Is it true that republicans cannot be bought in this sense?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2021, 11:47 pm

A lot of people say the reason why the government is letting in so many immigrants is because they want to have the most votes to stay in government. I read that they have more benefits that other Americans such as free health care, if that's true, and that the government wants to give them more benefits to get more votes.

But if this is true, why can't the government just give the republicans more perks and just buy their votes, rather than bring in so many immigrants? Doesn't it make more sense to buy your enemy off instead, so to speak?

I talked to a friend of mine about it and she said that reblucans wouldn't give in to any influences like that. But is that true that they are unbuyable, and have no weak spots that the government can use to win them over at all?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 4:27 am

Stone age tribes in the jungles of New Guinea will place skulls on stakes at the border of their territory to warn members of the neighboring tribes to stay out of their territory.

Trumps policies were the equivalent closest things he could do. He didnt chop off the heads of Central American migrants and put thier severed heads on stakes at the US-Mexican border. But he did do other cruel things.

Biden is doing the equivalent of NOT chopping off heads and putting them on stakes. He is not inviting outsiders in. He is just stopping being barbaric. That might have the effect of attracting more tespassers. But that not the intent.

The POTUS who deported the most people in US history (more than Trump) was Democrat Obama.

Biden is just returning to Obama's policies of being a kind and gentle stealth xenophobe, and ending Trump's policy of publicly scapegoating and demonizing immigrants.

Both parties are basically anti immigrant.

SOME in the GOP claim the Dems invite in immigrants from poor countries so the said immigrants will become Dem voters-thus padding the voting strength of that party. The logic being that native born affluent americans (of either party) are harder to buy off then desperate folks from poor countries. So if this theory is your favorite conspiracy theory de jure then... THAT is the logic. Not that one party has less bribable voters than the other.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:05 am

ironpony wrote:
A lot of people say the reason why the government is letting in so many immigrants is because they want to have the most votes to stay in government. I read that they have more benefits that other Americans such as free health care, if that's true, and that the government wants to give them more benefits to get more votes.

But if this is true, why can't the government just give the republicans more perks and just buy their votes, rather than bring in so many immigrants? Doesn't it make more sense to buy your enemy off instead, so to speak?

I talked to a friend of mine about it and she said that reblucans wouldn't give in to any influences like that. But is that true that they are unbuyable, and have no weak spots that the government can use to win them over at all?

The government isn't trying to buy votes or bribe people, they're trying to increase the population.

What you're describing wouldn't accomplish that goal so why would they try it? Whether or not Democrats can bribe typical Republican voters isn't a concern because they're not trying to get more votes and rule like dictators, they're trying to do what they believe is the right thing.

Unlike the Republicans the Democrats actually have goals that are bigger than own the other guys. A lot of conservative paranoia over actions the Democratic party might pursue are the result of not being able to see any agenda beyond trolling so they assume all their opponents actions are being done just to troll them.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 2:51 pm

Oh, Republicans can be bought, alright.

You just have to know what to sell 'em:

(Yes, that's Ted Nugent)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 8:30 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:

The government isn't trying to buy votes or bribe people, they're trying to increase the population.

What you're describing wouldn't accomplish that goal so why would they try it? Whether or not Democrats can bribe typical Republican voters isn't a concern because they're not trying to get more votes and rule like dictators, they're trying to do what they believe is the right thing.

Unlike the Republicans the Democrats actually have goals that are bigger than own the other guys. A lot of conservative paranoia over actions the Democratic party might pursue are the result of not being able to see any agenda beyond trolling so they assume all their opponents actions are being done just to troll them.

Oh okay, what is the reason that the government wants to increase the population? Americans often talk about how there are too many people and not enough employment for example, so why would they want to increase it therefore?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 8:49 pm

Republican politicians are still politicians. They too have their price.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:08 pm

ironpony wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Oh okay, what is the reason that the government wants to increase the population? Americans often talk about how there are too many people and not enough employment for example, so why would they want to increase it therefore?

White nationalists and people who carry water for them often insist that there's too many people, that doesn't mean that it's true or that they're saying it for the same reasons that people who disagree with the sentiment use to argue for their position.

America has an aging population, adding more young people and people who are in or approaching their prime earning years is good for the economy. Adding people who grew up overseas basically means getting people that some other country invested in while reaping the returns on that investment.

There's a documented connection between immigrants and entrepreneurship. Some of those same people who hate immigrants might end up employed by them in some other scenario.

