Page 4 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 5:15 pm

OP named this thread exactly the same as the smear campaign ads on YouTube. Coincidence?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 5:27 pm

Coincidence. It's a pretty generic political statement, bro. :ninja:

Plus, I'm not smearing. I am reading books, and presenting my findings. I think Joe Biden is almost a stereotypical politician, a hypocrite but hardly an evil or bad person. I would definitely have a beer with him :mrgreen:

Last edited by Romofan on 22 Aug 2020, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 5:32 pm

I'd say it's more of a pejorative red herring about creating false equivalency between Biden's past & Trump's more recent transgressions. The Trump campaign & organization always rely on the past for their ratiionale. Other politicians generally use enough progressive thought to plan for the future.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 5:35 pm

Your call. Just out of curiosity, which books have you read about Joe Biden?
I'm curious. Please name them, perhaps we have read the same ones, and have different interpretations of them?

Mine were Joe Biden: a Life of Redemption by Jules Wittcover (a slog)
and

Yesterday's Man, by Marcetic (excellent left of center book )

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:34 pm

^^please tell me what you thought of "yesterday's man" ?

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:57 pm

Hi, Auntblabby! Hope you are doing well. That book was a (in my opinion) excellent summary of Joe as an old school Catholic Democrat whose time has in many ways passed. It showed Joe as having lots of contradictions (like Clinton he gets along well with blacks and other groups, but ends up selling them down the river), and it shows the unreal number of personal tragedies that Joe has dealt with. If Biden wins the Presidency, he will do so by basically going against every deeply entrenched, conservative belief he has. Politics is a tough gig. Joe must be weary.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:06 am

Having talked to the occasional Catholic Democrat, I'll take 10 million of them before one bible thumping fascist any day.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:15 am

Romofan wrote:
Hi, Auntblabby! Hope you are doing well. That book was a (in my opinion) excellent summary of Joe as an old school Catholic Democrat whose time has in many ways passed. It showed Joe as having lots of contradictions (like Clinton he gets along well with blacks and other groups, but ends up selling them down the river), and it shows the unreal number of personal tragedies that Joe has dealt with. If Biden wins the Presidency, he will do so by basically going against every deeply entrenched, conservative belief he has. Politics is a tough gig. Joe must be weary.

thank you for the cliff notes version of the cliffnotes version :mrgreen: saves me from having to slog through it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:16 am

cberg wrote:
Having talked to the occasional Catholic Democrat, I'll take 10 million of them before one bible thumping fascist any day.

i'll take 100 million of 'em :mrgreen:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 12:04 pm

Yesterday’s Man is by a writer for Jacobin, a far-left (not centre-left) magazine.

I think it misses the mark on presenting Biden as a centrist with conservative convictions, rather than someone who has shifted with the tide of the Democratic Party while maintaining an antiquated interest in bipartisanship.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:16 pm

I won't disagree (except the New Deal, I think he will let that be). Otherwise I don't see how progressives could be sold such a bad bill of goods. Add in Kamala Harris and how in the hell can you call them good candidates. Third parties are corrupt this time around as well, so we are really s**t up a crick.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 4:22 am

i am not convinced that many POC will be able to look past harris' LEO past, given the nasty reputation such has these days what with all the police misconduct and prosecutorial misconduct coming to light.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 5:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i am not convinced that many POC will be able to look past harris' LEO past, given the nasty reputation such has these days what with all the police misconduct and prosecutorial misconduct coming to light.

I concur. Biden might be able to smirk a few things off but I feel like the "strong black woman" thing is astroturfed to kingdom come. Then again voters of all stripes can be rather dumb. We shall see.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 5:33 pm

zacb wrote:
I won't disagree (except the New Deal, I think he will let that be). Otherwise I don't see how progressives could be sold such a bad bill of goods. Add in Kamala Harris and how in the hell can you call them good candidates. Third parties are corrupt this time around as well, so we are really s**t up a crick.

No one is actually calling them good candidates, but we're pretty sure they won't pal around with Kim Jong Un.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 5:43 pm

cberg wrote:
zacb wrote:

No one is actually calling them good candidates, but we're pretty sure they won't pal around with Kim Jong Un.

I hope that did not come across as a ringing endorsement of Trump. Also while he has failed with Kim Jong Un, why shouldn't we pursue something akin to Kissinger's strategy with China in the 70's? I am not saying we should be friends, but the founders said we should be on friendly terms with all nations, even if we find them abhorrent ( and I hate communism).

It seems like we should keep diplomacy on the table. Having said that I don't think we should be naive, especially with Russia and China.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:01 am

We're screwed either way. If no one votes, then what happens with the electorals?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.