Why does the United States not have mandated paid maternity

Page 6 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 3:29 pm

Incidentally...you’ve bordered on straw manning here, and you’re not even pretending to be reasonable with your most recent post. My response to it was more than it deserved. Discussions are much better when the focus is on what is ACTUALLY being said.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:58 am

AngelRho wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
your employer NEVER WANTED to offer parental leave and only allows it because of a government mandate and not because of genuine interest and concern for your well-being and the well-being of your children/family
All the more reason for it to be required by law.
You find it acceptable for a government control all of its population through coercion and force?
The government does that anyway. If you break their laws they can use violence against you or legally kidnap you. Show me the state that doesn't use the threat of violence to control people.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 11:44 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
[Same sh-t, different day. And the sad part is so many people are extremely eager to lap it up.

Americans would gladly take free stuff.

However, it's not being offered.

For example, even a FOX news poll shows 72% of Americans favor a government plan health care.

:lol:

More brainwashing if you think government run single payer universal healthcare is "free stuff."

It's not free. We pay for every penny of it via taxes. We simply pay less in taxes to pay for this stuff collectively than we would have to pay out of pocket or via private insurance. Spreading the cost over every citizen and having one Province wide system costs less than having a hodge podge of insurance providers and private hospitals not taking full advantage of the economies of scale of a single pooled system.

Americans have been convinced that if they get any value in return for their taxes that they're "leeching free stuff of the government," :roll: who is supposed to be funnelling all of their tax dollars to their friends' defence contractor businesses for Billion Dollar fireworks shows scorching sand into glass in countries Americans can't even find on a map.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 3:54 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
[Same sh-t, different day. And the sad part is so many people are extremely eager to lap it up.

For example, even a FOX news poll shows 72% of Americans favor a government plan health care.

More brainwashing if you think government run single payer universal healthcare is "free stuff."

It's not free. We pay for every penny of it via taxes. We simply pay less in taxes to pay for this stuff collectively than we would have to pay out of pocket or via private insurance. Spreading the cost over every citizen and having one Province wide system costs less than having a hodge podge of insurance providers and private hospitals not taking full advantage of the economies of scale of a single pooled system.

Americans have been convinced that if they get any value in return for their taxes that they're "leeching free stuff of the government," :roll: who is supposed to be funnelling all of their tax dollars to their friends' defence contractor businesses for Billion Dollar fireworks shows scorching sand into glass in countries Americans can't even find on a map.

That’s because Americans do not get equal value in return. We pay taxes. Always have. And the one time we looked for help when we were down on our luck, we were told that we were married and white. So I guess if we got divorced and returned in blackface maybe they could help us? When you need welfare in the USA, those not part of a victim class need not apply.

Ok, so if you get your value back in services while paying taxes, why bother paying taxes? Why not just set the money aside into an emergency fund or investment that you can control and draw from to pay medical expenses up front? There’s no need to tax people for that. I understand what you’re saying about throwing everyone’s money into a pool so that people who can’t afford care can have it. What I’m saying is that in the USA it never works that way. Our welfare system is set up in a way that taxes everyone but only favors the underclass. If white people and lower middle class people are paying into a system they can’t possibly benefit from, why bother paying into it? We could just save the money and find a better use for it.

And don’t knock those fireworks. That glass makes fine paperweights.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:33 pm

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

That’s because Americans do not get equal value in return. We pay taxes. Always have. And the one time we looked for help when we were down on our luck, we were told that we were married and white. So I guess if we got divorced and returned in blackface maybe they could help us? When you need welfare in the USA, those not part of a victim class need not apply.

Here's the thing. State mandated parental leave is also for white people. There's no need to be a part of some imaginary victin class. I'm white and I've taken it.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 10:37 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Here's the thing. State mandated parental leave is also for white people. There's no need to be a part of some imaginary victin class. I'm white and I've taken it.

That’s not how things work in the United States.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 12:07 pm

^^^

It Is Rather Ironic
That Ya Consider
Yourself Part of A
'White Victim Class'...

It Shoots A Hole in Everything
You Are Arguing Here Hurt Because

You Didn't Get 'the Benefits' And Someone Else Did...

