"Gift of singleness" vs "Gift of aspieness"

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 9:36 am

QFT wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I was under the impression that Church of Christ is Protestant. It certainly isn’t Roman Catholic.

I was under the same impression as you.

I don't think Texasmoneyman ever said otherwise.

We dont consider ourselves Protestant but Catholics and Protestants believe we are Protestant.I dont identify as a Protestant.Also the Protestant Work Ethic thing kind of reminds me of the Prosperity Gospel and how wealth and prosperity was regarded as a sign of Gods favor in Pre-Christian Jewish Times if you were doing things God's way.But I do think there is some truth to the Protestant work ethic because if you work hard for decades and and invest and let compound interest work its magic you will have a good and prosperous life financially.We consider ourselves New Testament Christian not Catholic or Protestant.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 11 Dec 2021, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 9:40 am

QFT wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I dont consider waiting on Jesus to be self deception because I think I just need to work on myself and get a job and get my own money

So are you saying that the concept of "waiting on Jesus" includes being proactive about things (such as earling money etc)? Because thats not the way I took it. I took it as in sitting back, doing nothing, and just "waiting". Thats why it sounded like an excuse.

I am not talking about doing nothing.I am talking about how people tell me Jesus will put the right woman in my life after I get done working on myself and get a good job like maybe as a banker and financier or at a oil company office and get established in my career.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 2:06 am

One of my favourite protestant ideas is predestination. The idea that the saved and the damned are chosen in advance and that no one can change this predetermined fate. Who was chosen to receive salvation is known only to God himself but you will know these people by their hard work and by their thrift.

So you're trying to know a thing that can be known only by God himself? Ok. Of course people will work harder and be more frugal so they can exhibit the signs by which it will be known that they are among the saved.

So not only are they trying to know a thing that can be known only by God himself, they're trying to change the predestined future while believing in predestination by changing their behavior to make it so that they were already going to have been about to get the future they want.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 2:48 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
One of my favourite protestant ideas is predestination. The idea that the saved and the damned are chosen in advance and that no one can change this predetermined fate. Who was chosen to receive salvation is known only to God himself but you will know these people by their hard work and by their thrift.

So you're trying to know a thing that can be known only by God himself? Ok. Of course people will work harder and be more frugal so they can exhibit the signs by which it will be known that they are among the saved.

So not only are they trying to know a thing that can be known only by God himself, they're trying to change the predestined future while believing in predestination by changing their behavior to make it so that they were already going to have been about to get the future they want.

Ya thats kind of the essence of Dave-Ramsey like Christian financial management like with saving working hard for 40 years helping others and living on less than you make and investing in a index fund and give a tithe and/or offering every sunday on a regular basis and leaving your kids and grandkids an inheritance and not going crazy with bad debt you have God's favor in your finances and you will be a millionaire in retirement and you are American and maybe have a house with a mortage id much like Predestination.Christian financial management could be considered part of Predestination.However I dont fullly agree with Predestination.I believe more in free will but I kind of believe in Predestination too.My family are great examples of the theory of Christian financial predestination because my grandfather was a dropout worked hard doing manual labor for decades and died a multi-millionaire and he was smart with money because he gave and did not go into too much bad debt.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 12 Dec 2021, 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 4:05 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I believe more in free will but I kind of believe in Predestination too.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. You can have free will in predestination. You can choose to do what you want and your choices will be what was always going to happen. They are still your choices.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 4:14 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I believe more in free will but I kind of believe in Predestination too.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. You can have free will in predestination. You can choose to do what you want and your choices will be what was always going to happen. They are still your choices.

Ya thats been basically how I have always looked at it.Its a mix of Calvinism and Armininism which is the belief in free will exclusively.I never really considered myself a religious Protestant but I have always been a cultural Evangelical and fundamentalist Protestant in my personal non-church life even though i am church of Christ.One time i saw a video of church of Christ member talking on youtube and he got excommunicatied or left over believing in Predestination and not Armininism exclusively and being a Calvinist.I have always considered myself more of a Calvinist who believes in Predestination in that respect.Even if they were two contradicting beliefs they could still be believed by the same person if they were in cognitive dissonence.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:23 am

I personally think most things are just a fluke and you've got to make the most of it.

If I run into someone I connect with and we both fancy each other that's a fluke. If I don't. Same. I don't think God micromanages us that much. I think he dignifies us with free will and we can ask for and follow his guidance to make the best of what we come across in life or not follow it if we want and try our best that way.

