Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,318
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

27 May 2022, 6:39 pm


_________________
My WP story


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,941
Location: temperate zone

27 May 2022, 7:17 pm

Where do you see "anti Chinese propaganda"?

The tail end has the voice of a lady speaking in a thick east Asian accent. But I dont hear her spouting propaganda.



shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,649

27 May 2022, 7:34 pm

if anything, it's anti-Xi propaganda.
Winnie the pooh does not stand for all Chinese people.


_________________
I can read facial expressions. I did the test.


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,886
Location: Pacific Northwest

27 May 2022, 10:37 pm

No it's not propaganda. This is an actual movie coming out. Look it up. Christopher Robin abandons them so they get their revenge.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,886
Location: Pacific Northwest

27 May 2022, 10:39 pm

IMDB page, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19623240/


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 48
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,847
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

27 May 2022, 11:07 pm

A.A. Milne must be turning over in his grave.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,941
Location: temperate zone

28 May 2022, 7:22 am

Its an interesting idea. A spoof of slasher movies. Trying to remake Winnie the Pooh as Jason, or Freddy Kruger.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,941
Location: temperate zone

28 May 2022, 7:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Its an interesting idea. A spoof of slasher movies. Trying to remake Winnie the Pooh as Jason, or Freddy Kruger.


But what am I missing?

How is any of that connected to politics involving China?



MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,318
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

28 May 2022, 7:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Its an interesting idea. A spoof of slasher movies. Trying to remake Winnie the Pooh as Jason, or Freddy Kruger.


But what am I missing?

How is any of that connected to politics involving China?

Uh, apparently there is a commonplace impression in China that Winnie the Pooh (in particular the Disney representation) looks like Xi JinPing. I don't personally see the resemblance, but apparently it's a thing. It would seem that posts about Winnie the Pooh are suppressed on Chinese media (although this may just be propaganda).

My point was that, by making a film that shows Winnie the Pooh as some sort of monster, the propagandists behind it are actually trying to poison peoples' minds against Xi. Obviously, a tongue-in-cheek post, although I suppose too subtle for the average reader, sorry!

EDIT my attempts at humor are too clever by half and nobody gets them! WAAAAAA!


_________________
My WP story


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,941
Location: temperate zone

28 May 2022, 7:57 am

MaxE wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Its an interesting idea. A spoof of slasher movies. Trying to remake Winnie the Pooh as Jason, or Freddy Kruger.


But what am I missing?

How is any of that connected to politics involving China?

Uh, apparently there is a commonplace impression in China that Winnie the Pooh (in particular the Disney representation) looks like Xi JinPing. I don't personally see the resemblance, but apparently it's a thing. It would seem that posts about Winnie the Pooh are suppressed on Chinese media (although this may just be propaganda).

My point was that, by making a film that shows Winnie the Pooh as some sort of monster, the propagandists behind it are actually trying to poison peoples' minds against Xi. Obviously, a tongue-in-cheek post, although I suppose too subtle for the average reader, sorry!

EDIT my attempts at humor are too clever by half and nobody gets them! WAAAAAA!

Poor baby!

We...the audience... apologize for...not being mainland Chinese, and therefore not getting your joke :lol: !

We all will try harder next time.

Moving on...its a real movie. A cute parody of slasher movies made by Westerners with no knowledge of that Chinese meme, and no interest in commenting upon the internal politics of China .

But...political dissidents in China probably ...would indeed get a kick out of it. Indeed I bet that the Falun Gong movement is downloading and uploading copies of the movie as we speak- and is distributing it to ethnic Chinese communities world wide- if not into china itself as well! Too bad that the makers of the film will probably not get a cent from the Chinese underground sharing millions of files of their film! Lol!



SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,533
Location: China

28 May 2022, 8:32 am

MaxE wrote:
Uh, apparently there is a commonplace impression in China that Winnie the Pooh (in particular the Disney representation) looks like Xi JinPing. I don't personally see the resemblance, but apparently it's a thing. It would seem that posts about Winnie the Pooh are suppressed on Chinese media (although this may just be propaganda).

Pooh memes linked to Xi Jinping were trending on a certain social platform. That social platform later banned the meme, but it's not clear if the platform was out of its own security concerns or if the issue was really officially noticed. Because platforms are responsible for out-of-control speech, this often makes the platforms themselves overly enthusiastic about censorship.
In real life, or in private online communications, there is no impediment to mentioning this meme. But this meme is quite outdated in China.

This claim makes sense, but I expect the propaganda to exaggerate it.

Moreover, it seems that to Westerners concerned with Chinese politics, the concept of Winnie the Pooh = Xi Jinping seems to be more impressive than it is to mainland Chinese. It seems to be because the BBC gave relevant reports.
This seems like a little thing from a previous life to me. That's on the premise that I'm a fairly politically concerned person. Most Chinese people don't actually know about it.
But here I see at least three different people making this statement.