That's The Way It Always Is in SCaRCiTY;

There's Always Someone to

Put Down to Lift

One up to

Some

Imaginary

Notch In Life,

When We aRe aLL God

SaMe Water Ocean Wave

As Just A Metaphor of Course

That Child You Believe

Shouldn't

Be Afforded

A Mother When She

Works From All Money Taxed

Is All Our Child Always Yet Only

The Way It Was In 'the Village' Before

Living in Real Sin; The Sin of Separation From all that is God;

Yes, Nature Out of Balance (Ours) When The Village No

Longer Raises the Child Together It Fails

First With The Child

And What

We Are

Sadly Witnessing 'Here'...

The DiSEaSE Here Not One

You Own Alone It is the DiSEaSE

Of An Entire Species Living WHeRE And How NOT Evolved in Balance With the Rest of Nature...

Repeat The Village Raises the Child or the Society of Social Animals Eventually Falls and Fails

It's

Falling

It's Falling

And If 'IT' Doesn't

Rise in Balance With Nature the 'Wicked Witch

Of the West' Melts The Rest of the Way Down...

Humans Are Evolved to Forage And Cooperate

In Matriarchal Leaning Small Villages From Around
150 to 200 For Both Survive And Thrive; So Why Are

Women In Charge When Balance Comes; They Are
The Ones Who Nurture Greatest And Have Natural Ability to Cooperate Most;

What Do Males Do Who Are Smart; They Seek The Attention of (Create Some Art)

(Go Out And Complete A Hunt And Bring Back A Substantial Reward to Eat)

'Their Masters' and

LiVE iN Balance...

Trump Was And
Is A Symbol
oF ALL The DiSEasE

Of Toxic Patriarchy And
The Pandemic It has Become on this Earth...

i Didn't Study Business (Only Enough to Become
Financially Independent at 47) i Studied Humans And BeCoME Expert at Love...

You Are Attempting to Buy And Sell Humanity Here That WILL NEVER WORK

well at least....

Human
Capital
Baby Your

Values Are in
Reverse IT SEEMS of What
Is Most Valuable About Humanity...

The Naked Parts Stronger ToGeTHeR;

Not the PartS Veiled In Tradition oF IGnorance

And Separated With And By CuLTuRaL Tools...

Other Than That This Is Really Just Common

Sense/Feel For A Human Being to 'See' it Seems to me...

Unless in Some Ways Their Humanity Has Been Stolen Away...

It Does Happen

A Whole Lot 'These Days'...

'THeir' Real Humanity of God Nature in Balance...

There is No Need To Make Life A 9 Dimensional

Chess Game Unless You Are Like Me and Just Doing it for Fun

When There Is Nothing to Need At All When One is Naked And Complete

Yes of Course, Again, This Is Reality, Almost Impossible to Achieve Unless

Financially

Independent

In Rome As is...

No 'Need' to Lie About The 'Other World' Either...

So The Story Goes; Your Part Real As Well Now;

Best You Can And Will Do As At Best We All Do...

Yes, i Have A Pretty Good Memory; i Remember

What the other World is like Vaguely.... (A REAL WaKinG NiGHTMARE)

Have A Nice Day; i 'See' How Folks Struggle Every Day From 'This Ivory Tower'...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 5:45 pm

aghogday wrote:
^^^

[align=center]It Is Rather Ironic
That Ya Consider
Yourself Part of A
'White Victim Class'...

It Shoots A Hole in Everything
You Are Arguing Here Hurt Because

You Didn't Get 'the Benefits' And Someone Else Did...

Not ironic at all. I don’t imagine myself to be part of a class of victims. Never did. And I certainly don’t envy people whose circumstances dictate they remain dependent on the state. But my family were victims of racism on that particular day. We’re way past all that, and I’m not wasting my life being bitter about it. All I’m saying is there are still two waiting rooms (older southern people understand what that means), and if we really want to get rid of systemic racism, then what happened to us has to stop.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 7:48 pm

^

It's Not Likely You Had
to Drink Out Of A Separate

Water Fountain; Not Be Allowed

Downstairs At The Theater;

And As 'Early' As The 80's

Be in the Military And

Warned Not To

Go to the

North Part of the

County After Dark if

You Are African American

And Potentially Never Return...

