Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2020, 2:05 am

Woke Psychological Warfare - Chrisitine Rosen for Commentary

Quote:
If you’re wondering how swiftly and thoroughly the new ideology of antiracism has permeated American culture, the American Psychological Association offers a useful case study. This week, the organization issued a lengthy statement about what its president, Sandra Shullman, calls the “racism pandemic” in the United States.

It’s not the first time the APA has claimed the existence of such a pandemic. In a hyperbole-laden statement released just after the killing of George Floyd in May, Schullman said, “If you’re black in America—and especially if you are a black male—it’s not safe to go birding in Central Park, to meet friends at a Philadelphia Starbucks, to pick up trash in front of your own home in Colorado or to go shopping almost anywhere.”

Theopia Jackson, president of the Association of Black Psychologists, goes even further in the new statement, indicting not only Americans’ views on race but also the nation’s economic system: “Every institution in America is born from the blood of white supremacist ideology and capitalism—and that’s the disease,” she said. Capitalism as a disease is an interesting argument for someone like Jackson, who has made her living as a psychologist in private practice, an academic at a private graduate university, and a paid consultant and “trainer” on matters related to race, to make.

Then again, America has been a target-rich environment for psychologists seeking evidence of wrong-thinking lately. Last year, the APA decried the scourge of so-called “toxic masculinity” and urged the nation’s psychologists to do their best to combat “traditional masculinity” and all of the “heteronormative assumptions” that supposedly go with it.

For several years now, the APA has doubled down on ideologically inflected claims about race. APA videos about race feature people complaining about “microaggressions” and “stress” related to what they view as their “systemic” mistreatment, with little in the way of evidence to back those charges up. Individuals who experience such things are repeatedly told that they have little agency or responsibility for what happens to them: “[R]esponsibility for the alleviation of race-related stress is not within the individuals who experience it … this is our problem, all of us,” one psychologist says in an APA video.

As for people who might raise questions about the ideological overtones of such messaging or skepticism about some of the sweeping claims? The APA warns psychologists in its accompanying Instructor Discussion Guide about “underlying dynamics” such as “defensiveness about issues of privilege,” and “fear of responsibility for taking steps to end oppression.”

The APA goes so far as to state that “politeness” and “colorblindness”—the latter the principle for which civil rights activists like Martin Luther King, Jr., fought— should now be considered “social norms that can prevent open dialogue” about race. They describe colorblindness as “a powerful social norm focusing on the commonalities and sameness of all; however, this belief can diminish the value of those aspects of experience and identity that are shaped and informed by race.”

The APA’s hyperbole is part of a broader strategy pursued by the organization to use woke psychology to reeducate Americans about their racism. It’s a war with many fronts, evidently: The APA claims to be “cataloging and distributing literature and tools on racial bias to psychologists in a variety of roles, including instructors, clinicians, and school and organizational psychologists.” Their use of martial language is no accident: “Psychologists in the field need ammunition to fight racism,” Garrett-Akinsanya says. “And psychology has those answers.”

What practical effects do such programs have on their intended audience? Here’s an example of one APA-approved training program aimed at law enforcement: Psychologists, the APA claims, “help shape officer training programs, which should include guidance on how to demonstrate respect in a cultural context.” One psychologist who is paid to advise the Minneapolis Police Department “on issues of bias, critical incident support and mental health,” claimed, “eye contact is seen as respectful in some cultures and disrespectful in others.”

APA’s task force on race has also vowed: “to craft guidelines on how organizations can leverage psychological insights to conduct effective anti-racism training, which is likely to be a top priority.” Shawn Garrison, who directs consoling services at Morehouse School of Medicine, said, “That should include being very clear about systemic racism and how this system is designed specifically to be invisible to white people.”

The APA also encourages black Americans to see themselves as victims of “cultural trauma that has been going on for the past several hundred years,” and calls on psychologists to help with what California psychologist Myra Miller called the “transgenerational trauma within families.”

