Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 10:51 am

When the allied (British/French/Americans) won WW1, and made European countries liberal democracies, it was all in vain.

Then the German population CHOSE dictatorship and evilness again. Then then the allied won WW2 and made European countries liberal democracies once again, it too was all in vain.

The fact is, that AFD in Germany is rising in popularity amongst the common german population. Elsewhere in other european countries, other similar fascist-minded parties are very popular. Take a look at Poland's goverment, or the Hungarian government.

People want evil. They wish for evil. They love evil.

That's why good people can never win in this world, because good people are by far outnumbered 1-10. For every good human individual, there are at least 10 evil humans who like what Hitler, Franco, Mussolini, Stalin, Duda, Duterte, Xinping, Trump did (or still do).

People like to watch other humans be tortured. They love when someone who is innocent of any crime and who wish for the best of the weak, is suffering.

People hate the weak, the disabled and the sick/poor. This is why we have capitalism, because most people don't like welfare. Most people despise of the thought of welfare.

The only reason many European countries have welfare states, is not because the people chose it. It is actually a miracle, only possible because of a political elite who is somewhat still in power despite the fact that the majority of the population hate the government.

If the common people had as much power as they'd like, Putin would become the ruler of not only Russia, but the European Union as well, and Trump would be dictator of the U.S.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 11:35 am

I have 2 thoughts;
1. I get thinking this way emotionally.
2. I don't know how most of these points can be supported with concrete documentation.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 2:56 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
I have 2 thoughts;
1. I get thinking this way emotionally.
2. I don't know how most of these points can be supported with concrete documentation.

Exactly!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 3:57 pm

I don't think you understand why the German people had to go to war against the allies. The sanctions after WW1 were hurting the lives of the ordinary German people and the only way they could do anything about it was to go to war and take on the whole of Europe.

Sanctions are the modern form of a seige. People starve in seiges.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 3:59 pm

As much as you decry tyranny here, what you're saying is kind of overtly anti-democratic. It's oversimplistic and misanthropic. Why let the masses choose their leaders if they're so darn evil? Better to let an 'enlightened despot' rule over the unwashed, wicked peasants?

The rising tide of the far right in Europe and elsewhere has been a long time coming. The political pendulum sways back and forth through history. Alternative für Deutschland will never be the majority party in Germany. The stranglehold of the right on Eastern European politics is a reaction against the nominally leftist rule of the Soviets. Putin didn't get elected because a majority of Russians are straight up evil.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 3:59 pm

The difference: is that the "Germans" were the NAZIS. That's another whole ball of wax.....

If we didn't get rid of the Nazis, we'd be in pretty sad shape.....

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The difference: is that the "Germans" were the NAZIS. That's another whole ball of wax.....

If we didn't get rid of the Nazis, we'd be in pretty sad shape.....

My Dad always said that when Tony Blair took the UK into the EU (Without the UK's people being allowed a vote on the specific decision, so Tony Blair assumed that if he got elected it was permission to go forward and join, while the people who voted for his party assumed that they would be given a vote specifically to see if we should join or not, hence why many UK people thought they had been decieved), that the Germans got what they wanted. A single united Europe with Germany having control, and the way it turned out, he was right. People used to say "Why did I bother to fight in the last world war when we have given them the UK without a fight?"

The difference between the Nazis and the Germans? It is not as easy as that. That is like saying "What is the difference between the Americans and the Liberals or the Conservatives?" (Or whatever other politicalparties one may have).

To say all Nazis were evil is like saying all in the Labour Party, or the Conservative Party are evil if one lived in the UK.
I say this because it is only a small step between a democratically elected dictatorship and a democracy, and this small step of difference is to limit free speech so one is not able to give an opposing view.

Put this scinario into action here and I am not going to say that this will happen but it is possible. Lets take a minority group. We can make a law that no one is allowed to criticize anyone from the minority group and that those from this group have to be given the priority of standing for an election if several people stand for election in a party.
Then gradually, the minority group take over the political parties and they then can say what they like and do what they like if they come into power, and no one is allowed to stop them because no one is allowed the freedom of speech to oppose their views. This then has the potential to have a democratically elected crazy dictator end up in power that makes Hitler look tame in comparison.

(I am not pcking on any minority group. I am saying how easy a militant minority group can use the advantages of the position if they were not allowed to be opposed, as the foundations to make a democracy work ensure that everyone has the right to be given free speech regardless of their views, and it relies on the overall goodness of humanity to vote against the ones who have extreme views).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:42 pm

To say "not all Nazis are evil" is like saying "not all murderers are violent".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:43 pm

There were some Nazis who were "eviler" than others, that's true-----but anybody who would voluntarily join the Nazi Party had a screw loose somewhere.....and probably somebody you wouldn't want to know.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:46 pm

Tony Blair definitely didn't take Britain into the EU. That was Edward Heath back in 1972/3. There was a rather belated referendum on it in 1975, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:50 pm

Back in the 1970s, it was called the "Common Market."

NightMuse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:54 pm

This sort of thinking is so typical of the way kids are educated these days. It makes me glad I grew up in an era where people were proud and grateful to be Americans.

I try to avoid conversations in this particular forum because I don't want to get into any major arguments, but I have to say something about this attitude of the OP. It is disgusting. I've had family fight in WW1 and WW2, and I refuse to let their sacrifices be made in vain. If you don't want to defend America and her allies, I'm sure North Korea or China would be happy to have you move there.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 5:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
To say "not all Nazis are evil" is like saying "not all murderers are violent".

This also is true as some murderers have used means to murder without violence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 5:04 pm

I wish somebody, these days, would deign to spend one day living under the Nazis.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 5:06 pm

The initial post seems very defeatist in attitude.

Most nations have dubious bits of history, but good bits as well. The important bit is to learn the lessons from both.

I'm a Brit, our ruling classes have a long history of being cruel to people, including our own working classes. Everything's relative, though, and they were still better than more totalitarian regimes such as Nazi Germany or Stalin's Russia. And we've managed some very good things, often in spite of our own leadership.

I agree western politics has shifted to the right at the moment, but in the long run extreme right wing views are contradictory and unsustainable, as indeed are the equivalents on the extreme left. As things stand at the moment, I see my role as trying to shift things back towards realism, compromise, and constructive consensus.

Rather than giving up and having a flounce. :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 5:20 pm

One needs the extremes of both sides because if one makes rules that stop anyone from the far left or the far right from being allowed to vote or be allowed to stand, then we are left with communism.