Yes i'm Old Enough to Have Seen Racism...

What You Experienced Was the Law; Not Racism;

On That Particular Day, It Did Not Benefit You as a 'White' Married

Couple; 'Victim Class' Is Just A Metaphor For Folks Who Imagine They

Are Experiencing

So Called 'White

Racism'...

in

this

Case at Least...

Now Don't Get Me Wrong

If You Were Young at A Dance Hall
These Days The Sway Alternately Might Go
to A Young African American Man by Choice... That Happens

Too Yet That is 'Natural Selection', Not 'Systematic Racism'...

And A Pretty Good Source of 'The Fear Of the White Man' At the

Start of 'The Slavery Expedition'; Let's Face It The Entire Country is Turning 'Brown'...

Now The Way Most of the Rest of the World Has Always Been; It's Just 'A Bubble of
Imagination' Here That

the 'World is White'...

And On Top of that

It's only Skin Deep;

We All Share Similar
Genetics And Dark Pigment
Is A Dominate Trait That's Gonna Help
Take The World Back Soon Closer to Where it
Originated From 'Black Adam And Eve As Such'

And Other Furrier Ancestors Like Me Now Too With
Just One Nigerian Ancestor Starting in the 1800's; Many
Before That And By The Way the Nigerian Ancestor Comes
from the Cajun' Louisiana Side of my Family to the Chagrin of Those Very Racist
Relatives Who have who Attempted to Deny the '23andme Test' Such Ignorance

There is in 'the South'...

Anyway People Were Always
Surprised At How Dark i Tan
With my 2nd And 3rd Generation Removed Green
to Blue Irish Eyes And Blonde German Hair That Does Belie
My South Asian Ancestors From the 1800's And Before too...

If You haven't Taken the Test You may End Up Somewhat Surprised too...

Hehe, i Literally Don't Have a 'Racist Imaginary Bone' in my Body With SMiLes..;)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 3:24 am

AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Ok, so if you get your value back in services while paying taxes, why bother paying taxes? Why not just set the money aside into an emergency fund or investment that you can control and draw from to pay medical expenses up front? There’s no need to tax people for that. I understand what you’re saying about throwing everyone’s money into a pool so that people who can’t afford care can have it. What I’m saying is that in the USA it never works that way. Our welfare system is set up in a way that taxes everyone but only favors the underclass. If white people and lower middle class people are paying into a system they can’t possibly benefit from, why bother paying into it? We could just save the money and find a better use for it.

1. You explained it to yourself. That’s how group pooled insurance works. Everyone is covered in the event of an emergency vs someone getting stuck with a six figure bill they can’t afford simply because they had the misfortune to have a six figure problem. Collectively, we as Canadians prefer that all of our people are taken care of.

2. I’ve never heard of race being a qualifier for any kind of benefits or social assistance in the USA. Wtf?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 6:01 am

goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

1. You explained it to yourself. That’s how group pooled insurance works. Everyone is covered in the event of an emergency vs someone getting stuck with a six figure bill they can’t afford simply because they had the misfortune to have a six figure problem. Collectively, we as Canadians prefer that all of our people are taken care of.

2. I’ve never heard of race being a qualifier for any kind of benefits or social assistance in the USA. Wtf?

Welfare/financial assistance is based on income level, not race. I'm white and I'm on medicaid because I'm poor.

