Page 43 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 53  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 2:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but why will it cause damage, according to them?

I find it hard to believe white kids would feel "damaged" learning American history?

Oh are we just talking about white kids? What race are the kids parents feel will be damaged? But also, I read that parents are feeling that teaching will cause devide among the students. So are they worried about the students being damaged more so, or are they worried about a devide more so?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 3:23 am

Quote:
What I see is a campaign to convince nonracists that they are racists. If you are not racist and keep on reading by "experts" how you really are a racist but can't realize it. That pretty much everything you do, even the most innocuous things you do is an example of perpetuating systematic racism, unless you have a strong constitution and understanding of yourself you are going to believe the accusation.

I was telling my daughter how people tend to not want to live in poor areas because of higher rates of crime. When people talk about more crime, most of it is just theft and people just want to live in safe areas where they don't have to worry about locking their doors or leaving things out in their yard but unfortunately poor areas tend to be higher with minorities so when people want to live in safe areas, it tends to be filled with white people and it's not because they are racist and hate black people or Hispanics and don't want to be around them, they just want to live in a safe area and that is an example of systemic racism. Same as when businesses pull out of there so the poor are left with a food desert. If you don't have a car, you have a problem with getting access to good food. Now I can understanding what people mean by how not everyone has access to good foods because they are talking about being in a food desert, not people being lazy who don't want to cook or making excuses about healthy foods being more expensive and when you do buy it cheaply, it tends to go bad fast. Two places near me that sells fresh foods tend to stay in business because they sell stuff cheaply but it goes bad quicker too we have noticed so we just go the two miles to the nearest store for shopping.

I honestly don't see any harm about this fact. That is just understanding what systemic racism is and how it works. This was never taught in my schools either and I didn't even know it existed until just last year after the George Floyd incident.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 3:28 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh are we just talking about white kids? What race are the kids parents feel will be damaged? But also, I read that parents are feeling that teaching will cause devide among the students. So are they worried about the students being damaged more so, or are they worried about a devide more so?

Let's be real, there already is already a division in schools along racial lines.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 5:15 am

Kids at younger age can be naturally rebellious. So sometimes certain things will turn kids against the very
Thing that is being taught . Especially if the child seeks approval from peers that may have bad societal sentiments .

where ever you go ,there you are

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 10:07 am

League_Girl wrote:
None of my schools taught CRT in school and the closest we ever learned about racism was segregation in high school. There was no subject about the Civil war or slavery. My choir teacher did teach some of it in class by telling us about what a song is about we are singing.

My mom knew more than I did because she was the one that told me this stuff and she loves to read so she either taught herself or her school taught it in Wisconsin. She also did live through Jim Crow times and when segregation became outlawed and she was alive when Martin Luther King did his speech and when he was assisinated. She was also pretty woke as a teen because she told me she used to correct her mother on her words like "colored people" because it was the language her mom had grown up with so to her this language was normal.

And I had no idea how bad slavery really was until my thirties until I started watching youtube videos by black people about it than hearing about it from whites. I also saw Huck Finn as an adult and it totally did not sugar coat slavery. I now understood why that book had been banned in schools. Parents didn't want their kids to know what slavery was actually like?

We were taught about the Civil War and that it was about slavery. Despite being in New York we were not taught about New York City Draft riots which was both an anti black pogrom and the 2nd worst insurrection in American History outside of the Civil War itself. I found out about it when I was in my 40s when it was briefly depicted in the film ‘Gangs of New York’ and the ensuing articles about it. Even today there are no markers or memorials about the event in New York City. While were taught how moral us northerners were, we were not taught about how rampant slavery was up here. Despite being on Long Island we were not taught about how active the KKK was here in the 1920s, that the nations eugenics record office was located here, nor about the Nazi indoctrination camp for children.

I am angry I was not taught about these historical events and that the founding fathers owned slaves. I am glad I was taught that color blindness is a goal to strive for and am sorry it is seen as just an excuse to enable racism today and those of us who believe in the goal are sheepie.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 4:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am angry I was not taught about these historical events and that the founding fathers owned slaves. I am glad I was taught that color blindness is a goal to strive for and am sorry it is seen as just an excuse to enable racism today and those of us who believe in the goal are sheepie.

In Australia the actions of the early settlers and government troops in the genocide of indigenous people was also glossed over to the point I can't recall it ever being covered.

In the case of the founding fathers there's a lot more that motivated them beyond just "ownership". There is also the steps they took to fiddle with the constitution and move slaves across state borders in order to maintain this cruel institution. No need to get started with the private life of the founding fathers either.

