Did NATO ‘betray’ Russia by expanding to the East?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2022, 10:39 am

France24

Quote:
The Kremlin claims the West broke a promise it made in the 1990s not to expand NATO, and is now using this claim to justify threats to invade Ukraine.

One of Russia's consistent demands has been for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to stop expanding to the east and pledge never to include Kiev in the security alliance. But NATO has long insisted it has an open-door policy to any nation that meets its criteria for membership.

The United States and NATO dismissed Moscow’s security demands as nonstarters in a written response to the Kremlin delivered last week by the US ambassador to Russia.

NATO has not stopped expanding since the fall of the Soviet Union, growing from 17 countries in 1990 to 30 today, several of which were once part of the Soviet-led Warsaw pact.

To understand Russia’s claims of betrayal, it is necessary to review the reassurances then US secretary of state James A. Baker made to former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev during a meeting on February 9, 1990. In a discussion on the status of a reunited Germany, the two men agreed that NATO would not extend past the territory of East Germany, a promise repeated by NATO’s secretary general in a speech on May 17 that same year in Brussels.

Russia and the West finally struck an agreement in September that would allow NATO to station its troops beyond the Iron Curtain. However, the deal only concerned a reunified Germany, with further eastward expansion being inconceivable at the time.

"The Soviet Union still existed and the countries of Eastern Europe were still part of the Soviet structures – like the Warsaw Pact – which was not officially dissolved until July 1991," said Amélie Zima, doctor of political science at the Thucydide Centre (Panthéon-Assas) in Paris. "We cannot speak of betrayal, because a chain of events that would rearrange the security configuration in Europe was about to take place."

In short, at a time when Westerners were offering the "guarantees" spoken of by Vladimir Putin, no one could have predicted the collapse of the USSR and the historic upheavals that followed.

In addition, these promises were made orally and were never recorded in a treaty,” recalled Olivier Kempf, associate researcher at the Foundation for Strategic Research. "The turning point of NATO enlargement came much later, in 1995, at the request of the Eastern European countries."

For many years, the question of NATO enlargement has fuelled tensions between the United States and its allies, on the one side, and Russia on the other. In August 2008, Georgia's NATO and EU ambitions helped prompt Moscow to back pro-Russian separatists in Georgia’s self-proclaimed autonomous republics of South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Russia also views the alliance's anti-missile shield – established in 2016 in NATO member Romania – with great suspicion. A similar NATO base exists in Poland.

Faced with these Russian concerns, Western governments consistently underscore the defensive nature of the NATO alliance.

Ukraine currently has "partner country" status with NATO. In reality, Kiev still has a long way to go before it can qualify for full membership.

"One of the main rules of the Alliance is that member countries must have solved all of their border issues so as not to integrate a new crisis factor into the Organisation. With the continuing conflict [with Russia over] Crimea, it is unlikely Ukraine would be able to join NATO," said Kempf.

While we did not betray Russia we most certainly used our unchallenged supremacy at the time to constantly remind them they lost the cold war be it eastward expansion and getting them to not oppose our wars. So should we mind our own business and let Putin reunite the old Soviet Union?

Not without considerable cost. The U.S. in the wake of the Trump and Biden administrations and the humiliating defeat in Afghanistan is viewed as internally divided, an incompetent paper tiger. Continuing virtue signaling would just further cement that reputation. Putin and other bad actors filling that vacuum will lead to heavily self inflicted destabilization. Acting macho could end up a lot further destabilizing. In a conventional war Russia is likely to prevail. They have many more troops as they always have had but the weaponry is not third world anymore and in the wake of NATO’s expansion morale should not be a problem. NATO can counter with tactical nuclear weapons but that risks a world ending escalation. It is also likely that a turn out the lights cyberattack would prove tempting as would ordering nuclear retaliation to such an attack.

Truly a heavily self inflicted damned if you do damned if you don’t situation. Maybe fear of mutual assured destruction will deter as it has since the 1950s. America’s internal divisions, not backing up our allies when the chips are down, our hubris and incompetence makes this less likely.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 13 Feb 2022, 11:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

FairyFox
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2022, 10:44 am

NATO made promises they should NOT made. NEVER.

Now they re caught in their glitzy rhetoric. Now they have two solutions.. go to war, I do not think it will happen, or to quietly retract their stupid empty ringing slogans. And looking like complete fools.

Which is I think I would happen.
It

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Feb 2022, 12:16 am

FairyFox wrote:
NATO made promises they should NOT made. NEVER.

Now they re caught in their glitzy rhetoric. Now they have two solutions.. go to war, I do not think it will happen, or to quietly retract their stupid empty ringing slogans. And looking like complete fools.

Which is I think I would happen.
It

Which stupid empty ringing slogans, as you put it, would those be?