Social media should change how they deal with mental health

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 7:35 am

When you're on social media, sometimes you get ppl saying s**t like 'I'm going to kill myself'.

It's esp tragic on youtube where you can see they're about to do it. Even me as an autistic person, I can tell if someone's f*****g about or serious. And some of these they're really seriously ill.

It's against site rules on most of these sites. But all they do is ban someone. The same thing that they would do for eg if someone said a bunch of hateful stuff.

I think there should be a way for them to track IP address and contact the local mental hospital, forward the videos onto them & get these people help.

I'd be more inclined to report if I knew that was the case.

Esp for NTs but for anyone experiencing mental health issues, it's important to have an outlet & I don't like taking away what might be someone's only outlet.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 8:23 am

You do have a good point. Banning them will just mean they get no help when they are at their most vunerable and need it.

I have to laugh when in a previous government how they were going to deal with homelessness. What brainwave scheme did they think of? "I know... we will make it illegal to become homeless. That will solve the problem!" Yer, right! I am sure those who make up some of these rules really are living in their own little worlds!

Their world 《--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------》 Reality!

But yes. Even the ones who are not so serious are having a cry for help where they need someone to say it is ok and to comfort them.

It is a bit like I have seen where a site owner specifically says he or she bans politics and religion, but then goes and makes a comment which can ONLY be replied to by involving politics or religion. (Many people leave such sites out of frustration because the site owner is not keeping to their own rules).

Anyway. I am going off subject in my reply again.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Jan 2021, 9:09 am

KT67 wrote:
When you're on social media, sometimes you get ppl saying s**t like 'I'm going to kill myself'.

It's esp tragic on youtube where you can see they're about to do it. Even me as an autistic person, I can tell if someone's f*****g about or serious. And some of these they're really seriously ill.

It's against site rules on most of these sites. But all they do is ban someone. The same thing that they would do for eg if someone said a bunch of hateful stuff.

I think there should be a way for them to track IP address and contact the local mental hospital, forward the videos onto them & get these people help.

I'd be more inclined to report if I knew that was the case.

Esp for NTs but for anyone experiencing mental health issues, it's important to have an outlet & I don't like taking away what might be someone's only outlet.

I like that you’re thinking creatively to find a solution to this problem but I must admit I find the proposed solution rather scary. It’s also not really how institutions like hospitals tend to work.

My view is that it would be better to provide the suicidal person with resources - hotlines, websites, and maybe emergency numbers. In most cases I do think the content should be removed, although I’d differentiate end-of-life decisions (which mature audiences should be allowed to discuss) from suicidal wishes arising from mental illness.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 9:35 am

When one is suicidal one is not in the position to deal with phoning an official athority for help. The thought of the trauma of trying to get help when one needs it and the months of official appointments and various other things on top of the resons why one is not coping is enough to make one not even think about calling for help.

The ones who do call for help using official channels are usually able to express themselves and want all the attention they can get...

Though it is a different subject and not one about suicide, when I hit burnout last, it was the first time I was able to ask for help and understand what I had been going through as in the past I knew I was desperate for help but I did not know who to ask or how to explain what it was I was going through.

