Political Compass team's assessment of candidates - creepy.

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 5:16 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
You do realise that this result would put you at the "left's" equivalent of the "alt-right"\"far-right" on the spectrum, likely making your views appear equally extreme\outlandish\unpalatable to the majority of the population?

So what, the centrist point of view is the best one, just hit a neutral response on everything?.

Oldest trick in the book. Bric thinks he fooled us :lol:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 5:32 am

I hate the methodology, so many statements I wanted qualified but the end result seems about right. Though based on my score the politicians score are way off!

Since the left-right axis is the economic one, I seriously doubt my economic views are the same as a middle of the pack democrat. Maybe its cause I'm more likely to put agree or disagree instead of "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree." Or maybe the makers just wanted to make a point with a graphic and it's not very scientific.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 5:33 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
You do realise that this result would put you at the "left's" equivalent of the "alt-right"\"far-right" on the spectrum, likely making your views appear equally extreme\outlandish\unpalatable to the majority of the population?

So what, the centrist point of view is the best one, just hit a neutral response on everything?

Maybe or maybe not people can be naturally gay? Maybe or maybe not you should always support your country regardless of its actions? Maybe or maybe not racism is good? Maybe or Maybe not corporations should do anything they want?

Just being in almost the center of every issue doesn't make one some moral superiority. People being called an "enlightened centrist" is hardly a complement rather than sarcasm of taking a stance that both sides are evil; that hippies are just as bad as Nazis.

It would be nice if you could, perhaps, focus on the message and not irrationally attack the messenger with your responces...

As was plainly conveyed, I was indicating the "extremity" of the posters views, and how they are likely to appear\be received in a similar way to people as those of the "alt-right" or "far-right". Again, I never compared them to any other member's results, and I certainly did not refer to any imaginary "enlightened centrist" view, either.

Have you, perhaps, considered that those on the right towards the centre do not agree with overall "alt-right"\"far-right" views, any more than the left do? This being the case, those on the left toward the cente would be likely to have similar opinions of the "alt-left"\"far-left" as the right would for the "alt-right" and "far-right".

Again, there is no "best" position: some positions from the right may be preferable than those from the left on various areas, while similarly, the ideas from the left may sometimes be better than those from the right. The problem is that the further towards either extreme one is, the greater the need for an objective, rather than subjective, view of various suggestions can become, in order to be able to account for the vastly different perspective of the observer from the majority\common viewpoint.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 5:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

So what, the centrist point of view is the best one, just hit a neutral response on everything?.

Oldest trick in the book. Bric thinks he fooled us :lol:

Just to clarify: Are you accusing me of lying (either with my results, or in how I answered the questions)?

Or is there some "hidden meaning" in your statement, which I am unable to decipher?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Oct 2020, 5:37 am

If we're to trust these results, there's less distance between Cyberdad and Brictoria than between Brictoria nad Trump... that should give something to think about to all of us...

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 5:45 am

Antrax wrote:

I hate the methodology, so many statements I wanted qualified but the end result seems about right. Though based on my score the politicians score are way off!

Since the left-right axis is the economic one, I seriously doubt my economic views are the same as a middle of the pack democrat. Maybe its cause I'm more likely to put agree or disagree instead of "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree." Or maybe the makers just wanted to make a point with a graphic and it's not very scientific.

For the politician's positions, given that they were unlikely to have taken the survey, it is probable that the designers took what they subjectively wanted to see\how they interpret the policies, rather than considered how the politicians would answer the questions: A politician is unlikely to agree (or at the least, agree strongly) with all the policies they have, and they may have a greated or lesser affiinity with some, compromising on those less "important", in order to both satisfy the "core" support group, and to appeal to as wide an area of "potential" supporters as possible.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 6:01 am

magz wrote:
If we're to trust these results, there's less distance between Cyberdad and Brictoria than between Brictoria nad Trump... that should give something to think about to all of us...

Given that the politician's positions were generated subjectively, rather than as a result of their considered input, I do question the placement of them on the chart...It is easy to take a person, give answers you "want"\"expect" they would have supplied, and say "this is where they sit", when in many cases their personal thoughts on a given topic may differ from the policies they have, with the policy being ranked either "higher" or "lower" than their personal feelings, in order to either appeal to a greater number of potential supporters, or to ensure greater possibility of being "passed" into law.

Similarly, the point from where a person stands will also impact on how "extreme" a position\belief seems, as well as potentially colouring how a given person interprets\sees the reasoning behind it, so if the people who "assessed" the politician's viewpoints were towards the lower left of the graph, they would likely interpret the "centre" to be closer to the left, and so the "origin" for the axis would be offset from a neutral position.

Then, there is also the possibility to place "favourable" or "unfavourable" levels against the "answers" supplied for a given person\group of people, in order to make them appear more (or less) palatable to the general population.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 6:03 am

Bradleigh wrote:
I think Americans don't see how Right wing their politics are compared to those around the world.occasional NG.

The video I had rolled into the OP gets into that a bit - ie. what they think is likely happening.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 6:05 am

magz wrote:

Or that our system has the Midas touch in reverse.

It's something I've noticed, really increasingly more people are talking about it, that power and truth/reason orientation tend to go in opposite directions and when you strain people by enough win-lose games you get people as a result who are good at win-lose games.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 6:15 am

Brictoria wrote:
As was plainly conveyed, I was indicating the "extremity" of the posters views, and how they are likely to appear\be received in a similar way to people as those of the "alt-right" or "far-right". Again, I never compared them to any other member's results, and I certainly did not refer to any imaginary "enlightened centrist" view, either.

What many may see as extreme does not mean that they are bad, in fact many amazing things now considered incredibly good were at one point in time considered extreme, especially if they were on the Left.

Brictoria wrote:
Have you, perhaps, considered that those on the right towards the centre do not agree with overall "alt-right"\"far-right" views, any more than the left do? This being the case, those on the left toward the cente would be likely to have similar opinions of the "alt-left"\"far-left" as the right would for the "alt-right" and "far-right".

But they do agree a little bit more, or are at least more willing to put up with things. For instances, what if we took snapshots of the centrist opinion of LGBT rights 50 years ago and now, you are gong to find big differences between them, and is will themselves be extreme 50 years from now.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 6:25 am

It's not about being left or right of center.

It's about deciding where the center is.

Yours sincerely,

- Niccolo Machiavelli
- Joseph Goebbels
- Joseph McCarthy
- Steve Bannon
- Julius Streicher
- Mao Zedong
- Lavrentiy Beria

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2020, 6:39 am

I thought I'd be a little closer to center. :)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 4:58 pm

I'm not sure how valid these things are in the post-Trump era, if they had any validity before. Last time I took this test it had me here:

I think the funny memes might be more valuable than the test itself.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 5:14 pm

GGPViper wrote:
It's not about being left or right of center.

It's about deciding where the center is.

Yours sincerely,

- Niccolo Machiavelli
- Joseph Goebbels
- Joseph McCarthy
- Steve Bannon
- Julius Streicher
- Mao Zedong
- Lavrentiy Beria

Aahhhhh...well played, good sir! 8)

Last edited by KimD on 14 Oct 2020, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 5:26 pm

Mikah,

Thank you so much for the memes! I really can use a good laugh these days/this year.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Oct 2020, 2:03 am

Political Compass is a bit of a joke of a website. It’s designed to put a large share of the population very squarely in the bottom left corner. They then put all politicians except the extreme left in the top right.

This has only got worse over time. For example, in 2008 they put Joe Biden just inside the top right box. Now he’s worse than Hitler, even though in real life he’s moved a long way to the left.

That said, here’s me: