Propaganda vans [probably trigger warning, I am triggered]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Oct 2021, 10:55 am

I heard about them before but today I encountered it for the first time.
I only heard it, didn't see. It probably was at the bigger street but I could hear it from the distance.
A van spewing horrible anti-LGBT propaganda, accusing LGBT people of things like raping children... just pure hate.
Officially, they are private, run by some pro-life (sic!) organization, but when the city wanted to ban them, "higher instances" defended them.
I couldn't think of anything different than - probably things like this you could hear about Jews in the 1930s Germany.

Now I'm really scared.

Together with the slippery slope of deconstructing the foundations of the state laws, breaking human rights near the border, limiting media freedom, row with EU... where will we end up? Poor and isolated? Worse?

30 years of building a reasonable state is getting trashed.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 12:35 pm

Maybe this has something to do with it...

Riding support from Poland's right-wing populist Law and Justice Party and the local Roman Catholic clergy, nearly 100 provinces and municipalities in 2019 passed symbolic resolutions declaring themselves "LGBT-free."

But two years later, and the central government is asking them to repeal those declarations after the European Union threatened to cut off millions of euros in funding to local and provincial governments that took an anti-LGBT stance.  By doing so, they may be in violation of the EU's regulations against discrimination due to sexual orientation, the European Commission says...

Source:
 This NPR Article 

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Oct 2021, 12:45 pm

Greed probably is our only chance - EU suspended quite a lot of fundings because of judiciary "reform" that makes our judical system almost directly dependent on the ruling party.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/le ... 021-10-21/
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eu ... 021-10-27/
By the "independence" rhetorics used by our ruling party to oppose these decisions, I wonder when will we get simply kicked out of EU.
Unless greed for EU funds wins.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 8:03 pm

if it's any consolation, Poland is not alone on this path.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 12:25 pm

magz wrote:
I wonder when will we get simply kicked out of EU.

They'll never kick you out. They might, however, make things so uncomfortable that leaving will seem less painful.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 6:28 pm

I’m sorry you’re living under these sorts of conditions, Magz.

What would happen if you called the police on these idiots?

I believe being in the EU, and the threat of being unwanted there might spur the government or police to action.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 11:45 pm

I would be worried that I would be arrested there if I criticized the Duda regime there.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2021, 4:03 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I would be worried that I would be arrested there if I criticized the Duda regime there.
Luckily, we're not there yet.
Btw, Duda is a puppet, the real one behind this is Kaczyński - and there are speculations about him being a gay in self-denial - the most agressive kind of homophobe.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m sorry you’re living under these sorts of conditions, Magz.

What would happen if you called the police on these idiots?

I believe being in the EU, and the threat of being unwanted there might spur the government or police to action.
People were calling the police on them. I didn't track the topic too closely but it looks like these vans are still there.
I live two blocks away from the bigger street so I'm usually not really exposed to such things. It's generally quiet here. This time I heard them from some distance when walking with my children... I had to explain to them quite a lot of horrible things.
Crazy times.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 10:54 am

It would be very tempting to wait for these vans to drive under bridges and "accidentally" cause objects to strike them. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 12:30 pm

Never understood why pro-life is considered a right-wing opinion. Seems very inconsistent with their other views.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Oct 2021, 2:09 pm

Ettina wrote:
Never understood why pro-life is considered a right-wing opinion. Seems very inconsistent with their other views.
Because it's the other way around: right-wing uses pro-life rhetorics for political gain. At least here.
In an interview with a genuine pro-lifer, she was all like - hey, but it had to be different, there had to be support first, lots of support, that doesn't make sense the way they do it.
Well, I agree with her.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm

Ettina wrote:

In the U.S., "pro-life" is a misnomer. It's only used when stating opposition to abortion, never for opposition to the death penalty or war, or for anything that actually improves peoples' lives.

Pro-life = anti-abortion, nothing more.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!