Page 19 of 21 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Which Religion Should Be The National Religion?
Animism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atheism 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
Buddhism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Christianity 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Confucianism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Druidism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gnosticism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hinduism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Islam 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Jainism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Judaism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mormonism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paganism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scientology 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Shamanism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shintoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sikhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Taoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Zoroastrianism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other: ________________ (Please elaborate). 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 33

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 1:14 am

AngelRho wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:
Do you believe in freedom of religion? Do you think Christians should be allowed to decline baking a cake to celebrate an immoral lifestyle? Would you be opposed to a $100,000 fine for not catering to their lifestyle if they claimed the Christian who wouldn't bake them a cake hurt their feelings?

Do you think it should be legal for people to sacrifice their children to idols if that's what their religion teaches? Should followers of radical "Islamic" sects be allowed to kill Jews if their sect tells them they should?

Ok, but all of this is a red herring. And let's take a closer look at that bait: "...decline baking a cake to celebrate an immoral lifestyle?"

Are you saying that gay marriage is immoral?

No American businessman is legally allowed to refuse business solely on the basis of sexual orientation. It becomes problematic when the rights of a victim class collide with the rights of religious people to work without having to compromise their principles. In the case of baking cakes, there are people who will bake cakes for certain individuals/groups and there are people who won't. If someone won't bake you a cake, simply find someone who will. The issue of baking cakes isn't a simple matter of rights violations. It's about forcing someone to accept something they otherwise wouldn't. It's about denying someone their right to exist. And I think that if such actions were to actually grain traction nationwide (some states have actually passed legislation that prevents such lawsuits), you could reasonably expect a sort of black market or underground trade in cakes. It's silly to think of wedding cakes having a similar status as marijuana or other illicit drugs, but it could become reality.

Here is what I personally DO believe, regardless of any orientation or lifestyle choices: NO CITIZEN WHATSOEVER should be compelled to cater to any individual or group he does not wish to cater to. Every citizen who provides goods and services should have the right to know what said goods and services are to be used for and to refuse to do business with anyone he wants for any reason, and he shouldn't be compelled to even give a reason if he doesn't wish to.
Didn't I just make the exact same point!You should have quoted me to add to what I said,because I already quoted him and said the same thing as you.

No, because what you said was that you'd have no problem serving gays. You're not going to experience a conflict of interest due to religious beliefs. I, on the other hand, make a tiny pile of cash by working weddings. I'm also a church musician and teach at a Christian private school. If I were coerced into performing at gay wedding ceremonies, it would be viewed as supporting something that both my church and school oppose. I could be fired for that. If I serve gays, my family could literally starve to death and become homeless--so yes, I have a problem serving gays. I could, of course, look for other jobs. But I actually enjoy where I work.

Yes I said the business I owned would serve gays but if you read my post I explicitly said that;Business owners in the private sector should have the right to choose there clients based on there values.I may not have used those exact words but that's what I said.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2020, 2:45 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Yes I said the business I owned would serve gays but if you read my post I explicitly said that;Business owners in the private sector should have the right to choose there clients based on there values.I may not have used those exact words but that's what I said.

How about an idea of businesses not serving some ethnicities?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 3:29 am

magz wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Now THAT would be racist and if that type of discrimination became public news, people would be in even more in an uproar than if a gay couple was denied service. At least with LGBT discrimination there would be a group of people who would think that they should have the right to refuse service. There's still quite a few of homophobics, but there are even less racists. Buuuuuuuuuut, any businesses who have such protections would be able to refuse service to ANYONE. So maybe at some point there'll be someone crazy enough to refuse service to someone who's muslim, for example.

So yeah, that's a big flaw in the "right to refuse service to whoever" argument.

ImagineDragons
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2020, 3:45 am

No religion ...

It’s an out of date concept ..

It was devised to control the masses but nowadays the people who need to be ‘guided’ ( the youngsters under 30 ) are completely uncontrollable .

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 3:48 am

magz wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

That is a very good point you make,I as a former business owner would never bar any customer,when my now defunct Limo company opened in june of 2011 our very first client was from India actually and like I said before would never bar a LBGTQ client either.

America has freedom of religion and business owners do have certain rights as to there belief's,I don't see race or ethnic background as any valid reason for refusal of services.

The issue's at hand were a bakery that did not want to make a wedding cake for a guy couple and another is;Does a Catholic charity hospital have the right to not perform abortions.I think a private institution or business should have some leeway as to refusal of a service they find immoral in there beliefs.I don't race or ethnic origin is any real issue.

