How much longer until mass shootings make us hermits?

Page 2 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 4:25 pm

^^^ Sums up the motive behind a lot of the shooters. Many were radicalised over the internet.

One of the killers is currently a celebrity to the NRA and GOP (his surname starts with R) and this enables the idea to other impressionable youth that gun wielding vigilantes who kill "wokes" are heroes.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jun 2022, 4:26 pm

After Columbine, people just had the idea. It's social contagion. A bit like how there has been more Islamic extremism in the West since 9/11, or how teen suicides reported in the media tend to lead to more teen suicides.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 4:38 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
After Columbine, people just had the idea. It's social contagion. .

Enabled by social media

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 5:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Does anyone have a clue as to what's changed over the last few decades?
The ascendency of Trump and the Christian Nationalist movement.

And the woke riotous, censorious, "bullying back" response.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 5:22 pm

Slippery Slope

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jun 2022, 5:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Enabled by social media

Predates social media by a few decades. Although that's less ridiculous than blaming Trump.

Not to say that there haven't been shooters inspired by Trump, or their social media buddies, or the thought of people paying attention to their online "manifesto", but the trend predates those things.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 6:06 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Enabled by social media

Predates social media by a few decades. Although that's less ridiculous than blaming Trump.

Not to say that there haven't been shooters inspired by Trump, or their social media buddies, or the thought of people paying attention to their online "manifesto", but the trend predates those things.

It was in the '90's. So the internet existed but was the early stages. You could argue that internet forums or bulletin boards were the social media at the time.

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Enabled by social media

Chatrooms and forums were around for a long time by the time Columbine occured. But it would be several more years before social media as we know it took off.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 8:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Covid made everyone a hermit last year.

Mass shootings are obviously a problem, but they dont make us into "hermits". Though they might force you to homeschool your kids.

I take a different position.
The factors that lead up to mass shootings are the issues.

I seriously doubt psychopaths are involved in mass shootings and then engage in "suicide by cop".
It is damaged people who become sociopaths through psychological and physical trauma.

Regardless, I personally can vouch for a hermitic lifestyle in addition to giving society the bird. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 8:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
The ascendency of Trump and the Christian Nationalist movement.[/color]

I shouldn't have to point out that Trump was a one-term President and had no effect on the history of mass shootings in Amurrrriaa.
You including him was simply gratuitious.

And also consider:
If your "forefathers" hadn't created the 2nd amendment, due to the fear of a Trump-like coup, these mass shootings wouldn't be the problem they are today.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 8:31 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Nades wrote:

Gun ownership has always been high in the US but this sudden explosion of mass shootings over the last 20 years is baffling.

One of the contributing factors is that they’ve happened before. If this weren’t the case, maybe a school shooter wouldn’t think of it and would opt for a different brand of villainy.

I recommend vehicles to be the "villainy" of choice.
Preferably, A Russian or Chinese tank. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 8:34 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I have to wonder what happened.My generation ate lots of food with dyes , wonder bread ,tons of sugar ,watched violent cartoons, read violent books that were required reading(Lord of the Flies), tv violence , etc… and we didn’t have mass shootings every week and there were plenty of guns laying around.
Our main goal was to sneak off during a pep rally or assembly to smoke weed and cigarettes, not kill the teacher.

Ask our ruling overloads who want to disarm the general population through terrorist acts via "Manchurian Candidates".

SpiralingCrow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 1:55 am

Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
The ascendency of Trump and the Christian Nationalist movement.[/color]

I shouldn't have to point out that Trump was a one-term President and had no effect on the history of mass shootings in Amurrrriaa.
You including him was simply gratuitious.

And also consider:
If your "forefathers" hadn't created the 2nd amendment, due to the fear of a Trump-like coup, these mass shootings wouldn't be the problem they are today.

The forefathers did not fear a coup so much, rather a lot of states were on the frontier and protection was needed for all external threats. Armed ordinary citizens were the first line of defense during the American Revolution and afterward, at least until army was deployed and arrived.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 2:13 am

The_Walrus wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Enabled by social media

I was thinking of Anders Brevik, Brendon Tarrant, Dylan Roof and about half a dozen incel shooters who were all inspired by boasts they made on the internet

But yes, this predates the internet but my point is its "enabled" meaning further exacerbated by,.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 2:17 am

Misslizard wrote:
/\ More likely the easy availability of meth.It’s wasn’t around when I was in high school.Weed and pharmaceuticals were.Looking at my county’s jail roster, most violent offenders also have a meth possession charge.
However they are probably smoking pot AND meth.They also like to abuse Xanax so they can sleep.
https://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/cgi/viewc ... cjpeerpubs

How many mass murderers were also meth users?. Or any kind of drug user?

Ive never heard drugs linked to the Columbine killers, or Sandy Hook, or the Las Vegas shooter, etc.

And historically drugs were even less controlled than guns in American history. In the Nineteenth Century you could buy patent medicine off of the shelf that contained opium, or cocaine.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 4:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
How many mass murderers were also meth users?. Or any kind of drug user?

Almost all of them are on something. It's usually marijuana. https://attackersmokedcannabis.com/

naturalplastic wrote:
Ive never heard drugs linked to the Columbine killers, or Sandy Hook, or the Las Vegas shooter, etc.

These were all potentially linked to mind-altering legally prescribed drugs: - Columbine to anti-depressants, drugs known to cause insane and suicidal behaviour in a minority of users. The Las Vegas shooter had copious amounts of Valium in his blood - Valium users usually take other similar drugs. Sandy Hook is a bit murkier - it was announced that Lanza had no drugs in his system at the time of the shooting but for some reason authorities refused to release his psychiatric/drug history, so a bit of an unknown.

naturalplastic wrote:
And historically drugs were even less controlled than guns in American history. In the Nineteenth Century you could buy patent medicine off of the shelf that contained opium, or cocaine.

True, but usage of illegal drugs / prescription of legal mind-altering drugs have both rocketed to the moon in recent decades.