MAGA Riots, Woke Riots, impeachment, and hypocracy

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 6:49 am

During the impeachment debate, a number of Republicans called out Democrats for being all upset about the MAGA riot when being at least sympathetic to or excusing the widespread rioting following the murder of George Floyd. Anybody who has read my posts knows I am probably the most consistent critic on this site of BLM, Antifa, and local and state politicians who did not enforce laws against rioting out of apparent sympathy with the cause. The other "conservatives" have been banned or have left the site.

While I agree that the democrats who a few months ago were enabling woke riots who are now appalled are hypocrites there are two humongous problems with Republicans calling them out on it. The woke inspired riots are state and local matters that had nothing to do with what was voted on. If you are against enabling riots the last thing you should have done is vote against impeachment. As consistently nauseated as I was with how a lot of state and local politicians handled the woke riots none of them ever spoke to the rioters before they stormed police stations nor told the rioters they loved them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Jan 2021, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 7:15 am

Riots are the language of the unheard. What was being unheard by either groups when the riots happened?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 7:31 am

"Woke" riots?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 7:36 am

GGPViper wrote:
"Woke" riots?

Woke inspired riots. Antifa riots, BLM and BLM inspired riots.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 7:43 am

The President said he “loved” the rioters via Twitter.

That sort of says it all.

Cuomo never said, say, that he “loved” the looters in NYC. He called them “criminals,” instead.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 8:05 am

There were no BLM or Antifa riots last year. I grew up in Baltimore and I would know a riot if I saw one

However here's an uplifting piece from the Baltimore Sun, enjoy!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 8:11 am

I can't wait until the Woke movement is over.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 9:45 am

Where exactly is this hypocrisy of which you speak?

The summer protests(some of which turned into riots, and some of which stayed peaceful but were broken up by violence by the police ) were not in any sense the property of any particular political party (Democrat, or otherwise). So it was never the job of any particular political party to stop the riots. The riots were spontaneous combustion inspired by the sight of a man being killed on camera on TV, and would have happened even if the Democrat party didnt exist.

In contrast Trump IS the sole owner and proprietor of the Capital Hill attack because he inspired it with his words by refusing to concede defeat in an honest and fair election- and preaching to his followers to keep on fighting, and to distrust the whole democratic process. It wouldnt have happened had Trump comported himself like a conventional defeated candidate who encourages conciliation in a concession speech. Trump was at least criminally negligent, and would have been sued for such because of the foreseeable consenquences of his words had this been some normal business situation. And arguably he was worse than criminally negligent, and was guilty of actual malice of forethought.

If the DNC had created a deep fake video of George Floyd being snuffed by cops infront of a camera on national TV (and if George Floyd were really still alive in hiding) then That would be the equivalent of the lies Trump would tell in his speeches and tweets about the election being stolen. And even then...the resulting "woke rioters" never attempted to seize the Capitol and to overturn a national election.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:05 am

I'd agree with what's said throughout the thread above that the factors of coagulation are different, and with last week the President's role was a serious problem. At the rioters level they seem to be rough equivalents to one another across the political spectrum.

The impression that this lends - this is the sort of entropy you see when systems start failing. It's not that these people are like fruit flies that seem to show up or go away based on the abundance or rotten fruit, they're always there but when things are going well they don't have anything to rally around. I'd add - things could be going far worse, just that the amplification of what seem to be very niche and specific American political issues seems to be broadcast around the globe thanks to social media.

