Page 7 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 53  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:10 pm

The woke agenda? Now please explain why the following things are bad:

Racial equality
Gender equality
Sexual orientation equality
Acceptance of autistic people
Acceptance of other disabled people

I think this is a great agenda here.

(I hope fnord didn't mind me copying and pasting part of his post)

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:22 pm

I have no objection to that agenda----whatsoever.

I object when the "woke folks" go overboard, though.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 7:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Woke is the opposite of nice, it is about cancelling people, confronting people, making people “uncomfortable” 24/7 for the purpose of exhausting people that disagree with them.

It is about being against the goal of colorblindness.

You are right in that me being autistic very much informs my opposition to woke but not for the reasons you think.

Woke emphasizes intersectionality. In and of itself the idea is not wrong. The more minority groups you belong to the more chances you will be at a disadvantage and discriminated against. But it is turning into your groups completely define you and instead of being a part of who you are.

This groupcentric world view is a key to understanding my opposition. While I identify as autistic there is that expression “if you have met one autistic you have met one autistic”. Allowing individuality is important. Many autistics such as me thrive better and are happier by ourselves.

As an autistic why would I want to err on the side of free expression for ableists, why would I want to allow their hate speech? Woke is for minorities, why would I be against that? It is precisely to because I am a member of this very small minority. For the most part the wokes have stayed away from autism concentrating on racial, sexuality, and gender issues. Eventually they will get around to us and I don’t think that will be a good thing. Wokes love diversity when it is diversity they like and if you don’t agree conform, conform and Autistics are often non conformists and as such may very well be viewed as a hate group that needs canceling. Advocate for not curing a disease that makes peoples lives miserable and kills them, that is hate speech. I can envision Autistics literalness and lack of understanding of euphemisms being misunderstood as hate. It has already happened a few times.

↑ THIS, quoted for truth.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 7:19 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Racial equality
Gender equality

It doesn't sound so bad, I know. The problem is the SJW extremists who overboard with it.
You have people looking for anything to be offended by on behalf of people who may not have a problem with it. Demanding changes to currently written popular culture and banning what's in the past. What's worse is that SJW's don't buy this crap so it's not gonna sell well with any other audience either, but writers, directors, and producers are still gonna try.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 7:25 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Racial equality
Gender equality

-Freedom of speech.
-Freedom of thought.
-A freedom from emotionalism.
-Valuing individuality rather than collectivism.
-A desire for self-actualisation.
-A freedom from anxiety.
-A freedom from gang-stalking.
-A freedom from being cancelled.

Down with power junkies!
Down with groupthink!
Down with Sanctimony!
Down with self-righteousness!
Down with virtue-signalling!
Down with those who oppress us for being who we are!
Down with those who are telling us how we should think!
Viva la revolución! :ninja:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 7:29 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Racial equality
Gender equality

It doesn't sound so bad, I know. The problem is the SJW extremists who overboard with it.
You have people looking for anything to be offended by on behalf of people who may not have a problem with it. Demanding changes to currently written popular culture and banning what's in the past. What's worse is that SJW's don't buy this crap so it's not gonna sell well with any other audience either, but writers, directors, and producers are still gonna try.

Agreed.

Achtung!
Sanctimony, self-righteousness and virtue-signalling are highly addictive. :skull:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 1:20 am

I generally find it odd that a lot of people who say that are vocal of being against what they say is groupthink, for freedom of speech and individuality, often end up being the same kind that are also into things like patriotism.

Such as people who are MAGA. How can they simultaneously say that they are so against group think, but also say that you have to worship a flag and other patriotism things. So for individuality, but also against people not being traditional. Against 'virtue signalling' and self-righteousness, but are on the side of purity culture.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 1:31 am

We are not telling anyone how they should think, as a matter of fact that's what this thread is about. You're not even fighting for anything here, simply a jumble of immaterial concepts you're hell bent on blaming younger generations for.

Excuse me but did I really miss anything?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 1:57 am

League_Girl wrote:

Racial equality
Gender equality

The agenda is to end colorblindness, have people look for systematic racism or anti-racism in every action, every word. The agenda is to make people lose their whiteness which is defined as being witting or unwitting fragile privileged racists. Claiming negative traits based on race used to be defined as racism. The agenda is to define people completely by their traits viewed as bigotry by today's standards no matter what positive, non or anti-racism they did in their lives.

