Page 2 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 6:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
Yes but everyone wears pants and collared shirts and dresses - checkmate

Unless they wears a sari. Or a quilt. Or these really elegant coats of Palestinian women. Or walonki.
Anyway, do you really believe culture is all about fashion?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 7:37 am

White supremacy is what they teach in school and college.

White people throughout time conquered and enslaved others.

Be the hero of your life.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 7:45 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
I hope they don't teach white supremacy in schools ;)

TheRobotLives wrote:
Is that what they teach in schools around you?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 7:56 am

White supremacy is any belief that has as it front that the descendant's of proto-Indo-Europeans who came from the steppe's around the Caucasus mountain's around 4500 BCE are a superior race.

The European definition comes more from the Nazi's and includes Indo-Iranians like Iranians or Hindu's,Adolf Eichmann spent 5 years studying in Kashmir for instance and included Iranians and Hindu's as Aryans,as the Nazi's referred to PIE.

In America it's more about white skin and dislike of anyone not white,American white supremacists hate Hispanic's and east Asian Indians (Hindi's)who are actually proto-Indo-Europeans.American white supremacists don't like anyone with dark skin,the ancestry doesn't seem to matter.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 8:00 am

magz wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
I hope they don't teach white supremacy in schools ;)

TheRobotLives wrote:
Is that what they teach in schools around you?

What is taught in schools is Euro-centric and doesn't focus enough on African, Asian or Semitic history but is not bluntly white supremacist.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 8:02 am

magz wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
I hope they don't teach white supremacy in schools.
"They" do, but the lessons are not overt.  White supremacy is "taught" by ignoring the valuable contributions to science by non-white people.  For instance, while a general-science class might spend most of its time on inventions and innovations since the Industrial Revolution, focusing on the works of Crick, DuPont, Edison, Einstein, Ford, Michelson, Morely, and Watson, it will barely mention people like:

Benjamin Banneker (November 9, 1731 – October 9, 1806): African American astronomer, mathematician and author who who constructed America’s first functional clock.

Charles Drew (3 June 1904 – 1 April 1950): American physician, surgeon and medical researcher known as the inventor of the blood bank.

Dr. Daniel Hale Williams (January 18, 1858 – August 4, 1931): African American physician who performed the first prototype open-heart surgery.

Emmett Chappelle (born October 25, 1925): African American scientist and researcher and a recipient of 14 U.S. patents, who discovered that a particular combination of chemicals caused all living organisms to emit light.

Ernest Everett Just (August 14, 1883 – October 27, 1941): African American biologist and author known for his work on egg fertilization and the structure of the cell.

Garrett Morgan (March 4, 1877 – August 27, 1963): African American inventor who made both the first traffic signal invention and the first patented gas mask.

George Washington Carver (January 1864 – January 5, 1943): American scientist and inventor and an extraordinary explorer and innovator of agricultural science.

James West (born February 10, 1931): African-American inventor who developed the microphone in the 1960s; holds 47 U.S. and more than 200 foreign patents on microphones and techniques for making polymer foil-electrets.

Mae Jemison (born October 17, 1956): American physician and NASA astronaut known for being the first black woman to travel in space.

Marie Maynard Daly (April 16, 1921 – October 28, 2003): The first African American woman to earn a Ph.D. in Chemistry.

Norbert Rillieux (March 17, 1806 – October 8, 1894): American inventor and engineer, best remembered for his invention of the multiple-effect evaporator.

Patricia Bath (born November 4, 1942): American ophthalmologist and inventor known for being the first African American woman doctor to receive a patent for a medical invention.

Percy Lavon Julian (April 11, 1899 – April 19, 1975):African American researcher known for being a pioneer in the chemical synthesis of medicinal drugs from plants.

Philip Emeagwali (born August 23, 1954): Nigerian-born scientist and inventor known for first using a Connection Machine supercomputer to help analyze petroleum fields.

Prof. Samuel Massie Jr. (July 3, 1919 – April 10, 2005): An organic chemist who was the first African American to teach at the U.S. Naval Academy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 8:30 am

Romofan wrote:
I'm "black" (well, brownish), and many of the "black" people I know appear to be "black supremacists". It may often be defensive because of historical events, but nevertheless, there we are. I've known a fair number of Asians closely (involved in college groups), and I met some pretty "supremacist" types who thought their group was the best. And so on.

I think a certain amount of "my group is best!" is natural, if not completely healthy. I know that such opinions are (rightfully) anathema at Universities...but the World is not a University. Yet.

