CNN trying to find out why people trust Rogan over them

Page 5 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 2:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
Strange that to get an entry level job in a small company requires stringent sets of competitive interviews and testing

To become POTUS all you need to do is win a popularity contest amongst the unwashed MAGA masses.

Well, be born in the US of A, and be at least 35 years of age, too.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 2:34 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I wouldn't pick Trump over him.
I've never said that. I've never voted Republican / Conservative.
I wouldn't expect anyone else to pick Trump, either. Especially the second time.
My point is that I wouldn't pick either one of them.
I couldn't in good conscience, vote for Biden after seeing those videos and hearing allegations.

It's not ideal but I'd have to vote for someone else.
I'd hope millions of Americans felt the same way, not wanting a creepy-toucher to be elected.

I don't really understand your electoral system, so please help me out.

How did Biden get to be the Dem nominee in the first place?
Was he elected by citizens in one of the primaries (is that the right word?), or was he nominated by the party?
Basically, why did it have to be him?
Weren't there other Democratic hopefuls who didn't do creepy things to children?
If he was the only Dem choice, I'd have to "waste my vote" and vote for a third party candidate.

Biden was chosen at the Democratic party convention, after getting the most support of any candidate in his party. He then had the support of the Dems as a party to run against Trump.
When Americans vote for either candidate for President, it's by state, where the winner with the most popular votes earns that state's electoral votes. These electoral votes are based on population numbers in said state (though California by all accounts should have much more electoral votes than they have, considering the number of their citizens). The winner and next President is whoever gets the most electoral votes, which are added up in the Electoral College.
I know, the Electoral College is a very archaic, contrived, out-of-date system which should be replaced by election by direct popular vote.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 2:40 am

Thanks. I understand the electoral college process because it's similar to our electoral system (rep by pop), which also sucks -- but is necessary.

I'm still not clear though. When you say that Biden was chosen at the DNC because he got the most support in his party, do you mean that regular people voted for him? Or just the politicians in his party? (e.g., is that something you voted for as a regular citizen?)

Also is it true that Americans have to register ahead of time with one of the political parties, and then they kind of have to stick with voting for that person? If you are registered as a Republican (for example), can you change your mind on voting day and vote Dem?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 2:41 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Strange that to get an entry level job in a small company requires stringent sets of competitive interviews and testing

To become POTUS all you need to do is win a popularity contest amongst the unwashed MAGA masses.

In about 20 years somebody is going to uncover Trump's entry into politics was prank There was a rumor that Trump never dreamed that shouting brainless racist slogans and hiring a neo-fascist would win him the repbulcan primaries let alone beat Hillary Clinton by pushing wacked out conspiracy theories.

He may be laughing at the people who voted for him right now, I wouldn't be surprised he thought the capitol storming was hilarious.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 2:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

In about 20 years somebody is going to uncover Trump's entry into politics was prank There was a rumor that Trump never dreamed that shouting brainless racist slogans and hiring a neo-fascist would win him the repbulcan primaries let alone beat Hillary Clinton by pushing wacked out conspiracy theories.

He may be laughing at the people who voted for him right now, I wouldn't be surprised he thought the capitol storming was hilarious.

Well, he can laugh about it in prison, which is possibly where he's headed for his shady business dealings, among other things.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 3:01 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thanks. I understand the electoral college process because it's similar to our electoral system (rep by pop), which also sucks -- but is necessary.

I'm still not clear though. When you say that Biden was chosen at the DNC because he got the most support in his party, do you mean that regular people voted for him? Or just the politicians in his party? (e.g., is that something you voted for as a regular citizen?)

Also is it true that Americans have to register ahead of time with one of the political parties, and then they kind of have to stick with voting for that person? If you are registered as a Republican (for example), can you change your mind on voting day and vote Dem?

Delegates sent to the national convention are regular citizens who had been chosen at state conventions held by their parties. The state conventions are comprised of voting citizens sent from the county level. Any person who is a registered voter can take part in a party convention, though some states have it limited to party membership.
Yes, Americans have to register to vote beforehand. Unfortunately, certain states have relied on voter suppression in order to make taking part in the vote more difficult, particularly for groups that have been singled out, such as ethnic minorities. This in particular is a problem in red states that have used the bogeyman of voter fraud to justify this voter disenfranchisement.
As for your last question: one does not have to register with any party to vote. And even when registered with any particular party, one can vote for whomever one likes.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 3:11 am

DNC - Thanks - That makes sense. So it's a select few people chosen from the party membership. I wonder how those people are chosen to go? But I'll save that for another day.

