Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 10:12 pm

A government watchdog recently tried to post a bold message on giant billboards during the NBA Finals about LeBron James’ refusal to speak out against Chinese human-rights abuses, but was rejected by the sign company.
The Virginia-based National Legal and Policy Center was poised to spend “several hundred thousand dollars” on five billboard images showing the superstar with a Chinese flag covering his mouth and the message, “Silence is Violence.”

“Some messages are too important to be suppressed,” said Peter Flaherty, chairman of NLPC. “When it comes to human rights in China, silence is indeed violence. We should be able to call LeBron on his hypocrisy without this censorship.”
James, who often speaks out about race and police brutality in the US, came under fire last year when he criticised the Houston Rockets’ General Manager Daryl Morey for expressing his support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.
The comments sparked outrage among Hong Kong protesters, but were praised by Chinese Communist officials. James has a lifetime endorsement deal with Nike, whose Chinese-made products in his name have brought in hundreds of millions of dollars. Last week, James, whose net worth is $480 million, reportedly bought a $36 million mansion in Beverly Hills.
The NLPC says James has been silent about the Chinese “slave labour” that makes the basketball legend’s Nike sneakers, which retail for $200 a pair.

My question is this. Can you be a SJW but be selective about what you want to champion but ignore the plight of other people despite saying "we must call out injustice wherever it arises" ?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 10:45 pm

Taxes are oppression, and rarely do I see SJW tax protests.

Be the hero of your life.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 10:58 pm

I totally agree with you, Cyberdad.

I have noticed a lot of selective condemnation from the SJWs.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 11:21 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:

I am not sure how taxes oppress when the money is used to pay for public services?
Perhaps more transparency on how taxes are spent would help.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2020, 11:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I totally agree with you, Cyberdad.

I have noticed a lot of selective condemnation from the SJWs.

Yes I am starting to find the edifice of what makes a SJW crumbling when we in the prosperous west ultimately benefit from the exploitation of others.

The Le Bron story highlights the hypocrisy of (Le Bron) demanding that we call out injustice wherever it arises but then silencing criticism of the CCP because their money pays for his $36m mansion and his enormous endorsements.

But much of the left is drawn from the educated middle class who enthusiastically condemn the CCP for the treatment of Hong Kong protestors and the treatment of minorities in China and condemn Le Bron's hypocrisy but concurrently their middle class cafe lifestyle and wealth are also the beneficiaries of trade with the CCP.

I'm just curious how their minds work in having a job because of the economic reliance on China but condemning others who do business with the CCP? Is it selective when it benefits them or is it ignorance? Seems like a conundrum.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 2:31 am

There can never be anything good about a SJW at all PERIOD.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 2:39 am

vermontsavant wrote:

I think its more accurate to refer to SJWs as advocates rather than champions of justice.

It's possible to advocate for something you feel passionate about but when it comes to debates it becomes difficult to defend your position beyond a certain level.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Oct 2020, 2:44 am

I think hardcore SJW-ship is more often selective than not.
When you see the world as simply "the opressed" and "the opressors" and nothing else, you will routinely overlook the vast majority of what's going on.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 2:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

I think its more accurate to refer to SJWs as advocates rather than champions of justice.

It's possible to advocate for something you feel passionate about but when it comes to debates it becomes difficult to defend your position beyond a certain level.

I would call them hippie losers.

Last edited by vermontsavant on 04 Oct 2020, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 2:51 am

magz wrote:
I think hardcore SJW-ship is more often selective than not.
When you see the world as simply "the opressed" and "the opressors" and nothing else, you will routinely overlook the vast majority of what's going on.

But the vast majority marching for George Floyd are what I would define as not hardcore. I have seen campus interviews with students saying they are against some issue but when pressed for their evidence to support their beliefs they often don't have one (other than that's what was topical on social media).

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 3:32 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

Well, the US government expenditure in 2019 was approximately $ 7.3 trillion.

How do you plan to fund these expenditures without taxes?

Alternately, if no taxes are to be levied, what cuts would you implement to reduce US federal government expenditure by 96 percent? (as that is the percentage funded by taxes)...

BTW, that is even an underestimation of the fiscal challenge, as the US has also accumulated - largely due to tax cuts during the Bush and Trump presidencies - a massive annual federal deficit (even before coronavirus). In 2019, US federal revenues only covered 78 percent of US federal expenditure, and the annual deficit reached $ 1 trillion at the beginning of 2020.

Last edited by GGPViper on 04 Oct 2020, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 3:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
My question is this. Can you be a SJW but be selective about what you want to champion but ignore the plight of other people despite saying "we must call out injustice wherever it arises" ?

Yes. It's called being a hypocrite, it is called being human.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 4:40 am

cyberdad wrote:

I'm not sure you can be a non-selective SJW.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 6:05 am

I think everyone is PC (not SJW, though) in their own way. Everyone has their own sense of what it's offensive or not offensive to say.

I can oppose someone such as a conservative (I love my dad but he's offended by stupid stuff imo like sex in a 15 movie or someone using a swear word) and care about not offending them - I don't swear in front of my dad for eg.

But that has to be a two way street. If someone keeps saying bigoted stuff I'm offended by due to being an 'SJW' and saying stuff about how it's silly to be offended etc I'm not going to send get well soon cards to their favourite president. I mean, what are they? Snowflakes? :roll: :lol:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 7:08 am

If SJW's were what they said they were it would be one thing,there ideals are not bad at all.

I grew up in a liberal college town in the most liberal state the country.

I know the heart of the liberal like no one else.
They are in truth they are really

Liar's
Hypocrites
Are really mean and cruel people and are against everything they say they stand for.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2020, 7:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
Can you be a selective SJW?
Absolutely.  A person's heart could bleed a little for every Nigerian child who dies of cholera, but they also could not possibly care less about homeless children in their own city.  It happens.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.