If by "white supremacy" one merely means a preference for one's (rather successful) group, well some of that seems inevitable (if lamentable) to me. It's great that such attitudes are much less frequent these days.

More aggressive stances, like "whites are the only group that should be allowed here!" suck...but again, many other countries have lots of folk who think that way.

FWIW I think the issue is waaay overblown these days. If you run into Nazis, or Klansman, they may be provocateurs on a government payroll. I am serious; there are thousands of such scoundrels.
You make some excellent points.
I tend to see white people today being possessed by a peculiar self loathing. It seems to me that most of this "White Supremacists" scare is generated by certain white people themselves, mostly within academia and the media. IMHO.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 8:56 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
I tend to see white people today being possessed by a peculiar self loathing.

What meant by this,can you elaborate,give a example?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 9:22 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

What I've seen in the media; White people are usually overly critical and condemning of themselves and their culture, portraying it as bland, generic or banal. (Sitcoms do this a lot). The NY Times is full of such remarks. Also, I've heard a number of academics, including friends of mine saying that they live in shame of being white and even stating that white people have no culture of their own.
Disclaimer: This is what I have heard. I'm sure someone will take issue but I can't speak to anyone else's experience, only my own.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 9:23 am

White people seem to have no culture of their own because they have assimilated many aspects of other cultures.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 9:34 am

Fnord wrote:
White people seem to have no culture of their own because they have assimilated many aspects of other cultures.

As have other cultures assimilated aspects of "White culture".

The question then is: What is "White culture"? The "White" aspect seems to cover European descent (for the most part), yet even in this section, there are many different cultures (at a high level, most european countries have their own distinct cultures, for example).

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 9:37 am

Fnord wrote:

1. I am "white" and I live in a very specific culture...
2. In general, it may be a bias of members of a dominant culture to view themselves as "cultureless" - because their cultural biases are all around them. Take eye contact - I learned it's an issue of AS only from books because my culture does not care for eye contact either way - but in Anglo-Saxon countries, lack of eye contact gets instantly noticed.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 9:40 am

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
I hope they don't teach white supremacy in schools.
[color=black]"They" do, but the lessons are not overt.  White supremacy is "taught" by ignoring the valuable contributions to science by non-white people.  For instance, while a general-science class might spend most of its time on inventions and innovations since the Industrial Revolution, focusing on the works of Crick, DuPont, Edison, Einstein, Ford, Michelson, Morely, and Watson, it will barely mention people like:

Benjamin Banneker (November 9, 1731 – October 9, 1806): African American astronomer, mathematician and author...

I think overt v/s covert is really important. Overt white supremacy is easy to spot. The people engaging this that type of behavior are vocal about it and there's no denying it. Covert can be so sneaky. A lot of people engage in that without even realizing it. Don't get me wrong, some people do know it, but some don't.

I don't think teachers who tell little kids stories about happy 'Indians' and pilgrims are necessarily knowingly engaging in some white supremacy agendas, but they certainly keep it going. I'm not saying we ought to tell preschoolers about the attempted genocide of a group of people, or how colonizers stole their land and caused the extinction of their main food source or took their kids from them and contaminated the land they forced them into or created a cycle of poverty that is near impossible to escape or anything... just saying maybe they shouldn't feed small kids a story of bs that makes the victors and their victims look like a happy little family. It's just another example of how pervasive and indirect it is.

But hey, history is written by the victors and who wants to make themselves look like jerks.

I think that is important to, people not wanting to look like jerks. I think that's how a lot of covert white supremacy is unintentional.

People know what they know and we're all shaped and molded into the people we are by not just who we are at the core, but through life experiences. Covert white supremacy is often fueled by people who have no experience with overt white supremacy. If you can't see it, it's not real mentality, you know? Like, racism doesn't exist because I've never seen it, or that the police really don't treat back men unfairly because they have never been pulled over for dwb, driving while black. When your reality is so different from other people it can be hard to see where the other side is coming from. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people get defensive and don't want to seem like the bad guy, so instead of trying to understand the perspective and or life experiences of those who have been oppressed, hurt, and so on by white supremacy, they pretend the covert type is imagined and dig there heels in and that only seems to me to feed into it all.

