Page 2 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 11:15 am

Some of the Capitol (Keystone) Cops seemed to be enjoying themselves amid the 1/6 mayhem: They took selfies with the Insurrectionists.

Certainly, the George Floyd protests, and others of that ilk, were taken much more seriously by the police.....

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 11:59 pm

Well it seems to me that more death and destruction was caused by BLM as a whole but some people think that 1/6 was a lot worse because it was an attack on the government, and it gets a lot more traction from people because of that.

But is an attack always worse on the government always worse though, compared to a non-government attack that caused more damage? For example 1/6 was a failed insurrection compared to a highly successful BLM defund the police movement, which worked in a lot of places, and there was more death and destruction involved in BLM.

So let's compare BLM and 1/6 to two different real life events. John Warnock Hinckley Jr. attempted to assign the President and failed. The Columbine shootings, resulted in 12 deaths and more than 20 other people wounded.

So was the attempted assasination of a President, worse than the Columbine murders, because it was an attempt on the government still, and that is considered worse to people, for the same reason 1/6 would be considered worse than murders and destruction in the BLM riots?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:26 am

I feel like you're exaggerating about the "murder" part. Yes, of course there was destruction within the George Floyd riots, and others riots which were mostly in reaction to other police killings. I don't condone the damage to property at all. That's felony criminal mischief, which should carry a state prison sentence.

How about if Prime Minister Trudeau was threatened like Pence was? How about if your Parliament Building was ransacked? Wouldn't that be worse than, say, if the truckers protesting COVID restrictions would start rioting in Ottawa, damaging businesses?

Conservatives tend to believe that the "BLM riots" are worse than a potential coup. No....a potential coup is much worse.

It's all very felonious.....and all who perpetrate this stuff should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:59 am

ironpony wrote:
Well it seems to me that more death and destruction was caused by BLM as a whole but some people think that 1/6 was a lot worse because it was an attack on the government, and it gets a lot more traction from people because of that.

But is an attack always worse on the government always worse though, compared to a non-government attack that caused more damage? For example 1/6 was a failed insurrection compared to a highly successful BLM defund the police movement, which worked in a lot of places, and there was more death and destruction involved in BLM.

So let's compare BLM and 1/6 to two different real life events. John Warnock Hinckley Jr. attempted to assign the President and failed. The Columbine shootings, resulted in 12 deaths and more than 20 other people wounded.

So was the attempted assasination of a President, worse than the Columbine murders, because it was an attempt on the government still, and that is considered worse to people, for the same reason 1/6 would be considered worse than murders and destruction in the BLM riots?

The coup had it been successful would have ended a lot of human rights for over 300,000,000. This does not take into account the effect of the most powerful and dominant culturally powerful country turning authoritarian. The Trump government would have been less hostile to Russia, how many would test have affected?

Beyond the defunding of police, the BLM riots had a role in speeding up racist “anti racism” training, the mainstream acceptance of the tenants-of Critical Race Theory. Outside of the property damage and lives lost, the question has to be asked how much of a role the rioting had in these policy shifts. Say there were no riots. You still would have had the largest, most widespread protest movement in American history. You still would have had thousands of young people out in the streets in lily white small town and suburban America. Even without the intimidation factor that would have advanced the woke agenda.

One reason more time is spent on the insurrection as I mentioned in OP is the riots are over(at least for now). Some of the woke gains are being reversed. The coup is ongoing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 7:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like you're exaggerating about the "murder" part. Yes, of course there was destruction within the George Floyd riots, and others riots which were mostly in reaction to other police killings. I don't condone the damage to property at all. That's felony criminal mischief, which should carry a state prison sentence.

How about if Prime Minister Trudeau was threatened like Pence was? How about if your Parliament Building was ransacked? Wouldn't that be worse than, say, if the truckers protesting COVID restrictions would start rioting in Ottawa, damaging businesses?

Conservatives tend to believe that the "BLM riots" are worse than a potential coup. No....a potential coup is much worse.

It's all very felonious.....and all who perpetrate this stuff should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

It's hard to say which would be worse of those two. That's a good question.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 7:38 pm

But as for a lot of Americans thinking the attempted coup on 1/6 was very bad, do most Americans only think that the attempted coup was bad because it was republicans doing it? If it was the other around and the republican party won the election, and democrats attempted a coup, the majority of Americans would have supported the attempted coup and would not think it was such a big bad deal, like they do when republicans commit it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 7:53 pm

If the Democrats did this, I would have exactly the same feelings about it.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 8:05 pm

If Democrats did this it would be a comedic punchline like they were in 2016.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 9:42 pm

That's a funny meme. Well a lot of BLM are considered to be democrats though, so if that's true, than they are no picnic, as shown in the meme though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 9:57 pm

Nope…that’s a bullcrap meme.

I don’t know of any Democrat who feels compelled to vote his/her conscience.

The Republicans lost the election….and the Trump contingent were criminally sore losers.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:28 pm

It seems that democrats were sore losers in 2016 as well,but maybe not as sore, since they didn't attempt to take over the capital building. However, it seems both sides do not like the voting system and perhaps would feel it would be better if there was a different system in place?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:32 pm

I wish we would get rid of the Electoral College.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish we would get rid of the Electoral College.

Me too.

It’s stupid.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:52 pm

But if voting for a leader is not the best system, what is then? I mean having a 'King' or 'Queen', without any say on who is not the best way either, is it?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:52 pm

ironpony wrote:
It seems that democrats were sore losers in 2016 as well,but maybe not as sore, since they didn't attempt to take over the capital building. However, it seems both sides do not like the voting system and perhaps would feel it would be better if there was a different system in place?

The side that loses in any given election is unhappy with the voting system. The other side doesn’t usually mind it too much.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:55 pm

ironpony wrote:
But if voting for a leader is not the best system, what is then? I mean having a 'King' or 'Queen', without any say on who is not the best way either, is it?

We aren’t against a voting system. We are against the Electoral College:

When citizens cast their ballots for president in the popular vote, they elect a slate of electors. Electors then cast the votes that decide who becomes president of the United States.

I’d prefer getting rid of the Electoral College and only vote directly for candidates instead.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 22 Jun 2022, 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.