Racial Bias and Support For Foreign Conflict

Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:25 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
All capitalists are greedy. A capitalist who is not greedy is soon no longer a capitalist.

Economic theory in neo-liberal economies requires that the individual is inherently selfish. In addition when businessmen achieve billionaire status they are able to give away 0.1% of their wealth and claim they are ethical and care for the community.

This is exactly my claim.
There is no point in criticizing the "greed" of one/some "capitalists" when the rules are so. Although I'm equally not in favor of denying it.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 28 Apr 2022, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:26 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
But in a more complex environment, we as a whole prefer to make "them". And I seem to see this happening everywhere.

You have better insight into how societies than most on this forum.

In western culture we call this "zeitgiest" which is the prevailing preferences/beliefs/values of the time. As a group we organically know these preferences/beliefs/values and they pre-date the internet era.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 10:28 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
All capitalists are greedy. A capitalist who is not greedy is soon no longer a capitalist.

Economic theory in neo-liberal economies requires that the individual is inherently selfish. In addition when businessmen achieve billionaire status they are able to give away 0.1% of their wealth and claim they are ethical and care for the community.

There is no point in criticizing the "greed" of one/some "capitalists" when the rules are so. Although I'm equally not in favor of denying it.

These are challenges that we as individuals must choose to overcome. To quote movie character "Gordon Gecko" who was a fictional stock broker - the war cry of the neo-liberal capitalist is "Greed is good".

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 11:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:

These are challenges that we as individuals must choose to overcome. To quote movie character "Gordon Gecko" who was a fictional stock broker - the war cry of the neo-liberal capitalist is "Greed is good".

I choose so as an individual. But I have no passion for letting others choose that.
I am simply due to my personal moral cleanliness and mental health.

When the circumstances/rules are so, the system is actually weeding out individuals so chosen. So the individual's will seems to be practically irrelevant.
A new order may eventually be established within a country. But we already have so many failed experiments.
And the international order is likely to remain so forever. Even without taking into account that this would cost the country itself unsustainable, it would be unfair to sacrifice other citizens for the moral satisfaction of the ruler/majority.

cyberdad wrote:

Thanks. But I don't see any value in this other than adding suicidal tendencies to myself.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Apr 2022, 1:24 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Don't expect everyone else to be committed to being "right". Many people face more real survival problems than whether they are "right." To force them to be "right" is cruel and futile.
I very much agree with it and not only in the context of this thread.
One thing is putting heroes and saints on pedestal. Another thing is demanding being heroes and saints from everyone. It's indeed both futile and cruel.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 1:34 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Thanks. But I don't see any value in this other than adding suicidal tendencies to myself.

You have wisdom beyond your age.
It can be a heavy burden.

Last edited by Cornflake on 29 Apr 2022, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.: Fixed broken quoting

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2022, 1:36 am

magz wrote:
SkinnedWolf wrote:
Don't expect everyone else to be committed to being "right". Many people face more real survival problems than whether they are "right." To force them to be "right" is cruel and futile.
I very much agree with it and not only in the context of this thread.
One thing is putting heroes and saints on pedestal. Another thing is demanding being heroes and saints from everyone. It's indeed both futile and cruel.

The culture of "юродство"/"Foolishness for Christ" polluted my culture through Soviet communism. In particular, ancient Chinese culture itself had a similar tendency.
The role models that are created in this kind of cultures are so insane. And they try to make devotees feed only on honor.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Apr 2022, 2:15 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
The culture of "юродство"/"Foolishness for Christ" polluted my culture through Soviet communism. In particular, ancient Chinese culture itself had a similar tendency.
The role models that are created in this kind of cultures are so insane. And they try to make devotees feed only on honor.
Many cultures view mentally abnormal people as "touched by God/gods/spirits" and give them special treatment. I think юродство has this in its roots.
That said, there's enormous space for abuse of this belief when taken outside of the "village crazy man" context.
When spiritual leaders demand everyone to drop logic and their natural needs and feelings, the results can be literally evil.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>