Some people really don't want a relationship, so choose it and feel it is a gift. Others feel like they need a romantic attachment and choose that if they can. If they can't find anyone, then they try and make the best of their circumstances, possibly trying to view it as a gift to focus on the positives of their freedom and what they can do with it

I find putting celibacy on a plinth a bit much, but then people do that with marriage too. You've got to find your own way and make the best of it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:29 am

Nope. No predestination for me. No religion, either.

I wish I had the freedom of being single again. My wife is too much into cursing these days; it makes me want to leave her.

I might not have 20 years to live. I don’t want to live in a environment where I have to walk on eggshells.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 5:39 pm

"Just leave her" they say. They say that all day. But it's not always so easy.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
My wife is too much into cursing these days; it makes me want to leave her.

You mean she's growing more foul-mouthed? Or she's getting into voodoo dolls and stuff? Because if it's the latter you don't want to leave her...

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:16 pm

On predestination I'm quite enamoured of the idea that everything is predestined and the work of the higher brain is mainly retroactively justifying what just happened as the result of a 'choice' we made.

I also like to think that our lives are little time loops and when we die we are immediately born again into the same life and some of our consciousness hangs over for a few seconds and that's why we scream...

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2021, 11:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish I had the freedom of being single again. My wife is too much into cursing these days; it makes me want to leave her.

I might not have 20 years to live. I don’t want to live in a environment where I have to walk on eggshells.

Paul Simon had like, I don't know, fifty ideas on how to leave. That was for fun - this is not: I'm sorry you're in this position. I know how uncomfortable walking on eggshells can be.

QFT: I'd like to respond but you've done something here that makes it difficult to do so. Let me show you what I'm talking about, please.

QFT wrote:
Yes I been told things along this line too, but this time I am not alone: I read that plenty of others view "gift" of singleness as an oppression tool.

You have read that many hold the opinion that the 'gift of singleness' is being used as an oppression tool. Okay. Many people hold this opinion, I can buy that. Many people also hold the opposite opinion. Having an opinion is a right - but it doesn't make that person right.

QFT wrote:
This brings me to make the following point: do you think that the concept of "gift of aspieness" is just as damaging as "gift of signleness"?

Do you see your leap of logic here? You went from, "I hold this opinion and so do others" to assuming we share this opinion. And then you ask us if we believe that there is a logical equivalency between the damaging 'gift of singleness' (you've assumed we agreed that its damaging) with the 'gift of aspieness' - which by the way, leaves me out as I'm level two, but whatever. Then, before we can answer...

QFT wrote:
In fact they are parallel: "gift of aspieness" pertains to both friendship and romantic aspects, while "gift of singleness" focuses more on a romantic things. But in both cases the person is telling the OTHER PERSON that they ahve a "gift" yet their OWN behavior shows they don't really mean it, since they won't be wishing that kind of "gift" for themselves.

You tell us what we think.

In my opinion - your mileage may vary, everything can be a gift and everything can be a curse. Our attitudes determine which it is. I am single and it has been a gift. It has allowed me to focus on myself and improve both my mental and physical health. It has also given me the space necessary to grow. The circumstances of being born with autism was not something that I had a choice on but I do have a choice on how I view it. I view it as a gift as well. Truth is, had I been 'normal' and grew up in the world I did, I'd have probably turned out just like the kids that tortured me daily throughout my school years. Though both options might suck, given a choice to be a bully or a victim of a bully, I'd rather be the one who was bullied. It was tough but if the alternative was that I'd be the one hurting people, I'm glad it worked out this way. In that way, my autism is a gift.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Dec 2021, 4:22 am

hurtloam wrote:
I've jokingly said, "oh is that so, can I get the receipt so I can exchange it"

I agree with Fnord, but I think that when most people say it they are not thinking too deeply about it and just trying to be positive and they're saying it because they just don't know what to say to help. They're not keeping you down, they're just throwing what they think is a positive thought at you.

This is what we call a platitude.