I think to be fair all countries that had empires partook in fairly nefarious activities are not covered in highschool history classes. The worst (surprsingly) happened during and after the French revolution. The French, Dutch, Belgians and Spanish have covered up a lot of their history as well.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 5:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Let's be real, there already is already a division in schools along racial lines.

Oh ok. Why is that? Does teaching crt make it worse?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 5:26 pm

If it’s true they don’t teach full-throttle CRT in pre-tertiary schools—and teach it only in specialized university courses, then I don’t see the harm in it.

I don’t believe little kids should be conditioned to feel like they’re either oppressors or oppressed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 5:38 pm

ironpony wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Oh ok. Why is that? Does teaching crt make it worse?

School kids tend to mix with groups they are familiar with. It;s not so severe in primary but becomes more apparent in highschool.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 5:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t believe little kids should be conditioned to feel like they’re either oppressors or oppressed.

Agreed, it won't make sense to them anyway.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 9:13 am

San Francisco recalls 3 members of city’s school board

Quote:
San Francisco residents recalled three members of the city’s school board Tuesday for what critics called misplaced priorities and putting progressive politics over the needs of children during the pandemic.

Voters overwhelmingly approved the recall in a special election, according to tallies by the San Francisco Department of Elections.

“The voters of this city have delivered a clear message that the school board must focus on the essentials of delivering a well-run school system above all else,” Mayor London Breed said in a statement. “San Francisco is a city that believes in the value of big ideas, but those ideas must be built on the foundation of a government that does the essentials well.”

Breed will now appoint board replacements to serve until another election in November.

The school board has seven members, all Democrats, but only three were eligible to be recalled:

Parents in the politically liberal city launched the recall effort in January 2021 out of frustration over the slow reopening of district schools, while the board pursued the renaming of 44 school sites and the elimination of competitive admissions at the elite Lowell High School.

In San Francisco, one of the nation’s most liberal cities, the recall effort split Democrats. Breed, a Democrat, had criticized the school board for being distracted by “political agendas.”

Collins, Lopez and Moliga had defended their records, saying they prioritized racial equity because that was what they were elected to do.

One of the first issues to grab national attention was the board’s January 2021 decision to rename 44 schools they said honored public figures linked to racism, sexism and other injustices. On the list were Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and trailblazing U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

The effort drew swift criticism for historical mistakes. Critics said it made a mockery of the country’s racial reckoning. Angry parents asked why the board would waste time renaming schools when the priority needed to be reopening classrooms.

After an uproar, the school board scrapped the plan.

Collins came under fire again for tweets she wrote in 2016 that were widely criticized as racist. In them Collins, who is Black, said Asian Americans used “white supremacist” thinking to get ahead and were racist toward Black students.

Collins said the tweets were taken out of context and posted before she held her school board position. She refused to take them down or apologize for the wording and ignored calls to resign from parents, Breed and other public officials.

Collins turned around and sued the district and her colleagues for $87 million, fueling yet another pandemic sideshow. The suit was later dismissed.

Many Asian parents were already angered by the board’s efforts to end merit-based admissions at the elite Lowell High School, where Asian students are the majority.

Ann Hsu, a mother of two who helped found the task force, said many Chinese voters saw the effort to change the Lowell admissions system as a direct attack.

“It is so blatantly discriminatory against Asians,” she said. In the city’s Chinese community, Lowell is viewed as a path children can take to success.

Bolding=mine
One of America’s most progressive cities just emphatically told the wokes to go to hell.

Will they get the message? Doubt it. They will just say the voters were brainwashed, convince themselves the vote is further proof America is racist to the core.

This vote was the opposite of a racist, reactionary vote. It was literally a vote against racism, racism against the Chinese. Since the vote was “overwhelming” it had to be more then the Chinese-American vote.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 10:15 am

Well as far as woke-ism in entertainment goes again, looks like a lot of people now want to cancel Awkwafina because she has an "African-American accent", because of where she grew up it seems, but this again is just hypocritical, because you don't see for example, Morgan Freeman being cancelled for not having a "African-American" accent even though he's black, etc.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 10:25 am

It's idiotic to "cancel someone" for either "having an accent" or "not having an accent."

I wish people would get off their high horse already!

FairyFox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2022, 10:41 am

wokies aka red guards of Cultural revolution

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 10:59 am

I wouldn't go that far for the majority of the people that are into the "woke" ideology.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2022, 11:20 am

Hmm.. Chinese as a second Language classes . Speaking of the Red Guard ? Chinese government social influencers
In not just social media? Why not do it more directly through the school system ? If the Russians can do it ? (Supposably) during the Trump campaign ?
But I maybe off center in this thread . About wokism .

where ever you go ,there you are