White privilege isn't real - Jordan Peterson

Page 19 of 20 [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2021, 9:40 pm

Pepe wrote:
If I want that New Red Ferrari I need money.
Lots of it.

You are thinking of the super-rich.

I'm not. It was just an example, like I said. Let's pivot then to a more complicated example.

Think of the masses of angry far-right voters. They have lost faith that they can get what they want materially. So, instead, they do what they can to ensure others get even less, or that those "others" get treated even worse than they feel like they are.

They get a sense of superiority.

Quote:
For them, it is about power.

And what is ever not about power for small fry who resent not being big fish?

Quote:
But most bank managers wouldn't be in that group. 8)

There are racist people from all walks of life (some are more likely than others of course, but still), but even ignoring that, there's a simple question: What if it's company policy? It can't officially be, of course, but, like "hey, newbie, I wouldn't do it like that if I were you, I heard people who do it this way instead get promoted more often".

You can even assume that no one in banking, at any institutional level, is particularly racist (and they're just unscrupulous instead -- I mean... it's banking we're talking about...). They could still be the main vector of structural racism anyway. If there's an established notion that "the presence of non-white people lowers the value of a neighborhood", then it's very clear how real-estate investors can protect their assets from depreciating. So turning down certain small-time customers lets them earn greater profits from bigger fish.

I don't know if people know how or why exactly unfair credit-refusal happens at a structural level, I imagine it's something that demands thorough investigation to really pinpoint. But it happens consistently, that much is well-known and well-documented, and so investigation (and subsequent correction by regulation and/or enforcement) is needed.

Last edited by toadsnail on 24 Feb 2021, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 9:59 pm

Pepe wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
"White privilege" doesn't mean that, if you're white, your life can't be hard. What it means is that, if you're white, your skin color isn't a factor in making your life hard.

Yes, white people can still be disadvantaged in a multitude of ways, but, the fact remains, white people don't face systemic discrimination, and THAT is white privilege.

Tell that to the white South African farmers.

Whites in South Africa still have privilege.

Bending over backwards to find instances of whites being mistreated doesn't negate that fact. Let's look at how non-whites have been treated in South Africa.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 10:01 pm

They were usually treated like cattle under Apartheid.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 10:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
They were usually treated like cattle under Apartheid.

Exactly.

And, to reiterate, white privilege doesn't mean nothing bad can happen to you.

If we're going to go world-wide and cite examples of white people being mistreated, then we also have to examine the context. We also have to take into account the instances of whites being mistreated verses the instances of non-whites being mistreated.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2021, 10:25 pm

Yeah that was some extreme out-of-context cherry-picking there if we're talking about it globally.

That said, South Africa really is a complicated case. I mean... how does a country recover from that kind of (very recent) past with composure? I guess it's not impossible (Rwanda, for one, seems to be doing surprisingly well today), but it's still very hard to imagine.

For anyone interested in the subject, I thought this documentary I watched the other day was very interesting and very well-made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba3E-Ha5Efc

(If anyone's going to comment on it though, then please watch the whole thing first. Don't just comment on it based on the title.)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 10:55 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
White people are more likely to be fairly treated and black people are more likely to be unfairly treated. Why is this so hard to say? Why the insistence on using the racist term “white privilege” to describe this problem?

I've heard some fairly robust rebuttal :roll: (some here feel quite smug about their beliefs), But at the end of the day white privilege is a scientifically backed evidence based phenomena,

No amount of "what about" is going to change that....

What they proved is what was said in the first sentence. What termonolgy they choose to use to describe their findings is subjective.

The terminology is no different to the word intelligence quotient. As we know that's subjective too but its universally accepted by psychologists.

How is it subjective?

The last time I did an IQ test, I had to answer some questions.

When I was right I scored a positive point.
When I was wrong, it worked against me.

How can that be subjective?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding where you are coming from?
Are you saying the types of questions used are problematical?

The interpretation from an IQ test are subjective not the scores which are measurable/quantitative

Not the last IQ test I did.
No human was involved in the assessment.

And how are multiple-choice questions dependant on a subjective assessment?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 11:53 pm

toadsnail wrote:
Pepe wrote:
If I want that New Red Ferrari I need money.
Lots of it.

You are thinking of the super-rich.

I'm not. It was just an example, like I said. Let's pivot then to a more complicated example.

Think of the masses of angry far-right voters. They have lost faith that they can get what they want materially. So, instead, they do what they can to ensure others get even less, or that those "others" get treated even worse than they feel like they are.

They get a sense of superiority.

