Page 7 of 34 [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 2:34 am

Ball wrote:
3) Factually, she wasn't wrong. She was clearly talking about pre-war Germany whereby propagandists started the pogrom against Jews well before the Nazis assumed power. It's an analogy to our current cancel culture and everyone should learn a bit of history before throwing mud. She never said people were being gassed. She didn't even say conservatives but rather said differences of political opinion. Now some of you think that differences of opinion deserve denying someone any ability to be employed and I find this really sad and tragic, even. At that point we have truly given up on the idea that we have a common spirit and the demonization and otherizing of people is under full sway. We know from many examples in history what follows from this and it is never good. This was Gina's point, but political heel-digging and emotionalism has blinded many of you.

Your points 1, 2&4 are open to interpretation and I honestly don't know if she is a potential collateral damage of an internal civil war within Disney (she may well have been) as Brictoria suggested. My understanding from numerous articles is that she was already on a watch list and Disney were actually turning a blind eye until her last social media post which could not be avoided.

However, your point 3 might need a little more research on your part.

Carano's post is as follows"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"

In another post, Carano showed a photo of an individual with several cloth masks covering the person's head, with the caption, "Meanwhile in California." Both of those posts had been removed from the actress's account by Wednesday afternoon.

There's a few things worth noting. Nobody in their right mind would equate the dislike normal/reasonable people have for the actions of Trump supporters (many of whom are now in jail for actual criminal offenses) with the systematic dehumanisation, torture and murder of Jewish people prior to WW2. Carano's sweeping generalisation of "hate" erroneously assumes that the hatred is political which is not true since many decent republicans also want to flush the MAGA cult down the toilet as well. Her simplistic claim that MAGAs are hated like Jews is completely false.

She also equates hatred of anti-maskers with the treatment of Jews, something anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers share is a propensity to compare the government with Nazis.

She knew her last two post was innapropriate because she hastily deleted them but left all the rest of her social media posts up.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 4:26 am

Quote:
She never said people were being gassed. She didn't even say conservatives but rather said differences of political opinion.

It was her analogy that got people upset. She implied it was just as bad as what happened to the Jews.

Quote:
She didn't even say conservatives but rather said differences of political opinion.

I didn't mention conservative either, I mentioned she posted something antisemit.

Quote:
4) Gina wasn't even fired for this.

That post may have been the last straw by Disney and she was fired for other things she had posted in the past.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 5:27 am

League_Girl wrote:
[
That post may have been the last straw by Disney and she was fired for other things she had posted in the past.

Precisely, infact Disney might have been criticised for giving a nutjob like Carano a job in the first place. Carano must be really dumb knowing she was under the spotlight she basically burned her future career because of her support for QAnon.

That's fanaticism for you.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 9:33 am

One of the most important rules of employment is: "Never embarrass the boss".

Her racist comments likely cast shade upon DisneyCo (her "Boss"), and made investors question the wisdom of hiring her.  I live in Anaheim, and I know a lot of Disney ex-employees who were let go for having their antics recorded on some website.

For instance, it may not be wise for a Disney employee to be recorded wearing "Mouse Ears" to a BLM rally or a coup attempt at our nation's Capitol.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 2:35 pm

Quote:

Or don't ever question their authority and decisions they make. Just be sheeple.

It's the same thing with groups admins too and forum moderators and coop leaders in Farmville.

How many times have we heard, "Don't argue with me?"

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 2:42 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Or don't ever question their authority and decisions they make.  Just be sheeple.  It's the same thing with groups admins too and forum moderators and coop leaders in Farmville.  How many times have we heard, "Don't argue with me?"
I do not know about you, but I more often hear things like, "Thank you for your factual observations."

If you are going to argue with the boss, (1) do it privately, (2) stick to the facts, and (3) leave your assumptions, emotions, prejudices, and speculative rumors out of it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 4:15 pm

ex-boss :lol:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 2:47 am

Quote:
BURBANK, CA—In order to silence the dangerous idea that cancel culture is real, Disney cut ties with actress Gina Carano yesterday after she posted memes on social media that suggested cancel culture is bad and also that it exists.

"Cancel culture is just an alt-right conspiracy theory, so we must cancel this actress who suggested it is real," said Kathleen Kennedy. "We are distancing ourselves from this dangerous idea by canceling the woman who perpetrated it."

According to Lucasfilm, Carano was given the opportunity to grovel, promise to do better, renounce her beliefs, and agree to undergo 8 weeks in a Disney reeducation camp if she wished to keep her job. When she refused, she was let go.

"We gave her the chance to avoid cancelation by telling her to recant her belief that cancel culture is real," said Kennedy. "We then tried to burn her at the stake, but our lawyers informed us that's still illegal. For now."

"Only when we force everyone to believe the same thing can we defeat fascism."

Source: https://babylonbee.com/news/to-prove-cancel-culture-doesnt-exist-disney-fires-actress-who-condemned-cancel-culture

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:22 am

Isn't The Babylon Bee a conservative Christian news satire website that publishes satirical articles on religion, politics, current events, and well-known public figures. It has been referred to in the media as a Christian or evangelical version of The Onion.

Hardly a source worth actual discussion. I might as well post the Onion video of a white girl to be tried as a black man.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:33 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Isn't The Babylon Bee a conservative Christian news satire website that publishes satirical articles on religion, politics, current events, and well-known public figures. It has been referred to in the media as a Christian or evangelical version of The Onion.

Hardly a source worth actual discussion. I might as well post the Onion video of a white girl to be tried as a black man.

