Page 8 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 2:02 am

browneyedgirlslowingdown wrote:
limited educational discussion of anything.

I've continually invited intellectual discussion on this forum on various topics (not just this one) and I often find myself bumping the thread despite there being hundreds of highly intelligent intellectual aspies reading my posts.

Not sure if its arrogance, shyness or apathy? probably the latter.

Feel free to expand on the "educational" aspect of this discussion.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 May 2021, 7:30 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
I'd still like to know what the Canal and Rivers Trust have got to do with it.
:lol: My thoughts too.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2021, 7:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
limited educational discussion of anything.

I've continually invited intellectual discussion on this forum on various topics (not just this one) and I often find myself bumping the thread despite there being hundreds of highly intelligent intellectual aspies reading my posts.

Not sure if its arrogance, shyness or apathy? probably the latter.

Feel free to expand on the "educational" aspect of this discussion.

There was some. It's just that there was so little. I wasn't saying that you didn't add any it just seemed like there almost close to none in this entire list when there are whole resources explaining what racist is, and how racist this country is, I don't understand how it's debated by ignoring an entire body of evidence for the most part.

It's like arguing whether or not we have appendixes ..or microbes in our guts. No one consulted a doctor? A surgeon?

Could it be arrogance? Apathy? Shyness? Maybe. I don't know.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish the KKK would be blown to smithereens.

I don't believe white people are necessarily the recipients of "white privilege." I find "white privilege" to be an academic term.

The only time I feel "privileged" is when I can use a bathroom in a restaurant. I find this is frequently denied to nonwhite folks.

In my neighborhood, I am in the "minority."

White privilege is kind of like a sleeping power that is invoked or activated in certain circumstances. The classic one is where a white employer has two applicants with nearly exactly the same qualifications but one is white, they will (in all probability) choose the white applicant.

So in a country like Kenya would there be "Black Privilege" or "Yellow Privilege" in South Korea? Is privilege determined by the majority population? If so should CRT be amended accordingly and exported?

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 8:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I am acutely aware of how nonwhite people were discriminated against in the past, and much much more.

I am acutely aware that some of this discrimination even exists today.

Saying this, I don't believe I bear an onus, a personal responsibility, for what occurred in the past, and what occurs in the present, merely by virtue of being white.

I am a person much more than I'm a "white person."

Exactly!
Merely being "White" doesn't make one a racist. That is the crux of the argument against CRT.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:21 am

So when today's children are grown up do you think their CRT training will have made them more tolerant, enlightened and better people in the future? Or will it stoke animosity and resentment among all groups?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 9:42 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't believe white people are necessarily the recipients of "white privilege." I find "white privilege" to be an academic term.

The only time I feel "privileged" is when I can use a bathroom in a restaurant. I find this is frequently denied to nonwhite folks.

White privilege is kind of like a sleeping power that is invoked or activated in certain circumstances. The classic one is where a white employer has two applicants with nearly exactly the same qualifications but one is white, they will (in all probability) choose the white applicant.

So in a country like Kenya would there be "Black Privilege" or "Yellow Privilege" in South Korea? Is privilege determined by the majority population? If so should CRT be amended accordingly and exported?

If there's a majority ethnic group that dominates most of the political, social and economic spheres it's likely that that group enjoys privilege as a result, so yes it would be fair to discuss Japanese privilege in the context of Japan, for example.

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Exactly!
Merely being "White" doesn't make one a racist. That is the crux of the argument against CRT.

Being perceived as white means you've benefited from white privilege even if one was unaware and wishes it weren't so.

Mr Reynholm wrote:
So when today's children are grown up do you think their CRT training will have made them more tolerant, enlightened and better people in the future? Or will it stoke animosity and resentment among all groups?

It depends, if they go home to parents that tell them they're being blamed for all sorts of problems they never caused and that all those other people should be grateful to live in their society it will likely lead to the latter outcome. Of course it won't be due to any failures of CRT, it will be due to triggered racists raising their kids to embrace the same toxic racist mindsets they grew up with.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:33 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

If there's a majority ethnic group that dominates most of the political, social and economic spheres it's likely that that group enjoys privilege as a result, so yes it would be fair to discuss Japanese privilege in the context of Japan, for example.

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Exactly!

Being perceived as white means you've benefited from white privilege even if one was unaware and wishes it weren't so.

Mr Reynholm wrote:

It depends, if they go home to parents that tell them they're being blamed for all sorts of problems they never caused and that all those other people should be grateful to live in their society it will likely lead to the latter outcome. Of course it won't be due to any failures of CRT, it will be due to triggered racists raising their kids to embrace the same toxic racist mindsets they grew up with.

There are triggered racists of ALL colors.
American society is not an exclusively "White" society that POCs are reluctantly allowed to live in. Not being in the majority does not mean one is excluded from successful participation in society.
Building walls of race and a hierarchy of victimhood and oppression will never lead to harmony.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 10:41 am

This is not a "hierarchy of victimhood" & I think you know perfectly well how nasty you are actually being about it.

We are discussing people getting mad about violence against black people. You're reading too far into it.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 11:34 am

cberg wrote:
This is not a "hierarchy of victimhood" & I think you know perfectly well how nasty you are actually being about it.

We are discussing people getting mad about violence against black people. You're reading too far into it.

You're supposed to ignore systemic factors, discussing them is promoting victimhood, apparently.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 5:04 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Not being in the majority does not mean one is excluded from successful participation in society.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1921. ‘I am seeking justice’: Tulsa massacre survivor, 107, testifies to US Congress

What do you say to those people?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 12:53 am

There was some. It's just that there was so little. I wasn't saying that you didn't add any it just seemed like there almost close to none in this entire list when there are whole resources explaining what racist is, and how racist this country is, I don't understand how it's debated by ignoring an entire body of evidence for the most part.

I feel like anyone who doesn't think America is a racist country, doesn't really know anyone who's black. Or Mexican. Or Indian. Or Native American. Or...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 2:55 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
Not being in the majority does not mean one is excluded from successful participation in society.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, 1921. ‘I am seeking justice’: Tulsa massacre survivor, 107, testifies to US Congress

Reynholm will say that was long ago...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 2:57 am

Mr Reynholm wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

There's a considerable difference between indigenous/native majority privilege and contrived privilege based on a person's phenotype.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 7:19 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

I have lived most of my life in Tulsa and am very familiar with the 1921 riot. It was a tragedy that we ought to acknowledge and remembered to make sure things like this never happen again.
Justice is probably not going to happen as it has be a century and the perpetrators are long dead.
As Ms Fletcher says "We must acknowledge America's sins". I agree. But continual self flagellation will not be beneficial or constructive to our country of which black Americans are a part.
Rather than demonizing America (Americans) for allowing events like this to occur, lets learn from it and use it to open dialog to build a stronger community to make sure things like this never happen again.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2021, 7:36 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:

I feel like anyone who doesn't think America is a racist country, doesn't really know anyone who's black. Or Mexican. Or Indian. Or Native American. Or...

I have family who are black and Hispanic.
In college all of my friends were Creek, or Sioux Indian. I was the only Hvtkē in my circle of friends.
No, I haven't lived in an white bubble my whole life.
You would probably be shocked if you knew how many "minorities" do not share your "progressive" values.