Anyway, I think white supremacy can be covert or overt. I think it can be intentional or unintentional. I think it is when people set in place and feed the idea that white people are the ideal, be it in culture, image, religion, whatever, and that they ought to be the ones in power and in control because of the notion that they are the ideal. I also think that is an oversimplified explanation and that I haven't had enough coffee to try to find a better way to say it. That's and I'm not the most articulate person on the planet.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 9:50 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
... I don't think teachers who tell little kids stories about happy 'Indians' and pilgrims are necessarily knowingly engaging in some white supremacy agendas, but they certainly keep it going. I'm not saying we ought to tell preschoolers about the attempted genocide of a group of people, or how colonizers stole their land and caused the extinction of their main food source or took their kids from them and contaminated the land they forced them into or created a cycle of poverty that is near impossible to escape or anything... just saying maybe they shouldn't feed small kids a story of bs that makes the victors and their victims look like a happy little family. It's just another example of how pervasive and indirect it is...
I think teachers should do both -- drop the BS and teach the truth that America was founded on the precepts of slavery, subjugation, and conquest by genocide.  That America was not founded as a Christian nation, but that Christianity was twisted and perverted to "justify" the atrocities that started with the Founding Fathers and culminated in the crisis of the current administration.

We're at a crossroads, people; make no mistake about that.  Events that transpire in the next few months will determine if America as a unified idea survives intact, crippled, or only as a memory.

History is written by those who survive.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 9:54 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

What I've seen in the media; White people are usually overly critical and condemning of themselves and their culture, portraying it as bland, generic or banal. (Sitcoms do this a lot). The NY Times is full of such remarks. Also, I've heard a number of academics, including friends of mine saying that they live in shame of being white and even stating that white people have no culture of their own.
Disclaimer: This is what I have heard. I'm sure someone will take issue but I can't speak to anyone else's experience, only my own.

I'm not greatly into pop culture but seen some of what you observe.White guilt is common in those into the "white privilege" meme.

As far as whites not having a culture in America,all of America is a mix of culture really.All ethnicities in America have given up things.We are a mixed Society but I don't feel without a culture.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 12:20 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I think overt v/s covert is really important. Overt white supremacy is easy to spot. The people engaging this that type of behavior are vocal about it and there's no denying it. Covert can be so sneaky. A lot of people engage in that without even realizing it. Don't get me wrong, some people do know it, but some don't.

I don't think teachers who tell little kids stories about happy 'Indians' and pilgrims are necessarily knowingly engaging in some white supremacy agendas, but they certainly keep it going. I'm not saying we ought to tell preschoolers about the attempted genocide of a group of people, or how colonizers stole their land and caused the extinction of their main food source or took their kids from them and contaminated the land they forced them into or created a cycle of poverty that is near impossible to escape or anything... just saying maybe they shouldn't feed small kids a story of bs that makes the victors and their victims look like a happy little family. It's just another example of how pervasive and indirect it is.

But hey, history is written by the victors and who wants to make themselves look like jerks.

I think that is important to, people not wanting to look like jerks. I think that's how a lot of covert white supremacy is unintentional.

People know what they know and we're all shaped and molded into the people we are by not just who we are at the core, but through life experiences. Covert white supremacy is often fueled by people who have no experience with overt white supremacy. If you can't see it, it's not real mentality, you know? Like, racism doesn't exist because I've never seen it, or that the police really don't treat back men unfairly because they have never been pulled over for dwb, driving while black. When your reality is so different from other people it can be hard to see where the other side is coming from. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people get defensive and don't want to seem like the bad guy, so instead of trying to understand the perspective and or life experiences of those who have been oppressed, hurt, and so on by white supremacy, they pretend the covert type is imagined and dig there heels in and that only seems to me to feed into it all.

Anyway, I think white supremacy can be covert or overt. I think it can be intentional or unintentional. I think it is when people set in place and feed the idea that white people are the ideal, be it in culture, image, religion, whatever, and that they ought to be the ones in power and in control because of the notion that they are the ideal. I also think that is an oversimplified explanation and that I haven't had enough coffee to try to find a better way to say it. That's and I'm not the most articulate person on the planet.

I think you made a very important distinction.
One thing is overt racism. Another thing is bias.
Bias is probably inevitable, human brains try to use familiar patterns with new data all the time. I think calling a biased person "racist" would be hurtful and counter-productive. The only remedy to bias I know is learning a bigger picture.

An example: I couldn't understand all the "save the rainforests" calls. Where I live, you leave some ground alone and in ten years, you have a forest. In fifty years, you have a wilderness.
I had to learn that forests in my climate are actually unusual in their regenerability. Learning that parts of Amazonian Forest that regrew after population dropped in 16th century are still distinguishable from parts of Amazonian Forest untouched by humans made me realise how different these ecosystems are.
I think it may be very similar with racial bias. People just don't know how realities of others can differ from their own realities.