Male disposability, the Apex fallacy, and male privilege

Page 3 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 11:35 pm

You must not be in that bad of shape if you can chase those kids around :)

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 3:40 am

I often hear about the Glass Ceiling. This is another case of the Apex fallacy at play.

It is true that the vast majority of individuals in positions of upper management are men. But feminists stopped there and never looked any deeper. If they did, they would notice that it is not simply men who make up the majority of people in leadership positions, but rather a particular subset of men. When I worked at a computer products manufacturing plant, I personally noticed that every man in upper management was above 6'. And this is not a coincidence. Height in men corresponds with an increase in wages after controlling for other factors like age and weight, as men earn an additional 1.8% in income for every additional inch. 90% of CEOs are above average in height. Research has shown that humans subconsciously associate height with strength, intelligence, and leadership potential.

The Glass Ceiling is as real for most men as it is for women.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 1:38 pm

^^ There's a lot more to the Glass Ceiling than stature. Newsweek ran the results of a big survey in which people were asked dozens of questions about work conditions and pay, in different ways to dance around the main question. It turned out that both men and women wanted 20% more to work under a female supervisor. When I first went to work in a factory, the first thing they asked was if I could work for a woman "foreman." I had to have the question repeated, because I'd been obeying women all my life. Anyway, promoting a woman can get very expensive in either pay or turnover. My ex took over a business that had been successfully run by a drunk, and did well under our joint management, and ruined it within a year.

There is also the fact that many women just don't want to dedicate themselves so much to career vs family. They drop out of the rat race, because it isn't getting them what they want.

Also, I think that to be fair, the accounting of male salaries should not include what they pay for alimony and associated expenses. John Cleese was quite frank about having to delay his retirement for years because of that.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 2:07 pm

dorkseid wrote:
I often hear about the Glass Ceiling. This is another case of the Apex fallacy at play.

It is true that the vast majority of individuals in positions of upper management are men. But feminists stopped there and never looked any deeper. If they did, they would notice that it is not simply men who make up the majority of people in leadership positions, but rather a particular subset of men. When I worked at a computer products manufacturing plant, I personally noticed that every man in upper management was above 6'. And this is not a coincidence. Height in men corresponds with an increase in wages after controlling for other factors like age and weight, as men earn an additional 1.8% in income for every additional inch. 90% of CEOs are above average in height. Research has shown that humans subconsciously associate height with strength, intelligence, and leadership potential.

My boss who has a company that turns over about £60 million a year is a relative midget but I agree with the overall fallacy of a glass ceiling.

A lot more of my childless female friends work part time compared to none of my male friends.

The company I worked for wanted someone to cut metal beams all day long. It's a boring as hell job but one that pays well and is dead easy. Knowing my closest female friend was unhappy with her job (she worked as a dental nurse), I decided to ask her if she was interested in such a job as me being one of the longest serving members of the workshop, a referral from me was a guaranteed job position for her that will pay all her bills...............she refused the job as her "heart" wasn't in it. It was a 30k a year job............

What she said hit the nail on the head to the glass celling. A lot of females prefer working with people and males prefer working with things. Seeing you can't live inside of, drive, electrify, build or eat a person (at least not legally last time I checked), you generally can't ask for high pay for dealing with people or service sector work.

The fact is that STEM jobs keeps the world fed and healthy. STEM keeps you warm in the winter, allows you to do online shopping, keeps a roof over your head and gets you from A to B and as such, it gets the lions share of the world finances and women have mostly turned their back on STEM other than the medical side which they appear to do exceptionally well with. Service sector work which women seem to greatly prefer is more of a non essential to a lot of people and many don't need/want to pay premium prices for such work.

The company I work for which is a large engineering company employs exclusively men in the well paid blue collar, hands on side to manufacturing and entirely females in the low pay admin department.

A lot of women simply don't want to work stressful or intense jobs.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 3:37 pm

Nades wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

My boss who has a company that turns over about £60 million a year is a relative midget but I agree with the overall fallacy of a glass ceiling.

A lot more of my childless female friends work part time compared to none of my male friends.

The company I worked for wanted someone to cut metal beams all day long. It's a boring as hell job but one that pays well and is dead easy. Knowing my closest female friend was unhappy with her job (she worked as a dental nurse), I decided to ask her if she was interested in such a job as me being one of the longest serving members of the workshop, a referral from me was a guaranteed job position for her that will pay all her bills...............she refused the job as her "heart" wasn't in it. It was a 30k a year job............

What she said hit the nail on the head to the glass celling. A lot of females prefer working with people and males prefer working with things. Seeing you can't live inside of, drive, electrify, build or eat a person (at least not legally last time I checked), you generally can't ask for high pay for dealing with people or service sector work.

The fact is that STEM jobs keeps the world fed and healthy. STEM keeps you warm in the winter, allows you to do online shopping, keeps a roof over your head and gets you from A to B and as such, it gets the lions share of the world finances and women have mostly turned their back on STEM other than the medical side which they appear to do exceptionally well with. Service sector work which women seem to greatly prefer is more of a non essential to a lot of people and many don't need/want to pay premium prices for such work.

The company I work for which is a large engineering company employs exclusively men in the well paid blue collar, hands on side to manufacturing and entirely females in the low pay admin department.

Women are still saddled with child care and the "caring" professions.

