Response to "If you are a white person... "

Page 2 of 17 [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 8:52 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So?  White people are finally starting to learn that being pre-judged for the color of their skin is as painful as a slap in the face.  This was one of the many bones of contention between myself and the people of my parents' generation -- they had enjoyed their "White Privileges" for so long that the merest hint of equality with non-whites felt like a threat to them.
Not white people. Rather, a specific group of white people. A group of people that get neither the privileges non-whites assume they get or the equality from their fellow whites.
This thread is still about a primarily white v. non-white issue.  Drop any mention of race whatsoever, and start a more rational discussion on how people with AS/ASD are being discriminated against no matter what the color of their skin may be.  "If you are a white person..." is too narrow of a topic.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kuze
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2021, 9:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So?  White people are finally starting to learn that being pre-judged for the color of their skin is as painful as a slap in the face.  This was one of the many bones of contention between myself and the people of my parents' generation -- they had enjoyed their "White Privileges" for so long that the merest hint of equality with non-whites felt like a threat to them.
Not white people. Rather, a specific group of white people. A group of people that get neither the privileges non-whites assume they get or the equality from their fellow whites.
This thread is still about a primarily white v. non-white issue.  Drop any mention of race whatsoever, and start a more rational discussion on how people with AS/ASD are being discriminated against no matter what the color of their skin may be.  "If you are a white person..." is too narrow of a topic.

I agree, the moment you start making assumptions about one race or another, you are heading into deep water. In this day and age, we should all treat each other fairly and celebrate our uniqueness without prejudice.

kuze

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 9:31 pm

kuze wrote:
I agree, the moment you start making assumptions about one race or another, you are heading into deep water. In this day and age, we should all treat each other fairly and celebrate our uniqueness without prejudice.

kuze

Actually, both race and neurotype are key factors in how a person is both perceived and treated in life. I applaud the bi-racial user who sees both sides of the coin. I would say that while a stigma against mental illness exists everywhere, it probably is amplified among black folks. So I understand when black Aspies are terrified of getting a diagnosis for the stigma it may receive within the black community. That's a general issue that's even more prominent among blacks, so it's part of the black NT-AS divide.

As far as the topic of this thread, it's mainly about the white NT-AS divide and how non-whites really can't tell the difference. The assumption is all whites are the same.

I remember there was a black guy I used to work with at a grocery store. We got along, but he'd often say things like, "Oh, you're a perfectly good white guy," his facetious way of saying"you're a regular white person who isn't overtly racist, but gets privilege I don't." He was the most in shock why the perfectly good white managers made me a scapegoat, even saying something like, "I don't get it, I thought it was supposed to be the Aryan Brotherhood here, why are they going after you??"

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2021, 10:17 pm

The whole point of this topic is specifically about this stupid and poorly informed list I keep seeing idiot posting across the Internet. It is specifically directed at white people, so I responded to it by highlighted all the ways it is completely wrong about white people.

Again, this is not a thread about debunking white privilege. I am very much aware that, even as a disabled/neurodivergent person, I still have privileges that minorities do not in many contexts. And even though I am bi-racial (half my family is Libyan) I still appear as white. But that still doesn't mean what the woke group think mob thinks it means. I have been abused psychology, physically, and emotionally at various points in my life. I have experienced employment discrimination because of my autism, resulting in unemployment and homelessness several different times. And I have been struggling with major depression and suicidality for most of my life.

I am aware of the very long history of social injustice toward people of color. But two wrongs do not make a right. I have never mistreated or made any presumptions about anyone based on their race or skin color. And I do not deserve to have the same done to me simply because some other person who is not me and has no connection to me did so and we both happen to share one specific superficial characteristic of your choosing.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 3:45 am

^^Yes, white privilege is real. And if I were a black dude with Asperger's, I'd probably have been shot dead by now. However, the PoC posting those things don't understand the white caste system. And the whites who re-post those things don't even factor in the whites folks they help to disenfranchise. I know what it's like to be in your shoes.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 6:07 am

The funny thing is that whenever I've been attacked by woke cultists in real life, it's always been white people. All the people of color I've known have always been very friendly toward me and anyone else who treats them with dignity and respect. And I infer from that the majority of the online woke mob is more than like white as well.

