Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 8:42 pm

And things previously considered unacceptable in mainstream society have become acceptable, due to the same kind of activists. You could probably previously be canceled for having an interracial marriage, being a woman, being in a homosexual relationship, having active sex life out of marriage, and a number of other things like being found out as a lower class.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 9:41 pm

An important difference between so-called "cancel culture" and traditional boycotts is technological. Whereas traditional boycotts took weeks or months -- and a lot of hard work -- to organize, "canceling" on a social media platform like Twitter can happen much faster and much more easily, within minutes, and with hardly any effort at all on anyone's part.

Thus, a snowballing wave of "canceling" can all-too-easily erupt over a misunderstanding, often with little or no opportunity for the cancelee to address the misunderstanding in any way whatsoever, because nothing they say will even be seen by most of the people re-tweeting the crescendo of outrage. Large-scale social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook are inherently conducive to this kind of snap-judgment mob mentality.

And this isn't just something left-wingers do to right-wingers. Right-wingers do it too. It can also happen in totally apolitical contexts, involving accusations of just about any sort.

I've had problems in the past with snowballing misunderstandings of various kinds, even in relatively small online forums. The bigger and less closely moderated a forum is, the bigger the potential for snowballing misunderstandings.

Even on a message board where pseudonyms are used, it can be extremely frustrating to be suddenly accused of XYZ by ever-escalating numbers of people, who then ignore your replies. On a large-scale social media platform where people are using their legal names, the consequences can be far worse than mere frustration.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 9:43 pm

Anyhow, when right-wingers complain about "cancel culture," they typically are using that term to refer to a conjunction of three different things:

(1) The snap-judgment mob mentality intrinsic to large-scale social media platforms, at least in their current form, as discussed in my previous message above.

(2) The idea that shunning (even if the decision to shun is made in a much more measured, judicious way than the afore-mentioned snap-judgment mob mentality) is an appropriate punishment for certain kinds of socially unacceptable behavior.

(3) Various specific changes in social mores (things previously acceptable in mainstream society becoming unacceptable, or vice versa, due to the efforts of activists to educate the public).

These are three distinct sets of issues that, in my opinion, should be considered separately, rather than jumbled together under the single label "cancel culture."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 7:13 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Anyhow, when right-wingers complain about "cancel culture," they typically are using that term to refer to a conjunction of three different things:

(1) The snap-judgment mob mentality intrinsic to large-scale social media platforms, at least in their current form, as discussed in my previous message above.

(2) The idea that shunning (even if the decision to shun is made in a much more measured, judicious way than the afore-mentioned snap-judgment mob mentality) is an appropriate punishment for certain kinds of socially unacceptable behavior.

(3) Various specific changes in social mores (things previously acceptable in mainstream society becoming unacceptable, or vice versa, due to the efforts of activists to educate the public).

These are three distinct sets of issues that, in my opinion, should be considered separately, rather than jumbled together under the single label "cancel culture."

What about things that people do not say or do not because they find it wrong or at least not wrong enough to cancel but because of the combination fear or consequences and perception of offensiveness? Are those truly unacceptable?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 7:36 am

Cancel Culture is neoliberal and believes in the individual. It's just 'left wing' within that.

A true Marxist society wouldn't have celebrities to cancel.

Notice that private individuals don't really get cancelled. Just Youtube Celebrities and other Celebrities.

It's very hard not to hold up heroes though. I think it requires an aspie mind which is more autistic than mine to manage it.

I'm only disappointed in people I held in high regard to begin with.

Cancel culture doesn't really do anything. It's just a critique.

Right wing censorship of the early 20th century was a lot worse. It made things illegal, like Lady Chatterley's Lover.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 5:48 pm

KT67 wrote:
Cancel Culture is neoliberal and believes in the individual. It's just 'left wing' within that.

A true Marxist society wouldn't have celebrities to cancel.

Notice that private individuals don't really get cancelled. Just Youtube Celebrities and other Celebrities.

It's very hard not to hold up heroes though. I think it requires an aspie mind which is more autistic than mine to manage it.

I'm only disappointed in people I held in high regard to begin with.

Cancel culture doesn't really do anything. It's just a critique.

Right wing censorship of the early 20th century was a lot worse. It made things illegal, like Lady Chatterley's Lover.

It gets people in companies fired.

Right Wing cancel culture in the mid 20th century was very bad ie. McCarthyism

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 2:11 pm

I enjoy canceling people. Instead of getting into fights with them, i just cease all interaction with them, block them, pretend they don't exist. This Is my right, this is everyone's right. Now if a lot of users here wanted to cancel another user on this forum for posting bigotry, maybe they should learn to STFU. There are consequences.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2020, 7:58 pm

Boris Johnson just canceled Christmas in Britain.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2020, 10:01 pm

I take it the Cancel Culture will end up cancelling itself.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 12:25 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Yeah because of COVID.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 1:15 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It gets people in companies fired.

Right Wing cancel culture in the mid 20th century was very bad ie. McCarthyism

The tide has turned and now there's 71 million Americans who feel they can't speak about topics without being cancelled by the left.

I think there will be a equilibrium where the current polarisation will balance itself out. The onus is on the left to let some air out of the "tension balloon". The right need to also stop brainlessly bleating slogans.

Last edited by cyberdad on 20 Dec 2020, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 1:16 am

League_Girl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Yeah because of COVID.
Ho-Ho-Ho....Cough, Cough, Cough