There is nothing wrong with encouraging psychologists to be as sensitive as possible to the concerns and needs of their patients, of course. But it’s an odd time for a professional organization like the APA to be amplifying collective guilt over the nation’s racial past when there is a dire need to help Americans of all races in the present.

The nation is reeling from the effects of a pandemic and resultant lockdowns that have left many Americans physically and economically at risk. It’s taken a terrible toll on mental health as well. A survey conducted by the Centers for Disease Control this summer found a worrisome increase in substance abuse and suicidal ideation, and a decline in measures of mental well-being among Americans.

As for the APA’s claim that capitalism is part of the problem: Many businesses will never recover from the damage they’ve sustained, particularly in the cities where they had to endure not only pandemic-related lockdowns but also destructive rioters and looters. Those that might be able to crawl their way back will do so only because of America’s dedication to a system of free enterprise. A sclerotic and polarized federal government bloated by debt can only prop up the nation’s economy for so long.

In the midst of these crises, we should be emphasizing our commonalities as human beings and as Americans—not fetishizing our differences and viewing each other with the suspicion fostered by radical theories of race. Stoking division and encouraging collective guilt is not the way forward. For a professional organization that claims to have insight into how the mind works, the APA seems to have missed entirely the lessons of human nature.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 2:33 pm

The Jews have undergone ordeals over many generations as well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 2:38 pm

Racism and sexism are both of "pandemic" proportions (just like covid-19) and both have resulted in uncountable deaths (just like covid-19).  However, unlike viral, bacterial, or mycological pandemics, racism and sexism seem unpreventable, untreatable, and uncurable.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 3:11 pm

I agree there is racism and sexism....and that there’s a “pandemic” of them.

But.....I don’t find most people to be particularly racist or sexist. And I think the “woke” philosophy goes too far sometimes.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

But.....I don’t find most people to be particularly racist or sexist. And I think the “woke” philosophy goes too far sometimes.

How common do you think it is that people see a race that is not common in their environment, and have certain biases come to their mind?

If most people learned that a man was a stay at home dad and the mother was a career woman that worked very long hours, do you think that they would judge them a little as strange?

If a movie had the president being played by a black woman, how likely would most people see that as political or unrealistic?

Do you think that a good proportion of people see an Muslim man at an airport and for at least a moment have their mind go to something?

How often do you think a man by himself at a park with children is likely to be seen as a problem, even after he can say that he is there with his kids that he can point at? What about a man going into a changing room?

Do boys still get told that they have to be tough? Do girls still get told they have to be girly?

If you think that most people are not particularly racist or sexist, and thus their is no problems that are pervasive, I think that one thinks that certain levels are just normal and thus fine, or blind to many problems out there. Even many women in the past would have thought that it was fine that young girls would be told that they should be expected to be home keepers rather than a career, and many men still push for emotionally stunting boys by them needing to act like a man.

Most people may be nice, but that does not mean that many of them are not influenced by things like racist and sexism. You could even say the same things about homophobia and transphobia, people can be nice and be tolerant, but does not mean the same thing as accepting and against the bad things. If anything a moderate is more likely to prevent actual need social change.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think there's different levels of racism and sexism. Some of it is on a dangerous level (like KKK or Neo Nazi level dangerous) and then there are average people who are racist but aren't very open about their racism except around people in their own circle. They don't necessarily act on their racism except maybe in subtle ways. Take my brother for example, I've come to realize he does not like black people but I seriously doubt he would ever go out of his way to beat up or kill a black person.

But yes, I think racism and sexism has grown increasingly out of control here in the US thanks to a certain president. Maybe it's just because I was too young to really notice bigotry around me but back in the 1990's and early 2000's it didn't feel to me like people were as open about their racism and misogamy as they are today. Hell the 90's was known as the "Girl Power!" era with cartoons featuring strong female characters fighting badguys like Sailor Moon and The Powerpuff Girls.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:47 pm

The whole racial color blindness thing started in the 1950s. It was believed if we pretended race didnt exist and we only judge people by their actions, it would get rid if racism. But all it did was create the new racism and it didn't get rid of the problem at all.