It is an excellent site.

https://babylonbee.com/news/uh-oh-man-t ... ren-is-bad

Schneider purchased a history book and found people like himself smack dab in the “Wrong Side of History” section next to slave owners and Nazis. “That seems a little extreme,” Schneider commented. “I mean, I guess a few hundred years separated, I can see how maybe sucking the brains out of children is a little bit wrong. But that’s not like slavery. That’s not like being a Nazi. I’m not for gassing people. I’m just for taking small children and sucking their brains out.” He thought about it some more. “Yeah, I guess that does sound... But it was okay because no one cared about them so we didn’t need to treat them as fellow humans!” He again thought about what he'd just said. “Okay, maybe I’m seeing it a little bit.”

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:37 am

This one is more on topic though:

https://babylonbee.com/news/disney-post ... and-docile

Disney Posts Job Ad Looking For Strong, Fierce Women Who Are Also Obedient, Submissive, And Docile

BURBANK, CA—Disney is eager to fill their job vacancy after firing Gina Carano from The Mandalorian after she was outed as a kind, decent person as well as a mouthy female who speaks her mind too much. Determined not to make the same mistake again, Disney is being much more specific with their job descriptions.

“We need brave, strong, and independent role models that girls can look up to!” said Disney CEO Bob Chapek. “But she’s also gotta be extremely submissive, easily controlled, and totally subservient. We can’t afford to have another woman out here speaking her mind!”

“At Disney, we tell stories of hope, courage, and rebellion against all-powerful empires, but that nonsense is all for show,” he continued. “What we actually care about is women who will regurgitate all of our politically correct talking points and approved messages.”

“I’ll watch anything made by Disney. Who cares that they praise brutal communist regimes that imprison Uighurs and cancel conservative women— I just want more Baby Yoda!” said eager fan Adam Harrington. “In fact, the more mindless puppets, the better!”

“She got what she deserved,” said one critic on Twitter. “What did she expect after using her platform to stand for what she believes in? What does she think this is? A Disney movie?!”

Disney has now updated their listing to look for a woman who's fierce, but only when commanded, smart, but not smart enough to scare the men, and preferably strong, but not strong enough to beat up the whole studio.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:44 am

No surprises where Brictoria gets his news
https://premierchristian.news/en/news/a ... t-article1
Christian satire website The Babylon Bee has been criticised for publishing a piece deemed racist and insensitive by many faith leaders.

The site ran a piece titled 'Chick-Fil-A Now Open On Sunday But Only For Black People' in reference to Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy - after the businessman shined the shoes of African-American rapper Lecrae at a recent panel discussion on racial reconciliation.
The intro read: "Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy announced yesterday that his fast-food restaurant will be ending its long-standing policy on Sunday closure, but only for black people."
After the article was picked up on by Washington Post religion reporter, Sarah Pulliam Bailey, many Christian leaders responded in horror.
Evangelist and author Beth Moore replied: "Gross. The most worn out excuse on earth is to say something completely ignorant, hateful and racist and then claim you were just joking. Racist satire is still racist."

Last edited by cyberdad on 17 Feb 2021, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:49 am

^ Hah. "Christian leaders" need to stop worrying about offending people who hate them anyway.
Another one on this Disney actress I never heard of until now:

https://babylonbee.com/news/gina-carano ... e-director

Gina Carano Rehired By Disney After She Identifies As An Abusive Male Director

BURBANK, CA—Disney has apologized to Gina Carano and rehired her after she announced today that she identifies as a problematic, abusive, toxic male director.

"I'm not a Republican actress -- I'm actually a toxic, abusive, gaslighting director of many popular shows and films over the years," Carano said. "I am finally ready to come out of the closet and live my truth."

Disney's response was immediate, as the company profusely apologized and hired her back.

"We are so sorry to Ms. Carano for firing her -- we did not realize she was actually a sexually abusive male director trapped in a woman's body," said a Disney spokesperson. "We applaud her for coming to terms with her true identity and choosing to live her brave new life as a studio executive who does problematic things to women all the time without any repercussions."

Immediately after the announcement, she was rehired and put in charge of the entire Marvel franchise.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:59 am

cyberdad wrote:

Of course not: I always post links so people can see...

That article just happened to be on the page where I was sourcing a lighthearted addition to another thread that I remember someone sending me some months back, and I thought people in this thread could do with some humour to lighten the atmosphere :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 4:03 am

Mikah wrote:
^ Hah. "Christian leaders" need to stop worrying about offending people who hate them anyway.
Another one on this Disney actress I never heard of until now:

https://babylonbee.com/news/gina-carano ... e-director

Gina Carano Rehired By Disney After She Identifies As An Abusive Male Director

BURBANK, CA—Disney has apologized to Gina Carano and rehired her after she announced today that she identifies as a problematic, abusive, toxic male director.

"I'm not a Republican actress -- I'm actually a toxic, abusive, gaslighting director of many popular shows and films over the years," Carano said. "I am finally ready to come out of the closet and live my truth."

Disney's response was immediate, as the company profusely apologized and hired her back.

"We are so sorry to Ms. Carano for firing her -- we did not realize she was actually a sexually abusive male director trapped in a woman's body," said a Disney spokesperson. "We applaud her for coming to terms with her true identity and choosing to live her brave new life as a studio executive who does problematic things to women all the time without any repercussions."

Immediately after the announcement, she was rehired and put in charge of the entire Marvel franchise.

Perhaps because they actually "try" and practice christianity....perhaps the editors of Babylon bee might do well to spend less time publishing unfunny hate/spiteful humour and pray for their souls.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 4:04 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Of course not: I always post links so people can see...

That article just happened to be on the page where I was sourcing a lighthearted addition to another thread that I remember someone sending me some months back, and I thought people in this thread could do with some humour to lighten the atmosphere :)

Oh ok....