Operah Winfrey is a notable exception. But what people need to realize is that, despite her race or gender, she is first and foremost of the elite wealthy class. The game of the elite 1% (including Operah) is to keep the exploited working class constantly in-fighting and at each other's throats so that none of us ever realize who our true common enemy is. By pitting black against white, man against woman, queer against straight, etc. They whisper in the ears of people of color "look at those entitled white people whining about how hard they have it when they're so privileged" while simultaneously whispering in the ears of poor white people "look at all those people of color who have the audacity to call you privileged when you have nothing."

In fact, I have a suspicion that the 1% had a hand in engineering the current civil unrest and the rise of the fanatical mobs on both of the extreme ends of the political spectrum.

Last edited by dorkseid on 13 Sep 2021, 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

kuze
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2021, 6:17 am

I'm not white, brown or black or any other stereotypical designation designed by other humans and dont wish to be identified as such. Humans cite many reasons to justify racism, I accept none. I believe humans have a history of creating reasons to oppress or kill other humans, racism like religion is one such reason. I choose not to accept racism against any animal including humans without exception. When a human is born, that human is not responsible for the past. However, during a lifetime, humans have an opportunity to make a difference in the future. I make that difference by not accepting racism against any other animals including humans regardless of their human designation.

'When we see our uniqueness as a virtue, only then do we find peace'

Diasuke Aramaki

kuze

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 6:17 am

dorkseid wrote:
The funny thing is that whenever I've been attacked by woke cultists in real life, it's always been white people. All the people of color I've known have always been very friendly toward me and anyone else who treats them with dignity and respect. And I infer from that the majority of the online woke mob is more than like white as well.

Fnord wrote:
Check your facts. I am white.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 6:25 am

kuze wrote:
I'm not white, brown or black or any other stereotypical designation designed by other humans and dont wish to be identified as such. Humans cite many reasons to justify racism, I accept none. I believe humans have a history of creating reasons to oppress or kill other humans, racism like religion is one such reason. I choose not to accept racism against any animal including humans without exception. When a human is born, that human is not responsible for the past. However, during a lifetime, humans have an opportunity to make a difference in the future. I make that difference by not accepting racism against any other animals including humans regardless of their human designation.

'When we see our uniqueness as a virtue, only then do we find peace'

Diasuke Aramaki

kuze

Excellent post. I strongly agree. I never had any personal attachment to a white identity; that's the label given to me by society. I am actually half-Libyan, but I am perceived as "white" because of my skin color.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2021, 6:38 am

dorkseid wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

Fnord wrote:
Check your facts. I am white.

I’ve been called a white n****r so many times by friends (what few I did have) and family that I’ve cut ties with most of them. To be truthful, I got along better with the minorities than I did with the Caucasian neurotypical jackasses I have contended with.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 6:55 am

Either you adhere to 100% of Fnord's woke dogma or you're a white supremacist.

Quote:
A false dilemma, also referred to as false dichotomy, is an informal fallacy based on a premise that erroneously limits what options are available. The source of the fallacy lies not in an invalid form of inference but in a false premise. This premise has the form of a disjunctive claim: it asserts that one among a number of alternatives must be true. This disjunction is problematic because it oversimplifies the choice by excluding viable alternatives.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 8:36 am

I can relate to a lot of what the OP posted. I mean, where is all this 'privilege' I'm supposed to have just for being a white male?

I'm poor, autistic, and I suffer from a diagnosed mental illness that requires me to be on medication for the rest of my life.

I can't even pay my own bills, get a job, drive a car, or do anything on my own because I need a payee like my mom to watch over me. I feel very limited in the choices I am allowed to make in life. I would hardly call myself 'privilaged'. :roll:

♤ The Military

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 8:39 am

And 'Here' 'lies' a Major Issue of Autism

And that is Issues With Cognitive Empathy...

Walking in the Shoes of Others That yes Is Possible

to A Great Extent for Those Who Don't Believe it is...

IF they Haven't
Ever Developed
A Greater Ability
for Cognitive Empathy...

