Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 10:34 pm

Texas GOP chair floats secession for 'law-abiding states' after Supreme Court defeat

Quote:
The chairman of the Texas Republican Party appeared to float secession after the Supreme Court shot down a lawsuit led by the Lone Star State seeking to overturn the results of the presidential election.

Texas GOP Chairman Allen West rebuked the high court in a statement, saying that "law-abiding states" should "form a Union" after the decision throwing out the lawsuit from Texas.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 10:35 pm

I'm surprised he didn't call for a confederation of seditious states. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 10:45 pm

Good luck to him on that. Texas looks like it's a purple state these days (well...maroon heading purple) and with as many Californians migrating in it's getting bluer every day. Doubt it would ever become California 2.0 culturally but I won't be surprised if Austin or some other quirky city becomes a bypass for Silicon Valley.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

alphaEmpathy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2020, 12:03 am

If any of the southern states decide to secede, lots of major companies will probably relocate and this will further damage the economy in the South. Some major companies (including AT&T, Dell, Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowe's) have headquarters down in the south, and it's very possible that a company that doesn't want to have their image associated with their state seceding will move their headquarters elsewhere. The South is very economically vulnerable as is, and these companies might be the only thing other than government support keeping it from collapsing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 12:11 am

Why don't they put it to a referendum?

You know ... a popular vote ... with the whole world watching as every ballot is cast, collected, and counted.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 1:09 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Good luck to him on that. Texas looks like it's a purple state these days (well...maroon heading purple) and with as many Californians migrating in it's getting bluer every day. Doubt it would ever become California 2.0 culturally but I won't be surprised if Austin or some other quirky city becomes a bypass for Silicon Valley.

What parts of California do the Californians migrating to Texas come from?

According to my boyfriend who was born and raised in California: Some parts of California (all the rural parts, plus most of Orange County) are very right wing -- even more right wing than most red states.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:49 am

Eon Musk recently said that "California acts too entitled" , and said that he is taking his marbles, and his factory, and is going to Texas to play.

So what would Eon Musk think about Texan secession?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 6:42 am

- So, first an attempt to disenfranchise 20,750,342 voters (Jim Crow, version 2.0)
- Now, an attempt to secede from the US (Confederate States of America, version 2.0)

... what next?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 11:33 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

From the descriptions I've heard it seems to come down to cost of living, unfriendliness to business, tax levels, so mostly urban/suburban middle class and upward.

An article on the migration:
https://calmatters.org/politics/2020/10 ... und-state/

I don't know if it will be enough to make California purple (the rural voters you mentioned aren't dealing with as many of the same pressures) but it may very well be enough to send Texas in that direction.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 3:58 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:

According to my boyfriend who was born and raised in California: Some parts of California (all the rural parts, plus most of Orange County) are very right wing -- even more right wing than most red states.

Texas is decidedly blue but it's a big state. There are plenty of conservatives. They're mainly in the suburbs, rural areas, the north, and the east of the state. Especially those middle-class conservatives in the suburbs have been moving to more red states. Both because Cali is blue and because Cali is woefully mismanaged. I mostly hear about them moving to Arizona and Texas. Arizona was already the go-to state for older, retiring California republicans.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:02 pm

GGPViper wrote:
- So, first an attempt to disenfranchise 20,750,342 voters (Jim Crow, version 2.0)
- Now, an attempt to secede from the US (Confederate States of America, version 2.0)

... what next?

Reconstruction 2.0 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

... what next?
Reconstruction 2.0 8)
Then Jim Crow, version 3.0 ... and the cycle continues ... :(

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2020, 4:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

... what next?
Reconstruction 2.0 8)
Then Jim Crow, version 3.0 ... and the cycle continues ... :(

The Jim Crow era might largely have been a result of not seeing Reconstruction through the first time around. Hopefully that mistake will be avoided if the opportunity ever presents itself again.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う