A rather long bow you are drawing there.
You must have super strong biceps. :mrgreen:

toadsnail wrote:
Quote:
For them, it is about power.

And what is ever not about power for small fry who resent not being big fish?

As I said. Loooooong bow you are drawing. ;)

toadsnail wrote:
Quote:
But most bank managers wouldn't be in that group. 8)

There are racist people from all walks of life (some are more likely than others of course, but still), but even ignoring that, there's a simple question: What if it's company policy? It can't officially be, of course, but, like "hey, newbie, I wouldn't do it like that if I were you, I heard people who do it this way instead get promoted more often".

"Company policy" in these days of political correctness on steroids?
Maybe things are different where you are, but one of the 4 biggest banks in Australia has folded under the woke yoke of political correctness and will now refuse to give loans out to any company connected with the coal industry.

The pendulum has turned, and it is the weak woke who have inherited the earth.
This is why I say things have changed and that while there may be are pockets of white privilege, it is not ubiquitous.

Get on the wrong side of the SJWs and your profit bottom line may suffer big time.
Well, that is what is happening here in Australia.

toadsnail wrote:
You can even assume that no one in banking, at any institutional level, is particularly racist (and they're just unscrupulous instead -- I mean... it's banking we're talking about...).

I have made this point several times.
I consider big business to be greedy, corrupt and self-serving.
Why on earth would they want to diminish their profit margins?

toadsnail wrote:
They could still be the main vector of structural racism anyway.

As I said, 'Profits' and bonuses above all else.

toadsnail wrote:
If there's an established notion that "the presence of non-white people lowers the value of a neighborhood", then it's very clear how real-estate investors can protect their assets from depreciating. So turning down certain small-time customers lets them earn greater profits from bigger fish.

Interesting point, but I think you are overthinking it.
The banks need customers.
All they care about is gaining clients.

Also, if a person of colour is so rich they can hobnob with mansion dwellers, I think the bank manager's might take that into consideration.
Think 'Tiger Woods'.

toadsnail wrote:
I don't know if people know how or why exactly unfair credit-refusal happens at a structural level, I imagine it's something that demands thorough investigation to really pinpoint. But it happens consistently, that much is well-known and well-documented, and so investigation (and subsequent correction by regulation and/or enforcement) is needed.

Sorry, your logic doesn't cut the mustard add up, in my book.
Not here in Australia, at least. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 12:01 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Pepe wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
"White privilege" doesn't mean that, if you're white, your life can't be hard. What it means is that, if you're white, your skin color isn't a factor in making your life hard.

Yes, white people can still be disadvantaged in a multitude of ways, but, the fact remains, white people don't face systemic discrimination, and THAT is white privilege.

Tell that to the white South African farmers.

Whites in South Africa still have privilege.

Privileges that entail having their land taken away from them and being assaulted and murdered in their beds?
There was a lot said in the news, here in Australia, about that not that long ago.

Bending over backwards to find instances of whites being mistreated doesn't negate that fact. Let's look at how non-whites have been treated in South Africa.[/quote]

You miss my point.
If there are exceptions to the binary rule, that white privilege is across the board universally, it invalidates your binary.
Not rocket surgery.

I don't understand why you lefties have this obsession with binaries?

Anyway, it has been demonstrably annulled. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 12:28 am

Pepe wrote:
Privileges that entail having their land taken away from them and being assaulted and murdered in their beds?
There was a lot said in the news, here in Australia, about that not that long ago.

I think you will find Afrikaner groups like "Afriforum" are spreading misinformation about farm attacks
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41807642

There is no evidence whites are being specifically targeted because of their race. Try diversifying your news sources rather than relying on Andrew Bolt.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2021, 12:34 am

Pepe wrote:
As I said. Loooooong bow you are drawing. ;)

I'm actually surprised you're contesting this. Really wasn't expecting it. I thought it was self-evident.

If you need a clear example, then just take a quick look at these lightweight tidbits about our current dear leader (I mean, just look at his freaking face, for crying out loud...):

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/29/brazil- ... uotes.html

Those aren't rumors or "stuff people say he said" or anything, those are things he said publicly. It was public knowledge all along. If you asked his supporters, they would say "oh but he didn't mean it", or "he just has a strange sense of humor, that's all".

Do you think people voted for him because they actually expected anything good to come out of it? They'll rationalize that they did, but... come on. There's a whole wave of people going "yeahh we're going to put [some person / social group] in their place, better watch out, punks!" It was the whole pitch all along.

Quote:
"Company policy" in these days of political correctness on steroids?
Maybe things are different where you are, but one of the 4 biggest banks in Australia has folded under the woke yoke of political correctness and will now refuse to give loans out to any company connected with the coal industry.