It just so happens that certain demographics tend to fall into lower income brackets. The idea that "bad" minorities are hogging all the government benefits to the detriment of "good" white people is another lie the right likes to push.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 9:43 am

Sadly It Seems to Be Part and Parcel
Of Human Nature There are Those Who
LiVE iN SCaRCiTiES Always Looking For a Scape

Goat

to Bring Down

A Bit Lower to Feel

Higher in Someway

Seen the Hypocrisy in

So Many Ways Feed the

Poor in Church Yet

Complain

About

Giving the Able Looking Bodied
'Homeless Jesus' on the Street With
Difficulties Within We Can't See A Few
Dollars Instead of Demanding That He

Buy A New Pair of Sandals On His Own Dime;

Of Course Many of the Same Folks in Church

Are Missing Something of A Home Life of Soul

In Terms of Cognitive Empathy And Understanding

Just How Different Life Will Be Within For Folks As Opposed
to What They See on the Exterior And When A Society No

Longer Takes Care of Mothers And Children Those Now Who
Love And Are Being Nurtured For this Empathy And Overall

Love Most Yes Then Love Fails And So Do Social Animals too

As This is precisely What We Witnessed In The Tenure of Trump
And So Many Flavors of Folks Who Supported Despicable Heartless
Leading With No Real Soul of Cognitive Empathy for Others Less Fortunate in Life...

A Dark Way of
Life Indeed Yet

The Reality of A Social
Animal Living Out of Balance
Consuming In Taking More Than
Giving And Hoarding More Than Sharing

Not With Just Each Other Yet All the Resources of Breathing Nature now

Do i Have An Answer For It No As Nature Has Already Provided Consequences

in Pandemic Styles of Stronger Hurricanes And More Deadly Wildfires too This Is Life

LiVE iN

Balance
Or Pay the
Piper The Real
God Mother Nature
BacK iN All the Pounds
of Flesh and Human Misery
And Suffering As We Bring the
Same Out of Balance With the Rest
of Nature Now Zombie Apocalypse it is
As Nature's Face i Metaphor Real God Us too We Over-Consume...

And It's Worth Noting Canada Works better for Welfare For All And A Free
Market As It's Population is Relatively Small 37 Million Smaller Than the State
of California Which Provides More Potential For Cohesive Social Bonds and Binds

Whereas Ya Get Much Bigger than that and Ya Just Get So Much More Conflict in
Many Ways And True The Trade-Off For Living in Canada is Living Basically In a Freezer

Most Months of the Year If You Even Wanna Connect to Nature Out of a Human Zoo Indoors..

As In Everything Life There are Pluses and Minuses Yet Taking Care of Mothers And Children IS MUST

There is no
Real Logic
In Not Doing this
For Anyone Who Has
A Clue What Human
Nature Really Means: (Social Cooperating Love)

Social Cooperating Love Is The Only Reason Humans Still Exist Now....

And That's Science There is No Question About it Same Applies to a Wolf Pack....

Or

'Sheep'....

The Good Shepherd
Is the Breast Of Love
What it Means to even
Be Mammal Feeding Love

The Village Raises the Child or Not to be 'i Am Love'...

If Not The Village Fails In Increments of Misery and Suffering More...

Of Course If We Choose 'NOT TO' We Eventually Fail in All 'Trump Meme'

Ways of
Even
Loving
BreathinG...NoW

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 4:37 pm

aghogday wrote:
^

[align=center]It's Not Likely You Had

Be in the Military And

Warned Not To

Go to the

North Part of the

County After Dark if

You Are African American

No, this much is true.

But being denied housing assistance? We became homeless because we were white. We had to figure out how to keep ourselves and our two children safe. A government program could have helped us, but they turned us away and put us at risk because of our skin color.

We choose not to dwell on that part of our lives. We don't blame black people as a whole. We don't begrudge others help when they need it regardless of skin color. But at the same time, don't buy into the lie that discriminatory practices don't target and marginalize white people. It does happen, and we know this firsthand.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 8:31 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Welfare/financial assistance is based on income level, not race. I'm white and I'm on medicaid because I'm poor.

It just so happens that certain demographics tend to fall into lower income brackets. The idea that "bad" minorities are hogging all the government benefits to the detriment of "good" white people is another lie the right likes to push.

It wasn’t Medicaid. In our case, we met all the qualifications for the program we applied for. There was never any mention anywhere that someone had to be of a certain race to be approved. I’m pretty sure what happened was technically illegal. IIRC a year or so later some of the people overseeing that program in our region was arrested for mismanaging funds, something unrelated to what we applied for, but still, karma and all that. At this point, it’s all water under the bridge, anyway, but we have been witness to some dirty things when it came to needing assistance.

