Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 11:27 am

Social media is tightening the grip on free speech, limiting hate-speech.

While I see a problem with hate-speech directed at people for something they have no say in (colour of their skin, ethnic origins or disability), I cannot see what's wrong at directing hate-speech against people for something they've CHOSEN!

Like:

Religion and political opinions.

I'd like my free speech and use it to make hate-speech against nazis and like-minded inferior people!

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 11:43 am

I am not sure you understand what hate speech is.

Even so, you should play the ball and not the person. If you are just using your point of view to be abusive, then I simply don't agree with you, no matter the point of view you are trying to counter.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 11:52 am

Jiheisho wrote:
I am not sure you understand what hate speech is.

Even so, you should play the ball and not the person. If you are just using your point of view to be abusive, then I simply don't agree with you, no matter the point of view you are trying to counter.

To say all nazis should be executed for being nazis, is hate-speech.

This is why I dislike hate-speech regulations, because hate-speech regulations bans some opinions from being expressed while allowing others, in that they say we should tolerate the intolerate, but the very same social media won't accept some intolerance ie. intolerance towards nazis or religious fundamentalists.

So they are themselves intolerate.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:13 pm

There's nothing wrong with hatred in/of itself.

Hatred is not only natural, hatred is a healthy reaction to a sick society.

Society and social media should encourage more hatred throughout the globe, this is the only way to ensure a better world!

I hate people who talk only about good/positive stuff. We need to address the issues of this world, and hatred is a means to the ends.

Being all-positive should be banned. Pessimists are the true heroes of the world!

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:16 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
There's nothing wrong with hatred in/of itself.

Hatred is not only natural, hatred is a healthy reaction to a sick society.

Society and social media should encourage more hatred throughout the globe, this is the only way to ensure a better world!

I hate people who talk only about good/positive stuff. We need to address the issues of this world, and hatred is a means to the ends.

Positivism should be banned. Pessimists are the true heroes of the world!

No, hate is not in and of itself bad. But the expression of that hate can be.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:20 pm

Jiheisho wrote:

I'd like the freedom to express my emotions, when I feel like it.
Nobody should stop me from showing how I feel about s**t.

People who demand everything and everyone should be happy, positive, good etc. all the time - are not only annoying...
- They are EVIL!

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:30 pm

Jiheisho wrote:

People who demand everything and everyone should be happy, positive, good etc. are not only annoying.
They are outright EVIL!

Yes, you have the right to be abusive. I am sure it is emotionally gratify, but ultimately self defeating if you are actually try to change something. And others have the right to be abusive toward you.

I think the use of abuse for personal gratification is "evil." I am really tired of bullies. And it is does not matter the position you take.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:32 pm

Jiheisho wrote:

People who demand everything and everyone should be happy, positive, good etc. all the time - are not only annoying...
- They are EVIL!

You can express your emotions without making threats or openly discussing how people of a certain category should all be harmed, right?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:33 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Yes, you have the right to be abusive. I am sure it is emotionally gratify, but ultimately self defeating if you are actually try to change something. And others have the right to be abusive toward you.

I think the use of abuse for personal gratification is "evil." I am really tired of bullies. And it is does not matter the position you take.

I hate bullies too. That's why part of my hate-speech is directed against bullies. But social media including Wrong Planet has prohibited me from saying what I feel towards bullies.

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:35 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
You can express your emotions without making threats or openly discussing how people of a certain category should all be harmed, right?

Some of the ways and methods I express my emotions is through discussion on how my enemies should be punished.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Some of the ways and methods I express my emotions is through discussion on how my enemies should be punished.

Sounding like one is plotting violence can carry consequences and personally I don't mind limiting speech in that context.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 1:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Sounding like one is plotting violence can carry consequences and personally I don't mind limiting speech in that context.

I'm not talking of threats, but wish for punishment/retribution (you know, legally).

I think threats and calling for other/similar illegal actions - should be banned.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 1:53 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I'm not talking of threats, but wish for punishment/retribution (you know, legally).

I think threats and calling for other/similar illegal actions - should be banned.

I'm not sure open discussion of planning to use the state to punish one's opponents is significantly different than engaging in that activity on one's own.

Obviously it depends on the actions in question, but (for example) pivoting from Nazis should be beaten-up and run out of town to we should pass a law so the cops can beat all the Nazis up and run them out of town doesn't really represent a big difference in my eyes. The end result is that violence is being threatened, further in the real world it's less likely that violence and violent rhetoric will actually be against reactionaries, it's usually directed towards minorities or people who otherwise fail to fit in well.

Basically, allowing for hate speech against one's opponents leaves open the possibility of one's opponents engaging in the same but having greater ability to act on those threats and greater ability to avoid being held accountable for actions relating to those threats.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 2:22 pm

Social media is tightening the grip on free speech, limiting hate-speech.

While I see a problem with hate-speech directed at people for something they have no say in (colour of their skin, ethnic origins or disability), I cannot see what's wrong at directing hate-speech against people for something they've CHOSEN!

The atrocities of the Cultural Revolution, the Gulag and the Cambodian genocide were not mainly aimed at people because of their skin, ethnic origins or disability - but because of their political and religious (=chosen) views.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 3:52 pm

Can’t you get a hobby?

Everybody has a “right” to expressing “hate speech.”

I feel like “hate speech” directed at me deserves a punch in the face.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 3:59 pm

I am confused as to what this thread is about. Is it about should hate speech be banned or is it literally about the title of the thread?

I am going to answer the literal title of the thread. Hate speech inspires people to hurt and kill other people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman