The fat acceptance movement is stupid and regression

Page 11 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 11:44 pm

BarbM wrote:
My genes are pretty good. But although those jeans were good in high school, the fashion world now thinks of them as fat jeans!

Do you have any clothes from when you were in high school? Most of mine got worn out and I had to get rid of them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 11:45 pm

ironpony wrote:
Has the fat acceptance movement done any good though? It seems that models still have to be thin, movie stars almost always still have to be, and I don't think overweight women have had any increase in their dating odds as a reasult of the movement either. So unlike other movements that have seen some good, has this one at all though?

Modeling industries have changed, they now use bigger sized models like around a size 10 and call them plus size which I find offensive. They will not take models who they feel are too skinny.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 11:49 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I was just wondering how effective the movement will likely be. For example, will 30 years from now or more, people will look back and say "Can you believe that back in the 20teens, overweight people had problems getting dates and attention, and it was a big deal in attraction, compared to now"? Or will it not go that far likely?

Fay acceptance has been around since the 1960s so this is nothing new. Look how far they have become, zero. Facts do not care about feelings. I am still hearing about nutrition in school and doctors are still talking about higher rates in obesity. Exercising is still being promoted because it is not always about weight loss, it is about staying healthy and keep your bones strong and to age gracefully, same as with diets. But fat acceptance people will make this all about fatphobia and say these things are a way to get rid of fat people which is a big lie they made up.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 11:55 pm

lordy i wished i still could fit into my old clothes. :|

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 12:00 am

League_Girl wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Has the fat acceptance movement done any good though? It seems that models still have to be thin, movie stars almost always still have to be, and I don't think overweight women have had any increase in their dating odds as a reasult of the movement either. So unlike other movements that have seen some good, has this one at all though?

Modeling industries have changed, they now use bigger sized models like around a size 10 and call them plus size which I find offensive. They will not take models who they feel are too skinny.

Just so I have an idea, who is a size 10 model, as an example? I read that the model Ashely Graham is a size 16, but she's not that overweight though, and wouldn't have thought of her as plus size, like people make her out to be.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 7:43 am

There are overweight people who look good----and are lucky enough to have their weight distributed to the "right places."

And then there's the matter of "wearing the right clothes."

My father actually looked better a little overweight than when he lost weight later in life.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 11:11 am

I do not understand the point much.
Except that cultures and eras have their own definition and standards of beauty and individual's personal attraction.

But how does one generalize and judge if being fat or skinny is either an individual's sign of health or symptom of illness?

From where I came from, it's usually a sign that someone can afford to eat -- possibly richer than average and also healthier than average.
But that's not the relevant issue of this thread.

Yet the negative stereotypes still prevails in the local media, the exclusions via standards are still practiced.

But the idea of fat shaming? I don't know. Unless someone is shaming anyone of being well fed.

Body comments are just very, very common -- I'm aware in other social standards and norms this is particularly evasive or even offensive.

According to the US terms and context, said norm of body commenting is practically a form of textbook body shaming.

Here, both being skinny and fat are equally teased, losing and gaining weight are also equally commented upon -- no different from noticing someone's shortening or lengthening of hair length.

To the culture where I came from, it is not insulting or offending; it's just facts along with this society's standards and just being social.
To the US context as far as I'm aware of, it is -- toxic and possibly very detrimental I imagine.

Now...
Being visibly fat and diabetes type 1 runs in my father's side of the family.
It is not from a form of lack of self control or laziness.
And all my dad's siblings had lovers and are all eventually got married.

Me and my sister didn't inherited that particular trait.
Because we got my mom's instead -- it has as if, my mom's side has this upper limit; being skinny fat at most -- it's not easy for me to gain weight because of that.

None of my mom's siblings are visibly fat.
My mom is in her late 50s now, and comparably looked like she's physically still in her 30s.
Yet they are all wary about high blood pressure.

... And I wouldn't know if I'm actually metabolically healthy or not based on my body weight and appearance unless it is closely checked.
Knowing my cognitive dives, energy issues and other whatever hormonal reaction, I'd bet I'm not.

Regardless, in any case...

If it comes down to it -- any movements or representative that simply forces the issue, namely shoving "acceptance" to my face -- well...
I'd just be annoyed.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 1:50 pm

I don't accept the health problems associated with being fat.

But I do accept the person who happens to be fat.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 2:38 pm

But even poor people are fat. That is because lot of foods are high in calories and processed and have sugar in it. But yet I don't think I have ever noticed a homeless person being fat. That is because they are not able to eat like the rest of us. And when they do, it's not enough to put on weight.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 3:13 pm

There's a homeless guy who weighs about 250 pounds hanging out near my job.

It's true, though, that obesity is rare from amongst the homeless.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2021, 7:22 pm

i can tell you that when i dropped the weight my joints and feet felt a lot better. so the empirical fact of hauling around major excess weight simply causes more wear and tear on the ambulation parts of the body. being obese can't be good for the joints. also the excess fatty tissue has to have a blood supply, thereby taxing the heart more than in a person lacking said adipose tissue. also, according to dr. joel fuhrman et al, excess body fat leads to an acidic body Ph which leads to inflammation.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 7:30 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I do not understand the point much.
Except that cultures and eras have their own definition and standards of beauty and individual's personal attraction.

But how does one generalize and judge if being fat or skinny is either an individual's sign of health or symptom of illness?

From where I came from, it's usually a sign that someone can afford to eat -- possibly richer than average and also healthier than average.
But that's not the relevant issue of this thread.

Yet the negative stereotypes still prevails in the local media, the exclusions via standards are still practiced.

But the idea of fat shaming? I don't know. Unless someone is shaming anyone of being well fed.

Body comments are just very, very common -- I'm aware in other social standards and norms this is particularly evasive or even offensive.

According to the US terms and context, said norm of body commenting is practically a form of textbook body shaming.

Here, both being skinny and fat are equally teased, losing and gaining weight are also equally commented upon -- no different from noticing someone's shortening or lengthening of hair length.

To the culture where I came from, it is not insulting or offending; it's just facts along with this society's standards and just being social.
To the US context as far as I'm aware of, it is -- toxic and possibly very detrimental I imagine.

Now...
Being visibly fat and diabetes type 1 runs in my father's side of the family.
It is not from a form of lack of self control or laziness.
And all my dad's siblings had lovers and are all eventually got married.

Me and my sister didn't inherited that particular trait.
Because we got my mom's instead -- it has as if, my mom's side has this upper limit; being skinny fat at most -- it's not easy for me to gain weight because of that.

None of my mom's siblings are visibly fat.
My mom is in her late 50s now, and comparably looked like she's physically still in her 30s.
Yet they are all wary about high blood pressure.

... And I wouldn't know if I'm actually metabolically healthy or not based on my body weight and appearance unless it is closely checked.
Knowing my cognitive dives, energy issues and other whatever hormonal reaction, I'd bet I'm not.

Regardless, in any case...

If it comes down to it -- any movements or representative that simply forces the issue, namely shoving "acceptance" to my face -- well...
I'd just be annoyed.

But are people really fatshamed that much though anymore? It seems that there is always going to be the odd bullies, but no movement will make them change their minds, will it?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 3:39 am

auntblabby wrote:

I wish I could find my old clothes. Half of them would be too big and half of them would be too small. I've been 25 kg fatter and 25 kg thinner than I am now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 3:40 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I wish I could find my old clothes. Half of them would be too big and half of them would be too small. I've been 25 kg fatter and 25 kg thinner than I am now.

over the last 40 years my weight has fluctuated between 130# and 240#, a 110# variation! 8O