Anyone else so poor they have to leave sinks dripping?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 3:06 am

So for my apartment complex we got an email notice to keep our thermostat at at least 65 degrees and leave our taps dripping over-night to help pipes keep from freezing. Just got done going around making sure all the faucets in my apartment have water dripping through

Then again maybe it is a thing people in actual houses deal with to, but yeah idk it is just concerning of if other people in the building don't do that will our pipes freeze? either way we saw the notice so we'll leave ours dripping over-night but who knows about the other people in the building.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 3:11 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
So for my apartment complex we got an email notice to keep our thermostat at at least 65 degrees and leave our taps dripping over-night to help pipes keep from freezing. Just got done going around making sure all the faucets in my apartment have water dripping through

Then again maybe it is a thing people in actual houses deal with to, but yeah idk it is just concerning of if other people in the building don't do that will our pipes freeze? either way we saw the notice so we'll leave ours dripping over-night but who knows about the other people in the building.

To answer your question, no. But, I think it's a little colder where you live. Unfortunately, here, it got up to about 60 all week. We used to get winter weather from late October through February, but now it's mostly January and February. What does your situation have to do with poverty, though? It sound like it's just a weather-related precaution.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 4:15 am

HighLlama wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

To answer your question, no. But, I think it's a little colder where you live. Unfortunately, here, it got up to about 60 all week. We used to get winter weather from late October through February, but now it's mostly January and February. What does your situation have to do with poverty, though? It sound like it's just a weather-related precaution.

It is weather thing so its not abnormal, but I guess I just wonder if the people in newer apartments that can afford 15,ooo a month even have to deal with that kind of thing or if it is more a thing lower income people in crappy apartments just get used to. I mean this is me and my boyfriends third apartment I only ever lived with family or parents until we got our own place, so I don't really have much experience.

but for sure tempatures are supposed to go well below freezing so that is why they gave the notice.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 5:05 am

Never heard of that one. I don't think it gets that cold too often here. I've heard of just keeping the heating on really low so the pipes done freeze.

https://www.al.com/news/2017/12/how_man ... ou_le.html

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 7:58 am

I don't think that's a problem here, even though the temperature going as low as -15 or -20 isn't all that rare and has already been a thing this month. Guess we have better piping here since low temperatures are, and especially were in the past, more of a rule than an exception during winter.

Then again, I've heard that this might be a problem if the pipes go unused for days and the temperature is a lot below zero during that time. But yeah, I'm talking about days, not a single night.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 11:14 am

Our weatherman always tells us to leave sinks dripping during extreme cold.
Frozen busted pipes are no fun, been there.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2021, 11:23 am

At my house I have to leave the outdoor water line open (shut in the house) so excess water can drip out.

Pipes freezing is a real and serious problem. It can cost thousands and I don't believe it's insured if you don't prepare properly to avoid a rupture.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 4:08 am

In Melbourne we don't get such cold winters. Our climate is more like Southern California.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 4:30 am

here in the great green northwest they tell us to leave 'em drippin' if it drops to freezing or below outside.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 11:21 pm

I am so poor that the only thing I can afford to live in is a used FEMA Trailer with no plumbing or running water or heating or cooling.I would give anything to have a apartment of my own instead of my camper.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2021, 11:37 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am so poor that the only thing I can afford to live in is a used FEMA Trailer with no plumbing or running water or heating or cooling.I would give anything to have a apartment of my own instead of my camper.

how are you keeping healthy without heating or running water?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 1:19 am

auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I just stay with my parents most of the time but my own place is basically on our ranch.I just have to use the facilities outside when I am there.I do sleep there sometime when its cold.I just have to dodge the rattlesnakes and hogs and criminals and javelina when I use the bathroom outside at night.Its my emergency place if I ever lived there full-time.I paid 200 bucks for it.I just wear a wool jacket when I am out there.Its fine because I have always liked camping but its scary at night because there are poachers at night on the ranch.at least I stargaze there.I just get under a bunch of blankets and covers and have a camp fire.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 1:23 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I just stay with my parents most of the time but my own place is basically on our ranch.I just have to use the facilities outside when I am there.I do sleep there sometime when its cold.I just have to dodge the rattlesnakes and hogs and criminals and javelina when I use the bathroom outside at night.Its my emergency place if I ever lived there full-time.I paid 200 bucks for it.I just wear a wool jacket when I am out there.Its fine because I have always liked camping but its scary at night because there are poachers at night on the ranch.at least I stargaze there.I just get under a bunch of blankets and covers and have a camp fire.

you're made out of hardy stuff, providence made you tough enough to handle it, i hope that things improve for you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 1:25 am

being that i have limitations in my fundage, i struggle with dripping faucets now and then. i have learned how to apply extra torque in shutting off spigots to avoid that as much as possible. to fix the shower would cost as much as a good used car. mold/mildew is also an issue.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 1:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

you're made out of hardy stuff, providence made you tough enough to handle it, i hope that things improve for you.

Thanks buddy.I really appreciate it.Things are looking up because I may get a job as analyst at a small local bank according to my state job lady.Things are getting better.I hope things get better for you as well.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2021, 2:11 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Thanks buddy.I really appreciate it.Things are looking up because I may get a job as analyst at a small local bank according to my state job lady.Things are getting better.I hope things get better for you as well.

thank you friend :flower: what does an analyst do at a bank and what was your method of achieving/rating that rank?