It's cute when young children are oblivious to race and they only see skin color as eye color but yet this is still considered racist if you still have this childlike mindset about race as an adult. I think that is because it makes us be unaware of racial and systemic racism that goes around. Then we think POC are whining and making themselves out to be the victim when they speak up and that part is racist of us because of our privilege. And this always makes people uncomfortable when they hear this so that is where white fragility kicks in.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:
The whole racial color blindness thing started in the 1950s. It was believed if we pretended race didnt exist and we only judge people by their actions, it would get rid if racism. But all it did was create the new racism and it didn't get rid of the problem at all.

It's cute when young children are oblivious to race and they only see skin color as eye color but yet this is still considered racist if you still have this childlike mindset about race as an adult. I think that is because it makes us be unaware of racial and systemic racism that goes around. Then we think POC are whining and making themselves out to be the victim when they speak up and that part is racist of us because of our privilege. And this always makes people uncomfortable when they hear this so that is where white fragility kicks in.

It pretty much feels like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of thing in my honest opinion. As a white person how DO you prove you are not racist if not judging people by the color of their skin is now considered racist too?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:57 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

It pretty much feels like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of thing in my honest opinion. As a white person how DO you prove you are not racist if not judging people by the color of their skin is now considered racist too?

I honestly didn't decide this. I listened to people of color who are activists.

Instead of taking it as an attack, take it as new information and to stop seeing racism as that you hate black people you would want to lynch them. Time to drop the 1950s definition of racism.

I guess only way to prove we're not racist is to be anti racist which is why i am posting these things.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 10:04 pm

League_Girl wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I honestly didn't decide this. I listened to people of color who are activists.

Instead of taking it as an attack, take it as new information and to stop seeing racism as that you hate black people you would want to lynch them. Time to drop the 1950s definition of racism.

I guess only way to prove we're not racist is to be anti racist which is why i am posting these things.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across as thinking you were attacking me, I really was actually wondering about this. I always try to simply be nice to anybody of color that I meet and voice my opinions about why racism is wrong but even that doesn't seem to be enough. I'm already socially awkward around people anyways so sometimes I just feel like giving up on trying to connect to people of color in real life and just sticking to the people I already know who accept me as I am.

It's just too crazy and complicated of a world out there for this Bipolar Aspie. :|

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 10:34 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
But yes, I think racism and sexism has grown increasingly out of control here in the US thanks to a certain president.

Don't be too hard on Mr Obama, he did all he could.

Sadly that "all he could" was in bringing attention to people's differences in order to fragment society rather than to what they had in common and so bring people together.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 10:43 pm

Brictoria wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
But yes, I think racism and sexism has grown increasingly out of control here in the US thanks to a certain president.

Sadly that "all he could" was in bringing attention to people's differences in order to fragment society rather than to what they had in common and so bring people together.

In other words our first black president failed to be our nation's savior and prove that he could be better than a white president so now Americans elected arguably the most authoritarian racist piece of s**t to lead this country into a downward spiral into madness?

That's what you really mean, right?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 11:15 pm

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:

In other words our first black president failed to be our nation's savior and prove that he could be better than a white president so now Americans elected arguably the most authoritarian racist piece of s**t to lead this country into a downward spiral into madness?

That's what you really mean, right?

No - nice job of projectionism, though...

When a person (or group) go out of their way to break a society into small groups (for example, based on the races of the members of the group), targetting each group for their "differences", it can objectively be seen as destructive.

Conversly, when a person (or group) look at the society as a whole, it produces a more constructive result.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 11:40 pm

Brictoria wrote:
No - nice job of projectionism, though...

When a person (or group) go out of their way to break a society into small groups (for example, based on the races of the members of the group), targetting each group for their "differences", it can objectively be seen as destructive.

