The fat acceptance movement is stupid and regression

Page 3 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
It sure didn't take long for this thread to be called fat shaming. If this thread is shaming anything, we are shaming the HAES movement for their lies and propaganda they spread and they shame anyone who loses weight to be healthy or to improve their health issues. They also thin shame and anorexic shame people for their eating disorders as well. What a bunch of hypocrites.

I think there's a fine line though between advocating for healthy choices and psychological harm in the realm of weight since nowadays more than half of people are overweight and particularly women are subject to body dissatisfaction, Most young girls are actually normal BMI but perceive themselves "overweight" so ironically are also impacted by fat shaming. I know many social media influencers have toxic attitudes

But despite being mindful of these things, people who advocate losing weight should not be criticised by advocates for the fat acceptance movement. Weight loss for those who are obese are no different to people who smoke or drug addicts as food addiction is not healthy,

Obese people are conditioned psychologically to think they are eating enough calories when in reality they are maintaining their weight and need to train themselves to eat less and exercise more. Often this requires a personal trainer and perhaps a nutritionist to guide them through a safe routine and I think medical insurance should cover costs to do this.

Except HAES tell people that weight does not affect your health and there is a conspiracy in the health industry by doctors against fat doctors. Look at My 600 Lb Life. How can anyone argue that is healthy and that weight can't affect you?

If you are happy being 160 lbs and your health is not as risk and you are healthy, then fine. I don't think anyone is gonna shame you for that. It's the lies we hate and misinformation about why people are overweight. That is not fat shaming there.

My mom says only reason why she is so overweight is because she likes to eat. She will work in the yard and then eat back her calories. She is honest about why she is so heavy and no one is going to shame her for that. Besides lot of people are overweight anyway and people have forgotten what normal thin is and think anyone who is actually at a healthy weight is an anorexic and too skinny now.

We need to stop throwing the term fat shaming around when we talk about obesity and reasons why people are obese. No one is making fun of them about it. Are we thin shaming when we talk about anorexia? That is how stupid it is to accuse anyone of fat shaming when we talk about obesity.

My mother in law will also say she is obese because she is disabled and can't get enough exercise.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 8:27 pm

Marylin Monroe was never fat and the HAES will use her to keep being in denial about their weight. Plus clothing sizes have changed over the years. Marylin Monroe wore a size 8 in todays clothing industry. A size 14 from the 1980's is now like a size 6 now for ladies. I have even noticed they have changed the girls sizes too because I can now fit into them now depending on the style. 8O A girl's size 16 fits like hip size 36 inches now. This was not a size 16 back in the late 1990s.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 10:45 pm

Does the acceptance movement actually help any overweight people? I mean do they get more roles now that would typically go to thinner people, such as movies or modeling, or do they have options wanting to date them because of the movement now?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:08 pm

ironpony wrote:
Does the acceptance movement actually help any overweight people? I mean do they get more roles now that would typically go to thinner people, such as movies or modeling, or do they have options wanting to date them because of the movement now?

Do they have either, or does it just simply give them a space where they don't receive judgment?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:11 pm

Oh I am not sure, that's what I was wondering.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:28 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Except HAES tell people that weight does not affect your health and there is a conspiracy in the health industry by doctors against fat doctors. Look at My 600 Lb Life. How can anyone argue that is healthy and that weight can't affect you?

I think the fat acceptance people might be misinterpreting their theories as "well intended" but at the end of the day the overweight folk need to take responsibility for their own health no differently to drug addicts or smokers. It's not something that people can be "woke" about.

League_Girl wrote:
My mom says only reason why she is so overweight is because she likes to eat. She will work in the yard and then eat back her calories. She is honest about why she is so heavy and no one is going to shame her for that. Besides lot of people are overweight anyway and people have forgotten what normal thin is and think anyone who is actually at a healthy weight is an anorexic and too skinny now. .

I think personal responsibility is your mother's business and nobody elses. My father is the opposite, he refuses to eat anything, his entire diet for an entire day will a coffee, boiled egg and toast followed by fish fingers and veggies at night time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:41 pm

It’s not good to be fat.

But it is also bad to insult fat people.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not good to be fat.

Summed up my thread in 2 sentences better than I did in 5 tedious and redundant paragraphs.

I need to work on my conciseness. Still a weakness of mine

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 11:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not good to be fat.

Very much. Treating them as objects of shame or ridicule is cruel no matter what the circumstances, including even the specific types called out here as being unhealthy.

salad wrote:
I need to work on my conciseness. Still a weakness of mine

Have you seen my posts? :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 12:42 am

funeralxempire wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Do they have either, or does it just simply give them a space where they don't receive judgment?

Well they sure judge people with anorexia and those who are recovering from binge eating and those who are losing weight rather it's intentional or an accident.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 12:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not good to be fat.

I wish the HAES saw it that way too but they see both as fat shaming instead of the second one only.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 1:01 am

HAES don't represent all people who are overweight

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 2:23 am

cyberdad wrote:

HAES is totally a different group than fat people. Even fat people have ranted against it too and some have even left that movement and said how toxic and full of BS it is.

This thread is about HAES people than about people who are fat.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 3:01 am

League_Girl wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

HAES is totally a different group than fat people. Even fat people have ranted against it too and some have even left that movement and said how toxic and full of BS it is.

This thread is about HAES people than about people who are fat.

And that's my point, HAES aren't representative so why should anyone listen to them?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 6:42 am

I think anyone should be able to any size and shape they want, after all it's their body, but just dont ask me to celebrate someone's overweight size as them feeling 'empowered' or 'not being defeated by fat shamers' when they decide to flaunt their fatness as something they are actually proud of

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 8:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not good to be fat.

Some benefits:
1. Get to eat whatever.
2. Less Wrinkles.
3. Always have a butt cushion.
4. Insulation for cold days.

Be the hero of your life.