150 writers, scholars sign letter to cancel cancel culture

Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 3:06 am

Good luck w this.

We've always had cancel culture in some form or other.

The worst kind is state censorship. Closest we've come to that recently is Section 28 and not letting Adams' voice on the TV and Count Duckula. I agree that the Count Duckula thing was ridiculous.

Second most severe is having big outlets be only place you can get strangers to hear you. Then being banned from them.

We now live in the age of the internet. If someone's cancelled? So what? Someone won't listen to their works. If they're banned off twitter? Go to Perler. Small platform right now but if it was a massive problem on Twitter, it would take off!

I'm prob pretty far left on social stuff & even I listen to some 'cancelled' people. Contrapoints is cancelled. Still like her, still follow her, still watch her videos.

It doesn't do anything except raise awareness of what someone has said or done. Then sensible people make up their own minds, silly people on the far right flock to them and silly people on the far left let the fact they're cancelled determine everything & never listen to 'cancelled' people. But those silly people on both sides? They're a minority.

Pretty much everyone will be 'cancelled' at some point, even though the right don't call it that. Don't like it? Stay apolitical/aphilosophical/never take a position. Most big thinkers can't do that.

Cancelling isn't censorship.

It isn't even denying someone the only platforms where strangers will be able to listen to them.

It's just awareness and disapproval.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 3:30 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
For someone so very very upset at being called woke, you sure are keen on swallowing woke nonsense hook line and sinker.

Yeah, that is a very skewed representation of Gamergate. Right at about the 7 second mark, the very beginning of what starts Gamergate it mentions that evidence comes up that a game reviewer gave a game favourable coverage because of a relationship he had. Do you know what that evidence was? It was a shitpost by the ex-boyfriend of the game developer who seemed to want to get back at his ex by making up accusations that she slept with the reviewer, as well as several other people, he never gave any actual evidence other than his words. The whole thing started out as an attack on this woman and few others, making claims about their promiscuity in trying to get ahead in the industry. This was the basis of claims about ethics in game journalism.

While indeed there were several claims about problems with game journalism that would be worth getting addressed, large focuses of protests were against women in the industry, amount to harassment. Which meant you had people actually concerned about journalism being used as shields by the very base of the movement largely just wanting to s**t against women. I was in the comment sections during those whole events, especially on YouTube, and although some were warranted criticisms, a good deal were anti-woman stuff that was super gross.

Out of curiosity, who made that video? I somewhat suspect that he was one of the people during Gamer Gate that may have taken part in the targeted harassment and or has incentive to portray it in a certain way. His claims that the anti-gamer gate crowd were saying all gamers were sexist is kind of super skewed, and his claim of fundraising for women as evidence to his side as taking credit by gamers, seems pretty gross since I got a good look first hand at the amount of misogynists that were part of the movement. Acting as if the people criticising a lot of what Gamer Gate was being used for were not gamers themselves.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 3:52 am

KT67 wrote:
I'm prob pretty far left on social stuff & even I listen to some 'cancelled' people. Contrapoints is cancelled. Still like her, still follow her, still watch her videos.

Contrapoints was an actual example of Cancel Culture run amok, due to the fact a lot of people just presumed her opinion based on a guest she had read a line in her video, and people wrongfully reading into her opinion while talking about an experience she had from a space that required giving pronouns. As opposed to someone like Rowling, she was pretty clear that she held no negative opinions on non-binary people, her history of content certainly said otherwise, and wanted to still pay respect to a trans activist even if he may or may not have had some problematic opinions. That was a case of people trying to cancel her because she would not cancel another.

I can presume that Natalie would not be okay with Rowling spreading her awful beliefs. Although, happened to in a quick search that points that her next video will be on what holding someone accountable means, which makes me wonder if it might be topic relevant.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 4:19 am

Bradleigh wrote:
What? I said before that I thinking that "canceling" is okay when it protects the wellbeing of people like minorities

So: If a group that had smaller membership than the LGB... crusade (making them the minority in this situation) were to cancel LGB... members, you'd have no issue with this? Nice to know.

Bradleigh wrote:
The male character was not killed by the lesbian, she is his sort of daughter character who actually tries to get revenge for him. The character that did kill him was a super buff lady that a bunch of transphobic gamers thought she was transgender due to her more masculine physique, they thought that it was being "woke" by making a transgender character badass and kill their middle aged white man character. Of course Abby as it turns out was not transgender, and was actually very much straight. The lesbian controversy comes from a couple years ago at E3 which featured the main female character from the first game, and this one, dancing with another woman and kissing her, putting it right up front that she is a lesbian. People complained that they altered her character, despite the fact a DLC already made it pretty clear that Ellie was a lesbian.

My mistake, not being a console peasant...The point, however, still stands, that the backlash was due to the demise of a character from the original and being forced to play as the character who was the casue of the demise, despite advertising\promotional materials implying you played as that character from the previous game throughout the new one.

Bradleigh wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
The interesting thing about computer games, is that the LGB... industry are so vocal in pushing for changes to suit their cause in games, yet don't actually appear go out and support the games by buying/playing them ( It might surprise you to know, but most people play computer games to relax with something "familiar", not to have propoganda shoved down their throats while playing). Maybe all games need to be produced with "neutral" characters (early FPS games like Doom or Quake, for instance), or a story around a specific character with no customization possible (went back to KC:D recently, and it was nice not having to waste hours designing a character before even starting to play (although the "tutorial" there certainly makes up for it).), in order to keep everyone (excluding the grievance industry) happy.

What makes you think that people who advocate for things like inclusivity and good representation do not support or buy games? Is that what Gamergate types told you? Games are art, and all art is political, even the exclusion of types of people is itself a political stance, what you call "neutral characters". Do you know what percentage of the population is LGBT? Do you know what percentage of characters in games are LGBT as opposed as not? The existence of an LGBT person is not political statement, thus should plenty of such characters in gaming, and while there have been some recent movements, for a lot of people it can still be difficult to get games that might share their experiences. It would be rare for me to find games that give non binary options.

The thing is: How many games require this to be added, compared to those where it has no impact on gameplay/story, and so isn't indicated one way or another, leaving the player to insert\imply as they wish? Maybe the "doom guy" is LGB... The point is that it has no impact on the game\story, so it isn't included. For all we know, 90% of the "neutral" characters are LGB...

As to the rarity of "non binary" choices: What percentage of the potential playerbase (not population) would want that, and why should a developer be required to expend more money on adding to a product (to silence the "whiney woke") when that same group aren't likley to buy the final product? Of course, you could always try a game where you don't play as a person (like "universe sandbox", where you can be "god", or "Heliborne", where you can play as an inanimate object such as an attack helicopter).

Bradleigh wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Insulting, cancelling, or bullying those who do not support your minority group\view is not a way to gain support for it, and is more likely to make people turn against the group (which in certain cases is starting to work)...Playing "victim" while doing so is likely to cause an even bigger backlash.

Why are you getting so emotional? It kind of sounds like you are getting a little worked up by people saying gay and trans rights. Do you want to talk about why it makes you feel uncomfortable?

I'm just sick of wokescolds whining about being "victims of bullying" while bullying others into following the "cult of woke", or submitting to their demands...but maybe that's how "woke" culture works - antagonise people then claim victimhood. Sadly, much more antagonism, and they lose any support from me.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 5:00 am

Bradleigh wrote:
KT67 wrote:

Contrapoints was an actual example of Cancel Culture run amok, due to the fact a lot of people just presumed her opinion based on a guest she had read a line in her video, and people wrongfully reading into her opinion while talking about an experience she had from a space that required giving pronouns. As opposed to someone like Rowling, she was pretty clear that she held no negative opinions on non-binary people, her history of content certainly said otherwise, and wanted to still pay respect to a trans activist even if he may or may not have had some problematic opinions. That was a case of people trying to cancel her because she would not cancel another.

I can presume that Natalie would not be okay with Rowling spreading her awful beliefs. Although, happened to in a quick search that points that her next video will be on what holding someone accountable means, which makes me wonder if it might be topic relevant.

She was cancelled before that though. For saying she liked it when people presumed pronouns rather than asking her pronouns. As they're generally correct and she likes that she passes. This was seen as transphobic to non-binary and non-passing trans people.

I think it's a silly reason to cancel her, it's her own preference and plenty of cis people can live their whole lives without being asked. All she really said was 'would you be doing this if I wasn't here?'

So I carry on listening to her.

JKR on the other hand is clearly transphobic, has been long before the latest controversy & people need to be aware of it. If anything, it saves time following her for her to repeat the cycle over and over.

Terfs who aren't religious types are still free to follow her.

Religious types would have a problem with her as she was (incorrectly in my view) cancelled in the 90s for 'promoting magic' :roll: .

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 6:05 am

Brictoria wrote:
So: If a group that had smaller membership than the LGB... crusade (making them the minority in this situation) were to cancel LGB... members, you'd have no issue with this? Nice to know.

If they were causing harm to the minority. And indeed I do, with the example of the T wing of LGBT, against a group known as the LGB alliance, which is an anti-trans group made up of lesbians, gays and bisexuals that do not like transgender people or their cause. The LGB Alliance use their platform as a minority group not for further the rights of LGB(T) but to mostly attack the rights of trans people. It is why I am a little uncomfortable with you only using "LGB", since leaving the "T" out has a bit of history now in being anti-trans.

Brictoria wrote:
My mistake, not being a console peasant...The point, however, still stands, that the backlash was due to the demise of a character from the original and being forced to play as the character who was the casue of the demise, despite advertising\promotional materials implying you played as that character from the previous game throughout the new one.

Hey, all gamers are valid, let's not have any elitism here. I don't remember any material implying that one would play as Joel, and the backlash was increased when people wrongfully thought that Abby was transgender. You yourself seemed to be under the incorrect assumption that she was a lesbian. Can we really trust your information on the whole thing?

Brictoria wrote:
The thing is: How many games require this to be added, compared to those where it has no impact on gameplay/story, and so isn't indicated one way or another, leaving the player to insert\imply as they wish? Maybe the "doom guy" is LGB... The point is that it has no impact on the game\story, so it isn't included. For all we know, 90% of the "neutral" characters are LGB...

I agree that any character where it is not stated could mean a character could conceivably be LGBT. There are things like Fallout 4 puts no restrictions on what gender romanceable companions could enter a relationship with, so everyone is conceivably bi. Although I honestly have a special place for Arcade and Veronica from New Vegas who are specifically gay and lesbian respectfully, rather than feeling a little inauthentic that absolutely everyone is bi. As I do with Sera and Dorian from Dragon Age Inquisition being lesbian and gay.

But let's also be real that a lot of people also end up upset when LGBT people read queerness into what straight cis people presume are also straight cis, since that is often considered the standard. People get really upset if people theorise that Madeline from Celeste might be a trans girl, or Frisk from Undertale is nonbinary. I am sure a lot of people got upset at the idea of She-Ra being a lesbian.

Brictoria wrote:
As to the rarity of "non binary" choices: What percentage of the potential playerbase (not population) would want that, and why should a developer be required to expend more money on adding to a product (to silence the "whiney woke") when that same group aren't likley to buy the final product? Of course, you could always try a game where you don't play as a person (like "universe sandbox", where you can be "god", or "Heliborne", where you can play as an inanimate object such as an attack helicopter).

I am not saying game companies should be forced include things, but that it could be nice for some options, maybe just some changes of being called they/them and other gender androgynos options, since a lot of character customisation can be difficult to get there. I am really looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 that promises to remove the gender divide in character customisation so that the player can pick and choose the parts of gender they want. It is noticeable in something like Skyrim where clothes are different depending on the gender of the character wearing it. New Horizons has been good for never even having a choose gender in favor of styles and no negative comments on mixing gendered items.

Brictoria wrote:
I'm just sick of wokescolds whining about being "victims of bullying" while bullying others into following the "cult of woke", or submitting to their demands...but maybe that's how "woke" culture works - antagonise people then claim victimhood. Sadly, much more antagonism, and they lose any support from me.

Wokescolds can be a bit of a problem, when they bully people because of perceived problems. But I also think that it is fair to say that a lot of LGBT people do find themselves the victims of bullying, the mere fact that characters like them get included in things like culture is treated as something political, where concerned mothers complain about the influence on their children while not caring at all by hetero characters.

May I ask what the "cult of woke" is? How is there unwarranted bullying? Are they being more antagonistic than the people calling them disgusting and freaks?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 6:23 am

KT67 wrote:
She was cancelled before that though. For saying she liked it when people presumed pronouns rather than asking her pronouns. As they're generally correct and she likes that she passes. This was seen as transphobic to non-binary and non-passing trans people.

I think it's a silly reason to cancel her, it's her own preference and plenty of cis people can live their whole lives without being asked. All she really said was 'would you be doing this if I wasn't here?'

I believe that it was actually a comment she made that being in a space where she had to give pronouns, a space opened up for non-binary people, activated her dysphoria a bit in that hers were not presumed. She admitted that it was a small inconvenience over all to the benefit it gives those who benefit from the environment, but also it should be fair that her feelings be considered even if it was not a call to change that environment, which it was not.

The controversy happened as I was coming into my acknowledgment as non-binary, which I looked up how other people were taking it and noted that I could see people reading too far into things. There was a particular NB YouTuber I liked on the matter called Luxander, who after Natalie explained herself they did like a literal 10 second video calling their opinion that Natalie was in their eyes free from being accused of being a Truscum since the accusations were pretty baseless.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 10:13 am

KT67 wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
KT67 wrote:

So I carry on listening to her.

JKR on the other hand is clearly transphobic, has been long before the latest controversy & people need to be aware of it. If anything, it saves time following her for her to repeat the cycle over and over.

Terfs who aren't religious types are still free to follow her.

Religious types would have a problem with her as she was (incorrectly in my view) cancelled in the 90s for 'promoting magic' :roll: .

She is still around so not everyone cancelled her. I am with her on pronouns. It would look silly if everyone went around asking for pronouns when its obvious 99.99999% of the time. Hopefilly this thought isn't common among trans people.

If their known pronouns are so important and they would rather try to not look it, wear a sign or get a custom tag with your pronoun.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2020, 12:02 pm

The world is too divided for universal cancelation.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 8:15 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Don't want to be cancelled, don't be a bigot, that simple. You can educate yourself so you won't say bigoted things.

No, it's not that simple. What you are failing to grasp is that the cancel culture has gone off the rails, batshit crazy. Not all targets are bigots.

Here's a perfect example: A couple of years ago, somebody posted a still from 'A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving' on Twitter. It showed the character Franklin, a person of color, sitting by himself on one side of the table where the Peanuts cherubs where about to enjoy a Thanksgiving feast. People went ape s**t, declaring Charles Schultz was a racist, who approved of segregation. Nuts!

The real racists were the heads of the network, who didn't even want black character in the show. Schultz said he wouldn't do it unless Franklin was included.

Your above quote reminds me of the the post 9/11 US, just after they passed the Patriot Act. I remember right wingers telling liberals opposed the legislation, that "If you don't have anything to hide, then why worry?"

