Page 9 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 2:20 am

Joe90 wrote:
The people that are supposed to protect you aren't very protective. They just protect the wrong people, and the people that need it most get nothing.

Human rights is well over the top here. You get murderers that get let out of prison too early (even prison is too good for them), and then they murder again. These murderers must be treated with dignity and respect because of their "human rights". What rights should murderers have? And how can you even call them humans? All proven murderers should be lined up against a wall and shot. It would save a lot of innocent lives.

The child protection services are absolutely useless. A child falls over and hurts themselves in the playground and the (genuine, loving) parents get questioned and threatened to have their child taken away. An abusive parent with a starved and bruised child in a very filthy house has to only tell the authorities "my child is just clumsy" and they get believed, then the child suffers more abuse until they die an untimely death. It's so tragic and it angers me how these authorities are so blind to such obvious signs of child abuse and neglect.

And the way everyone is a potential paedophile too. A friend of mine works at a nursery for 3-year-olds, and the staff literally aren't allowed to touch the kids. If a child is hurt and needs comforting, the staff handling it must fill out a big form about the accident and why and where they have to touch the child and at what time and everything, and it takes so long to fill it out and leaving the poor child sitting there crying in pain and feeling frightened. I think it's gone over the top. It's because of pervy creeps like Jimmy Saville that got our society like this.

Stupid place, Britain.

agreed

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 3:29 am

MaxE wrote:
One aspect of British culture that distinguishes it from American culture IMO is the sort of nihilism that produces a TV show like Black Mirror. It's my opinion that America could never have created that show. For a long time I've observed that British SF tends to be "gloomier" than American SF in general. I also see a bit of this in Canadian culture but not nearly so intense.

Give Years & Years a watch (the tv show, not the band). I don't watch a lot of telly but its one I really quite enjoyed and is along the dystopia/SF lines. If you are in the UK you clearly recognise who a couple of the characters are based on.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 3:57 am

-i don't believe it-

and this one...

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2022, 4:07 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
MaxE wrote:
One aspect of British culture that distinguishes it from American culture IMO is the sort of nihilism that produces a TV show like Black Mirror. It's my opinion that America could never have created that show. For a long time I've observed that British SF tends to be "gloomier" than American SF in general. I also see a bit of this in Canadian culture but not nearly so intense.

Give Years & Years a watch (the tv show, not the band). I don't watch a lot of telly but its one I really quite enjoyed and is along the dystopia/SF lines. If you are in the UK you clearly recognise who a couple of the characters are based on.

I did give it a look just now, and although I can't say yet whether I'd consider it nihilistic, it has unmistakable BM vibes. Might give me bad dreams.