Page 7 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 60  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
. . . I'm surprised more men aren't freaking out in USA because with all these potential pregnancies they will be on the hook for at least 18 years of child support every time they want to hook up. That includes married fathers.
In that respect, nothing much has changed.  It is the quantity of unplanned pregnancies that is likely to increase.

I have an idea, though.

Since the other Republican ideal is to allow for open carry of firearms, let us bring back the "Shotgun Wedding"!

Won't that be fun?

:roll: ↑ Sarcasm folks.  Sarcasm

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:08 pm

I get your joke, but it's not just about Republicans or red / blue as I'm sure you know.

It's about the rights of all parents.

Mothers and fathers should all have a say about their reproductive rights.

I'm not even getting into the topic of medical necessity and high risk pregnancies, even for responsible, married, Liberal women. For example my daughter would likely die if she were to get pregnant. But, I guess no one cares about the physical and mental health of the mother -- as magz demonstrated earlier.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Jun 2022, 5:11 pm

KitLily wrote:
I'm sorry to hear this, Americans.

Any time now, it'll be the same ruling in Britain. It's spreading all over the world, look at Poland. :x

Actually, we've never had the same right in the UK that all Americans enjoyed until yesterday. We need two doctors to agree that being forced to complete the pregnancy would have a negative impact upon your health, and even then, that's only good up to 24 weeks (~six months). After that, the net tightens and there needs to either be a risk to the mother's life, there has to be a severe foetal abnormality, or the mother risks grave injury.

That being said, things seem to slowly be getting better - for example, abortion was recently made much more accessible in Northern Ireland. And our situation is not nearly as bad as some of the trigger laws in the US, which are frankly evil. At the same time, many states are among the best places in the world for abortion rights, and remain so now.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:19 pm

Women have more freedom in North Korea than they do in America.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:19 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
At the same time, many states are among the best places in the world for abortion rights, and remain so now.

This is good to know.

I shudder to think what it's like for people in less-accessible or non-accessible states.
Young people and married couples don't necessarily have a say which state they live in.

All Americans should have the same rights under the constitution.

But then again, I guess that's the point of this whole topic / thread.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:21 pm

As for Texas, the best solution would be to ban religion.

Albania did it from 1967-1990, and women there had the best freedom ever.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:32 pm

ASAN Condemns Supreme Court Decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization

Quote:
ASAN condemns today’s ruling dismantling Roe v. Wade and its protections. In light of the critical role that the Supreme Court plays in interpreting and enforcing laws that affect people with disabilities, we are disgusted that the Court has thrown out decades of settled law to attack our rights to bodily autonomy and self-determination. This decision will have dangerous ripple effects far beyond abortion, and we have grave concerns about its effects on people with disabilities.

Today’s ruling does not make abortion illegal in all 50 states. It does make safe, legal abortion much harder to access for many people who need it, because it allows individual states to pass laws making abortion illegal. This ruling will especially hurt people with disabilities, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ people, immigrants, and domestic abuse and sexual assault survivors.

There are many reasons why abortion access is especially critical for disabled people. Some disabled people are not able to safely carry a fetus to term, either because of our disabilities or because of medications or other treatments for our disabilities. Some people with disabilities are more likely to miscarry, and may be at increased risk for criminalization in states that outlaw abortion. Disabled people are also more likely to face sexual assault and domestic violence. This is especially true for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. More limits to abortion access will create further barriers for disabled people who can become pregnant when they try to escape their abusers.

People with disabilities already disproportionately struggle to access abortion care. Disabled people are more likely to live in poverty and have difficulty paying for travel to receive an abortion, especially in states where there is not access to a clinic. Travel itself can be a major barrier for many people with disabilities. Disabled people are more likely to be wage workers rather than salary workers, and may not be able to afford to take time off of work to travel and recover. Abortion clinics may be inaccessible or may not provide the supports people with disabilities need. People with disabilities are more likely to rely on Medicaid or Medicare for health insurance–but Medicare and Medicaid cannot legally cover the cost of an abortion. Some states, like Texas, have created legal liability for people who help someone get an abortion. This may put people who provide supports to disabled people trying to get an abortion at risk of being sued or of criminal penalties if states make helping someone get an abortion a crime.

The way the Court decided this case will almost certainly encourage attacks on other important civil rights. Reversing Roe in this way invites attacks on other important civil rights related to bodily autonomy. This decision invites people and groups to bring cases to try to reverse Lawrence v. Texas, the case that covers the legal right for consenting adults to have sex without persecution from the state or federal government. The way the Court made this decision also threatens the wider right to privacy, which is really a right to make certain choices without government interference. The right to privacy includes the right to access birth control and other contraceptives – which some people with disabilities may need for health reasons – the rights for two adults of the same gender to get married, the right for two adults of different races to get married, the right of people to not be sterilized if they do not want to, the right to make our own medical decisions, and more. This decision may lead to the reversal of many of the cases supporting these rights, which we explain in more detail here. This decision also attacks the stability of the whole legal system. Even rights that are not directly threatened by this opinion are in jeopardy because the Court has made it easier for itself to overturn its own past decisions. This means that future cases will damage protections that are important to people with disabilities. The decision is likely to lead to the weakening of the ADA and other important disability and civil rights laws.

We are outraged at the harm this will cause in our community. We demand that Congress respond to this dangerous decision immediately. Congress should protect bodily autonomy and self-determination by codifying the right to an abortion in federal law. The disability community has fought long and hard for bodily autonomy and self-determination, and we will always oppose attacks on these rights. Disabled people have faced eugenics throughout history. We still do today. Disabled people must be the only ones who decide whether we have children or not, and when. We should not be forced to continue fighting for our right to both pregnancy and abortion on our own terms. Enough is enough. We must move forward instead of back.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:38 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
As for Texas, the best solution would be to ban religion.

Albania did it from 1967-1990, and women there had the best freedom ever.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's all about religion.
I know lots of extremely religious people in blue states.
Think of the Latino communities in California, for example.
There are more Muslim and RC people in blue states than red.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I get your joke, but it's not just about Republicans or red / blue as I'm sure you know.

The 6-3 decision to overturn Wade Vs Roe (1973) was on party lines. Your republican party has turned into the Taliban.

I expect the next thing they will vote on is the mandatory re-introduction of christian syllabus in government schools.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

The 6-3 decision to overturn Wade Vs Roe (1973) was on party lines. Your republican party has turned into the Taliban.

I expect the next thing they will vote on is the mandatory re-introduction of christian syllabus in government schools.

My Republican party?

I'm not American and very much not Republican.

But yup ... whatever happened is sick.

I thought Biden is a Democrat?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

My Republican party?

I'm not American and very much not Republican.

But yup ... whatever happened is sick.

I thought Biden is a Democrat?

Sorry! thought you were in the USA Isabella....carry on

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:06 pm

Anyone have any solutions about the Trump stacked Supreme court?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:12 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Sorry! thought you were in the USA Isabella....carry on

No problem.
I wasn't even sure if you were talking to me.

I've never said anything remotely Republican on here but that's OK.
It's easy to mix people up.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Anyone have any solutions about the Trump stacked Supreme court?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:25 pm

There are certain states that are known as "abortion sanctuaries." My state, New York, is one of them. There is unrestricted access to abortion in New York State. And minors don't need parental consent.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:27 pm

* votes Misslizard for President *