That's PR. If PR concerns really outweigh the costs of ignoring them and those concerns demand internal change, then things change. But if they don't, then things don't change.

Quote:
The pendulum has turned, and it is the weak woke who have inherited the earth.
This is why I say things have changed and that while there may be are pockets of white privilege, it is not ubiquitous.

Everything you say really seems to reinforce the impression that you really don't grasp the fact that you can't just generalize to the US what you know from Australia. The two countries have incredibly different histories.

Quote:
I have made this point several times.
I consider big business to be greedy, corrupt and self-serving.
Why on earth would they want to diminish their profit margins?

Why do you assume they would be diminishing profit margins? I've said it: they're protecting valuable assets from depreciating. Real-estate speculation is HUGE business. Mortgages? Probably not so much in comparison.

Quote:
Interesting point, but I think you are overthinking it.

Do you actually think the finance sector is simple and straightforward? It is the most convoluted thing in the world.

Quote:
The banks need customers.
All they care about is gaining clients.

No, all they care about is making money [from their clients, presumably, but... not exactly]. Clients aren't all equal.

Quote:
Also, if a person of colour is so rich they can hobnob with mansion dwellers, I think the bank manager's might take that into consideration.
Think 'Tiger Woods'.

He'll be preapproved for any and everything in the world. But you know we're not talking about Tiger Woods.

Pepe wrote:
Sorry, your logic doesn't cut the mustard add up, in my book.
Not here in Australia, at least. 8)

Well, duh. I'm not talking about Australia. As far as I know that whole pattern with mortgages and stuff is not even a thing in Brazil either. But I thought it was clear we were talking about the US.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I think you will find Afrikaner groups like "Afriforum" are spreading misinformation about farm attacks
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41807642

There is no evidence whites are being specifically targeted because of their race. Try diversifying your news sources rather than relying on Andrew Bolt.

Quote:
On Tuesday, South Africa’s governing African National Congress (ANC) party withdrew “for further consideration” a bill that would have authorized uncompensated land confiscations.

"Withdrew for further consideration."
Now that doesn't sound like a country where the white farmers have white privilege.
There is a good chance the land will be confiscated at some point in time.

"The sword of Damocles" sort of thing. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:35 am

toadsnail wrote:
Quote:
I'm actually surprised you're contesting this. Really wasn't expecting it. I thought it was self-evident.

I see you are into psychological arm-wrestling. 8)
I reject your presumptuous implied assertion that you have a 'lay down misere'. :mrgreen:

What you have presented is mere supposition.
Nothing more. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:41 am

Pepe wrote:
"Withdrew for further consideration."
Now that doesn't sound like a country where the white farmers have white privilege.
There is a good chance the land will be confiscated at some point in time.

"The sword of Damocles" sort of thing. 8)

Don't get me wrong, the land grab threatened by the ANC isn't really ethical, but this is being stirred by opportunistic "Robert Mugabe type" politicians who make millions while their people starve. Instead of leadership they simply blame the white farmers to take attention away from their incompetent and corrupt government.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2021, 10:12 am

Pepe wrote:
toadsnail wrote:

I see you are into psychological arm-wrestling. 8)
I reject your presumptuous implied assertion that you have a 'lay down misere'. :mrgreen:

What you have presented is mere supposition.
Nothing more. 8)

I was stating a fact: I didn't expect you would contest the example. Otherwise I would probably have used a different one. I was actually surprised that it's not self-evident for you. I'm not saying there's no reason why it is for me but not for you. Hence my subsequent explanation of why it is for me. The explanation may not automatically make it [the assumption that far-right voters seek primarily to demote others] self-evident to you, but I think it does make it abundantly clear why it seems self-evident to me, no strong biceps required. You may disagree with me on this, but that doesn't matter. It just means the example I chose wasn't as effective as I thought it would be.

Isn't this all kinda besides the point anyway? You insist that "my logic doesn't cut the mustard add up". I was presenting possible mechanisms that could be behind the unfair credit phenomenon. The argument about far-right voters was only part of the argument about how anyone can potentially be racist (potentially acting against their own immediate economic interests), which in turn was only a small part of the broader argument. The main conclusion is still this:

toadsnail wrote:

...which you seem hellbent on denying, just because the possible mechanisms presented to you haven't been proved, and you have some kind of preconceived idea that doesn't jibe with documented phenomena. The whole point is that it warrants investigation.

Or... maybe you don't actually have that preconceived idea and you're just testing me. In that case, I have better things to do.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 2:11 pm

Pepe wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
toadsnail wrote:
It looks like the term "white privilege" really is mainly used with that connotation of "white people are born evil" then?

