Should the government make vaccination compulsory?

Page 4 of 12 [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 10:34 am

SpiceWolf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Does it even matter to you that the covid vaccines are saving lives?
Firstly, I'm yet to be convinced that the vaccines will do more good than harm...
After the millions of people who have received the vaccines, contracted covid, and NOT died from the virus; versus the millions of people who have NOT received the vaccines, contracted covid, and died from the virus?

Over 30 people, whom I have personally known, have died from covid because they refused the vaccine.

Only 2 people, whom I have personally known, have died from covid because they had pre-existing medical conditions before receiving their vaccines.

Now you do the math.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 10:47 am

I seem to think normality will take years and years to come back, I seem to think it'll be like the Great Depression of the 30s which lasted ten years and countries like the US was not fully recovered until the end of World War 2 or the Last Recession which lasted 12 years or more. I don't want to live in a world forever with a fear of uncertainty and all countries turning into police states because of the virus. Before this, there was never all the doom-mongering and when a new flu variant came along.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 11:18 am

Fnord wrote:
After the millions of people who have received the vaccines, contracted covid, and NOT died from the virus; versus the millions of people who have NOT received the vaccines, contracted covid, and died from the virus?

That's simply a false statement.
The overwhelming majority of people who catch the disease survive. Vaccinated and Not Vaccinated.

Fnord wrote:
Over 30 people, whom I have personally known, have died from covid.

If you're not a psychopath, I'm sure that would have been quite traumatic for you.
Nor would the fact that you are, statistically speaking, an extreme outlier be much consolation.

But your personal experience is a very poor basis for formulating a general health policy.
If you are being psychologically affected by the deaths, I would encourage you to seek counselling.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 11:24 am

SpiceWolf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That's simply a false statement.  The overwhelming majority of people who catch the disease survive. Vaccinated and Not Vaccinated.
Wrong again!  Check the official global statistics, instead of those imaginary numbers put out by QAnon.
SpiceWolf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Over 30 people, whom I have personally known, have died from covid.
If you're not a psychopath, I'm sure that would have been quite traumatic for you.  Nor would the fact that you are, statistically speaking, an extreme outlier be much consolation.  But your personal experience is a very poor basis for formulating a general health policy.  If you are being psychologically affected by the deaths, I would encourage you to seek counselling.
I would suggest that you seek out a cardiologist to find out what happened to your missing heart.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 11:42 am

Fnord wrote:
I would suggest that you seek out a cardiologist to find out what happened to your missing heart.

They're all busy for mysterious reasons, totally unrelated to the vaccine rollout.

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 11:59 am

Fnord wrote:
Wrong again!  Check the official global statistics, instead of those imaginary numbers put out by QAnon.

Not wrong, my data source is the Centers for Disease Control.
The NBC rendition is much easier for non-medical people to process but it also contains a link to the cdc source.

https://www.nbc26.com/news/coronavirus/ ... atic-cases
Quote:
Here are those estimates, stated as the percentage of all those infected (symptomatic and asymptomatic) who are surviving:
0-19 Years 99.997%
20-49 Years 99.98%
50-69 Years 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

Even in the worst affected group, their are 19 people out of every 20, who survive.
The overwhelming number of people who contract the disease, survive.
Also this was before omicron, which so far seems to be a far milder disease.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 12:50 pm

OK, I'm going to avoid reading this thread being so I got my booster tomorrow, I'm already nervous about it.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 12:57 pm

Joe90 wrote:
OK, I'm going to avoid reading this thread being so I got my booster tomorrow, I'm already nervous about it.

You’ll be fine. Better with it than without it.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 12:59 pm

Joe90 wrote:

Boosters are half doses so people tend to have milder reactions.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 12:59 pm

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 2:47 pm

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/high ... er-4901941

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 2:52 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

I like that. :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 2:56 pm

While holidays are a good idea, no one should be forced to take a vcation. It should be up to each persons own free will.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 4:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Boosters are half doses so people tend to have milder reactions.

Then how come a few people I know have been ill from the booster? I know one lady who was ill for 3 weeks from having the booster. Surely a vaccine shouldn't make one ill for that long?

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 4:20 pm

Pardon me if this has already been said. Should a government mandate vaccines? Heck no. Vaccines work by preventing people from getting sick from a virus someone else has. So even though you can get the vaccine, if you don’t get it the worst that happens is YOU get sick.

But the proper role of government is to protect its people. So it’s perfectly acceptable to mandate quarantines to prevent the spread of an infectious disease. The difference in principle is subtle but significant.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2021, 4:25 pm

Meh ... whatever ... I am tired of dealing with people for whom "common sense" has little or no meaning.

Unvaxxed people who die from covid (or smoking, or drinking, or riding a motorcycle without a helmet, or whatever) take themselves out of the gene pool, and improve the human species by raising the overall intelligence of same.