Are you ashamed of parts of your country's history?

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 2:52 pm

Are you ashamed of certain parts or aspects of your country's past at all. I know I as a UK citizen am deeply ashamed of their military moves in the last 100 years or so. (Apart from world war 2, that was justified.)
That's why I hate it when people call it glorious, majestic, or proud. Because in my eyes it's something to be ashamed of.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Wales,UK Relationship: Single Interests: Trains AgeGroup: 40's FavouriteColor: Green Music: CyndiLauper Pets: Cats and Ducks

28 Feb 2021, 3:11 pm

I am not ashamed of my countries history but I am ashamed of my countries present.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 3:31 pm

Well, I'm from the Denmark, so the following come to mind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_slave_trade
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_West_Indies

There are other less-than-stellar events in Denmark's past, and there is an ongoing issue with Greenland - a former Danish colony - even today. But the involvement is slavery is probably the biggest stain on our historical record.

Oh, and the Vikings... but the Vikings had cool beards and cool hats...

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 4:24 pm

I don't have any shame or pride in my country's history. It wasn't me.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 4:58 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Are you ashamed of certain parts or aspects of your country's past at all. I know I as a UK citizen am deeply ashamed of their military moves in the last 100 years or so. (Apart from world war 2, that was justified.)
That's why I hate it when people call it glorious, majestic, or proud. Because in my eyes it's something to be ashamed of.

When I was a child, I was ashamed and made to feel ashamed of being half German, bc of the Holocaust.

I will never be ashamed of what happened before I was born, ever again.
I am deeply sorry, but not ashamed.

I will not take the history personally, and I emphatically reject the concept of collective guilt. 8)

Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. "Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions." I didn't say that. Honey badger.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)

And one more thing,

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many on the left pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

THERE WILL BE NO COUP IN AMERICA!

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 4:59 pm

Udinaas wrote:

Zactly. 8)

Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude. Hypnosis, psychosis. Tomarto, tomayto. "Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions." I didn't say that. Honey badger.

And one more thing,

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet." Humour is not meant to be taken seriously, yet many on the left pervert its intent.
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 5:54 pm

Of course.
And a lot of the current also.

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 9:48 pm

Of course, but more important than being ashamed is learning that history to understand its relevance to the present day. We're fortunate that so much of this history has been presented on TV over the Black History Month just now ending.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 9:56 pm

For me, regret is a better word than shame. Along with that is knowing we must do better in the present and future than our predecessors had done in the past.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 10:10 pm

I'm American and yes. Every country has its crimes and sins. I try to acknowledge these things and learn from them.

There's more to a country than the awful things it's done. I'm not responsible for what happened, I'm only responsible for learning from it and trying to not add to the damage.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν
Those in positions of power do what their power permits, while the weak have no choice but to accept it.

- Thucydides

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 10:59 pm

I agree that history should be acknowledged and learned from but I don't see how its shame if you don't consider yourself morally blameworthy. Being ashamed of history reinforces the nationalism that leads people to deny or excuse their countries atrocities. If people believe themselves to be defined by their countries, they will usually prefer bring proud to being ashamed.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 11:03 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
For me, regret is a better word than shame. Along with that is knowing we must do better in the present and future than our predecessors had done in the past.

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but most of us here have a huge 'cross to bear' already.
Many of us are simply trying to keep our head above water.

And one more thing,

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 2:22 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but most of us here have a huge 'cross to bear' already.

Well, there's no need to bear that cross if you personally have done nothing wrong. You said you were made to feel guilty because your family is part German. Well, my family is mostly German, and I'm proud of that. Sure, Germany had done terrible things in the past, but nothing that I'm responsible for. There's a lot more to German history than the Holocaust.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 3:13 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well, there's no need to bear that cross if you personally have done nothing wrong. You said you were made to feel guilty because your family is part German. Well, my family is mostly German, and I'm proud of that. Sure, Germany had done terrible things in the past, but nothing that I'm responsible for. There's a lot more to German history than the Holocaust.

Agreed.
BTW, I was referring to mental issues, anxiety, loneliness, social dissociation...

And one more thing,

Mr Reynholm
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2021, 1:50 pm

I have none. Every country on Earth has had people, groups or governments who have done terrible things. We need to learn from it and move on.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 2:52 pm

Udinaas wrote:

That's how I try to feel. But my empathy gets in the way of that sometimes.