Page 6 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 3:50 am

vermontsavant wrote:
^^^
Ainu have decent Russian orthodox community,they could have been indigenous Siberians who intermingled with western Russians.

The Ainu genes are actually indigenous to Japan. Despite their phenotype.
https://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com/7 ... -the-ainu/

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Aug 2020, 3:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
I've wondered why Anime/manga characters look white, and from what I've gathered; they don't. To asian people, anime/manga characters look asian.

Scholars such as John Dower (“War Without Mercy,” 1987) and Frederik Schodt (“Dreamland Japan,” 1996) have noted that the Japanese practice of rendering themselves with Caucasian physical features began during the Meiji Era (1868-1912), when Japan began to adopt, assimilate and internalize virtually all things Western: fashion, educational and political systems, and artistic and literary styles to name a few. At its most extreme, Meiji thinkers even advocated intermarriage with whites to kairyō suru (improve upon) the Japanese race.

This desire for racial improvement found graphic expression in the practice of the Japanese reimagining themselves as Caucasian in appearance. According to Dower, during the Sino-Japanese War (1894-95) woodblock prints portrayed Japanese combatants as “essentially Caucasian figures: tall and fair-complexioned, with long, almost rectangular faces.” The Chinese, however, retained their racial features and were depicted as short, round-faced and yellow-skinned.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/ ... ans-court/

Pre-Meiji Japanese art already associated fair complexion with beauty, femininity and higher class:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Last edited by magz on 07 Aug 2020, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 3:51 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Surely the valuing of paler skin in non-white countries counts as a form of classism rather than racism? Since it's not about association with white people, but rather a presumption about what kind of work you do. Thus I don't see how that can be sorted under the same heading as actual White Supremacists.
I'm approaching this from the perspective of white skin color rather than a white "race"; but you can witness what I'm talking about in cultures where white-skinned foreigners are given greater deference than dark-skinned natives.

Racism and classism are closely related, and European features are often preferred by members of non-European cultures.  For evidence, you need look no further than Anime, Manga, and all their various genres -- you will rarely (if ever) see a character that has distinctly Asian features unless that character is a very minor one, even though Anime and Manga are created mostly by Asian artists; and although the characters' names are usually Asian, they still usually look European (and almost never African).

You can also see advertisements on billboards and television broadcasts for skin-whitening creams in the Philippines and India (at least I have).  People from those countries also come to the Los Angeles area to have cosmetic surgery to make them look more "white" (i.e., nose jobs, permanent hair removal, bone sculpting, removal of the epicanthic fold, et cetera).

There is nothing "supreme" about being "white", so why do even non-white people act as if the opposite was true?

In my short period of being cosmetics nerd, I learned about it: East Asian elegantes - especially South East Asian ones - can do craziest things not get tanned. Being tanned is associated with working in fields, thus, being lower social class.
Similar associations were common in Renaissance Europe, probably other periods, too, but from 20th century onwards, social meaning of tan changed in Europe.
When I was a child and teenager, the most fashionable look here was being tanned to impossibility - strong tan suggested you could afford exotic holidays. The market reacted with artificial solaria, health concerns were raised and as I entered adulthood, unnaturally strong tan became associated with bad taste. Current fashion for fitness promotes "natural" tan suggesting you spend at least some time outdoors.

Exactly

In most cultures during most of history "tan equals you work out in the fields", ergo you are working class.

Ergo "light equals aristocracy".

In traditional China having dangerously long fingernails was also a mark of aristocracy. For the same reason. A peasant does manual labor and wears down his fingernails. And aristocrat doesnt do manual labor ergo long fingernails (on both genders) is a badge of high status.

Europe had a similar thing about skin color (light equals high status), but then in the twentieth century (in Europe and in White America) it flipped. Working stiffs spent all day IN doors in factories and offices. And having a tan was a mark being able to afford vacations to the Riviera or to Florida, and became a mark of high status.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 4:25 am

magz wrote:
Pre-Meiji Japanese art already associated fair complexion with beauty, femininity and higher class:

Pre-Meiji modernised Japan did associate fair complexion with aristocracy. This was common in much of Asia.