Obviously, the Generalization of
White Privileges in the List Doesn't

Apply to Disabled Folks; that's A Given
That "Normally" Folks With Common Sense

Of Cognitive Empathy Understand... An Unspoken

Rule if You Will; Better Put, if You CAN Understand;

Some Folks Cannot Understand; And This is why

Autism is Considered A Deficit of Cognitive Functioning
For Disability Purposes in the United States in Text Book Law For Disability...

Deficits in Cognitive Empathy Are Deficits in Human Potential For Navigating the
Human Social Empathic Environment; And Of Course This is How Autism is in Part
Generally Scanned For With Simon Baron Cohen's Autism Quotient Test as it Simply

Measures Systemizing Mind
Behaviorally Now Opposed
to Social Empathic Cognitive
Mind And Associated Cognitive
And Affective Empathy That Ranges

From Difficulty Putting Ourselves in Someone
Else's Shoes to Treating Other Human Beings Like
Objects to Be Used in the Environment; All Assessed in Scientific Literature...

Not Being Able to Grasp The Bigger Pictures of Life; Yes the Metaphors as
Well That Fortunately After 61 Years i've Finally Been Able to Master as
There are not Many Challenges Discussed on this Internet Site for Folks
With Autism that i Haven't Struggled Against in some Part of my Life; Yes,

The Difference Between Someone

With a So-Called IQ of 160, Not

Able to Understand Poetic Language

And A 17 Year-Old Girl From South
Africa Who Doesn't Just Have "Left
Brained Intelligence" As Metaphor
For Systemizing Thought Without

All the Colors of Life that Make Up

The Human HeART; Yes, With Arts
of Life Over Common 'STEM Major' Stereotypes...

It's Just as Obvious that the OP IS NOT A 'WHITE
SUPREMECIST'; it's the Same Kind of Deficit of Mind

That Would

Come to
That Conclusion too...

Typical of Black And
White All or Nothing Thinking

Without The Nuances, The Colors
of Life That Come Through Cognitive Empathy...

And In General, Larger Picture Ways of Seeing
Life With More Colors of the Human Experience...

Good News is There is Room For Improvement as
We Human Beings All Possess Incredible Epigenetic
Potential that is Untapped... Sticking With Labels

And Believing

You Can't

Escape them

is One Sure Way

of Disbelief and

Automatic Future Failure
For Improving and Having
A More Satisfying Colorful
Life, Of Course if that is what
You Want; As Some Folks Inherently
Refuse to Change too that is Inherent of the Issue at Hand as well...

The Views On this Internet Site Are Often 'Colored' By 'Black And White Think'...

There Will Always Be that Natural Bias; As That is Part of What This Site

Naturally Supports,

Unwitting
Or Not;

It is what
is is, Just

Another Part
of the Diversity

of Humankind and

To Be Clear Now that i've
Gotten over the More Difficult

Issues associated with Autism;

All i See is real Human SuperNormal

Abilities; That's What Ya Do In Life Best, You Shed
Away the Chaff and Keep the Wheat if You can and will...

If Not,

It's

Simple

Karma, You Do Not...

First Step to take is Change...

Autism is a Seriously Disabling

Condition; Often When Folks

Don't Even Have An Idea

Why Life is so Hard;

Been there

Done it

And Overcome a Lot of it...

Yet Sure, Some Days are
Still a Challenge to me...

i Never Give Up; i Never Give Up....

For me i've Come to See Naysayers

As Just Gnats on my Fourth of July Always Holidays of Freedom...

And This is What it Means to Self-Advocate; Yeah, Baby, toot your own horn...

Don't Wait

For Someone

Else to Affirm Your Worth...

It's Not Necessary, unless they
Are all that Stands Between Life or Death of Life and Soul...

i no Longer Find Anyone with Power Like that Over me for
i have learned to Be Whole, Complete, and Enough With

A Few
Close
Folks
To Receive
Love From For Real...

Even A Village of the
World Now 'these days', i CHOOSE...

Online iS A VEry Big Ocean for the
Otherwise Opressed to Find Company of Allies...

And In This Way STEM Majors; Yes, the Drones, Like me at
Points in my Life, The Geeks, The Nerds, The 'Incels' Who

Made Online Possible

In Pursuit of Downloading 'Pretty Birds' As Fast and Free
As Possible Who would never tell them no again; True, They

Receive a lot of Thanks From Me too; For Providing Avenues to meet

People

Capable

of Even

Being

FRiEnDS with
Someone as

Different as Me...