Maybe stop trying to tie the worth of an individual human to the job they do.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 3:51 pm

I think that working with people in the service sector pays low because society decided it does. Education is an essential job that requires working with people, and there's a huge teacher shortage because of how badly teachers are paid. Most educators are women.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 4:00 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

My post was in reply to a previous post about the glass celling so why would I mention anything other than jobs when replying to it?

Childcare is a different issue anyway and I partially addressed it in the post based on the observations I've made on my female friends and work colleague. "A lot more of my childless female friends work part time compared to none of my male friends".

My opinion still can't change when I see the majority of my childless female friends and work colleges work part time compared to my male friends who all work full time. My male friends work roughly double the hours of my female friends and in my workplace, every single woman works part time other than one of the company owners and the purchase ledger assistant.

There is a strong argument to make for professional (degree or higher) female workers in jobs like accountancy, law, medicine and science breaking the glass celling but overall these women seem to be in the minority.

I know this thread isn't solely about carers but that was what my post was in response to.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 4:02 pm

dorkseid wrote:
I think that working with people in the service sector pays low because society decided it does. Education is an essential job that requires working with people, and there's a huge teacher shortage because of how badly teachers are paid. Most educators are women.

Teachers make up a tiny proportion of service sector workers but I agree, they need to be paid more depending on the age of the kids they're teaching. There is a big gulf in the level of skill between a high school teacher and a kindergarten teacher. At least in my eyes.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 4:09 pm

Nades wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

My post was in reply to a previous post about the glass celling so why would I mention anything other than jobs when replying to it?

Childcare is a different issue anyway and I partially addressed it in the post based on the observations I've made on my female friends and work colleague. "A lot more of my childless female friends work part time compared to none of my male friends".

My opinion still can't change when I see the majority of my childless female friends and work colleges work part time compared to my male friends who all work full time. My male friends work roughly double the hours of my female friends and in my workplace, every single woman works part time other than one of the company owners and the purchase ledger assistant.

There is a strong argument to make for professional (degree or higher) female workers in jobs like accountancy, law, medicine and science breaking the glass celling but overall these women seem to be in the minority.

I know this thread isn't solely about carers but that was what my post was in response to.

Anecdotal evidence means jack.

In my experience, women still are burdened with the lion's share of child care and the "caring" professions.

Let's stop measuring the worth of individuals based on their job. If all the women dissapeared, I doubt there would be many men willing to downgrade, and start wiping butts for minimum wage.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 4:15 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

In my experience, women still are burdened with the lion's share of child care and the "caring" professions.

Let's stop measuring the worth of individuals based on their job. If all the women dissapeared, I doubt there would be many men willing to downgrade, and start wiping butts for minimum wage.

It's not just my personal observations. https://www.stemwomen.co.uk/blog/2021/01/women-in-stem-percentages-of-women-in-stem-statistics

Women overall prefer service sector work by a considerable margin and it's generally considered as less skilled.

It's a shame really because if WW2 was anything to go by, women seem highly competent in the trades.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 4:30 pm

Nades wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

It's not just my personal observations. https://www.stemwomen.co.uk/blog/2021/01/women-in-stem-percentages-of-women-in-stem-statistics

Women overall prefer service sector work by a considerable margin and it's generally considered as less skilled.

It's a shame really because if WW2 was anything to go by, women seem highly competent in the trades.

And?

Service sector work is still work.

Are there a bunch of men willing to give up their privilege to wipe butts for minimum wage? No? Then maybe we should stop judging the worth of an individual by the job they do.

Both men and women contribute important things to society.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 4:36 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
Nades wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

And?

Service sector work is still work.

Are there a bunch of men willing to give up their privilege to wipe butts for minimum wage? No? Then maybe we should stop judging the worth of an individual by the job they do.

Both men and women contribute important things to society.

It is still work but many people don't want to pay a babysitter as much as an electrician and that's where a lot of the arguments in the wage gap revolve around.

What do you mean by "privilege"? All the men I know work 50+ hour weeks in unpleasant and dangerous work environments for their above average pay. If a woman was doing the same job and the same hours she would make exactly the same money.

I'm not judging women only by their jobs. I was just replying to a post made about the glass celling so not surprisingly my post was entirely about jobs.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 5:02 pm

Nades wrote:

Teachers make up a tiny proportion of service sector workers but I agree, they need to be paid more depending on the age of the kids they're teaching. There is a big gulf in the level of skill between a high school teacher and a kindergarten teacher. At least in my eyes.

Different age/grade levels require different skill sets, but they are all hard work and equally important.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 5:19 pm

dorkseid wrote:
Nades wrote:

Different age/grade levels require different skill sets, but they are all hard work and equally important.

I don't think so.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 4:21 am

Nades wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
Nades wrote:

I don't think so.

Then you must not know much about education or child development.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 4:59 am

Well it is late for me so I will probably have to come back to this later, its a long post and not sure I can really read it all now. But started reading, and well I always hated that part of the titanic, i thought it was stupid like sure you don't want women or kids to die but like why should the decision be based on gender? I figured most the guys on the ship were just as terrified as the women and children of drowning. I mean idk how they should have done it, idk maybe have had actually enough lifeboats on board instead of assuming it was an unsinkable ship...?

Also though like if I was on that ship with my boyfriend and I was allowed to get on a lifeboat but he wasn't, I don't think I could do it, like if he couldn't come with me then yeah I guess I'd take my chances with us trying to catch some floaty debri.