"You're weird, but I get on ok with you ok, so just be yourself, I don't know what else to say, try to enjoy being single," that's their thought process.
Most of the people who used phrases like "Just be yourself" with me found me very frustrating & annoying to deal with. They just wanted me to shut up because they were tired of me bringing them down. It did NOT help them nor me because I kept complaining until I eventually realized that it was better for all of us if I moved on & found other people who were more accepting & understanding & more willing to listen to me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 10:52 am

So Do 'You' Want "the Red Pill Or

Blue Pill"; i Probably Should Have

Skipped 'The Movie' And Continued

Writing my Own Story Creating the

Dance And Song

As i Go With
Relative Free Will;
Yes, the Green Pill
of Creating Our Own Play of
Life that Oh By the Way is Already
My New Year's Resolution, #Play2022

Where the Tag is Literally a Literary Device

As When One Remains in Autotelic Flow Meditating
Contemplating a Story and Play They Play, They Do THeiR Own

MaKinG

Of A Crown
And A Throne

As Literally What they
Make of Life As KinG
And Or Queen, Yes Director
Serving It All Up For Free At Best
Giving, Sharing, Caring, Healing,
iNhaling Peace Exhaling LoVE iN
JoY oF LiGHT For All With Least

Harm as the Whole Process Becomes
'Real God' inDeeD of Verb For All That i Do

Yet of Course This Is Version 1.6.8 of my 'Matrix

Story'; True, i Am Not Single as Being 'Neo' in Version
1.6.8 Alone is Just No Fun to me So One Becomes

Two; Yet i Don't Wanna Spoil the Rest of my Movie

or the Other 'one' Ever Hehe as True i Rather my

Play Be A Mystery

Even unto me;

For True, THere is
Already Unlimited Numbers

to add in 'Decimal Points' for the

'Golden PHI Ratio' of 1.618034 and So

On; True, it Doesn't Match up in Anyway

Causally Yet What Synchronicity Brings Now;

AnyWay, So, So Far, Do 'You' See This is my Unique

Gift of So-Called "Aspieness;" True Not All View it as

Gift, Some View it the Way the General Audience Pegged

The Matrix Movie 4 as Basically Chaos too Hard to Follow As Story Line to them...

Yet You See, This is What Keeps Autotelic Flow in a Sweet Spot of Heaven Within

A More Perfect

Spiral Ratio

Tween the
Distance Between
Apathy and Anxiety Indeed

In Over ALL Increasing Potential
of Complexity Effortless in Ease

FRiEnDS With Gravity Balancing

THiS WaY

And to Explain the Version 1.6.8
For What That Basically Means Is i Am
Currently Writing my Own Matrix Overall

Version of 1 That is "SonG oF mY SoUL"

And to make it Just a Tiny Bit Easier to

Understand in Biblical Terms That is the

HouSinG of mY Current Overall Bible EPiC
Long Form Poem of my Current Matrix Now too;

In Other Words, A Culture of one i Create For myself

As Quite Honestly i've Circled The Entire Globe And
If Anyone Really Wanted me as Part of Their 'Club';

Basically, i Have Failed to Be A Unique Creator in this Life;
In Other Words, No Thanks As the Second Number in my

Overall Version Now of my Matrix Creating 1.6.8 Is the 6th

Generation of A "Grand Cross Bible" i Am About to Complete

Named "Grand Cross Bible 2021;" Yes A New Decimal Pointed

Sixth Generation of Overall "SonG oF mY SoUL" EPiC Longest 10 MiLLioN
Word Long Form Bible Poem in 'Grand Cross Bibles' Every Year for 6 Years

From Memorial Day Weekend Through New Year's Eve in 7 Months, Yes, Each Year

That are Literally Longer in Words And Way Longer in Dance than that
"Old King James Sized Effort" For Dam Sure Now Every Year Then From
2016 to This Year's Iteration 2021; And Where the Decimal Point Place

8 Comes into Play

is the 8th Generation

Revision New Testament

That i Actually Create on

'The Wrong Planet' Named

"Depth of The Story" to Show

How i Do Create My Own 'Matrix' on Earth
In and Out of All the Other Cultures (Matrixes)

Around the World That Most Folks are Prisoner,

Slave, or Willing Customer of Consuming Those

Cultures; Yes, Different Versions of Matrixes Spoon-

Fed From Birth That Honestly All of them Would Make

me Wanna Vomit A Little Bit in my Mouth, if i Was Strictly

Following Any of the Other

Matrixes Humans
Create in Cultural

Ways Around the World;

And Indeed, This is A Gift

oF AN Outcast and This General Story is

Common in Other Cultural Matrixes indeed

As Buddha in that Story Outcasts Himself From
the Matrix He is Born in And Finds A Tree to Meditate Under
And Contemplate Existence Becoming One with Nature Free; Yes,

And the Story of Jesus Does the Same in the Desert As Well Finding
And Defeating His Inner Demons too and Returning as Most 'Joseph
Campbell Archetypal Heroes' Do to Spread 'The Good News' of Epiphanies

Learned By Crossing

The River Styx

So Far Below

All Matrixes

And Culture

Touching Deepest

Ancestral Resources

Inherited Within From Birth...

It's Kinda Hard to Do that as the
Star Football Quarterback Moving
Directly into College and a Business

Oriented Job in Cold Mechanical Cognition

So Far Away from More Holistic Views that

Less Left Brain Processing And More Right
Brain Processing of Reality Allows so Naturally

InDeed So True

Better in Some
Ways to Be Bullied
And Called Names

And If You Are Lucky
to Forgo Any Physical
Kind of Bullying, Although
Psychological Bullying Can
And Will Get Kinda Tough as Outcast

As Lord Knows, 'Neo' Just Won't Work Alone

As We aRe Evolved as Social Animals Where

The One Must Become Two At Least Again

Trying Not Provide Any Spoilers Now For

the Matrix Version 4.0 At the Theater

And What Ya Have to pay 15 Bucks

For on HBO Max to See Yet Ya Better

Have Attention Spans like me

to keep Up that's

The Only

Hint i Will Provide hehe...

It's Really Not Designed for
The Average Human Attention
Span of Less than a Gold Fish
of Less Than 3 Seconds as Science
Assesses the Average Human Being Now;

Yet You See, No Doubt the Creator of that Matrix

Movie Was Outcast in Some Ways And Experienced

Substantial Trauma of Bullying in Life And that Does

Come Through in Genuine Artistic Creativity That Doesn't

Really Concern

Itself With

How Much

The Movie Makes
in Money or How the

Target Audience Rates that

Unique Song of the Soul of
The Creator of That Play of Life too...

Haha, In Other Words, Don't Like the Story, Create
A Greater One And Play it For Real; It's What i Do And

FoR Me at

Least

my Unique
Nature is A Gift
i Will Never Trade
With Anyone For Any
Other Version than my

Matrix Created Individually by me...
This is what Happens When 'Neo'

And the 'Architect'

And the 'Oracle'

of Holy Sacred

Spirit Become
One 'Trinity'; You'll

'See and Hear' what

(if You Have the
Required "Hard-
Ware" and "Soft Ware")

i Mean When You Get

to the End of the 4th Generation

of the Matrix Movie or Create Your Own Matrix
With the Gift of Unique Aspieness or Whatever

Pieces of the Pie

of Existence

You Deliver
In Your Unique
Neuro-Divergent Ways Next...

And as Far As that 'King James

Stuff' it makes about as Much

Sense As LooKinG Forward to
Hell or Heaven After Life Ends...

Holy C888P That Sounds Like

A Version of A Matrix from 2,000 to
3,500 Years or Go or Even Longer Ago than that...

Meh,

Antiquated
Old Rusty

Matrixes

All Dusty

With Spoiled

Heaven and

Fresh Hell, Nope,

Not

FoR me...

-me

i Call my Wife 'Eve'

And Go Back Even

Further to my Own

Planted Garden of Eden

And Relax Naked Always

Blooming New Flowers of my
LiVinG Tree BeLieVE BeLeaf BeLoVE;

Yet Again this is Only Version 1.6.8 With So Many
More Leaves to Come in Colors of my Living Christmas

Tree Always Up Now...

It's True, i Fit in the
Traditions of Older
Matrixes/Religions/
CuLTuRES Just For Fun too...

When You Are the Director
the Player and the Play of Your

Own 'Truman Show' You Get to Freely
Do this Indeed With Relative Free Will NoW.

And It's True, There Are Even More Than One
Young Indian Woman Sage in my Matrix for Dam Sure

It's Like the Old Beatle's Sgt. Pepper's Album Cover With

the Stone Bust Coming Back From the Dead in the
Burial Ground Soaking Up the Wisdom and Arts
of the Sgt. Pepper's Burial Ground Audience

Behind

With 'Lakshmi'

And More than

One Lakshmi

Inspiring So Much

At The Head of
the Whole Living
Burial Ground Indeed

In the Red Dress And
So Many Other Colors

of What my Band Now
on the Run (Dance/Song) Will Play Next, Hehe...

Other than that Yes, My Suggestion is Create, Direct Your

Own Story, And Play Your Own Play of Life; Yet it's True

Make No

Mistake,

I AM
NOT NORMAL...

