Page 7 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 4:10 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
The point is that all mentioned groups are sometimes discriminated due to features they were born with. That's wrong, so setting some rules that prevent the discrimination can help.

Pereventing discrimination is not the same thing as affirmative action, and vice versa.

Quote:
Who says they can't?

Feminists, primarily.

Quote:
m. You want a men's rights movement? Start building one. Be the change you want to see.

There already is one. It's quite small and fragile, and it's beset on all sides by feminists saying it shouldn't exist at all and you all just hate women don't you? Which is weird, since many of the prominent figures in the movement are women. They get called alt-right nazi traditionalist gender-traitors, instead. By all these people who are "just interested in equality".

Here's what it looks like when you try to attend a simple talk on father's issues:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Aug 2020, 5:14 pm

As several posters have noted, this was originally posted in The Haven. This place is intended to be a support section of the forum. Rather than debating a user's ideas, generally it is better to try to support the user through their problem.

That said, it does not appear that the OP is in any distress, and posted in The Haven by mistake. They have also indicated that they would be happy for the thread to be moved. Therefore, I am going to move it to PPR - where ideas of all stripes get torn to shreds.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 5:15 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
The point is that all mentioned groups are sometimes discriminated due to features they were born with. That's wrong, so setting some rules that prevent the discrimination can help.

Pereventing discrimination is not the same thing as affirmative action, and vice versa.

Quote:
Who says they can't?

Feminists, primarily.

Quote:
m. You want a men's rights movement? Start building one. Be the change you want to see.

There already is one. It's quite small and fragile, and it's beset on all sides by feminists saying it shouldn't exist at all and you all just hate women don't you? Which is weird, since many of the prominent figures in the movement are women. They get called alt-right nazi traditionalist gender-traitors, instead. By all these people who are "just interested in equality".

Here's what it looks like when you try to attend a simple talk on father's issues:

No, but they often go hand in hand.

Some feminists.

Good. Have you taken any part in it? Kinda sounds like you'd want to.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 5:53 am

No, they are quite separate.

Some feminists who are thought leaders, Some feminists who are politicians.
Some feminists who are authors. Some feminists who are educators. Some feminists who are celebrities. If some random person on the street says "I'm a feminist because I like equality", that doesn't weigh very heavily when put against the words and actions of people with actual influence to shape the movement, nor does it disprove the observable reality of supposed proponents of equality actively working against that goal when it doesn't favour them.

Yes, I have partaken in some small capacity. My paying attention to it is largely why I'm aware of many of these things.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 9:30 am

I agree with you Dorkseid, Misogyny is wrong and so is Misandry.
Equal rights is great but the feminist movement nowadays is about putting men and women in competition (war) with each other rather than in cooperation with each other.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 9:33 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Equal rights is great but the feminist movement nowadays is about putting men and women in competition (war) with each other rather than in cooperation with each other.

Sadly, what was once a movement seeking equality for all has moved into one where a number of the members seem to be pushing, at times, for superiority instead.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 10:59 am

Brictoria wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Sadly, what was once a movement seeking equality for all has moved into one where a number of the members seem to be pushing, at times, for superiority instead.

This is also true. What's a problem is that many people think all feminists are like that. Of course, there are those who get benefits for demonizing feminist movement as a whole, like some very conservative people who want to take away the rights that women now have, so it's no wonder that "feminism is evil" spreads. Not saying that all conservatives are like that, but some. I think people should learn to regocnize and have the courage to call out on it when they see misandry instead of calling it feminism. Yes, a feminist can practice misandry, but seeing one feminist or a particular group of feminists practicing misandry doesn't make the movement itself misandrist.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 11:01 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

This is also true. What's a problem is that many people think all feminists are like that. Of course, there are those who get benefits for demonizing feminist movement as a whole, like some very conservative people who want to take away the rights that women now have, so it's no wonder that "feminism is evil" spreads. Not saying that all conservatives are like that, but some. I think people should learn to regocnize and have the courage to call out on it when they see misandry instead of calling it feminism. Yes, a feminist can practice misandry, but seeing one feminist or a particular group of feminists practicing misandry doesn't make the movement itself misandrist.

In other words people need to quit generalizing, right?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 11:04 am

We also have TERFs, Trans exclusionary radical feminist.They are transphobic and will attack transwomen by saying they want to get into women spaces and that they are just men and they are just predators. They also do not believe in gender and think it's all based on gender stereotypes. And they hate being called TERFs so they have created the "gender critical" label. Their sub got banned on Reddit.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 11:50 am

League_Girl wrote:
We also have TERFs, Trans exclusionary radical feminist.They are transphobic and will attack transwomen by saying they want to get into women spaces and that they are just men and they are just predators. They also do not believe in gender and think it's all based on gender stereotypes. And they hate being called TERFs so they have created the "gender critical" label. Their sub got banned on Reddit.

That sort of thing exactly, there bad feminists that are disliked by the larger intersectional feminists. At least in my circles that push for intersectionality that takes into consideration things like class, race, sexual orientation and other aspects of gender such as transgenderism there is not such a war of misandry. The patriarchy is not every man, and fighting against aspects like toxic masculinity that encourage things like men bottling up their emotions would go a long way to helping men.

I still hold to as a feminist, and misandry has no place in it. The misandrists are seen as irrational and just not representative. It is like those people who were buying the story that Bernie Sanders said that a woman cannot be president, rather than a more likely story than he might have said that a woman would face greater hurdles to be elected, which they would, not even saying a woman should not, and he has been saying it for decades.

A few loud fringe misandrists that get the attention of some anti-feminist reactionaries so that they continue to push their agenda, are not a representation.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 12:07 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Right. I should've probably just said that from the start and left it at that. :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 12:28 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Right. I should've probably just said that from the start and left it at that. :lol:

Isn't that the purpose of this thread, to generalize feminism as universally evil because some feminists don't prioritize men's concerns in the way OP wants? :roll:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 5:16 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Isn't that the purpose of this thread, to generalize feminism as universally evil because some feminists don't prioritize men's concerns in the way OP wants? :roll:

After reading the OP's comments, I'd say no. I think his point was to judge misandry, not feminism, but ended up blaming feminists cause the misandry he's faced has come from people who identify as feminists. I think he understands that not all feminists practice misandry and that you don't need to be a feminist to be misandrist.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 9:52 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Do you hate the nra and it’s members or do you hate Wayne Robert LaPierre?

Or to put another way if the KKK has nice people in it does that change that it’s leadership and repersentives are horrible?

If a leaders of a organization say and do stuff shouldn’t you judged the organization based off its leadership actions?

I think both feminism and nra have lost their ways, both now exist to make their leaders money and exist to serve that purpose. Time to walk away from both.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 10:19 pm

Misandry is what has corrupted feminism and given it a bad name, at least in my opinion.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2020, 10:39 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Misandry is what has corrupted feminism and given it a bad name, at least in my opinion.

That and Intersectionality...