Here is where it gets tricky though.The Jewish Nursing home in Longmeadow, Massachusetts, US only takes Jewish convalescent's of coarse.There is a need for A Jewish Nursing home to meet the needs of a population other nursing homes can't meet.This is based on religion not ethnicity in theory,like wise Christian and Muslim owned private businesses or institutions may adjust clientele based on legit religious concerns.I don't find it unreasonable for an Islamic business to ask women to wear a hat or something to cover there hair during a business transactions,I don't use the term Burka because non Muslim women wouldn't own that,so a hat should work.

These are all tricky grey areas I struggle with these issues myself,I hate to see anyone discriminated against.

Catholic schools have the right to only accept Catholics.
Evangelical summer camps have the right to accept only evangelical camper's.
Jewish institutions like the Jewish Nursing home have the right to accept only Jews.
The same with Islamic institutions.

I don't feel race or ethnicity should be a factor but some races and ethnicities tend to have certain religious affiliations so it does get tricky but as long as any law is only based on religion that's what should matter.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Sep 2020, 6:01 am

Off-topic remark: burka is a whole-body garment covering even eyes, traditional to Afganistan.
I think the word "headscarf" is the most general term in this context.
It can be any kind of scarf - I visited some Muslim countries, including visiting mosques, where I found it simply appropriate to cover my body and hair out of respect to other people there.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 6:50 am

magz wrote:
Off-topic remark: burka is a whole-body garment covering even eyes, traditional to Afganistan.
I think the word "headscarf" is the most general term in this context.
It can be any kind of scarf - I visited some Muslim countries, including visiting mosques, where I found it simply appropriate to cover my body and hair out of respect to other people there.

Sorry I'm not an expert on Islam,you were not born yet the last time I left the US.Do you have a comment on the post.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 6:57 am

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 7:07 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Off topic,get a life

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 7:34 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:
magz wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Now THAT would be racist and if that type of discrimination became public news, people would be in even more in an uproar than if a gay couple was denied service. At least with LGBT discrimination there would be a group of people who would think that they should have the right to refuse service. There's still quite a few of homophobics, but there are even less racists. Buuuuuuuuuut, any businesses who have such protections would be able to refuse service to ANYONE. So maybe at some point there'll be someone crazy enough to refuse service to someone who's muslim, for example.

So yeah, that's a big flaw in the "right to refuse service to whoever" argument.

Yes, but if individual rights are protected, then neither gays can impose their views on Christians, nor Christians on gays. By refusing service, the gate of individual rights swings both ways. You invite others to refuse service to you. The issue of gay wedding cakes is not a simple matter of refusing service. No one facing lawsuits over wedding cakes has ever refused service to gays for any other request. They are only refusing service because it violates a specific principle that means participating in something they have a religious conviction against. That would be like trying to run an ad for The Daily Stormer in EBONY magazine. Should EBONY be forced to support white supremacists? And sure, even white supremacist groups would be allowed to exist. But the problem with groups like the Klan, etc., is that they can preach killing other groups of people all they want, but they will never be allowed to actually do anything about it. If someone wants to impose Shariah or a strict interpretation of the Old Testament, their rights to religious freedom and belief only reach as far as the boundary between individuals. You cannot deny anyone the right to exist without forfeiting your own life. White supremacists, homophobes, and I dare say even Antifa and BLM are walking contradictions. As Ayn Rand would say, a contradiction cannot exist.

These kinds of people couldn't exist in a society that protects individual rights for several reasons, including:
1. Individual rights would negate their purpose for existing in the first place.
2. They are allowed to believe whatever they want, just like everyone else, and would have no cause to fight for. If whites or blacks want to segregate themselves, they have the right to do that. If whites and blacks want to cooperate and see past skin color, they have the right to do that.
3. Violence towards any individual is simply not an option. Individuals have the right to protect themselves against anyone who attacks them and are free to pursue justice. Enforcing law and order and keeping the peace is the proper role of government (protecting any group or individual at the expense of another is not).

This wouldn't prevent gays from getting a wedding cake, nor would it mean a Christian would be forced to bake a cake. It doesn't mean everyone can't get what they want. It just means you cannot FORCE someone to do what you want them to do. Gays can have cake. The only difference is they may have to look for someone who'd want to do it. But that wouldn't be any different from any other situation, either.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 8:05 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Off topic,get a life

Maybe you should cool your jets a bit, before you say something even dumber?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 8:14 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Off topic,get a life

Maybe you should cool your jets a bit, before you say something even dumber?
And I have said something dumb?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 8:16 am

I'd say "get a life" in response to someone trying to be helpful qualifies.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 8:24 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I'd say "get a life" in response to someone trying to be helpful qualifies.
Sorry,it sounded like you and MAGZ were mocking me

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 8:27 am

No worries, but nope, not mocking. Don't think Magz were, either.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 8:42 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
No worries, but nope, not mocking. Don't think Magz were, either.
ok understood,sorry.
Not everyone on WP is so nice though.Maybe I misjudged you