IF YOU WANT
NORMIE ADVICE,

DON'T PAY ANY
ATTENTION TO ME... HAha...

In FAct, if You Want Any Advice
AT ALL, i Suggest You Create Your Own..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 11:17 am

AngelL wrote:
QFT wrote:
Yes I been told things along this line too, but this time I am not alone: I read that plenty of others view "gift" of singleness as an oppression tool.

You have read that many hold the opinion that the 'gift of singleness' is being used as an oppression tool. Okay. Many people hold this opinion, I can buy that. Many people also hold the opposite opinion. Having an opinion is a right - but it doesn't make that person right.

I didn't say "many people hold that opinion". I said "I hold that opinion".

And my evidence for that opinion is the fact that they allude to the concept of "gift of singleness" in order to tell you to be happy as single. Telling you to be happy as single is a form of oppression in my mind. Thats why I came up with an idea that "gift of singleness is used as an oppression tool".

And by the way I am not insisting thats the case, I am just laying out my theory, and I am inviting other responders (including yourself) to lay out their.

AngelL wrote:
QFT wrote:
This brings me to make the following point: do you think that the concept of "gift of aspieness" is just as damaging as "gift of signleness"?

Do you see your leap of logic here? You went from, "I hold this opinion and so do others" to assuming we share this opinion.

Well, when someone describes their theory then they keep assuming that "building blocks" of their theory are correct as they are "building up" on them. Of course, "after" their theory is formulated, they can go back and say "wait a second, are those building blocks really correct?" But "in the process" of formulating them they assume that they are -- so that they can complete the description of their theory -- which is what I was doing.

AngelL wrote:
And then you ask us if we believe that there is a logical equivalency between the damaging 'gift of singleness' (you've assumed we agreed that its damaging) with the 'gift of aspieness'

Again, thats how the process of description fo the theory works.

AngelL wrote:
- which by the way, leaves me out as I'm level two, but whatever.

That is surprising because based on your responses to my other threads, you have better socials skills than me. Yet I don't think anyone would ever say I am Level 2. Everyone would agree I am Level 1.

Or are you saying you used to be severely affected but you made some drastic improvements? If so, at what age were you Level 2? When did you start improving? How did you do this? And how old are you now?

By the way, thats what that girl in the "pity friendship" talked about in the other thread said about herself (back at the time when I didn't start ignoring her yet) She said she used to be "severely autistic" as a kid (which I am assuming means level 3 although she didn't say that) but somehow she recovered because "God gave her another chance at life", yet she never said exactly how that happened (other than saying she had speech therapy which doesn't really explain it). But in any case she looks and acts totally NT as of now. Even after she said she was on the spectrum, I simply don't see it, no matter how hard I look.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2021, 12:54 pm

QFT wrote:
I felt for a long time that the phrase "just be who you are" can be used as an excuse to keep person single and friendless which is a bad thing. And I felt like "neurodiversity" movement is damaging because it is largely responsible for that phrase (which I didn't hear back in the 90-s by the way, but I keep hearing it now). Nobody could relate to me.

But finally I found something that maybe help you to relate. I read on google that there is a concept "gift of singleness" that Protestants are using in order to discourage single people from seeking their significant other. Yes I been told things along this line too, but this time I am not alone: I read that plenty of others view "gift" of singleness as an oppression tool.

This brings me to make the following point: do you think that the concept of "gift of aspieness" is just as damaging as "gift of signleness"? In fact they are parallel: "gift of aspieness" pertains to both friendship and romantic aspects, while "gift of singleness" focuses more on a romantic things. But in both cases the person is telling the OTHER PERSON that they ahve a "gift" yet their OWN behavior shows they don't really mean it, since they won't be wishing that kind of "gift" for themselves.

You are correct to be suspicious, the whole “aspie gift” thing was just a fake polite feel-good slogan to make NT`s feel better about themselves. The ultimate litmus test is they wouldn’t want the problems of ASD in themselves or their children.

We live in a fake world where society glosses over difficult things rather than confront the truth because the truth is too unpleasant.

Confronting the reality that a severely autistic teenage boy will never being able to function in society, get a job, live on their own and probably die in a miserable care home run by unmotivated sometimes abusive minimum wage carers is too unpalatable for society to deal with so shy`s away from that with references to Elon musk, bill gates, maths genius, idiot savant, superpowers, difference and gifts.

The gift of singleness is just another fake word no one really means, i had COVID recently, the thought of dying alone is as grim as it gets.

- George Bernie Shaw