No Stranger to me or them now...

Just takes a Few Thousand Times
Circling the Globe to Find them in
A 'Fantasy' That's Real Now for me... at least...

Rarely here; And That's Okay as Haha, Ironically
For Most of the Last 8 Years i've been too 'Neurodiverse'

To Be Even Be Allowed to Exist on A Site for the 'Neurodiverse'...

Yet This Internet

Site Is Also

Evolving

in Understanding
The Different Among
'Us' More; And That's
Called Real Success in Life
For All of us; Yes, Cognitive Empathy;

Not Everyone Sees and Does the World the Same as 'me'...

And When You Become a so-called 'Veteran' of 'This Site'

It Provides a Best 'Medicine' for 'the Condition', Simply Being

Exposed to More Views of Life; And Indeed, i surely bring

THAT (this) Reality,

HeHe...

EVERY
WhERE
i Travel Now...

It's What Life is
About Greater Evolving
More than Staying Same...

(A G H O G D A Y
'Another Ground
Hog Day' When
i first came here in
2010, And Every Day Felt
Pain and Numb Same With
No Colors of Life to
Feel And 'See' AND LOVE)

Even If We Don't wanna; We
Still Change With Every Inhale
And Exhale of Breath; Whether it is
Fearless Peace and Love or Some 'Other Place'...

Like THAT

Old Aghogday...

And to Be Clear This Is Surely Not
Specific to Only Autism; As We Live

In A More Systemizing World Now than
ever before; Ultimate Revenge of the Nerds
Hehe; As Now We Are Largely Relegated to

Virtual Online Worlds As 'Avatars' Designed

By Minds

The 'Gates'

And The 'Zuckerbergs'

Of the World; Yet By the

Same 'Token' For Those Who

Don't Remain Blinded By the
Those on Social Media Who Think
More Like Them; There is Room For

The Whole World To Evolve With Cognitive
Empathy In Understanding How Other Humans
Walk In Their Shoes too; A Pre-requisite, if the

Human

Species

Is Gonna

Even Survive;

As Loving Ways of
Understanding Each
Other As Science Shows

Is All that has Ironically

Brought us to this place

Where Strife Has Risen Higher in Folk's Minds...

i Don't Welcome 'Strife' in my Mind; i've Learned to Separate
It and That is a Skill That is a Most Important one to really Thrive in life...

Yet in General, on the Spectrum, It's almost Like Becoming an 'NFL Star' in Difficulty...

Yet

Possible...

-Michael Jordan...

Lebron James

Tom Brady

And Fred...

i Just Don't get Paid for it, hehe...

To Be Clear That's Just a Joke (Maybe)..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 8:57 am

Quote:
Online iS A VEry Big Ocean for the
Otherwise Opressed to Find Company of Allies.

Unfortunately it's also an ocean filled with sharks and toxic sludge.

♤ The Military

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 8:58 am

dorkseid wrote:
Either you adhere to 100% of Fnord's woke dogma or you're a white supremacist.
Quote:
A false dilemma, also referred to as false dichotomy, is an informal fallacy based on a premise that erroneously limits what options are available. The source of the fallacy lies not in an invalid form of inference but in a false premise. This premise has the form of a disjunctive claim: it asserts that one among a number of alternatives must be true. This disjunction is problematic because it oversimplifies the choice by excluding viable alternatives.
What "woke" dogma?  Pre-judging people on the basis of their race is racist prejudice.  Nothing "woke" about it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 10:01 am

I certainly don't identify as "white." I identify more as "Jewish" than I do as "white." As a "New Yorker" even more than as "Jewish" or "white."

There is no such thing as a "white" ethnic group. There are many ethnic groups diametrically opposed to each other who fall under the umbrella of the "white race."

At times, I've been the recipient of "white privilege." But I didn't get my job through "white privilege." In fact, my present, and many previous supervisors have been black, and one of my ex-managers was Hispanic.

There remains lots of discrimination based on race----but it's not like it used to be. Work still needs to be done---but it's not like progress hasn't been made.

I've been followed around in stores because I used to dress pretty sloppily.

When somebody mentions "white" as being of a monolithic ethnic group or culture, I get sort of suspicious.