Conversly, when a person (or group) look at the society as a whole, it produces a more constructive result.

What if we put this in the context of education, where we would look at education as a whole, and not break students up into small groups like on the autistic spectrum or having ADHD. That kind of seems like the system that would just see neurodivergent students as being stupid or naughty, or other things like the situation of students in whether they are able to eat proper meals or have an environment they can relax or study.

Ignoring the different experiences of different groups does not solve the problem, a group could still be heavily disadvantaged in a society due to racism even if there is no racist laws on the books. Ignoring race in those situations can mean missing the real issues. Saying that identifying racial issues in those circumstances is just trying to pretend there is no problem because you want to live in a just world fallacy.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 12:00 am

Quote:
If you’re wondering how swiftly and thoroughly the new ideology of antiracism has permeated American culture, the American Psychological Association offers a useful case study. This week, the organization issued a lengthy statement about what its president, Sandra Shullman, calls the “racism pandemic” in the United States.

We're pretending anti-racism is new now?
Quote:
For several years now, the APA has doubled down on ideologically inflected claims about race. APA videos about race feature people complaining about “microaggressions” and “stress” related to what they view as their “systemic” mistreatment, with little in the way of evidence to back those charges up. Individuals who experience such things are repeatedly told that they have little agency or responsibility for what happens to them: “[R]esponsibility for the alleviation of race-related stress is not within the individuals who experience it … this is our problem, all of us,” one psychologist says in an APA video.

This seems to be suggesting that there is little evidence that these people actually experience racism in a way that is harmful to their mental health? Individuals who experience such things are the ones telling people these things, not the other way around. What ideas about race would the author think are not "ideologically inflected" anyway?
Quote:
The APA also encourages black Americans to see themselves as victims of “cultural trauma that has been going on for the past several hundred years,” and calls on psychologists to help with what California psychologist Myra Miller called the “transgenerational trauma within families.”

It gets very tiring seeing this condescending conservative narrative that black Americans only think they are victims of racism because somebody else told them so, and not because of their lived experiences of the last several hundred years. Stop treating them like they are naive dupes. It's also bitterly ironic to see the idea of transgenerational trauma being dismissed by a writer for a Jewish magazine when Jews are as painfully familiar with transgenerational trauma as anyone else.
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with encouraging psychologists to be as sensitive as possible to the concerns and needs of their patients, of course. But it’s an odd time for a professional organization like the APA to be amplifying collective guilt over the nation’s racial past when there is a dire need to help Americans of all races in the present.

"Do we really need to make this about race?" Yes, we do, because the impact of the pandemic has exacerbated the inequality and injustice black Americans face every day. They suffer disproportionately but they are asked to keep quiet about it because of the same tired platitudes that "we're all suffering together"--even if that suffering is glaringly unequal. When times are bad, they are asked to keep quiet because everyone is suffering; when times are good, they are asked to keep quiet because things could be worse.
Quote:
In the midst of these crises, we should be emphasizing our commonalities as human beings and as Americans—not fetishizing our differences and viewing each other with the suspicion fostered by radical theories of race. Stoking division and encouraging collective guilt is not the way forward. For a professional organization that claims to have insight into how the mind works, the APA seems to have missed entirely the lessons of human nature.

Drawing attention to how different groups are disproportionately hurt by this crisis is not fetishizing differences or sowing division. Acting like everyone is affected equally is delusion. People are uniting more and more against injustice and inequality--no thanks to those who act like the injustice does not exist. Ignoring those things just lets the division and inequality persist.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 12:31 am

I treat people the same, no matter what.

I resent being assumed to be a racist just because I happen to be white of Northern European descent.

My wife is black....and I dated POC before her. My supervisor at work is black, and it’s fine.

The woke stance is an erroneous stance at times.

Aren’t there trans people who can’t stand cis people? And, yes, there are people of African descent (rare) who would not like it if a family member married someone of a different race.