Immigration reform, perhaps to something more similar to Canada's system would help America with bringing in younger people who's taxes will pay for the same boomers bitching about them immigrating in the first place.

Engaging in reform the benefits people already living in the US for an extended period would reduce the costs involved with trying to remove them while also making it easier for them to participate fully in the economy and in the political process.

Canada is also seeking to add people for similar reasons.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:11 pm

Oh okay, Canada has people I know who are looking for work all the time, and it seems like there are too many people and not enough jobs, so I didn't think bringing in immigrants would fill jobs. I don't think I am a nationalist for saying that, it's just been my observation of people I know and situations.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:21 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, Canada has people I know who are looking for work all the time, and it seems like there are too many people and not enough jobs, so I didn't think bringing in immigrants would fill jobs. I don't think I am a nationalist for saying that, it's just been my observation of people I know and situations.

Immigration doesn't usually increase unemployment though, at least not in the long run. Besides, speaking the local language with the local accent and being part of the local culture is a huge asset when hunting a job, so fears of immigrants 'stealing' jobs are generally unfounded. Immigrants often start businesses, I thought those business owners were job creators we should be grateful for (according to the right), how can job creators steal jobs?

Whether or not you're aligned with nativist or white nationalist types, that idea is a talking point that's pushed heavily by them. It's unfounded and doesn't reflect reality. That's what I mean by 'carrying water', when people outside of those circles advance those talking points they're helping those groups even if they don't intend to or don't realize it.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:26 pm

In international terms, America is still a pretty empty nation.

Though not nearly as empty as it was when it only had Native Americans, Eskimos and Pacific Islanders in it (or what's now considered to be "it", anyway).

To my mind the entire economic strength of the modern USA comes from its vibrant mix of cultures and attitudes. It's just a shame that all the different groups are now being set against each other, to hide the fact the whole nation is getting ripped off by a very small number of incredibly rich white dudes.

Cookie theft

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:29 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Though not nearly as empty as it was when it only had Native Americans, Eskimos and Pacific Islanders in it (or what's now considered to be "it", anyway).

The Americas weren't quite as empty prior to 1492 as is sometimes claimed. Upper estimates might be too high, but the idea that the Americas were empty is partially the result of the wave of death that preceded contact for most of that process.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
The Americas weren't quite as empty prior to 1492 as is sometimes claimed. Upper estimates might be too high, but the idea that the Americas were empty is partially the result of the wave of death that preceded contact for most of that process.

I didn't mention 1492. I mentioned the time when no-one else was there.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Immigration doesn't usually increase unemployment though, at least not in the long run. Besides, speaking the local language with the local accent and being part of the local culture is a huge asset when hunting a job, so fears of immigrants 'stealing' jobs are generally unfounded. Immigrants often start businesses, I thought those business owners were job creators we should be grateful for (according to the right), how can job creators steal jobs?

Whether or not you're aligned with nativist or white nationalist types, that idea is a talking point that's pushed heavily by them. It's unfounded and doesn't reflect reality. That's what I mean by 'carrying water', when people outside of those circles advance those talking points they're helping those groups even if they don't intend to or don't realize it.

Oh okay, well I am just going by own observations as there seems to be a lot of people without jobs at least where I live. As for immigrants creating businesses, well, there are a lot of people without jobs so it doesn't look like they are creating much business to equal that so far, but I am from my point of view, where I am.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:37 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, well I am just going by own observations as there seems to be a lot of people without jobs at least where I live. As for immigrants creating businesses, well, there are a lot of people without jobs so it doesn't look like they are creating much business to equal that so far, but I am from my point of view, where I am.

But that assumes there would be no unemployment without immigration. How do you know that's true?

There is a paradox here. Immigrants are often portrayed as worthless scroungers with no merit, only to then be accused of stealing everybody's jobs. How bad does the home-grown talent have to be, for that to be the case, then?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:39 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I didn't mention 1492. I mentioned the time when no-one else was there.

Like, many thousands of years ago before the ancestors of indigenous peoples arrived? :chin:

Redd_Kross wrote:

No wait, while you didn't say the number 1492 you clearly were referring to the period before Columbus made contact, when there were millions of people.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2021, 9:43 pm

ironpony wrote:

Are there lots of immigrants? Do lots of the immigrants run businesses? Do lots of immigrants run businesses compared to the number of people who complain about them stealing jobs? Why don't those people take on the risk of starting a business? Probably because they don't have the ambition, just like they wouldn't have the ambition to seek a better life elsewhere by dealing with the process of immigrating.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う