Please don't buy into that nonsense perpetrated mostly by whining right wingers.

Please tone down your left-wing sanctimony. :mrgreen:

Well what left winger ever says white people are born evil?

Collective guilt unequivocally implies 'evil', I would have thought. 8)

Collective guilt is not the same as evil

If the white Amerikans have collective guilt for the sins of their forefathers/foremothers for having had slaves, and treating people like that is evil, then the son/daughter inherits the evil.

If the German people have collective guilt for what happened during the Holocaust, an evil deed, then the offspring have inherited this evil also.

There was a time when the Jews were seen as having collective guilt for the crucifixion of JC.
The ignorant ill-informed considered the Jews had inherited this evil and the Jews were treated badly.

All man/womankind have the collective guilt of original sin and were cast out of the garden of Eden as a punishment.

The fallacious concept:
"The sins of the father are inherited by the son."

If your forefathers engaged in slavery, you are evil.
If your forefathers engaged in genocide, you are evil.
If your forefather/mother engage in jiggy-jiggy, you are evil. [disingenuous]
The other example doesn't apply but 'connect the dots' yourself of the other three two. 8)

You don’t seem to grasp that even though slavery is a thing of the past, systemic racism in the USA is not. Not in policing/prisons, healthcare, education, the job market, social scene etc etc etc - the evil is still VERY MUCH alive and well. It’s not guilt for ancestral evils, it’s evil still being perpetuated.

-The problem is not as ubiquitous as it used to be.
-Collective guilt is a logical nonsense.
-Not all Caucasians have 'white privilege'.
-You are being 'binary' and 'You are boxing at shadows.'

Let us agree to disagree. 8)

Just because the problem isn't quite as blatant as slavery & lynchings used to be doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Slavery may have ended, but the exploitation of black American labour just shifted to within prison walls. Criminalize a bunch of stuff, selectively arrest black/non-white people for it, put them to work making prison made goods. Pretty good racket. Then there's all the rest of the legalized discrimination in every aspect of American society - ever heard of "red lining," in the mortgage industry? Black people couldn't be approved for mortgages in white neighbhourhoods for many decades. etc. This is not ancient history and everyone's on an even playing field today. Not even close. Hence the BLM Human Rights protests of 2020.

It's not collective ancestral guilt. It's collective guilt for continuing to perpetuate systemic racism. In the employment market, academia, judicial system, healthcare, society in general.. etc.

100% of white presenting caucasians have white privilege. Indian people (of India), who are technically caucasian by biological classification, may not have "white privilege," if their skin colour is pigmented too darkly - but other than that, yes, 100% of white appearing people have white privilege whether they choose to acknowledge it or not.

I'm not binary, thanks. :roll: Also not boxing at shadows, whatever the F you mean by that.

There is no agreeing to disagree here. I am correct, and you are incorrect. Full stop. I acknowledge that we disagree, but there is no agreement & will not be any that your position is valid or correct.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 2:25 pm

"If EvEn OnE wHiTe pErSoN On ThE EnTiRe PlAnEt sUfFeR EvEn tHe SlIgHtEsT InCoNvEnIeNcE, tHaT PROOVES wHiTe PrIvIlEgE DoEnSnT eXiSt!! !"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

White privilege is already being so privileged that you think "privilege" makes life "perfect", and devoid of all inconvenience and suffering.

Electricity is a privilege. Food is a privilege. Safety is a privilege. But seeing those as privileges makes people feel uncomfortable, cos they prefer to mistakenly think these things are rights. Too many people don't even understand how rights work, let alone being able to differentiate between rights and privileges.

@ Pepe - You're as funny as ever. Whining about all-or-nothing thinking, but acting like "white privilege" either applies equally everywhere, or doesn't exist at all - as opposed to the reality that it is not a hard and fast rule, but rather a factor that can affect things in various situations. Pointing out that white privilege can't exist in america cos white people were treated poorly in south africa, seems to fail to notice that america is not africa. I don't know if you know that, but america and africa are different places. It would be like saying kangaroos don't exist cos you never see them in siberia.

It's weird how nuance either does or doesn't matter to you, depending on the situation. When it comes to things like "nazis" or "fascism", you're all jive and philosophical, "what IS fascism anyways... words are just words... nothing is knowable for certain..." - but then when you're trying to defend your narrative, suddenly reality goes all rigid, snaps hard into place, and things just are the way you say they are, because you say they are, because you say they are, because you say they are... 8)

HoNkA hOnKa! :wink: