Page 9 of 14 [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 11:56 pm

ironpony wrote:
txfz1 wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
txfz1 wrote:
Define pander? Would you accept a law that forbade a parent from teaching religion to their children?
to be brutally honest, I would accept a law that would ban parents from indoctrinating children into religion that is harmful for reasons that I’ve already explained.

If the Bible taught people to kill themselves on their 40th birthday, they would do that too.

Do you see the hypocrisy as you want to use the gov't gun to force parents to your viewpoint? Parents have a right to raise their children, the schools do not have the same rights.

Do a lot of guy people think the word gay is offensive? I know two gay people who said they use the word all the time, and they hate how people think it's offensive they said.

It is the attitude behind the word that can be offensive.
"Gay" is simply a 3 letter word. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 11:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Depends on the context. Sometimes, it can be offensive; other times, it is not.

Something like the "N" word is almost always offensive.

Not in the black community.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 1:42 am

Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
txfz1 wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
txfz1 wrote:
Define pander? Would you accept a law that forbade a parent from teaching religion to their children?
to be brutally honest, I would accept a law that would ban parents from indoctrinating children into religion that is harmful for reasons that I’ve already explained.

If the Bible taught people to kill themselves on their 40th birthday, they would do that too.

Do you see the hypocrisy as you want to use the gov't gun to force parents to your viewpoint? Parents have a right to raise their children, the schools do not have the same rights.

Do a lot of guy people think the word gay is offensive? I know two gay people who said they use the word all the time, and they hate how people think it's offensive they said.

Not always.. sometimes it'd spelled/pronounced "gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 3:47 am

txfz1 wrote:
You've overlooked a key part of the bill as it's not all students, it limits the age (kindergarten to third grade).

So...

The law is not harmful because...it only bans talking about LBGT issues in the grade levels in which those issues are not talked about ANY way? Which means the law doesnt do anything ...helpful, or harmful. So its just a useless law. Just PR.

A useless law being pushed by the Florida GOP just to pander for votes - because the local GOP has nothing of substence to offer voters...so it just panders to the culture wars with inane legislation like this?

Well OKAY...thats great!

Lets just have a useless law that only exist to make the GOP look like its busy protecting family values...when in fact the GOP is not doing squat for you! :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 4:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
txfz1 wrote:
You've overlooked a key part of the bill as it's not all students, it limits the age (kindergarten to third grade).

So...

The law is not harmful because...it only bans talking about LBGT issues in the grade levels in which those issues are not talked about ANY way? Which means the law doesnt do anything ...helpful, or harmful. So its just a useless law. Just PR.

A useless law being pushed by the Florida GOP just to pander for votes - because the local GOP has nothing of substence to offer voters...so it just panders to the culture wars with inane legislation like this?

Well OKAY...thats great!

Lets just have a useless law that only exist to make the GOP look like its busy protecting family values...when in fact the GOP is not doing squat for you! :lol:

As I have said, it helps to keep the activist teachers, on both sides of the political divide, in check.
I have also pointed out that some concepts are too complicated for young minds to comprehend.
I.E. What may be discussed is "Age Inappropriate".

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 4:12 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
txfz1 wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

Not always.. sometimes it'd spelled/pronounced "gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

How gay is that? :roll: :mrgreen:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 4:57 am

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

So...

Well OKAY...thats great!

I have also pointed out that some concepts are too complicated for young minds to comprehend.

Thats already addressed in what I said. I said the issues are already NOT discussed at those grade levels so this new law forbids what is already NOT done anyway.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 5:05 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

So...

Well OKAY...thats great!

Thats already addressed in what I said. I said the issues are already NOT discussed at those grade levels so this new law forbids what is already NOT done anyway.

So what is the problem, then?

Also, look at my thread: "Activist Teachers". 8)
viewtopic.php?t=404668#p9000395

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 6:57 am

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

So...

Well OKAY...thats great!

Thats for YOU to tell me.

I just got through saying that...this law doesnt solve any actual problem.

So why is it being enacted?

Apparently you agree - that it doesnt solve any problem- so- you agree that it shouldnt be enacated. :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 10:53 am

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

So...

Well OKAY...thats great!

Even if it doesn’t restrict anything in actuality, the entire PR campaign promotes homophobia/transphobia. That’s the problem, manipulating minds of mentally ill people and teaching them that bigotry against lgbt people is a-okay since it’s government sanctioned. Governments should Not be teaching people to fear or hate lgbt people. Grow up; lgbt rights are human rights. Knock it off with the oppression and move on to working on betting society instead of trying to drag it backwards.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 1:16 pm

Pepe wrote:
Do you have a link?
Do you have a link where he says this?

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/50 ... -governor/
Here's a link to the full video of him saying it, the article only contains a small snippet: https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/1501001977802764294

Pepe wrote:
Remember, it is children of ages 4 to 10 the bill is referring to.
Is it really appropriate to discuss or instruct children that young about sexual diversity?

Pages 4-5, lines 97-101:
Classroom instruction by school personnel or third
parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur
in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-
appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in
accordance with state standards.

I've underlined it for you.

Kids between 4 and 10 see the world around them, and they ask questions. Do you really believe that children should keep their LGBTQ+ parents a secret at school until they become whatever age "age appropriate" refers to?
What happens when their parent(s) pick them up from school? Do they have to hide in the bushes or something? Stay in the car with tinted windows?
Are their parents banned from PTA or PTC? (actually, this is Florida we're talking about, that might be a rhetorical question)

Pepe wrote:
I don't think children before puberty have a realistic idea of what their sexuality is.
How could they if they don't experience sexual feelings?

My first crush (on a girl) was in first grade. It had nothing to do with "sexual feelings".
You don't need "sexual feelings" to know which gender you prefer, otherwise 100% of asexual people would be bi.

Pepe wrote:
There is a difference between a question from a child coming up and the teacher introducing the concept to the child.

And if the question from a child came up, this bill would prevent the teacher from discussing it, and it would allow the parents to sue the school. Read the bill.

Pepe wrote:
Secondly, if no one is doing this, I.E. The problem doesn't exist, why the concern?

That's exactly the point. There is no concern over teachers being inappropriate, it's just a smokescreen for the actual issue at hand.

^ What Goldfish said.

Pepe wrote:
Well, I haven't seen where DeSantis says this so I can't really comment.

DeSantis didn't say it, it's in the bill.

Pages 4-5, lines 97-101:
Classroom instruction by school personnel or third
parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur
in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-
appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in
accordance with state standards.

Pepe wrote:
Personally speaking, I don't have a problem with parents being referred to.
It is their child after all.

So, hypothetically, you are an elementary school student, and you have a secret that you want to confide to a professional, but you don't want your abusive parent(s) to find out...

As I said, it could be well meaning, but it's hard to say how it will play out in Real World scenarios:
Lines 91-95:
This subparagraph does not prohibit a
school district from adopting procedures that permit school
personnel to withhold such information from a parent if a
reasonably prudent person would believe that disclosure would
result in abuse, abandonment, or neglect, as those terms are
defined in s. 39.01.

Personally, I wouldn't want to risk talking to school staff.

Pepe wrote:
Are you sure about this?
I was under the impression Disney stopped donations.

They didn't "stop" donations, they "paused" them. And it's a little too late now, the bill is already going through.
https://www.whereischapek.com/

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 1:30 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

So...

Well OKAY...thats great!

I also think it's mostly PR and should be a useless law. The counterpoint is there are teachers online explaining they're coming out to a class. Why would a teacher express their sexual orientation to a middle school class? How prevalent is this, I've no clue but if it's not a problem then why all the fuss about it. Teachers should be focused on the basics as education is in a world of hurt, considering California is graduating hs kids that can't read third grade level.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 2:08 pm

txfz1 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
txfz1 wrote:

So...

Well OKAY...thats great!

I also think it's mostly PR and should be a useless law. The counterpoint is there are teachers online explaining they're coming out to a class. Why would a teacher express their sexual orientation to a middle school class? How prevalent is this, I've no clue but if it's not a problem then why all the fuss about it. Teachers should be focused on the basics as education is in a world of hurt, considering California is graduating hs kids that can't read third grade level.

..to be role models for LGBT kids. To put on full display that they are just as valid and valued as any other person, that it's Ok to accept and be who you are. Because being closeted is extremely damaging to LGBT kids and they need brave out role models to show them that they are equivalent to their heterosexual peers who no one bats an eye if they display signs of their sexual orientation via dating/courtship & PDA. To teach the rest of the school children and society at large that gay people exist and it's perfectly fine and ought to be accepted just the same as everyone else without fear or shame. All those reasons and more.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 2:25 pm

That's fine for hs or middle school but elementary school kids have not reached sexual maturity or are worried about dating.

edit: I wrote middle school when I intended elementary, same for above post.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Mar 2022, 2:45 pm

You don't wait for kids to become sexually mature to introduce them to concepts like relationships or marriage.
The social aspect of this is totally child-friendly.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 2:57 pm

I think I understand your point and basically agree with it. I don't have an issue with "Heather has Two Mommies" as explaining to children parenting/relationships. "My Princess Boy" which was designed to tell five year olds they can change their gender is pushing the limits, imo.