I don’t mean to dwell on the negatives. At one point WIC was all that was keeping us alive. As annoying as the health department could be, without them I’d never have gotten shots for my kids for school and daycare. I’m not ignoring civil rights problems in the past. I’m just saying you shouldn’t fool yourself into thinking the same fundamental things don’t happen to white people.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 9:43 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

You should move down here. No...wait...move somewhere, like, say, the Mississippi Delta, like Clarksdale, Greenville, Indianola, or Yazoo City. Actually, saying Yazoo City is the Delta is like saying Long Island is NYC. Or Belzoni. Do all your socializing at blues clubs, juke joints, and African American churches. I’ve done it all, but my first gigs were teaching in disadvantaged school systems. It doesn’t hold much culture shock for me, and I’ve met some really cool people. But I also know where not to be seen after dark. It is a completely different world unlike anything you’d ever experience in Canada. Actually...it’s like hanging out in the bad parts of Montreal and you don’t speak French. From what I’ve seen, people in Quebec and the indigenous people of Canada are treated to a far lower standard than others in Canada. And it still doesn’t even come close to the racial difficulties we have here.

But there are significant segments of the population that hold white people in contempt, and there won’t be any changing their minds. Federal funds for various programs in distressed areas trickle down through community organizers, social workers, and so on at the local level, typically non-profits or local agencies. Money gets disbursed from there. So while LEGALLY discrimination against whites doesn’t happen and never gets reported, in actual practice these programs are managed however these agencies want. In our case, it was a local arm of the United States Department of Agriculture. In a region like the Delta, these groups end up managing programs for black people, by black people, and approval for programs and services end up happening at their discretion. If you’re not from here and haven’t seen it or experienced it for yourself, you’d never believe it. It doesn’t exactly make the news. When they arrested those women for mismanaging money, it barely made a paragraph on the back page of the newspaper. It’s not unheard of among many of us who live here the level of corruption that happens. One of our local politicians, Mike Espy, was investigated extensively for taking bribes. He ended up being acquitted, but the people he was taking bribes from ended up being indicted and found guilty. That incident cost him his job at the USDA and probably even killed his political career.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2021, 1:58 am

AngelRho wrote:
aghogday wrote:
^

It's Not Likely You Had

Be in the Military And

Warned Not To

Go to the

North Part of the

County After Dark if

You Are African American

No, this much is true.

But being denied housing assistance? We became homeless because we were white. We had to figure out how to keep ourselves and our two children safe. A government program could have helped us, but they turned us away and put us at risk because of our skin color.

We choose not to dwell on that part of our lives. We don't blame black people as a whole. We don't begrudge others help when they need it regardless of skin color. But at the same time, don't buy into the lie that discriminatory practices don't target and marginalize white people. It does happen, and we know this firsthand.

You'll find folks Doing Illegal Things Now And Then as You Relate Someone Doing You

Wrong; Yet This is Very Rare Indeed And Not even close to the Kind of Systematic Racism Others Face...

Other Than That Considering You Had to Use 'Welfare' Yourself Until You Pulled Yourself up to a different place...

Why in the 'World'

Wouldn't you

Wanna Afford

A Home of A Mother

To A Child that is Not Yours

In Terms of Government Provided

Assistance in Paid Maternity Leave;

The Same Way You Got A Hand Up too;

Honestly Man, It has nothing to Do With 'Christianity' at Least

This Attitude of Not Serving Others In need besides ourselves....

It's Common Among 'Christians' And Part of Why i May Not Even
Go Back to Visit Church As it Personally Disgusts me Along with
All The Brown Nosing of Trump And Ignorance Over Requiring
Masks in Mass in A Deadly Pandemic; i Can't Imagine Any 'Real Christian'
Who Pays any Credence to the Beatitudes Not Wanting to Provide A Mother to Raise A Child....

And Yeah Several Years Back We Had a Deacon Preach About Single Mothers Not Fit to Raise Children...

i Put A Stop to Him Ever Saying That Again When the Head Priest Listened to me; And Now He's Become A 'Trump Fool'....

Just my View at Least...