Aspiegaming wrote:

It is not extremism anymore, it is increasingly mainstream thought.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 2:16 am

Bradleigh wrote:
I generally find it odd that a lot of people who say that are vocal of being against what they say is groupthink, for freedom of speech and individuality, often end up being the same kind that are also into things like patriotism.

Such as people who are MAGA. How can they simultaneously say that they are so against group think, but also say that you have to worship a flag and other patriotism things. So for individuality, but also against people not being traditional. Against 'virtue signalling' and self-righteousness, but are on the side of purity culture.

I agree that MAGA's and wokes have a lot more in common then they would care to admit.

For MAGA's RINOs might as well be commies because they enable them. For wokes there is no such thing as nonracists, they are enablers of white supremacy therefore just as bad a KKK types.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 2:22 am

cberg wrote:
We are not telling anyone how they should think, as a matter of fact that's what this thread is about. You're not even fighting for anything here, simply a jumble of immaterial concepts you're hell bent on blaming younger generations for.

Excuse me but did I really miss anything?

I blame the older generations for creating conditions whereby woke solutions seem reasonable. Critical Race Theory was formed in the 1980s thus not the younger generation. Robin DeAngelo author of "White Fragility" is 64 years old a baby boomer.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 2:41 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The agenda is to end colorblindness, have people look for systematic racism or anti-racism in every action, every word. The agenda is to make people lose their whiteness which is defined as being witting or unwitting fragile privileged racists. Claiming negative traits based on race used to be defined as racism. The agenda is to define people completely by their traits viewed as bigotry by today's standards no matter what positive, non or anti-racism they did in their lives.

That sounds like a basic missunderstanding of political beliefs, or only pulling from the most extreme examples. Or a call that certain people should be excused from spreading problematic beliefs because they were "good" once. Like, taking just an expressive colour-blindness take on identifying a problem with a situation is not entirely helpful when black people are saying that they are more likely to be harassed by the police or other forms of systematic problems.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I agree that MAGA's and wokes have a lot more in common then they would care to admit.

For MAGA's RINOs might as well be commies because they enable them. For wokes there is no such thing as nonracists, they are enablers of white supremacy therefore just as bad a KKK types.

I am not sure what your idea of a person who counts as a "woke" is, but it is not an incorrect statement to say that most people carry with them even unconscious biases that can create larger problems. That it is important to point out even small problems rather than ignore things that can create the systematic problems. I fail to see how the person pointing out racism is the same thing as a person who is a part of a group that used to lynch people.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 2:52 am

jimmy m wrote:
America is imperfect. (Does it even need to be said?) There is bigotry toward Blacks and gays and Jews and immigrants; there is intense polarization; political violence is becoming more regular; elected representatives believe conspiracy theories. All true here as in many other countries being torn apart by the dislocations of the 21st century.

But there is no gulag in America. There are no laws permitting honor killings. There is no formal social credit system of the kind that exists right now in China.

Sorry Jimmy but the author is using the time honoured tactic of pretending to acknowledge that America has flaws but then wack the liberals with "hey we aren't the Soviets or Pakistan or China much worse" so liberals should be grateful or else they should leave America because they aren't patriots.....

Heard it a hundred times :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 2:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I blame the older generations for creating conditions whereby woke solutions seem reasonable. Critical Race Theory was formed in the 1980s thus not the younger generation. Robin DeAngelo author of "White Fragility" is 64 years old a baby boomer.

Actually the real reason you have progressives (whom you label as woke) is because European colonies were hell on earth for slaves and coolies, working class, poor, natives, women, gays, the disabled and other unfortunates.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Mar 2021, 5:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Actually the real reason you have progressives (whom you label as woke) is because European colonies were hell on earth for slaves and coolies, working class, poor, natives, women, gays, the disabled and other unfortunates.

Europe itself was bulldozed with two wars and rebuilt with some new ideas in mind (of which some turned out deadly dead ends and some turned out actual improvements) but the colonies didn't go through this process to any comparable extent.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2021, 8:04 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Europe itself was bulldozed with two wars and rebuilt with some new ideas in mind (of which some turned out deadly dead ends and some turned out actual improvements) but the colonies didn't go through this process to any comparable extent.
The "Colonies" only had to fight their own internal "War of Southern Rebellion" (in which ~1,500,000 soldiers died) against a slave-based economy to maintain itself as a Union.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.