It was a MASSIVE thing for me to ask for help when I did back in 2019 and I am soo glad I did. But the problem with these things is that when one reaches a crises, one does not have the ability to cope with the system of being helped if that makes sense? It is probably why so few ask for help when they really need it. I only asked for help with a determination because I woke up to the fact that if I didn't I would end up in in a worse mess then before and things had become serious!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I have to laugh. (Not that I intend to be mean). A lady I know who we have not seen for years who we knew from a smallholders group that my parents set up years ago, is one of the most highly strung people I know. She and her husband are always quarelling because she is soo fully charged! I know they really love each other and it is just their character...
But what really amused me is that she became a fully qualified counsellor to deal with those needing help in a mental way. It makes me giggle to think about it, as if I thought I would have needed counselling, I would definately need it after visiting her! Hahaha! She is a kind hearted person... Just soo highly strung!
In my teenage years to early 20's I once cycled to their house with my brother and spent the night in a tent. It was hillarious as I happened to see in the distance in the opposite side of the deep valley that I was being watched by a neighbour. I mentioned it and she got her binoculars and showed me her neighbour who happened to be looking back with her binoculars... But the funny thing about it was the way they communicated, as if her husband was about a quarter of a mile away down the fields she would take a deep breath and shout and they would communicate like this. How such a little lady had such a voice and her tall husband could be heard replying...
And while their neighbour on the other side of the valley was not quite in range to hear the words if they shouted, they would shout to look at each other with binoculars and wave to each other if they wanted anything. (It took a good while for the neighbour to get to them as when she called her neighbour it took her neighbour about half an hour to arrive, but it was all quite an experience I remember. There was no flat land there in that valley so my brother and I ended up waking up at the bottom end of our tents in the morning! :D ).

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 11 Jan 2021, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 9:59 am

The lad last night (I call him a lad but he's a man he just seems to have quite a few additional needs etc) got reported and reported. I reported. The eventual thing was police came in.

That's the point in which I think NHS should get involved.

Not police.

Because I imagine what was going on was he was being sectioned. And police is scary for anyone, esp in certain communities where they have bad rep.

Up til that point people deserve their privacy but if someone's getting sectioned I don't get why police have to be involved in that. It shouldn't be seen as a punishment but as emergency health care.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:23 am

I think it is that sometimes the police have to restrain the person to prevent them from killing themselves and the NHS are not allowed to do this.
The police are well trained for this and they do care. It breaks their hearts when they don't make it in time. Underneath that hard exterior they really go through a lot on a personal level in what they deal with.
The issue the police face is that they have to deal with both situations where they have to be tough and act fast, and other situations where they have to be delicate and it is not always easy to do both.
I have known of both the best and the worst of policing and the best I rank as heros and the worst are really in the wrong jobs, but I really appreciate the difficult jobs they have to do. One of the most difficult parts of one side of policing is the British Transport Police who have to be called out with any railway related issues as they see a lot of suicides. I don't know how I did it, but I was one of the rare train staff who did not have a suicide happen in front of my train. It was always the train in front or the train behind.

I am in tears as I suddenly thought of a way to prevent some deaths which might work.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:28 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I think it is that sometimes the police have to restrain the person to prevent them from killing themselves and the NHS are not allowed to do this.
The police are well trained for this and they do care. It breaks their hearts when they don't make it in time. Underneath that hard exterior they really go through a lot on a personal level in what they deal with.
The issue the police face is that they have to deal with both situations where they have to be tough and act fast, and other situations where they have to be delicate and it is not always easy to do both.
I have known of both the best and the worst of policing and the best I rank as heros and the worst are really in the wrong jobs, but I really appreciate the difficult jobs they have to do. One of the most difficult parts of one side of policing is the British Transport Police who have to be called out with any railway related issues as they see a lot of suicides. I don't know how I did it, but I was one of the rare train staff who did not have a suicide happen in front of my train. It was always the train in front or the train behind.

I am in tears as I suddenly thought of a way to prevent some deaths which might work.

Not sure about the police where you are, but the police where I am at seem to get a thrill from using force against someone who they believe needs mental health services.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:49 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Can you tell everyone the way to prevent deaths?

It might not work or it might be too upsetting to say it but any solution is better than nothing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 10:53 am

KT67 wrote:
The lad last night (I call him a lad but he's a man he just seems to have quite a few additional needs etc) got reported and reported. I reported. The eventual thing was police came in...
To whom was the person reported?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 3:42 pm

One thing we can all do is a mental health first aid course and get some training in how to help people in crisis.

Signposting is one thing but as mentioned above, if someone is so low they may not be able to make calls.

A crisis team usually deals with someone who is suicidal but resources are thin these days everywhere and in all countries.

