Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 1:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
If any lifestyle should be shoved down people’s throats, it should be either the “artsy hipster” or the “anarcho-punk” lifestyle.

Also, fornication should be mandatory, not illegal. I don’t want anybody, male, female, non-binary, et al, to be virgins on their wedding day.

Those are the only two types of people that will drive me nuts. I have a sneaking feeling that a hipster/anarchist hybrid society would be a society that people with ASD will be torn apart in too. People with ASD can barely handle a trip outside of town, yet alone a society like that.

I was never a Christian too but mainly because I found Christianity incompatible with my personality. I already have a good boy image and I don't want to make it worse by being religious.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Dec 2021, 2:05 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I'm not religious by any means, but this thread is interesting. I'm from the secular Northeast. It seems like the people responding to this thread equate "Christianity" specifically with Bible Belt Fundamentalist Protestantism...or Evangelicalism. Christianity is a BIG religion with many branches and offshoots. They don't all agree on what it even means to be "Christian" sometimes.

It just seems like we're really talking about a specific type of Christianity, mainly of the aforementioned Bible Belt Fundamentalist Evangelical Protestant type. Most of what applies to them doesn't really apply to High Church Protestants, Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, "Oriental" (Coptic/Maronite) Christian groups. But those other groups are still Christian none-the-less.

Now, as for the website itself, most of the people seem to be saying, "I did XYZ, then was shunned for it. So, I was done with Christianity." Honestly, it sounds like they were done with (their brand of) Christianity before the ill treatment.

It's like saying, "I joined the Better Business Bureau. They gave me a hard time because I like to short-change customers, cut corners on work, and not report all of my earnings to the IRS. They judged me, so I was DONE with them." ...Maybe you shouldn't have been in the BBB in the first place.
Well, I think the difference is, most of these people did not have a chance not to enter Christianity in the first place.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 2:14 pm

I would say that most Christians I've encountered would welcome a "new" Christian with open arms. Much of Christianity is very much a "proselytizing" sort of religion. Some sects even require active proselytizing.

Other religions are not as welcoming to new converts as Christianity is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 2:18 pm

Sure ... church people will welcome any newcomer ... at least, any newcomer who demonstrates some relation to the people already there, or who exhibits beauty, musical talent, and/or signs of wealth.

In a social sense, church is a lot like high school, only with Bibles and preachers instead of textbooks and teachers.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 2:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
Sadly, many people believe that the Bible is the foundation of Christianity.

It is not.

Jesus is.

Yup

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 10:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say that most Christians I've encountered would welcome a "new" Christian with open arms. Much of Christianity is very much a "proselytizing" sort of religion. Some sects even require active proselytizing.

Other religions are not as welcoming to new converts as Christianity is.

Yes. Christianity, Islam, and Mormonism, are all Evangelical religions. you're supposed make converts. Like Amway.

In contrast Judaism is like a closed fraternity. you're not supposed seek converts, and you have to go through hazing if you wanna be a convert. Well..not really hazing, but you have to jump through some hoops because they dont really like converts.

But some sects of Christianity stress spreading the good news more than do others. Eastern Orthodox churches dont seem to be big on sending out missionaries. But American Evangelical Protestants are all about making converts. And compete with the Mormons (who are out to make everyone, living and dead, into Mormons).

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 10:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
What drove me away from church for a long time was my father quoting Bible verses at me (and making up a few of his own) whenever I disappointed him; sometimes after he had pounded down a few beers.  Of course, the only times I remember him in a church were during weddings and funerals.

I am now part of a church that does NOT demonize diversity, university education, vaccines, or voting for anyone other than Trump (although we did lose a few members when our pastors refused to endorse or promote any political candidate from the pulpit).

Fnord, what church do you belong to? If i may ask? Can you send me a PM. I left my church for all the reasons you mentioned previously.

apex116
Raven
Raven

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 2:05 pm

↑ Anyone can post someone else's esoteric ideologies; but can you elaborate upon your own beliefs?

Let us start with "What is the foundation of your faith?"

Please keep your answer short and simple.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 3:58 pm

These people always seem to pick on Christianity for some reason, never having a similar article about other religions.

It seems the mild mannered nature of the religion makes it an easy target.

- George Bernie Shaw

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 4:00 pm

And unfortunately, the most secular parts of the country are also the most expensive.

Those of us making less than 6-figure salaries are trapped in the Bible Belt.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 4:05 pm

carlos55 wrote:
These people always seem to pick on Christianity for some reason, never having a similar article about other religions.  It seems the mild mannered nature of the religion makes it an easy target.
It is one thing to claim Christianity, and quite another to actually be a Christian.

Asking someone to validate such a claim is not "picking on" them or their religion.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:47 pm

carlos55 wrote:
These people always seem to pick on Christianity for some reason, never having a similar article about other religions.

What makes you think Christians are mild mannered? Think Crusades, the Inquisition, And so on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 8:52 pm

The original intent of Christians was to be stoic, and to "turn the other cheek."

The Crusades, the Inquisition, etc., would have had Jesus turn in his grave.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 11:15 pm

I thought about leaving my church after dad said people at church should kick me out of the church for trying to get the church to follow Covid protocols and Dr Fauci.The church leadership cyberbullied me for it.I was just trying to save lives.Also the policy of you are going to Hell if you have a beer or a glass of wine and all the mistreatment for having beer and wine not even getting me drunk has made me tempted to leave.I would not leave Christianity but I am thinking of joining the house church movement which is not really organized Christianity but my house church would still be affiliated with the church of Christ.I am tempted to leave everytime you buy beer or have a beer in public and people will gossip about you.I thought about leaving church because I was not allowed to ever have a responsible drinking party with friends and/or family even after I turned 21 not even for any of my bdays.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 08 Dec 2021, 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2021, 11:21 pm

carlos55 wrote:

I am guessing it’s more of anti-establishment thing than anti-theistic.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!