Page 10 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 60  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 7:47 pm

A lot of people think that it’s in a woman’s best interest to not have the right to choose. They think that getting an abortion from being raped will make the bad situation worse and will cause further long-lasting psychological and biological damage.

They think that having children is a woman’s purpose, so there’s a different standard based on gender.

It’s all nonsense because they are treating women like children who can’t make intelligent, independent choices.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
They won't stop at Roe.

They want to overturn Griswold, Lawrence, Obergefell--anything that contradicts 1950s societal norms.

Who is "they" ?

Who's doing this?

The Supreme Court, or state legislature?

The current Supreme Court and right-wing politicians.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 7:55 pm

No idea why anyone would think people should be fine with this. The people making the rules are so dumb. Some of them won't let you get rid of an ectopic pregnancy, some would force you to carry a baby if you were raped. People who think this is OK don't understand how absolutely devastating this could be. For instance, in certain states if you have a miscarriage and doctors are suspicious, you can go to prison. Women in red states are so, so screwed.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 7:57 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
A lot of people think that it’s in a woman’s best interest to not have the right to choose. They think that getting an abortion from being raped will make the bad situation worse and will cause further long-lasting psychological and biological damage.

They think that having children is a woman’s purpose, so there’s a different standard based on gender.

It’s all nonsense because they are treating women like children who can’t make intelligent, independent choices.

I hate these people so much. Imagine looking at a child's face and seeing the man who attacked you in it. Not to mention the trauma this causes for children who find out.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:05 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

I was in this situation from rape.
I chose to keep my baby, despite the pressures to abort.
It's really triggering to read about "seeing the person's face" and the fact I should have terminated.

I ended up losing the child spontaneously.
It's even more hurtful when some people suggest that was a "blessing".
I've never been allowed to properly grieve.
I'm still struggling with that loss of rights.

Women are incredible, insightful and determined beings.
Whether we decide to choose yes or no, it should be our choice and ours alone.

I can't imagine having someone else treat me like a child, and tell me what I had to do.

I'm so sorry this is happening in America.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:10 pm

Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The people making these laws are privileged white males. Ain't going to happen.

There are no women or BIPOC in the Supreme Court?

There are.

Plus Ketanji Brown-Jackson will be joining the court soon, replacing Stephen Breyer (bottom row, second from right)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 24 Jun 2022, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:10 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
One of the women Justices, Amy Coney Barrett (a Trump appointee), voted to overturn Roe V Wade.

Trump appointee = MAGA

TRUMP = elected by the citizens of USA.

Appointments = part of his job.

I'm not defending Trump. I don't like Trump and never did, but that doesn't mean the woman shouldn't have her job or her say as an educated judge.

I don't know what the answer is.

I'm just totally shocked that all Americans aren't treated equally under law, in terms of what state they live in, but also which genitals they happen to have between their legs.

Are there other American laws which differ for men (you are human) and women (you are not) ?

Men are required to register for selective service, women are not.I disagree with this.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Men are required to register for selective service, women are not.I disagree with this.

What is selective service?
Do you mean the military?

I would disagree with that too.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

It's really triggering to read about "seeing the person's face" and the fact I should have terminated.

I can't imagine having someone else treat me like a child, and tell me what I had to do.

That must have been a horrible thing to go through. I didn’t get pregnant, but for a moment, I thought I might be, so I can relate in a small way.

I’m used to that type of thinking because I grew up hearing it. It’s damaging for people to hear who aren’t even victims, I think.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:32 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
That must have been a horrible thing to go through. I didn’t get pregnant, but for a moment, I thought I might be, so I can relate in a small way.

Thanks.
For a long time I wouldn't talk about my baby on WP.
I didn't want to hear that I should be thankful for the loss.
I didn't want to hear that I made the wrong decision as a mother.
I didn't want to be judged like I was pro-life, because I'm not.
I'm extremely pro-choice even if my choice at that time seemed controversial.

The last few years I've had an extremely difficult time with grief.
I didn't get to process it because of shame and societal expectation.
I've been researching a lot about pregnancy and infant loss awareness.

I bet there are many of us on WP who are suffering from miscarriage, stillbirth, or infant / child loss.
I wish there were a thread for it.
Losing a baby under any circumstance shouldn't involve secrecy.
It doesn't mean we aren't real women, feminists, or advocates for civil rights.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Yes, when a male turns eighteen he has to register in case there is a draft.Women are just as capable of serving.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Yes, when a male turns eighteen he has to register in case there is a draft.Women are just as capable of serving.

I have quite a few male, American cousins. When I was growing up my mother always said that they might "show up" at our house unexpectedly, if there were ever a draft. I was always on high alert thinking that a male cousin would just walk into my house and I'd have to share my space.

It makes no sense to me, either. Have a draft for all eligible citizens, or don't have one at all.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Isabella if it was me that triggered you I'm so sorry. I don't think that aborting a child that is the result of rape is what one should do, rather it should be up to the individual. After all I strongly believe in people's right to choose. I'm sorry to hear about your loss and didn't want to hurt anyone who went through such a thing with my words. I'm very sorry.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 9:01 pm

Big hugs Ivpin!

No, it's not your fault at all. Your comment didn't trigger me. Actually, you reminded me that I should say something on behalf of all mothers' voices, so I think it was a good thing overall!

The thing about faces is something I've heard for years and I understand where people are coming from. They don't mean any harm and they're trying to be sympathetic. I'm well aware that it's said with compassion.

My problem has been that I denied myself a period of mourning. I felt like other parents could grieve losses, but I was somehow silenced because of the details. I found out that many parents feel shame about pregnancy loss regardless of how the child was conceived. It's something that women (all parents) aren't supposed to discuss in polite conversation because it upsets others - much the same way autistic people try to act NT so that other people won't be uncomfortable. There's quite a movement of parents speaking out about miscarriage, still birth, and infant loss and it's a remarkable community.

None of this is your fault.

- Sorry for the derail.

Back to Roe v Wade.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 9:19 pm

So what does overturning Roe Vs Wade actually mean

1. Having an abortion can land you in jail, what millions of women do right now in the US will make them criminals in the eyes of the law
2. if you are raped by a man you will have to carry the child to term and the rapist will have visitation rights
3.26 US states expected to bring in new restrictions on abortions include Texas, Louisiana, Idaho, Mississippi and Missouri
4, abortion starts at fertilization

Wealthy middle class white christians shown below

Have made a decision that impacts on the poorest and marginalised populations who are often black, native american and hispanic who will now be forced to do illegal underground abortions resulting in more deaths of young women and more incarcerations of doctors, therapists and young teenagers trying to undo their pregnancy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 9:21 pm

And of course the master manipulator has praised the supreme court saying that "god made the decision"
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/2 ... e-00042284