Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 3:47 pm

The God that is usually portrayed in the abrahamic religions, that is both omnipotent and omniscient is too extreme for my taste.

First of all, if God is omnipotent and omniscient, there shouldn't be so much evil in this world. I'm not talking about the evil people do to each other.

I'm talking about the evils of nature - disabilities and incurable diseases. Earthquakes and other natural disasters.

That is evidence that God cannot be omnibenevolent and omnipotent simultanously, as you can never defend causing innocent people to get an incurable disease and let them know they have only a month or so to live, before they will slowly be choking to death from the cancer that eats their body and cannot be eased with medication. That's evil.

<removed by moderator>

I do like the idea of an omniscient but powerless God. Though, that seems too irrational, as why would you believe in an omniscient but not omnipotent deity? What use does God have then? There's no purpose to it.

Years of thinking about this have let me to do the following conclusion about God:

Forget all about what God isn't, because there's too much that God isn't.
So what IS God?

From my perspective, I think God should be defined within the context of human consciousness and shared experiences. That means amongst humans, as a an idea personfied. An idealized picture of how the world should be, something to strive for.

If we are to define a kind deity, it should be a personification of the idea of kindness. Of course that would be subjective. What is kind to one may hurt another, ie. killing an animal to get the food you're about to share with others.

But it's not the killing that is "kind" (except euthanasia). It is the sharing. It is the caring for the weak, the disabled etc.

You might say you could do just that without the belief in God. But I choose to define the belief in God as the belief in compassion and forgiveness.

It's no different. The only difference is the terminology and wording.

God can be anything you want. It could be "the sum of all irrational numbers" or "the square root of -1" or it could be:

"The personification of the idea of the sum of all the kindness, forgiveness, compassion, peace, personal freedom and welfare".

Last edited by magz on 02 Dec 2020, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.: Sweeping attack removed

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2020, 4:08 pm

Who is asking these questions?

The lower mind.

The more one questions,remains in the lower mind,the mouse treadmill and the dog chasing it's tail.

Quiet inner knowing,quietening the lower mind,doing good,just 'being' and being at peace,

what more would one want?

Do we have to know?

If we did know,wouldn't that take the magick out of living?

What is the use of questioning,as we won't get the answers anyway,

so what's the point?

Like worrying isn't it....that's fruitless too.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 6:20 pm

What's the point of redefining god instead of identifying as an atheist? You didn't explain why you want to redefine it, only why you reject the traditional idea of God.

I would rather call myself an atheist because it's less confusing and I don't want to reinforce religion's claim on morality.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2020, 6:35 pm

Udinaas wrote:
I would rather call myself an atheist because it's less confusing and I don't want to reinforce religion's claim on morality.

Why call yourself anything?

Do we really need to put a label on ourselves,that we are this or that?

Or are we programmed by society,that we need to call ourselves something and or label ourselves to fit in somewhere?

Or is calling ourselves something and or labeling ourselves,from the ego lower mind?

Or is it,because we don't know 'self',nor a strong sense of 'self'?

nor a strong sense of non-identity.

When all we have is 'self'.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2020, 7:15 pm

By defining G-d as omniscient and omnipotent, AD omitting that He is also omnipresent, you have already redefined Him.

Omnipresence means that you, me, everything and everyone is already a part of God (spelled right this time).

It's our common responsibility to make our lives, our environments, our hopes and our future, a Heaven on Earth. The glory of God will then resonate within each of us, and the "evil" ones will have to change side.

Live <-> Evil = EL ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_(deity) )

Lastly, the is only ONE liberty, ONE freedom. When you start losing it, you have to solve a puzzle. And the more pieces you lose, the more you need help from other people. That is as simple as that.

Sorry, if some here did not want this answer. I need to ventilate, sometimes. The 'magick' of life, hmm, spelled the Crowley way.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 7:35 pm

I have always thought of God as a personification of nature, or in the case of polytheistic religions, various aspects of nature.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 8:08 pm

Link: How to Create Your Own God

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2020, 9:52 pm

Ask An Ant How It Builds An Ant
Mound And As Soon As One
Builds An Ant Mound
Voila Definition
Of God
Do
Indeed
At Least
Until Humans
Get Lost In Words
Away From Building
Ant Mounds on the Fly

God Is Building Ant

Mounds i Kid

You Not

The

Evidence

Is The Ant Mound

Or In Other Words

Prove 'The Ant' isn't God...

Alpha Through Omega including

-The Ant

Problem

Solved

But only

Going by This

Abrahamic Religious

Expression of What God Is All That Is...

Problem

Comes in

When Folks

Develop Written

Words and Naturally

Divide God As The Idols

They Create Painted Words on Pages

Scratched In Sand Or However Symbols

Come to Be to Express The Nature of What Is

But Again God Is

More Than A Word

Of Course As Alpha

Through Omega Simply

Means All That Is Being Now

Or A Living Tree Words Do Vary....

And

Ant Exists...

As i AM (Ant) Too...

It's Just That Ants Don't

Get All Separated With

Words Building Mounds of God...

Basically Defining God is Never Ending

Stories in No Particular Place Just Everywhere And

Everything And Beyond What We Will Ever Feel Sense and Know...

Again

Though

A Naked Beach

Without Any

Cultural

Words

And Other

All Tools Human

Create Feels and

Senses the Same God as Ant

Or Whatever Else All that is Just

Is and the other Thing too... Nothing....

We Can

Feel Or

Sense as Some

Of Us Feel and

Sense More And

Less Of All Just More Of All...

True i've Met some folks who

Describe A Very Minute God i kid

You Not i Heard someone say God is Just one 'Ant'....

in Other

Letters

Just One Three Letter Word....

'Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha'

i 'Believe It Might Have Been This Dude

Honestly, i Just Don't Trust Folks Like 'this'....

With All Their With All Their Empty Lies Just Lies....

Yet

That

Is A Four
Letter Plural Word....

The Dude Below Pretty
Much 'Spells Out' What IT's NOT ALL about...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 01 Dec 2020, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InsomniaNoir
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2020, 7:56 pm

When people make these kinds of claims I like to point to what Anselm said: God is the greatest being that can be conceived. That isn't to say "great" in the sense of accolades and goodness (in this case). God exists as a category in the human mind that he, himself, exceeds. We cannot conceive of anything greater in that sense and, at least I believe, God is bigger than that category.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2020, 8:29 pm

God's "definition," to me, is a choice for the individual.

ElabR8Aspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2020, 2:43 am

InsomniaNoir wrote:
When people make these kinds of claims I like to point to what Anselm said: God is the greatest being that can be conceived. That isn't to say "great" in the sense of accolades and goodness (in this case). God exists as a category in the human mind that he, himself, exceeds. We cannot conceive of anything greater in that sense and, at least I believe, God is bigger than that category.

Accolade yourself with 'great'.

You have a 'great' mind.