Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

deepseastag11
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2020, 6:32 pm

"Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that." - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption

"Reality is often disappointing." - Thanos, Avengers: Infinity War

Harsh but true.

(I posted it here because philosophy is in the name, hope it fits)

Last edited by Feyokien on 14 Oct 2020, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.: removed inflammatory title

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 7:03 pm

You also have to know what to do with yourself in times of peace as well.

Seems like there are people who are good at handling times of war and bring it with them during times of peace - thus they can't find any. Then you have the almost dyed-in-the-wool cooperative types where when everyone starts defecting the world gives way beneath them and they're left to the mercy of the elements - that doesn't end well either.

Trying to train myself to be more flexible in this regard and at least be ready for my environment's allowances at a given time. I really try to hold the line within myself so as not to let unfavorable outward conditions charge their way inward too far but even there success varies with severity.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 7:15 pm

I'm not dealing with it!

I strive to always try to be a winner----even if I lose sometimes.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 8:17 pm

deepseastag11 wrote:
"Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that." - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption

"Reality is often disappointing." - Thanos, Avengers: Infinity War

Harsh but true.

(I posted it here because philosophy is in the name, hope it fits)

These are both fictional characters. What exactly are you trying to say?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 7:05 am

It started out with the intent of saying just because you have poor skills at certain things does not make you a loser. That was and is good.

It has turned into this whole “participation trophy” thing which is a form of denial. It is fundamentally flawed and harmful as it does not take into account that we as individual humans are bad at certain things.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Oct 2020, 7:11 am

Not everything is a competition. Evolution is most often not about survival of the fittest but about survival of the fit enough to survive. It's a huge difference.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 7:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It started out with the intent of saying just because you have poor skills at certain things does not make you a loser. That was and is good.

It has turned into this whole “participation trophy” thing which is a form of denial. It is fundamentally flawed and harmful as it does not take into account that we as individual humans are bad at certain things.

I'd agree with that.

What used to be a situation where people knew that putting in extra effort would grant a better reward has devolved into a form of indoctorination where people are conditioned to believe that striving to excel has no value, either for them personally, or for society as a whole, as meeting the minimum level (regardless of how low it may be) is all that matters.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 7:51 am

I'm not the "fittest" in many aspects----so I had to develop strategies to counteract my "less fit" aspects in order to keep my head above water.

This is why, on my 18th birthday, I said "forget the past," so I can move beyond all the bullying and all the bad stuff that happened before I was 18. And there was lots of "bad" stuff (though, in relative terms, only moderately "bad").

I believe in striving to be a "winner." But not to get too worked up if I come up "not a winner." At least I made the attempt, I always say.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Oct 2020, 8:12 am

Brictoria wrote:

You Need A Lot Of Self-Confidence To Carry You Through All The Failure You'll Experience If You Want To Succeed In Any Competitive Domain.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 8:18 am

Just because you're not a "winner"----doesn't mean you're a "loser." There are many gray areas in between...

I came in about 7,500th place in the 1997 NYC Marathon. I'm still proud of my achievement, even though I was not a "winner," per se.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 Oct 2020, 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 8:18 am

Brictoria wrote:
... What used to be a situation where people knew that putting in extra effort would grant a better reward has devolved into a form of indoctrination where people are conditioned to believe that striving to excel has no value...
... where real achievement is devalued as 'luck', and where anyone who does achieve real success is called a thief, a narcissist, a manipulator, a liar, a cheat, et cetera, ad nauseum...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 8:21 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just because you're not a "winner"----doesn't mean you're a "loser." There are many gray areas in between...
PFFT!!

The second person to win a race is also the first person to lose the race.

There can be only one winner, no matter what euphemisms you use to make the losers feel better.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 8:24 am

Also not everything should be to do with pre-set winning and losing categories.

Thinking it did was what made me ill, made me put up with relationships I wasn't interested in (cos single = loser in some people's eyes), made me not act like myself.

Winning is about being happy.

We should be striving towards a world where everyone can be happy.

But mental illness exists so this shouldn't be putting all the onus on the individual. And ordinary emotions exist so it's unrealistic to be happy all the time - more like, it should be a major part of life to be happy/content with sadness/feeling trapped/feeling angry only happening sometimes.

If you're mentally unwell, do what it takes to keep healthy.
If you're mentally well, do wht it takes to maximise happiness in your life without hurting others.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Oct 2020, 8:25 am

Fnord wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
PFFT!!

The second person to win a race is also the first person to lose the race.

There can be only one winner, no matter what euphemisms you use to make the losers feel better.
I disagree. People may have a variety of goals.
A lot of people train for marathons with a goal of finishing it at all or finishing it with a better time than previous year's. Are they losers for achieving their own goals?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 8:27 am

Coming in second in a PGA golf tournament sometimes will gain you a million dollars.

Even coming in about 20th may gain you $100,000.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 15 Oct 2020, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2020, 8:30 am

Someone who worries about what other people think, and who lives according to other people's "standards" has already "lost the game".

When I stopped worrying (and I mean worrying) about what other people think of me is when I started rally experiencing success.  So what if they whine and complain that I took advantage of the situation to elevate myself above the norm?  Who the ████ cares?  While they were busy partying and socializing and carrying on about superficial matters, I was busy earning my degrees and learning how to succeed.

It sucks to be them now, and that's just the way it is!