The focus of the Western media often leaves real mainland Chinese confused.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 28 May 2022, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,318
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

28 May 2022, 8:43 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Uh, apparently there is a commonplace impression in China that Winnie the Pooh (in particular the Disney representation) looks like Xi JinPing. I don't personally see the resemblance, but apparently it's a thing. It would seem that posts about Winnie the Pooh are suppressed on Chinese media (although this may just be propaganda).

Pooh memes linked to Xi Jinping were trending on a certain social platform. That social platform later banned the meme, but it's not clear if the platform was out of its own security concerns or if the issue was really officially noticed. Because platforms are responsible for out-of-control speech, this often makes the platforms themselves overly enthusiastic about censorship.
In real life, or in private online communications, there is no impediment to mentioning this meme. But this meme is quite outdated in China.

This claim makes sense, but I expect the propaganda to exaggerate it.

Moreover, it seems that to Westerners concerned with Chinese politics, the concept of Winnie the Pooh = Xi Jinping seems to be more impressive than it is to mainland Chinese. It seems to be because the BBC gave relevant reports.
This seems like a little thing from a previous life to me. But here I see at least three different people making this statement.

The focus of the Western media often leaves real mainland Chinese confused.

@SkinnedWolf I hope you can forgive my attempt at humor. It was mostly aimed at my fellow Westerners anyway, despite @naturalplastic's previous comment. I wouldn't begin to speculate on what is considered funny in China.


_________________
My WP story


SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,533
Location: China

28 May 2022, 8:48 am

MaxE wrote:
@SkinnedWolf I hope you can forgive my attempt at humor. It was mostly aimed at my fellow Westerners anyway, despite @naturalplastic's previous comment. I wouldn't begin to speculate on what is considered funny in China.

What really surprises me is that not many Westerners get what you mean here.
Part of the reason may be that the few members who care about Chinese politics are not very active right now.
But another possibility is that maybe not that many people bought these tiny anti-China propaganda? Or actually many Westerners who care about politics don't care about China? I'm adjusting my assessment of "the outside world" on this.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,318
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

28 May 2022, 9:47 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
What really surprises me is that not many Westerners get what you mean here.
Part of the reason may be that the few members who care about Chinese politics are not very active right now.
But another possibility is that maybe not that many people bought these tiny anti-China propaganda? Or actually many Westerners who care about politics don't care about China? I'm adjusting my assessment of "the outside world" on this.

I live in the US and I don't expect any Chinese person to care about my opinions on internal Chinese politics. Here in the US, we have plenty of our own problems. There is a special situation regarding Russia, in which Russia actively interferes with our domestic politics via a massive propaganda campaign, which succeeds perhaps not so much because they are so clever at it but because there are people here who deliberately enable them, because they believe that they stand to benefit politically from the instability the Russians are trying to achieve. I don't see the Chinese government doing this, or if they are, they are failing miserably lol. Maybe they are actively doing this in Australia but I don't see them doing it here.

EDIT of course everybody's spying on everybody else, I'm not going to point fingers.


_________________
My WP story


SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2022
Age: 23
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,533
Location: China

28 May 2022, 10:06 am

MaxE wrote:
I live in the US and I don't expect any Chinese person to care about my opinions on internal Chinese politics.

humm... I have long interpreted China's internal politics through the "internal perspective" of different factions. I think I may be nearing the end of this road, so I'll pick some outside perspectives for reference.
And understanding why outside and inside perspectives are skewed helps me understand what is "democracy" and what is not.

I do have a habit of studying individual postings to understand a mindset.
But if you're uncomfortable with that, I can adjust the frequency of my participation.


_________________
With the help of translation software.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.


MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,318
Location: Mid-Atlantic US

28 May 2022, 10:20 am

SkinnedWolf wrote:
MaxE wrote:
I live in the US and I don't expect any Chinese person to care about my opinions on internal Chinese politics.

humm... I have long interpreted China's internal politics through the "internal perspective" of different factions. I think I may be nearing the end of this road, so I'll pick some outside perspectives for reference.
And understanding why outside and inside perspectives are skewed helps me understand what is "democracy" and what is not.

I do have a habit of studying individual postings to understand a mindset.
But if you're uncomfortable with that, I can adjust the frequency of my participation.

You might be interested in my opinion out of a desire to better understand me as an individual. But I truly don't think I have enough information to offer any sort of informed opinion of internal Chinese politics. I suspect there's a certain degree of turmoil and some innocent people have run afoul of the situation, but then the same thing is happening here although these things manifest quite differently. For example, in the US nobody, so far as I know, is detained simply for criticizing the Republican Party. But that doesn't make us a Utopia. I see people outside the US claiming to be afraid even to travel here.

In Christian scripture there's a famous line about "casting the first stone" although few Christians seem to have internalized that message despite giving it lip service. Not sure if that's relevant but I said it anyway.


_________________
My WP story