China is Already Replacing Russia in Siberia

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2024, 4:08 pm

If China reasserts itself in Siberia it would be quite an irony.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 2:29 am

Siberia was never really under much influence from China other than the silk road passed through that region. the people in that region have little or no kinship or remote interest in China or Han culture other than $$. I am sure Putin would not be overly happy given he is so preoccupied with imperial ambitions.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 10:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
Siberia was never really under much influence from China other than the silk road passed through that region. the people in that region have little or no kinship or remote interest in China or Han culture other than $$. I am sure Putin would not be overly happy given he is so preoccupied with imperial ambitions.

Are you familiar with the region known as Outer Manchuria? The Manchus literally ran China for several hundred years. The Manchus were running China when Outer Manchuria was ceded to the Russian Empire.

Outer Manchuria comprises the modern-day Russian areas of Primorsky Krai, southern Khabarovsk Krai, the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, the Amur Oblast and the island of Sakhalin.

To insist the region was 'never really under much influence from China' conflicts with even a cursory reading of the region's history. China and Central Asian Muslims were the main two cultures by which North Asian cultures had contact with the rest of the world.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 3:16 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Are you familiar with the region known as Outer Manchuria? The Manchus literally ran China for several hundred years. The Manchus were running China when Outer Manchuria was ceded to the Russian Empire.

Outer Manchuria comprises the modern-day Russian areas of Primorsky Krai, southern Khabarovsk Krai, the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, the Amur Oblast and the island of Sakhalin.

To insist the region was 'never really under much influence from China' conflicts with even a cursory reading of the region's history. China and Central Asian Muslims were the main two cultures by which North Asian cultures had contact with the rest of the world.

People just dont like living in these parts of the world same with Alaska, N Canada & other areas in the artic circle.

Maybe a 1000 years of global warming will change that but for now most Chinese live in the southern regions of China.

- George Bernie Shaw

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 3:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:

What an inane post? Like... whats your point dude?

First off: the ancient Silk Route went through Central Asia, and not through Siberia. No branch of the silk route was north of what is now Kazakhstan.

The aboriginal peoples of Siberia may not identify with the Han Chinese, but they dont identify with Slavic Russians either.

Nobody said Putin was happy about this trend. Thats kinda the point...that greedy Putin's greed for what he doesnt have (Ukraine and beyond) may cost him what he already does have (parts of the Russian Republic itself). Kinda like the fabled dog with the bone who saw his reflection in the pond.

The region around the Amur is small compared to the rest of Siberia (Siberia being five million plus square miles stretching all of the way to the Arctic Ocean)but is still a big piece of land. Now you could argue that Peking didnt rule this area for most of Chinese history. But it was ruled by...the people took over China...the Manchus in the last few centuries.

Like the Mongols before them the Manchus were a nomadic tribe ethnically separate from the Chinese. Around 1600 they overthrow the native Chinese Dynasty, The Mings, and took over China founding the Manchu Dynasty. The last dynasty of imperial China...which didnt end until 1911.

The Manchus didnt wanna be a bunch of wusses like the Mongols before them who conquered China but ended up assimilating to Han Chinese culture. So the kept their native Manchuria as grazing grassland for their nomadic tribes (we will always be cowboys and never be farmers). A human game preserve.

But then in the 18th Century Russia began knocking at China's door from the north, and the Manchu emperors reversed their policy ...and encouraged Han Chinese farmers to migrate to ...and to populate Manchuria as fast as possible so the region wouldnt be seized by Russia. Fill it up with Chinese farmers NOW!

And in the ensuing wars they kept the Manchurian heartland but lost a ton of outer Manchuria to Russia. Most importantly -the port of Vladivostok- still Russia's only year round ice free port on the Pacific.

Loosing that one city of Vladivostok would be catastrophic for any Russian government...like putting out the eye of the cyclops.

The point is that Russia's hold on Siberia was aleady feeble due to Russia lack of both manpower and of economic power. And its worse now that Putin got into this war. China in contrast has plenty of both manpower and industrial power.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 4:03 pm

it's dog eat dog out there.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 4:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it's dog eat dog out there.

