Page 7 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 12:45 pm

Luke certainly seems to be written by the doctor Luke, it has more detail and precision than the other two.
Matthew has the most of the insane moral standards teachings, it actually low-key encourages men to castrate themselves...but it's not meant to be acted upon , only to make you realise you can't please God.

Mark is really short and to the point. There may have been some of the three people conferring with each other.

Luke also wrote 'acts of the apostles' which talks about what happened after the crucifixion.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 12:47 pm

one of the good things is that he [Luther] didnt intend to start a seperatist movement, but rather to clean up corruption in the existing church.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 12:52 pm

I don't remember what the contradictions are exactly. Two have Jesus wearing robes of different colours when the Roman guards are mocking him.
One gospel says he was given a purple robe and I think the other gospel says scarlet.

I didn't notice anything else.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 12:55 pm

It's unsurprising that he isn't mentioned much because most historical writings were not preserved. Ancient documents had to be copied by scribes.for hundreds of years to reach mainstream acceptance .

The Bible was copied by monks who were devoted to that task. It's the most well preserved document in history with the possible exception of the old testament as preserved in Israel.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:02 pm

klanka wrote:
I don't remember what the contradictions are exactly. Two have Jesus wearing robes of different colours when the Roman guards are mocking him.
One gospel says he was given a purple robe and I think the other gospel says scarlet.

I didn't notice anything else.

Here are a few of them:

Last words of Jesus:

Matthew 27:46 The last words of Christ: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

Luke 23:43 The last words of Christ: "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”

John 19:30 The last words of Christ: "It is finished!”

A large stone was placed at the entrance of Jesus’ tomb. Where was the stone when the women arrived?

They saw that the stone was rolled back (Mark 16:4)

They found the stone rolled away from the tomb (Luke 24:2)

They saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb (John 20:1)

As the women approached, an angel descended from heaven, rolled away the stone, and conversed with the women. Matthew made the women witness the spectacular rolling away of the stone (Matthew 28:1-6)

Did anyone tell the women what happened to Jesus body?

Yes. A young man in a white robe (Mark 16:5). Two men ... in dazzling apparel later described as angels (Luke 24:4 and 24:23). An angel - the one who rolled back the stone (Matthew 16:2). In each case the women were told that Jesus had risen from the dead (Matthew 28:7; Mark 16:6; Luke 24:5 footnote)

No. Mary met no one and returned saying, They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him (John 20:2)

How did Judas die?

Throwing down the pieces of silver in the temple, he departed; and he went and hanged himself (Matthew 27:5)

Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. (Acts 1:18) Ew.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:07 pm

klanka wrote:
Luke certainly seems to be written by the doctor Luke, it has more detail and precision than the other two.
Matthew has the most of the insane moral standards teachings, it actually low-key encourages men to castrate themselves...but it's not meant to be acted upon , only to make you realise you can't please God.

Mark is really short and to the point. There may have been some of the three people conferring with each other.

Luke also wrote 'acts of the apostles' which talks about what happened after the crucifixion.

Most scholars argue that these books were written much later by scribes.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:08 pm

Yeah that discrepancy of Judas death. I could never reconcile that. Most Christian s who want to say the Bible is flawless say he hung himself then fell down.
Facts do get distorted and the Chinese whisper thing does make eye witness testimony somewhat unreliable, but it's the best thing we have.

The other discrepancies could be different people turning up to witness the same things at different times.

The four gospels forming a work, like a movie series is what I think is inspired. So it's God working through imperfect human beings. Which is a pattern of his behaviour.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:11 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
klanka wrote:

Most scholars argue that these books were written much later by scribes.

They could have had the 'oral tradition' of telling each other these things them writing them down.
Luke's account seems to be well researched I'll have to see if the scholars admit it was written in his lifetime.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:18 pm

“Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John—were all composed within the Roman Empire between 70 and 110 C.E (± five to ten years) as biographies of Jesus of Nazareth. Written a generation after the death of Jesus (ca. 30 C.E), none of the four gospel writers were eyewitnesses to the ministry of Jesus.

All three texts recount the events of the life of Jesus from roughly the same perspective (from the Greek noun synopsisor “a seeing all together” or “general view”). Mark, the earliest gospel, was likely written just after the destruction of the second Jerusalem Temple in 70 C.E, and was known by both Matthew and Luke when they undertook the task of producing their own narratives.

The Gospel According to Luke, written in roughly 85 C.E. (± five to ten years), most likely during the reign of the Roman Emperor Domitian, is known in its earliest form from extensive papyri fragments dating to the early or middle of the third century.”

https://www.college.columbia.edu/core/node/1754

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 20 Jun 2022, 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:18 pm

The Roman historian Tacitus documented the conditions which lead to Jesus’ crucifixion, the crucifixion itself, and the subsequent effects the crucifixion had upon the local populace.

Tacitus is seen as being a relatively credible and objective Roman source.

It would have been nice, of course, if there was an objective account of the crucifixion as it actually happened.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:21 pm

In the gospel of John, the author says he was an eyewitness to the events :)

He literally describes himself sitting next to Jesus and being the "disciple that Jesus loved"

I think that's another hint.

In the other three the love is not emphasized. But in the one that says 'just believe' love is emphasized.

Last edited by klanka on 20 Jun 2022, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Roman historian Tacitus documented the conditions which lead to Jesus’ crucifixion, the crucifixion itself, and the subsequent effects the crucifixion had upon the local populace.

Tacitus is seen as being a relatively credible and objective Roman source.

It would have been nice, of course, if there was an objective account of the crucifixion as it actually happened.

Tacitus wasn’t there, though. He was, yet again, writing from a future standpoint.

I’m not arguing that Jesus didn’t exist and wasn’t executed, though.

I just don’t think that the Bible can be relied upon as a reliable source.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 20 Jun 2022, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:23 pm

klanka wrote:
In the gospel of John, the author says he was an eyewitness to the events :)

He literally describes himself sitting next to Jesus and being the "disciple that Jesus loved"

People make stuff up all the time to make themselves sound credible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:27 pm

Somehow, for better or for worse, Christianity became a widespread religion.

All religions are based on some truth, and some myth…..probably mostly myth.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Somehow, for better or for worse, Christianity became a widespread religion.

All religions are based on some truth, and some myth…..probably mostly myth.

I think that the Life of Brian is the most realistic portrayal of Jesus we’ve got.

The sad reality is that people have been killed in nasty ways and for no good reason frequently and throughout history. People also claim to be some religious figure. These days they end up in psychiatric units, back then they were heralded as divine beings.

There were other messianic cults in the region at the time, but they have not withstood the test of time.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 1:33 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
He’s like most people of his ancient time. Very little is actually known about Him.

That’s probably because he wasn’t very important and didn’t do much that was worthy of note.

He had a few fans that created tall tales about him. It’s hard to say how much truth is or isn’t in these tall tales.

If they were just few fans, why would they be willing to be thrown to lions for their faith? That is an evidence that resurrection did happen. Because if it didn’t, then they would have known they made it up (since they were the ones from whom the news originated) and nobody would want to die for a fairy tale.