What I found alarming about the George Floyd riots for example wasn't that they happened in the US, Rodney King was a similar kind of flash point and this time we had people pent up in their houses for months prior. Even seeing him painted as if he were some martyred saint didn't surprise me - this is sort of how archetypes work. What did shock and worry me was seeing support riots around the globe and the potential for anything kicking off anywhere now, at least in 'the west', to trigger seemingly global reactions seems like something new. I guess it's less shocking when there's a terrorist bombing somewhere in the world and everyone on Facebook puts on their flag filters because hundreds or more people died, it's a slightly different animal if it ever escalates into world-wide college May Day over one person being killed somewhere (it wasn't *that* bad but it seemed to be more in that direction than I would have ever anticipated). It's not that we shouldn't care when these things happen, just that we have to figure out what reactions on our part actually help make the situation worse, and we still have to figure out what to do with just how much of an amplifying effect social media has.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:12 am

MaxE wrote:
There were no BLM or Antifa riots last year. I grew up in Baltimore and I would know a riot if I saw one

However here's an uplifting piece from the Baltimore Sun, enjoy!

Gaslighting
200 cities imposed curfews and thirty states called out the national guard because they felt like it. Insurance companies paid out 1 to 2 billion dollars the largest amount in US history. I have always viewed insurance companies as unusually greedy. I must have been misinformed.

Are there still blackboards around these days? If there are I need to write on one “There is nothing to see there” 100 times.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Jan 2021, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:30 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Where exactly is this hypocrisy of which you speak?

The summer protests(some of which turned into riots, and some of which stayed peaceful but were broken up by violence by the police ) were not in any sense the property of any particular political party (Democrat, or otherwise). So it was never the job of any particular political party to stop the riots. The riots were spontaneous combustion inspired by the sight of a man being killed on camera on TV, and would have happened even if the Democrat party didnt exist.

In contrast Trump IS the sole owner and proprietor of the Capital Hill attack because he inspired it with his words by refusing to concede defeat in an honest and fair election- and preaching to his followers to keep on fighting, and to distrust the whole democratic process. It wouldnt have happened had Trump comported himself like a conventional defeated candidate who encourages conciliation in a concession speech. Trump was at least criminally negligent, and would have been sued for such because of the foreseeable consenquences of his words had this been some normal business situation. And arguably he was worse than criminally negligent, and was guilty of actual malice of forethought.

If the DNC had created a deep fake video of George Floyd being snuffed by cops infront of a camera on national TV (and if George Floyd were really still alive in hiding) then That would be the equivalent of the lies Trump would tell in his speeches and tweets about the election being stolen. And even then...the resulting "woke rioters" never attempted to seize the Capitol and to overturn a national election.

In the larger sense it is more progressive and conservative. I was specifically reacting to the charges in the impeachment debate by Republicans that the Democrats were being hypocrites for impeaching Trump so its natural I would focus on the parties. A lot of the riots in the summer were in cities which are usually run by Democratic mayors and in some of these cities the riots were allowed to fester longer then they should have.
When the subject of the post George Floyd riots are brought up here on WP, in columns etc Democrat supporters often deflect from this criticism with the “mostly peaceful” and a variation of we don’t condone this but the cause is righteous type arguments. There were very few claims of incitement on the Democratic side to claims of illegitimate stolen elections due to voter suppression, Diabold voting machines, interference from Russians. That is the hypocracy.

No I do not think those “incitements” remotely compare to what Trump has done. That was the whole point of my OP to call out the republicans on their chutzpah of using Democrat hypocrisy as an excuse to vote no on impeachment.

If it is true I am seeing hypocracy that does not exist the republicans using the non existent hypocrisy as an excuse to vote no is even more egregious.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
During the impeachment debate, a number of Republicans called out Democrats for being all upset about the MAGA riot when being at least sympathetic to or excusing the widespread rioting following the murder of George Floyd. Anybody who has read my posts knows I am probably the most consistent critic on this site of BLM, Antifa, and local and state politicians who did not enforce laws against rioting out of apparent sympathy with the cause. The other "conservatives" have been banned or have left the site.

While I agree that the democrats who a few months ago were enabling woke riots who are now appalled are hypocrites there are two humongous problems with Republicans calling them out on it. The woke inspired riots are state and local matters that had nothing to do with what was voted on. If you are against enabling riots the last thing you should have done is vote against impeachment. As consistently nauseated as I was with how a lot of state and local politicians handled the woke riots none of them ever spoke to the rioters before they stormed police stations nor told the rioters they loved them.

The Capitol riots were not the only violent right-wing riots this year. If you are against this violent behavior at political protests, why are you singling out those you only have ideological differences with? I don't support violent protests. We should be protesting peacefully, and that includes police response. What I have a problem with is people cherry picking their facts to use protests for an ideological agenda.

The biggest problem with the Conservative movement is it is not looking for solutions. It is simply trying to delegitimatize their opponent to simply push their ideology. Delegitimatizing a group is not the same as disagreeing with them. Delegitimization is saying they do not have any validity. You complain about the "cancel culture," but you do exactly the same thing (and the right has been doing this for a long time).

When you start looking to discuss solutions and looking at the problems our nation is facing, that might make a forum where an honest discussion can take place. Right now, we are seeing the consequences of this policy of delegitimization--rioters that think they are entitled to overturn an election because they did not get their candidate and only their conservative candidate can legitimately govern. That is not how a democracy works. It didn't used be be how conservatism worked, but we are far from that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 3:15 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
The Capitol riots were not the only violent right-wing riots this year. If you are against this violent behavior at political protests, why are you singling out those you only have ideological differences with? I don't support violent protests. We should be protesting peacefully, and that includes police response. What I have a problem with is people cherry picking their facts to use protests for an ideological agenda.

The biggest problem with the Conservative movement is it is not looking for solutions. It is simply trying to delegitimatize their opponent to simply push their ideology. Delegitimatizing a group is not the same as disagreeing with them. Delegitimization is saying they do not have any validity. You complain about the "cancel culture," but you do exactly the same thing (and the right has been doing this for a long time).

When you start looking to discuss solutions and looking at the problems our nation is facing, that might make a forum where an honest discussion can take place. Right now, we are seeing the consequences of this policy of delegitimization--rioters that think they are entitled to overturn an election because they did not get their candidate and only their conservative candidate can legitimately govern. That is not how a democracy works. It didn't used be be how conservatism worked, but we are far from that.

True what we call conservatism today is now Trumpism a revolutionary movement driven by owning the libs.

This is the second time you said I am using "cancel culture". The last time I asked you to tell me how I am doing that because if I am doing that it is is something I would like to purge. Who or what have I advocated "canceling"?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 5:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
No I do not think those “incitements” remotely compare to what Trump has done. That was the whole point of my OP to call out the republicans on their chutzpah of using Democrat hypocrisy as an excuse to vote no on impeachment.

This point was far from clear I think most people read something else into it. Perhaps "Republican chutzpah vs. Democrat hypocrisy" might have been a better subject line? Then readers would have dug in more to get a sense of what you were trying to say. Instead, they seized on interpretations that weren't in agreement with what you intended. Trust me you're not the only one.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 6:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This is the second time you said I am using "cancel culture". The last time I asked you to tell me how I am doing that because if I am doing that it is is something I would like to purge. Who or what have I advocated "canceling"?

By delegitimatizing your opponents. Yes, there was violence at BLM protests. There is absolutely no excuse for it. Who exactly is defending that? And like groups like the Proud Boys that just want to stir up trouble, Antifa is no different (I just wish the police would treat those groups equally).

Now, what about the vast majority of protests that were peaceful? Do you think those people that are looking to simply be treated the same as others in this society are asking too much? Or do you deny the systemic racism in this country? I am not hearing a lot of discussion from you about the cause of these protests. We can try to delegitimizes the BLM protest by using the few protest that were violent, but the issue still remains.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 6:33 pm

MaxE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

This point was far from clear I think most people read something else into it. Perhaps "Republican chutzpah vs. Democrat hypocrisy" might have been a better subject line? Then readers would have dug in more to get a sense of what you were trying to say. Instead, they seized on interpretations that weren't in agreement with what you intended. Trust me you're not the only one.

Thanks.
The limited amount of characters allowed for the subject line sometimes flusters me.