Yep.

The US has just two neighbors. Mexico and Canada.

"What about those two countries?" one of my high school history teachers asked the class.

We all chimed "theyre both friendly".

He replied "that...but whats more important?"

"What's more important is that they are both weak". Then he returned to black board.

We all chuckled, and I still chuckle at it today. What can I say. Its true. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 5:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Of course, the Han have this ethno-nationalist concept that "oriental" people are all descendants of the first emperor and therefore part of their "culture". Muslims, Siberian indigenous and tibetans in central Asia see themselves as separate ethnicities and cultures.

China is doing in central Asia what they are doing in Africa, neo-colonialism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 5:34 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The point is that Russia's hold on Siberia was aleady feeble due to Russia lack of both manpower and of economic power. And its worse now that Putin got into this war. China in contrast has plenty of both manpower and industrial power.

China are also taking advantage of Russia's foray in Ukraine which means their eye is off the east.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 7:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Of course, the Han have this ethno-nationalist concept that "oriental" people are all descendants of the first emperor and therefore part of their "culture".

Are you able to support this claim? I'd love to see what you're basing your assertion on.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 7:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

China are also taking advantage of Russia's foray in Ukraine which means their eye is off the east.

Well...actually it intensified Putin's gaze to the east...to rekindle things with his ex Communist Bloc "friends" there. But it puts Russia into an unequal relationship in their friendship with their "Chinese brothers". Desperate little North Korea is eager to please anyone who will pay the county's electric bill and is eager to sell Russia ammunition. But Putin may well find himself in a hot tub having this conversation with Xi (Eddie Griffin) in China.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 7:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Of course, the Han have this ethno-nationalist concept that "oriental" people are all descendants of the first emperor and therefore part of their "culture".

Are you able to support this claim? I'd love to see what you're basing your assertion on.

The Chinese nation is the descendant of Emperor Huang(黄帝). In Chinese, shizu or zongzu represents a group tied by blood relationships as a family or a clan, led by lineage heads (zuzhang), after the fall of the Celestial empire, the Hua Xia subjects were turned into an ethnic group. They embodied the spirit of the great Huang.
https://ijae.springeropen.com/articles/ ... 019-0026-6

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 7:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

The Chinese nation is the descendant of Emperor Huang(黄帝). In Chinese, shizu or zongzu represents a group tied by blood relationships as a family or a clan, led by lineage heads (zuzhang), after the fall of the Celestial empire, the Hua Xia subjects were turned into an ethnic group. They embodied the spirit of the great Huang.
https://ijae.springeropen.com/articles/ ... 019-0026-6

You must have a much more creative read on that article than I can muster. I really don't see what you've claimed being supported by the article given that the article is pretty clear about it's focus on groups within Chinese territory, not beyond.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 2:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
You must have a much more creative read on that article than I can muster. I really don't see what you've claimed being supported by the article given that the article is pretty clear about it's focus on groups within Chinese territory, not beyond.

Are you too lazy to google? chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/FOID/Reading%20Room/Litigation_Release/Litigation%20Release%20-%20The%20Strategic%20Consequences%20of%20Chinese%20Racism%20%20201301.pdf

Please read this article rather than trying to pretend you are some type of expert

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 2:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Are you too lazy to google? chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/FOID/Reading%20Room/Litigation_Release/Litigation%20Release%20-%20The%20Strategic%20Consequences%20of%20Chinese%20Racism%20%20201301.pdf

Please read this article rather than trying to pretend you are some type of expert

I'm not pretending to be an expert, I just expect someone making an argument to provide evidence that supports their position rather than something off-topic they hope I won't have the time to read and will presume must support that position.

This isn't even the first time you've tried that with me CD so I'm not being unreasonable to read articles you link to and actually see if they support what you're hoping to use them to support because it can't be assumed that you've done so.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2024, 2:29 am

I'm curious? are you defending China?