So what would be helpful is to get educated and tooled up with knowledge and resources and some listening skills.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 6:28 am

Fnord wrote:
KT67 wrote:
The lad last night (I call him a lad but he's a man he just seems to have quite a few additional needs etc) got reported and reported. I reported. The eventual thing was police came in...
To whom was the person reported?

Youtube.

I think Youtube eventually reported it to Police Scotland. Either that or people on the stream did: idk how they knew his IP though so that's why I suspect the site did it.

Police turned up at his to section him.

He's alive still so it worked but it seems like it's not really a police matter & he shouldn't be punished over it.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 6:40 am

KT67 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

It might not work or it might be too upsetting to say it but any solution is better than nothing.

In my area most suicides that I knew of in recent times happened on the railway.
If the design of the trains is altered slightly they will be far less likely to die as most deaths occur because the train goes over their bodies. Trains have metal snowploughs but these are raised. They are only lowered in the snow. They are hard things to hit. But if a type of design is used to push bodies away from the wheels which is a more smooth forgiving material, yes the person will still get hurt but there is a good chance they will survive.
The basic idea is for their bodies to bounce sideways out of harms way rather then be crushed underneath or just hit dead on.
It is not just people. As trains can't just stop and often in the dark the drivers can't see anything (They tried bright lights but found when trains passed each other the brightness blinded oncoming traindrivers from seeing signals), they often run over animals, so it will also be used to prevent animals from going under trains.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 7:10 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
KT67 wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

In my area most suicides that I knew of in recent times happened on the railway.
If the design of the trains is altered slightly they will be far less likely to die as most deaths occur because the train goes over their bodies. Trains have metal snowploughs but these are raised. They are only lowered in the snow. They are hard things to hit. But if a type of design is used to push bodies away from the wheels which is a more smooth forgiving material, yes the person will still get hurt but there is a good chance they will survive.
The basic idea is for their bodies to bounce sideways out of harms way rather then be crushed underneath or just hit dead on.
It is not just people. As trains can't just stop and often in the dark the drivers can't see anything (They tried bright lights but found when trains passed each other the brightness blinded oncoming traindrivers from seeing signals), they often run over animals, so it will also be used to prevent animals from going under trains.

I really hope that your solution can happen one day.

It would prevent suicides and also make it safer for animals like Railway Cat, a cat I used to know who hung out at the train station where I commuted to uni.

I worried for him because he would just walk across the line. I'm sure at one point or other he'll get hit.

A lot of 'unsuccessful' suicides are people who then go to hospital & get treatment & get better. So it's important to prevent things physically as well as treating the emotional/mental side of it.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 10:06 am

There's another issue regarding social media and mental health. It is the NT-hatred against non-NT-people, a hatred on social media against people with mental health issues.

Recently I've read forum post (elsewhere - other forum) regarding people with mental disorders should be exterminated because of their psychiatric illness.

I really wish I could publicly say my opinion on WP of what should happen to such scum/garbage people spewing out their unjustified hatred and discrimination against people with a diagnosis.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 10:14 am

[advocate=devil's]

Just for the sake of arguing an opposing view, would or would not the mentally ill be better served by keeping their symptoms and diagnoses off of social media websites, and presenting them only to appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health practitioners?

It seems as if sharing one's mental state with complete strangers on a public website known for its members' hostility to toward the mentally ill is akin to deliberately cutting one's wrists in a swimming pool full of sharks.

[/advocate]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 10:40 am

Fnord wrote:
[advocate=devil's]

Just for the sake of arguing an opposing view, would or would not the mentally ill be better served by keeping their symptoms and diagnoses off of social media websites, and presenting them only to appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health practitioners?

It seems as if sharing one's mental state with complete strangers on a public website known for its members' hostility to toward the mentally ill is akin to deliberately cutting one's wrists in a swimming pool full of sharks.

[/advocate]

Just for the sake of arguing against your opposing view, would or would not members hostile toward the mentally ill be better dealt with by keeping such members off of social media websites and presenting their views nowhere?