Bartender explains why he swiftly kicks out Nazis

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 12:27 pm

magz wrote:
So, you think if Americans did the Holocaust, you would be proud of it? Because of the "being proud of your wars" thing?

Americans take pride in winning, and in "fighting for freedom". And we always did win to a point. And certainly in WWII we were on the right side and freed millions from Axis rule. But both things came to a screeching halt in the Sixties during the Vietnam war. We didnt win, and it was morally ambiguous.

But every country has monuments to war heroes, because war is how all countries form in the first place. Wars of liberation, was of unification, wars of conquest. Etc.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 12:55 pm

:chin:

How can we get them to take pride in winning the war on the coronavirus?

Perhaps messaging needs to be packaged in military terms to get people to pay attention and buy into it.

Like maybe using the US army’s marketing tagline “Army of One,” and their policy of “No man left behind,” politicians could get Americans to start caring about one another & public health Just Enough to work together to defeat this pandemic regardless of partisan politics, race, culture or creed. Don’t work together like polite Canadians; work together like soldiers who will let nothing stop them from winning and being proud of it!!

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 2:21 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
magz wrote:
Nazi insignia are illegal in my part of the world but even without it, I find it weird that anyone wants to identify with them today. What the ones who wear them mean? That it was okay to start a war that killed tens of millions?

In the US, we're taught to be proud of our wars.

I would think that is true everywhere.

It isn’t remotely true. The Germans and Japanese live with a deep sense of shame over the war.

For one thing I don’t think Americans are very proud of Vietnam, because you lost. Losers don’t feel pride. But they also know that they were morally in the wrong.

In any case, it doesn’t explain why there are so many Nazis in America.

Americans are generally proud of every war, as it has some plaque, memorial or museum somewhere.

Like the Vietnam memorial.

Pick an American Indian battle, British battle, Iraq invasion and there is something reminding us how great we are.

America could decimate a country, and there would be no shame, because we will be told it's the right thing to do.

In America, it's common practice to say, "Thank you for your service" to ex-soldiers.

It is not PC to ever try to shame military people or their actions.

Be the hero of your life.

Last edited by TheRobotLives on 17 Jul 2020, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 2:28 pm

magz wrote:
So, you think if Americans did the Holocaust, you would be proud of it? Because of the "being proud of your wars" thing?

Well, at the exact same time germany was rounding up jews and stuffing them into camps, we were rounding up japanese and stuffing them into camps. Just like today we're rounding up immigrants and stuffing them into camps. The people that stuffed japanese into camps WERE proud of their actions, cos they thought they were "doing good". The people today that are stuffing immigrants into camps think they're doing a good and righteous thing. Soooo, yes, americans as a whole do seem to feel good about it when they round up people and stuff them into camps.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jul 2020, 2:30 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
America could decimate a country, and there would be no shame, because we will be told it's the right thing to do.

Do you think it is the way it should be?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2020, 2:51 pm

magz wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Do you think it is the way it should be?

It seems like human nature.

A politician like Hitler or George Bush declares an enemy and we just accept their version of the truth.

Be the hero of your life.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jul 2020, 3:02 pm

If all human nature was good, there would be no need for penal code.

Do you think the behaviors you described are what there should be?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 12:09 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Pick an American Indian battle

You'll never hear me complain about celebrating the brave men who put Custer in the dirt. :mrgreen:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 7:24 am

goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

They’re pretty proud of the whole European settlers arriving and murdering nearly 100,000,000 Indigenous people. They celebrate it every year by eating a big deep fried turkey dinner and watching American football on TV.

I’ve never had deep fried turkey and I don’t watch football.
And you know Canada has a dismal record on the rights of the Native people.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 7:26 am

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Pick an American Indian battle

You'll never hear me complain about celebrating the brave men who put Custer in the dirt. :mrgreen:

I saw a bumper sticker that said,“ Custer had it coming.”
So true.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 2:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

They’re pretty proud of the whole European settlers arriving and murdering nearly 100,000,000 Indigenous people. They celebrate it every year by eating a big deep fried turkey dinner and watching American football on TV.

This is true. But at least where I live, people are acknowledging this more and more and siding with Indigenous peoples and protestors about both historical wrongs and present day failures of government. I think Indigenous people’s likely have the most support of the general population here on the West Coast out of all of Canada, because of our mutual cultural interests in environmental conservation.. and the least support in the hyper racist prairie provinces where resource extraction reigns supreme. We still have a long way to go in Canada, but at least we are learning, growing, and changing instead of pretending it isn’t a problem like our government likes to do - ie ignoring all the nations without access to clean drinking water.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 2:44 pm

Wonder if they will ever get any reparations here in the States and Canada.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 2:55 pm

Misslizard wrote:

You mean financial compensation for past wrongs?

Some are right now. My brother-in-law literally just received a cheque sometime in the last few weeks for something like $20,000.00 CDN for being a survivor of the 60’s scoop - even though he wasn’t born until ~1980/81; he and his siblings lives were dramatically altered by the affects that the residential school system had on his parents’ generation, which resulted in the kids bouncing around in foster homes etc.

So, yeah, to some extent for some atrocities reparations are in fact being paid now.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 3:04 pm

Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

Canada and the US both have atrocious records in this regard. It's silly for American and Canadian posters to try to bash each other based on the other country's records, it just amounts to arguing over who has a tastier s**t sandwich.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 3:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:

Canada and the US both have atrocious records in this regard. It's silly for American and Canadian posters to try to bash each other based on the other country's records, it just amounts to arguing over who has a tastier s**t sandwich.

It’s not just us, it’s all over the world.Like the Amazon.
I do get tired of people acting like America has a monopoly on evil.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2020, 3:55 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

You mean financial compensation for past wrongs?

Some are right now. My brother-in-law literally just received a cheque sometime in the last few weeks for something like $20,000.00 CDN for being a survivor of the 60’s scoop - even though he wasn’t born until ~1980/81; he and his siblings lives were dramatically altered by the affects that the residential school system had on his parents’ generation, which resulted in the kids bouncing around in foster homes etc.

So, yeah, to some extent for some atrocities reparations are in fact being paid now.

It’s a start, hopefully more will come to folks all over.