It was therefore not difficult for the Japanese (and indeed throughout the colonised world) to internalise powerful phenotypes in their art. Japanese Manga and anime are merely a reflection of how the Japanese psych aspires to be.

I posed this question to Kibrabhalato regarding Mezistos in Mexico who are contradictory in taking pride in their Maya ancestry but aspiring to have Spanish caucasian features,

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 7:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
^^^
Ainu have decent Russian orthodox community,they could have been indigenous Siberians who intermingled with western Russians.

The Ainu genes are actually indigenous to Japan. Despite their phenotype.
https://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com/7 ... -the-ainu/
Ok,but the main point is there likely intermingling with western Russians,not where they originally came from.

The truth is we don't exactly know where anyone came from,there even questioning whether PIE's came from the Eurasian steppe.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 11:31 am

White Supremacy is the belief that white people are superior to all other races and should therefore dominate every facet of society -- education, employment, housing, and the media.

People who hold these beliefs sometimes go by other names, including Alt-Right, Identarians and Race Realists.  However, this is simply a re-branding -- a new name for an old hatred.

Other white supremacist groups include the Ku Klux Klan and neo-Nazis.  But most white supremacists aren't affiliated with an organized group.  Some also take measures to distance themselves from known hate groups, like the KKK.  This lack of affiliation makes them harder to track, and also means that any groups that do emerge tend to be extremely flexible and porous.

Some Klansmen still favor white robes and hoods.  But groups like the Alt-Right, overwhelmingly made up of Millennial men, prefer khakis and collared shirts.  They're active on social media and employ irony and sarcasm in their messaging.

But the goal of each white supremacist is the same: A white-ruled ethno-state where each race lives in a separate nation -- separate, but not necessarily equal.

White supremacists and their ilk see diversity as a threat.  A popular white supremacist slogan is, "Diversity is a code word for white genocide" -- a sense of white victimhood is key to the movement, thus leading to a false sense that whites are under siege and being deliberately dispossessed by hostile entities who wish to usher in a new multicultural order.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Aug 2020, 11:38 am

I like to wear khakis and collared shirts :chin:

Fnord wrote:
White supremacists and their ilk see diversity as a threat. A popular white supremacist slogan is, "Diversity is a code word for white genocide" -- a sense of white victimhood is key to the movement, thus leading to a false sense that whites are under siege and being deliberately dispossessed by hostile entities who wish to usher in a new multicultural order.
In my perception, perpetuating siege mentality (I think it's often intentionally fed, for political gain) is a very important ingredient of current unhealthy radicalisation. Here, it's more about LGBT not race but the narrative is strikingly similar.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 11:46 am

Sarcasm - Check
Khakis - Check
Collared Shirt - Check
White Hood - Does red count

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 11:49 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Sarcasm - Check
Khakis - Check
Collared Shirt - Check
White Hood - Does red count?

"He's not one of us!"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 11:52 am

^^^
Is that you Ferris,if so welcome the hell back.I didn't think they would ban you forever.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 11:55 am

It is I VS , I am chancing my luck but I am guilty of a bit of White Ferret Supremacy sometimes :P

@Fnord cute :heart:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 11:56 am

Thanks.  Welcome back!  I hope you can stay longer this time.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 12:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
Thanks.  Welcome back!  I hope you can stay longer this time.

Thanks Fnord , I will make a concerted effort to stay but you know what I'm like , sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut :roll:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 12:07 pm

It's very good to have you back Ferris

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 12:08 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

I'm touched VS :heart:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 1:05 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

I'm touched VS :heart:

Is that real or sarcasm,maybe it's me because I'm sarcastic,so I'm having Freudian moment.