Page 44 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 53  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 11:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's idiotic to "cancel someone" for either "having an accent" or "not having an accent."

I wish people would get off their high horse already!

I think it's fair for people to be less than receptive to people who fake an AAVE associated accent because it's the image they want to present.

It's really not that different from if I got negative push-back for rapping in a poorly faked NYC accent; it's not authentic and it's taking something that isn't mine in hopes of making a career out of playing a caricature of someone else reality. People are entitled to think less of someone they perceive as fake.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 12:16 pm

Faking an accent in a mockery way is like when kids would mimic my speech impediment and my stutter. I always felt like I was being made fun of and bullied.

Now in some cultures, when you move there or are visiting, they actually want you to say words in how they pronounce them. I as an American felt disrespected in London when I was told how to say "arts and crafts." I am an American, not a Brit so to me to try and talk to like them with a fake British accent would be disrespectful unless I am an actress playing a British character. It's nuance.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 12:31 pm

Some people cannot help this thing of imitating accents , it is a part of and a version of Echocolia .
Especially if a autistic likes the way it sounds when they move their mouth, or sounds more smoothly to their ears,
And can be completely unconscious . But in case of just mimicking speech difficulties to make sport of someone is a different matter. :(

where ever you go ,there you are

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 1:44 pm

Those who fake accents for their own convenience SHOULD be canceled.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 4:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Many Asian parents were already angered by the board’s efforts to end merit-based admissions at the elite Lowell High School, where Asian students are the majority.

Ann Hsu, a mother of two who helped found the task force, said many Chinese voters saw the effort to change the Lowell admissions system as a direct attack.

“It is so blatantly discriminatory against Asians,” she said. In the city’s Chinese community, Lowell is viewed as a path children can take to success.

This vote was the opposite of a racist, reactionary vote. It was literally a vote against racism, racism against the Chinese. Since the vote was “overwhelming” it had to be more then the Chinese-American vote.

I was watching one of hezakaya's videos on school integration in Atalanta Georgia in 1970. I was absolutely shocked to see that white families organised busses to take their primary school aged kids out of their local schools which the federal government had forcibly integrated.

I wasn't aware the white families were pro-active in fighting integration as late as the 1970s by sending their children to all-white schools hours away. What was even more shocking was that 6 of the children in one bus were east Asian,

Then it dawned on me, One of my mother's friends who grew up in California in the 1950/60s said that east Asian parents had the option to send their children to any school but 100% avoided any schools with blacks and deliberately and actively sided with racist white parents in fighting integration for exactly the same reason as white parents.

Any wonder I see Asian faces fighting affirmative action and CRT in their schools in 2022. Same mentality.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 6:10 pm

Jakki wrote:
Some people cannot help this thing of imitating accents , it is a part of and a version of Echocolia .

I've had that really bad a few times, I did an Outward Bound trip in my teens where I lived on a boat with 13 other people for three weeks and one had a thick Alabama drawl, and I *could not* stop picking up his accent, I spent half the trip apologizing (the Alabaman just laughed it off).

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 6:19 pm

I have mixed feelings about blaccents, as some people do acquire them honestly or affect them for legitimate reasons, I only start to have an issue when they're part of some sort of deception, like a wealthy suburbanite actually trying to pass themself off as from the inner city or something. Nobody bats an eye if a comic affects a backwoods accent or Long Island Lockjaw for comedic effect, I don't think the blaccent needs to be treated any differently.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 8:19 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I have mixed feelings about blaccents, as some people do acquire them honestly or affect them for legitimate reasons, I only start to have an issue when they're part of some sort of deception, like a wealthy suburbanite actually trying to pass themself off as from the inner city or something. Nobody bats an eye if a comic affects a backwoods accent or Long Island Lockjaw for comedic effect, I don't think the blaccent needs to be treated any differently.

You mean like how Awkwafina mysteriously sounds "black" on stage and like a "Valley girl" when talking to white or Asian people?

She seems to be another east Asian who doesn't practice what she preaches
https://www.papermag.com/awkwafina-blac ... elltitem10

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 8:46 pm

Dox47 wrote:

The deception aspect is the main one that bothers me, more than if it's an accent associated with a particular ethnic group. That's why I went with the example I picked earlier or why I'd defend someone like R.A. the Rugged Man or Necro but not Awkwafina.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2022, 1:35 am

But Awkwafina does hip hop music though, so doesn't it make sense to take on such an accent when trying to be off that style of singing? For example Huey Lewis is white, but he makes his voice soundblack since he did soul music, wanted to do sound how black soul singers sing, in order to do the genre style he wanted.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2022, 2:19 am

ironpony wrote:
But Awkwafina does hip hop music though, so doesn't it make sense to take on such an accent when trying to be off that style of singing? For example Huey Lewis is white, but he makes his voice soundblack since he did soul music, wanted to do sound how black soul singers sing, in order to do the genre style he wanted.

Awkwafina and Australian rapper Iggy Azalea deliberately apply a blackccent, Iggy is worse because people who grew up with her know she is faking her accent.

Elvis, Huey Lewis, ZZ Top and Eric Clapton all sang black music but their accent is their own. They don't try and exaggerate the accent.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2022, 9:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Awkwafina and Australian rapper Iggy Azalea deliberately apply a blackccent, Iggy is worse because people who grew up with her know she is faking her accent.

Elvis, Huey Lewis, ZZ Top and Eric Clapton all sang black music but their accent is their own. They don't try and exaggerate the accent.

Oh but what I meant was Huey Lewis is still trying to make his voice sound black in terms of how a black person sounds, and not the accent so much. But also, he is still also, trying to do black music, so isn't that the same thing in terms of adapting the style of music from another race?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2022, 3:47 pm

ironpony wrote:
But also, he is still also, trying to do black music, so isn't that the same thing in terms of adapting the style of music from another race?

Nearly 99% of pop, metal and jazz music today copies black music to some level.

European classical music which makes up music theory relies on three composers from the 17th century

Orchestra instruments and dance is copied from jewish, gypsy, arabic and Indian (the guitar, accordion, harp, piano and violin is gypsy and was bought over by the gypsies from India where it was based on other stringed instruments such as the Sitar)

My point is, why are you picking on Huey Lewis, he's one of thousands.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2022, 2:39 pm

Then how come people don't want to cancel musicians like Huey Lewis for taking on a black musical style, but people want to cancel Awkwafina for doing so?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 12:16 am

ironpony wrote:
Then how come people don't want to cancel musicians like Huey Lewis for taking on a black musical style, but people want to cancel Awkwafina for doing so?

As I said, the evolution of music has gone to a stage where pop music/indie/rock/metal is now white music. Huey Lewis is just pop. How people sing can't really be called appropriation anymore.

Awkwafina is deliberately doing a blackcent when she talks to the media. It's fake and cringey.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2022, 1:08 am

Oh okay I see. But what about when black Americans themselves talk in 'white accents'. Is it just as bad, but a double standard since they are never called out for it?