Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 12:45 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Nah, I've done a very good job of explaining my position through the years. Nowhere in this thread did I give the slightest indication that I'm a Trump supporter. But I'm one by default simply because I don't like Biden or the Democrats.

It's absurd!

Well of course youve done a good job.

The fact that you failed to communicate your position to any of us doesnt mean that you have...failed to communicate your position to any of us. :lol:

I invite you to produce one comment I've ever made on this board that could be construed by
anyone with critical thinking skills that I support Trump. Just one!

Hello Veg!

I don't even read American politics on here but I know you don't love Trump.

It's weird how some people are so obsessed with the binary.

They forget people can be critical thinkers and dislike both men.

Americans have been so systematically programmed to play the lesser of two evils game for decades they just don't see another choice. I've come to the conclusion that there really isn't an electoral solution to our problems. The only candidates we're served are ones that will continue to perpetuate this corrupt state run by corporations.

It's not a model that can sustained very much longer if we study the history of fallen empires. We are in that late stage, unfortunately.

This makes me wonder to what extent citizens of a "democratic state" can influence policy? Or at what level can it be affected?
Or, which "democracies" are less like the United States?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 May 2022, 1:34 pm

On many issues, the gaps between the Democrats and Republicans are pretty large. In fact they're probably the biggest they have been for over a century. But there are big issues with the US system - it isn't at all proportional, it favours states over people, and smaller parties seem more interested in pageantry than in actually getting themselves elected (compare the US Libertarians to the UK Liberal Democrats for example).

The main advantage of the US system is that it's got quite a lot of devolution. You might not have much say over who becomes the President, but you have a lot of say over who gets elected to city council, or the school board. Some countries have a very strong federal government, but the US devolves substantial amounts of power to the states, who usually devolve to counties, who often devolve to municipalities.

That said, there's no doubt that voters in countries like the Netherlands are much more empowered. Proportional representation, organised minor parties, and lots of devolution.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 1:47 pm

SkinnedWolf,

In the past, there were movements that brought about positive, like the New Deal in the 1930s. I've been involved in a few grassroots movements that led to politicians backing away from bad policies.

It is possible .

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 3:29 pm

Am absolutely feeling ashamed of our President after reading the above posts :x .No fan of Trump but at least he was a Pro at what he did . But this Biden mistake … causes me to wonder why , there hasn’t been a hint of a recall of Biden .. am thinking a used car dealer has more diplomatic skills . :cry: .
What’s worse is Biden son Hunter has big investments in Ukraine :evil: .If they haven’t been bombed yet . :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:57 pm

MaxE wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I thought you were referring to Cuba.

Please study up on the history.

The Cuban crisis is part of history, is it not?
Please stay civil. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 6:59 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
JFK "blinked" also. only way to avoid blinking is to have foresight. very rare commodity, that. ronnie raygun was just lucky with the good timing that gorby came along when he did.

Perhaps, in an alternate universe.
In my dimension, it was the Soviets who blinked.

he gave up missiles in turkey so krusty would calm down.

I thought you were referring to Cuba.

the two were connected. krusty put missiles in its cuban client aimed north at us because we had missiles pointed towards the bear in turkey. simple as that.

I was under the impression the missiles never reached Cuba.
I guess I need history lessons. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 7:06 pm

magz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
JFK "blinked" also. only way to avoid blinking is to have foresight. very rare commodity, that. ronnie raygun was just lucky with the good timing that gorby came along when he did.

I prefer the risk of "blinking" over acting before thinking.

It is better not to blick at all.
"Strategic ambiguity" depends on it. 8)

Biden telling pootin Amurrria will tolerate a limited incursion into Ukraine was absolute insanity, imo.
My *guess* is that Biden was *briefed* that Amurrria's position would tolerate the taking of some parts of Ukraine, BUT HE WASN'T MEANT TO SAY IT, FFS!! ! :roll:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 7:12 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Nah, I've done a very good job of explaining my position through the years. Nowhere in this thread did I give the slightest indication that I'm a Trump supporter. But I'm one by default simply because I don't like Biden or the Democrats.

It's absurd!

Well of course youve done a good job.

The fact that you failed to communicate your position to any of us doesnt mean that you have...failed to communicate your position to any of us. :lol:

I invite you to produce one comment I've ever made on this board that could be construed by
anyone with critical thinking skills that I support Trump. Just one!

Hello Veg!

I don't even read American politics on here but I know you don't love Trump.

It's weird how some people are so obsessed with the binary.

They forget people can be critical thinkers and dislike both men.

Americans have been so systematically programmed to play the lesser of two evils game for decades they just don't see another choice. I've come to the conclusion that there really isn't an electoral solution to our problems. The only candidates we're served are ones that will continue to perpetuate this corrupt state run by corporations.

It's not a model that can sustained very much longer if we study the history of fallen empires. We are in that late stage, unfortunately.

I have said this for years.
If it wasn't for the corruption of the political aristocracy, on either side of the political divide, there would never have been a "Trump".

It is similar to:
Had there not been a "Treaty of Versailles", there would never have been a "Trump".
(The name has been changed to avoid activating "Godwins Law". :mrgreen: )

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 7:30 pm

Jakki wrote:
Am absolutely feeling ashamed of our President after reading the above posts :x .No fan of Trump but at least he was a Pro at what he did . But this Biden mistake … causes me to wonder why , there hasn’t been a hint of a recall of Biden .. am thinking a used car dealer has more diplomatic skills . :cry: .
What’s worse is Biden son Hunter has big investments in Ukraine :evil: .If they haven’t been bombed yet . :mrgreen:

His diplomacy is poor, yes.
I hope the Democrats can find a better candidate in the next election.
I'd hate to see a religious extremist dictate policies as the next President.

BTW, I am astounded at how some people are defending the indefensible.
Biden is not a good President.
This is not the same as saying Amurrria needs a Republican President at the next election.
Simply find someone more competent than Uncle Joe.
Not rocket surgery.
Well, not for me. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 9:54 pm

Quote:
President Joe Biden finally did it. The lackluster leader’s approval rating has fallen below every president of the modern era at this stage of their term.

Citing approval polling dating back to Harry S. Truman in 1945, FiveThirtyEight said that no president has been below, or even equal to, Biden’s average of 40.9% on Day 490 of their presidency.

Former Presidents Donald Trump, Bill Clinton, and Gerald Ford had lower average approval ratings at some stage early in their presidencies, but Biden has caught up, and today’s average was the first for which he was below all presidents since Truman, a potentially troubling trend as Democrats ready for the midterm elections.

Source: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-secrets/day-490-biden-approval-falls-below-every-modern-president

Data, for those interested:
Quote:
FiveThirtyEight’s list of presidential approval at day 490:

Joe Biden 40.9%
Donald Trump 42.7%
Barack Obama 48%
George W. Bush 72%
Bill Clinton 50.9%
George H.W. Bush 65%
Ronald Reagan 45%
Jimmy Carter 43.1%
Gerald Ford 44.2%
Richard Nixon 57.1%
Lyndon B. Johnson 68.7%
John F. Kennedy 74%
Dwight Eisenhower 61.3%
Harry S. Truman 43.1%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/
It's interesting to look at how volatile some of the approval ratings for past presidents have been (large jumps and drops) compared to others.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2022, 10:11 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Quote:
President Joe Biden finally did it.

Some people have been pointing out the obvious, that Uncle Joe isn't performing well, for some time, now.
Credibility coinage suffers when people try to defend the indefensible. 8)

I am still happy with AUKUS, however.
I am not a "binary" person. ;)