Kind of a stupid argument, isn't it?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 8:51 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Here's a perfect example: A couple of years ago, somebody posted a still from 'A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving' on Twitter. It showed the character Franklin, a person of color, sitting by himself on one side of the table where the Peanuts cherubs where about to enjoy a Thanksgiving feast. People went ape s**t, declaring Charles Schultz was a racist, who approved of segregation. Nuts!

The real racists were the heads of the network, who didn't even want black character in the show. Schultz said he wouldn't do it unless Franklin was included.

So a real racism happened, Charles Schultz just needed to point to the real racists that were behind the decision that left what I am guessing was a half way compromise.

This sounds a little familiar to how there has been some talk about including LGBT characters in cartoons even for kids, that there was a some annoyance that it would end up relegated to the last episode rather than given the representation it deserved during the run, like In The Legend of Korra and I think Gravity Falls. Some interviews with creators has revealed that it was not their decision to only do so in the last episode, but that they had to fight to include it at all against the executive's wishes. There was Steven Universe that has had some controversy around how it ended, and interviews have revealed that it was partially because the executives warned them that if they included the LGBT themes that they wanted there was a strong likelihood that international sources of funds would drop out and they would not be able to fully finish their vision, but they stuck to their morals in doing it anyway.

At least my little insight has revealed that open dialogues from creators has revealed that all of these little half steps of fighting against network or company executives telling them not to include gay stuff has led to how something like She-Ra and the Princesses of Power able to be as gay as it was. And that only happens when creators can make it known that they fought for what was.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 10:05 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

So a real racism happened, Charles Schultz just needed to point to the real racists that were behind the decision that left what I am guessing was a half way compromise.

The issue is that the "whiney woke" in this case would cancel Mr Schultz without any chance to explain, leaping to judgement based on minimal facts (as presented from one side) and ignoring any evidence he may attempt to present, in order to assert their "superiority", when it only shows a lack of intelectual capacity and no capacity for critical thinking.

I will say this, though, "cancel culture" (aloing with the "whiney woke" cult in general) is certainly leading me to the opinion that "if it isn't woke, don't 'fix' it".

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2020, 10:39 pm

Brictoria wrote:
The issue is that the "whiney woke" in this case would cancel Mr Schultz without any chance to explain, leaping to judgement based on minimal facts (as presented from one side) and ignoring any evidence he may attempt to present, in order to assert their "superiority", when it only shows a lack of intelectual capacity and no capacity for critical thinking.

I will say this, though, "cancel culture" (aloing with the "whiney woke" cult in general) is certainly leading me to the opinion that "if it isn't woke, don't 'fix' it".

Kind of feels like you are building a strawman, which I won't say does not exist at all, but I think in general is a relative minority compared to most who would take a stand against apparent racism. And now there are plenty of ways to be able to release a statement that if done authentically can deflect criticism.

I don't think that the majority of those that cancel are themselves the unreasonable kind. It is why I would say that the Left can be its own worst enemy where that minority that is unreasonable has a larger impact as a bigger percentage and accusations that the Left finds more alarming. I think someone like ProJared would have been more fine it he was part of a culture that was more blasé certain behaviours, that were totally untrue.

I think that you have a bit of a twisted idea of those that cancel that they have necessarily have a lack of ability for critical thinking and just want to virtue signal some idea of superiority. Lots of people on the Right excuse all of Donald Trump's problematic characteristics because they lack critical thinking abilities.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Jul 2020, 4:59 am

Bradleigh wrote:
. And indeed I do, with the example of the T wing of LGBT, against a group known as the LGB alliance, which is an anti-trans group made up of lesbians, gays and bisexuals that do not like transgender people or their cause. The LGB Alliance use their platform as a minority group not for further the rights of LGB(T) but to mostly attack the rights of trans people. It is why I am a little uncomfortable with you only using "LGB", since leaving the "T" out has a bit of history now in being anti-trans.

Should note - the “LGB Alliance” has a very dodgy record on gay rights, including criticising the availability of AIDS treatment, LGBT clubs in schools, and drag queens.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/04/03/l ... ommission/

Bradleigh wrote:
It was a shitpost by the ex-boyfriend of the game developer who seemed to want to get back at his ex by making up accusations that she slept with the reviewer, as well as several other people, he never gave any actual evidence other than his words. The whole thing started out as an attack on this woman and few others, making claims about their promiscuity in trying to get ahead in the industry. This was the basis of claims about ethics in game journalism.

I think the more pertinent point is that the journalist she slept with (and I believe she admits sleeping with him) never actually reviewed her game. He made one passing reference to it being nominated for an award in an article he wrote months earlier.

GamerGate was founded on lies and never amounted to anything more than an attempt by some angry misogynistic fans to push women out of the industry. One would have to be very gullible to swallow the other excuses.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 6:44 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Drake wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Don't want to be cancelled, don't be a bigot, that simple. You can educate yourself so you won't say bigoted things.

Do you think that state of affairs will last forever? Nothing lasts forever.

How will you feel if some time in the future, the boot's on the other foot, and someone's saying "Don't want to be cancelled, don't be a liberal, that simple. You can educate yourself so you won't say liberal things."

Oh no, someone is being cancelled for being too inclusive and caring about minority groups!

I wonder which side of the political aisle has more of a history of things like book burnings and canceling people for things like being gay?

Does anyone remember Gamer Gate from a few years ago, just to inform that all the canceling in that were from the rightwing attacking women for being women in the game industry. And the type of people who wanted to ban The Last of Us 2 to because they were uncomfortable with a lesbian character and thought another did not look feminine enough. It is actually super common in things like pop or geek culture where you will see people on the right trying to cancel things because they think that it is something like forced diversity, or getting into a tizzy because a company said that they want to be inclusive of everyone except those who are exclusive themselves.

The reason that I imagine a lot of you might have heard about these canceling by those on the right is that it sounds ridiculous if they actually explained what their problems are, you maybe just get a vague idea that there was a controversy.

This is not a contest. The left doesn't get to do bad things because the right once did. The left's is much more vicious in the social media age as well.

We're going to disagree on everything here, so let's keep it to the mechanics. This isn't the same at all. This "right cancelling" only takes the form of trying to encourage people to vote with their wallets. Though I'll accept it can produce harassment too. But they're not trying to get people ripped off social media, games ripped off shelves, harassing investors and sponsors to withdraw support, shut down fundraisers, paint people as "ists" or get people fired from their jobs.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 7:41 am

Drake wrote:
This is not a contest. The left doesn't get to do bad things because the right once did. The left's is much more vicious in the social media age as well.

We're going to disagree on everything here, so let's keep it to the mechanics. This isn't the same at all. This "right cancelling" only takes the form of trying to encourage people to vote with their wallets. Though I'll accept it can produce harassment too. But they're not trying to get people ripped off social media, games ripped off shelves, harassing investors and sponsors to withdraw support, shut down fundraisers, paint people as "ists" or get people fired from their jobs.

I will actually fix if you opinion is just that the Right's version of canceling is just voting with wallet, because actually it is much more nefarious. In fact, it is acts like terrorism that come from the Right's idea of canceling "the enemy". It is some guy going to a mosque to shoot it up, some white supremacists lynching a couple black men, it is barely stopping short from calling people to arms if they infringe on "muh freedom", It is Alex Jones accusing people of being actual demons, it is the sort of harassment that you have to look up someone like Anita Sarkeesian to see the sort of personal attacks that can be levied because she dared criticised bits of game culture.

The Left might band together to shut down someone from saying bad things on social media, the Right is far more likely to have some guy go out with a gun and threaten to kill them, if not just a show that they can by creating an effigy that they shoot instead. Just look at the sort of thing where Right wingers were destroying Nike shoes or blowing up coffee makers after they pulled sponsorship from a conservative show that said racist things. Do you think the Left do those sorts of actual violent thing that the Left does?