Racial Bias and Support For Foreign Conflict

Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Apr 2022, 1:11 pm

Fear is a common reaction to the unknown.
That includes other people.
Cultural differences mean you don't know what to expect.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 1:14 pm

^So for those who need to defend the peace.
There is no doubt that we need to let information flow to dispel fear.
Whether it's policy, language, or prejudice hindering the flow of information.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Apr 2022, 1:16 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
^So for those who need to defend the peace.
There is no doubt that we need to let information flow to dispel fear.
Whether it's policy, language, or prejudice hindering the flow of information.

Yes.
Very much.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 7:47 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I was under the impression Ammuuuria foreign policy had more to do with resources and economic benefits for the US.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 7:51 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I was under the impression Ammuuuria foreign policy had more to do with resources and economic benefits for the US.

So demonizing/alienating the object of a conflict of benefits seems like a lucrative option.
But this applies to many(most) political entities. It's just that we're focusing on the most influential of them for now in this thread.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 9:02 pm

magz wrote:

It doesn't make it right though.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 9:05 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yes this has been China's argument when they have been criticised for neo-colonial foreign interventions encroaching into non-aligned countries in Africa and the pacific. They turn around and say "The US has been doing it too". It's the same for carbon emissions. Pot calling the kettle black.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 9:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

"Is-ought problem"

Don't expect everyone else to be committed to being "right". Many people face more real survival problems than whether they are "right." To force them to be "right" is cruel and futile.

We are living in reality. So whoever wants fairness needs to work on fairness.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:07 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

"Is-ought problem"

Don't expect everyone else to be committed to being "right". Many people face more real survival problems than whether they are "right." To force them to be "right" is cruel and futile.

I am not sure you are familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs? once people's basic needs are met then they are in a position to take a stance/position on broader ethical/moral issues.

Simply choosing to be ignorant because other people in your community are ignorant is not very wise.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yes this has been China's argument when they have been criticised for neo-colonial foreign interventions encroaching into non-aligned countries in Africa and the pacific. They turn around and say "The US has been doing it too". It's the same for carbon emissions. Pot calling the kettle black.

All countries with "completely independent sovereignty" do this. Otherwise they risk losing "completely independent sovereignty".
All capitalists are greedy. A capitalist who is not greedy is soon no longer a capitalist.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

"Is-ought problem"

I am not sure you are familiar with Maslow's hierarchy of needs? once people's basic needs are met then they are in a position to take a stance/position on broader ethical/moral issues.

Simply choosing to be ignorant because other people in your community are ignorant is not very wise.

"basic needs are met" is not a condition that is met in many places.
Maybe your world can. But mine is not. Neither do other worlds.
Ethical/moral that isnt good for oneself is a luxury. This is exactly what Maslow's hierarchy of needs points out.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:15 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Ethical/moral is a luxury. This is exactly what Maslow's hierarchy of needs points out.

It is also not prescriptive. A psychiatrist named Frankel developed logotherapy whereby a person can transcend/overcome cognitive errors in their beliefs even when their situation circumstances are severe. Frankel himself was a concentration camp survivor in Nazi Germany and found he and other inmates could still achieve balance/some level of happiness even in the most extreme "hell" on earth,

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:15 pm

Many communists in power are greedy as well.

If they lose their greediness, they lose their power, even though they remain communists.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:17 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
All capitalists are greedy. A capitalist who is not greedy is soon no longer a capitalist.

Economic theory in neo-liberal economies requires that the individual is inherently selfish. In addition when businessmen achieve billionaire status they are able to give away 0.1% of their wealth and claim they are ethical and care for the community.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many communists authoritarian dictators in power are greedy as well.

If they lose their greediness, they lose their power, even though they remain communists.

Corrected it for you Kraftie

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Ethical/moral is a luxury. This is exactly what Maslow's hierarchy of needs points out.

It is also not prescriptive. A psychiatrist named Frankel developed logotherapy whereby a person can transcend/overcome cognitive errors in their beliefs even when their situation circumstances are severe. Frankel himself was a concentration camp survivor in Nazi Germany and found he and other inmates could still achieve balance/some level of happiness even in the most extreme "hell" on earth,

I have no doubt that there are individuals who can achieve that. But I am pessimistic about crowds.
In a concentration camp, all inmates face the same external pressure, so they tend to unite. It's easy for them to think they are "we".
But in a more complex environment, we as a whole prefer to make "them". And I seem to see this happening everywhere.