Registering - So you have to register beforehand to clarify your ID, but you don't have register with a specific party? That's good to know. Here we register ahead of time to make sure our name / address will be available for cross-reference with our ID at the polling stations. We don't register with a party unless you want to be in their publicity / fundraising / advocacy work.

I remember my friend in Ohio telling me she was registered with the Dems, and as a result she only got info about the Dems, and she could only go to a Dem polling station which only had Dem names on the ballot? I must be remembering it wrong. Even she thought it was stupid because conceivably people could switch their mind to a different party on the last day.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 4:52 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
DNC - Thanks - That makes sense. So it's a select few people chosen from the party membership. I wonder how those people are chosen to go? But I'll save that for another day.

Registering - So you have to register beforehand to clarify your ID, but you don't have register with a specific party? That's good to know. Here we register ahead of time to make sure our name / address will be available for cross-reference with our ID at the polling stations. We don't register with a party unless you want to be in their publicity / fundraising / advocacy work.

I remember my friend in Ohio telling me she was registered with the Dems, and as a result she only got info about the Dems, and she could only go to a Dem polling station which only had Dem names on the ballot? I must be remembering it wrong. Even she thought it was stupid because conceivably people could switch their mind to a different party on the last day.

Voting in the primaries for a Presidential candidate one might be limited by party affiliation to specific choices, depending on the rules set by which ever state they're in. Otherwise, a voter can vote for any candidate, regardless of party membership.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 7:04 am

If you’re not a registered Democrat/Republican, you can’t vote in the primaries….but you could, obviously, vote in the general election.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 7:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you’re not a registered Democrat/Republican, you can’t vote in the primaries….but you could, obviously, vote in the general election.

That's only true in some states. I live in Illinois and have voted in the Democratic primaries without being a member of the Democratic Party.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 8:08 am

Oh all right. I stand corrected.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 5:01 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You're dismissing inappropriate touch and the violation of personal space because you don't think it's "sexual" to stroke people, or stick your nose in their hair and tell them how beautiful they are?

I don't care if you think it's sexual or not, or whether the law thinks it's sexual or not.

Perhaps you don't know how it feels to be exploited and groped by someone in a position of authority -- on full video, with no one coming to your aid or believing that it could possibly be traumatic.

How long ago did these incidents occur?

As recently as a decade ago, and even more so in previous decades, this kind of behavior was much more commonplace and socially accepted than it is now, at least here in the U.S.A. (I can't speak for other countries.) When done by an American politician with a young child, it would likely have been regarded as, essentially, a variant of the standard American politician behavior of baby-kissing (see the Wikipedia article on Baby kissing).

I agree that it can be very disconcerting to the person being touched, and I'm very glad that the relevant social norms have changed.

Still, I would hesitate to judge people too harshly ex post facto for violating social norms that didn't exist yet or were only beginning to be widely recognized.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 18 Feb 2022, 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2022, 5:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Oh all right. I stand corrected.

A two-week suspension for you! :mrgreen:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2022, 5:30 am

theprisoner wrote:
The Biden video. It's creepy. He's constantly voilating their personal space. and it's children, even worse.

"Hey baby how old are you?"

He keeps touching them, stroking them, even kissing, them.

Now if he was their grandfather, maybe I could understand it. Some families are very friendly. Touchy-feely.

But he's a stranger. A non-relative. That's what makes it creepy.

I must admit that it is quite difficult to imagine that video was compiled in good faith. In fact, I’m confident that it wasn’t.

There are a few cases there where he’s clearly making someone uncomfortable and should ease off. In the majority, that doesn’t seem to be the case - he’s reassuring restless children, or disarming them with a joke, or ensuring that they have a photo with the Vice President (and future President) that they can show people.

The real kicker, though, is the slow-mo stuff where he says “I like children”. Like, yeah, liking children generally isn’t seen as a bad thing. Would be more worrying if he said “I hate children”.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2022, 12:19 pm

Some of us maybe more sensitive to what we perceive as creepy behavior because of negative childhood experiences.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2022, 12:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Some of us maybe more sensitive to what we perceive as creepy behavior because of negative childhood experiences.

- and because of negative adolescent / adult experiences.

- and because we are parents ourselves, so we know how to treat children.

- and because we're autistic -- we can imagine the sensory element of what Biden felt, and what the children felt.

- whether people want to believe it was sexual or not, Biden was using the children for his own sensory pleasure.